Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Terrible Robot posted:

Whenever I see a stock S13/14 (a rare occurrence these days) I always get unreasonably happy.

And then I get really :smith: because I know it is only a matter of time before it gets sold to some flat brimmed hat wearing shitlord that's gonna ruin it with poo poo suspension mods and then wrap it around a tree trying to deliver tofu.

Wait, I can get someone to deliver tofu in an s13/14/15?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Only if you live on top of a mountain.

And they're typically not as good for tofu as say your basic toyota corolla hatchback.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

saw this glorious thing out in the wild today. Not pictured are the glued on hood vents.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

El Jebus posted:

Wait, I can get someone to deliver tofu in an s13/14/15?

There was a guy in Pembroke Pines FL that used to deliver Jimmy Johns in a slammed black S14.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

These 3 pictures tell a story.

My Mom had a Plymouth Sapporo back in the day. Decent engine, terrible 3 speed tranny.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

MrYenko posted:

There was a guy in Pembroke Pines FL that used to deliver Jimmy Johns in a slammed black S14.

He probably got distracted reaching for his pinchie and crashed it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Chris Knight posted:

My Mom had a Plymouth Sapporo back in the day. Decent engine, terrible 3 speed tranny.

Did the guy who designed the doors on the plymouth sapporo ever meet or talk to or exchange drawings with the guy who designed the quarter panel on the plymouth sapporo?

because that didn't happen on the dodge 600.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Powershift posted:

Did the guy who designed the doors on the plymouth sapporo ever meet or talk to or exchange drawings with the guy who designed the quarter panel on the plymouth sapporo?

because that didn't happen on the dodge 600.

It looks like it was a 4 door - 2 door mismatch. The 4 door 600's lines work. The 2 door, it's like they cut out the rear doors and shortened the body and said "Ehh, close enough."

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Panty Saluter posted:

My car is a funny bird. When the revised EPA estimates came out I called bullshit initially (22/29 my rear end, OBUMMER!!! :argh: ) but then when I saw that was worst case, like with A/C I could see that. Good old Honda B-series, efficient if you never use it.

I've whacked 40 MPG with a B18A coupled with an automatic. Granted, on a road trip, with an AEM cold air intake, with outside temps below freezing, and on a car with a PO that installed a 3rd party FPR that had it running a bit lean, but cruise was set north of 80 for most of the trip.

But IIRC it was rated something stupid like 24-25 MPG highway.

As for 14's - there's plenty of Civics and Accords on the road that take 14's - Accords still took them on the DX model until at least 1997, and possibly on the LX. Civics still took them until at least 2000 even on the EX. I would imagine if I still had my 1980 F-150, I'd be up poo poo creek, since it took 235/75R14s (I think originally it took something a bit smaller, but still 14s - I stuck some cheap chrome wheels on it).

neckbeard posted:

I walk by this when I walk my dog and it makes me sad

front bumper is hanging off on the passenger side too

My boss told me he ran across a GN at a local Chevy dealer the other day.

.... $10k, which would be a drat good price for a real GN. Except while it has (some of) the badges and the right body style, it's the wrong color (silver?!), and has the wrong cluster and interior.

MRC48B posted:

There are several GM products that require this, as well. It's not a rare design flaw.

What's funny is GM ranges from "put vehicle into VW service position" to "remove 2 pins and 2 plugs, entire headlamp assembly falls out in your hands". Thank gently caress my car is in the former for the headlights, but to even think about any rear bulbs (aside from the license plate light), you need two different torx bits. Why can't they just make them accessible from the trunk like every other car manufacturer?!

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Chris Knight posted:

Chrysler must hold some record for the most bizarre business transactions of any car company.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

some texas redneck posted:

Why can't they just make them accessible from the trunk like every other car manufacturer?!

My old Cavalier had its tail lights accessible from the trunk, except they put the cutout for the driver's side in the wrong spot. When you turned the socket to remove it, the connector would turn under the sheet metal and would physically prevent you from removing it. Had to pull the entire assembly off to remove the bulb.

(An engineer obviously mirrored the cutout from the passenger side, not realizing that the bulb would turn in the opposite direction relative to the hole.)

Then again, on my VW, removing the entire assembly is the proper way of getting to the tail light bulbs.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

some texas redneck posted:

My boss told me he ran across a GN at a local Chevy dealer the other day.

.... $10k, which would be a drat good price for a real GN. Except while it has (some of) the badges and the right body style, it's the wrong color (silver?!), and has the wrong cluster and interior.

The GN was an options package on top of the Buick Regal T-Type, which had the same powertrain as the GN, but without the blacked-out paint and some other options, and came in most of the same paint colors as the regular Regal. You could even order a T-Type with a bench seat and column shift. (I've seen one.)

:eng101:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
At this point, id just get a clean G body for 4500 or so and then put another 5 or 6 or 10 into it. At least you can enjoy it then. The interior and being profiled as a drug dealer kills the whole dream for me tho.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
lovely UHaul cost me a trackday early this morning. Was basically right between my house and Chuckwalla Valley Raceway at 3am when the tread separated on the passenger trailer tire. By the time UHaul roadside came out and replaced it I would have missed the riders meeting and the start of the trackday so I turned around and went home. At least I caught it before the tire deflated and tossed my trackbike down the highway - it isn't insured. $300 loss isn't as bad as $3.5k.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 6, 2015

otaku69
May 18, 2003

Powershift posted:

These 3 pictures tell a story.

it took me a second to realize what was going on there, at first I thought the gap was from body sag due to rust.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34165776

At least six dead after a rally car veered off course into a crowd in Spain.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The rally car is a solitary hunter. As she rounds the corner of the gravel path, she takes sight of some defenseless humans. Seeing her moment, she strikes. The crowd scatters, but a few fall prey to her sharp bumper and knobby tires, honed by decades of evolution for this very task.

A passing ambulance hears the cries of the humans, but the wild rally car is not one to share her meal. The ambulance will have to wait his turn.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
House across from me has these in the driveway. The owner is a hoarder, and they both ran when parked about 2 years ago. Look close, thats a Trooper and some sort of Volvo sedan hiding in there.
http://imgur.com/a/KuuFm

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

The rally car is a solitary hunter. As she rounds the corner of the gravel path, she takes sight of some defenseless humans. Seeing her moment, she strikes. The crowd scatters, but a few fall prey to her sharp bumper and knobby tires, honed by decades of evolution for this very task.

A passing ambulance hears the cries of the humans, but the wild rally car is not one to share her meal. The ambulance will have to wait his turn.

:golfclap:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Mercury Ballistic posted:

House across from me has these in the driveway. The owner is a hoarder, and they both ran when parked about 2 years ago. Look close, thats a Trooper and some sort of Volvo sedan hiding in there.
http://imgur.com/a/KuuFm

The Volvo looks to be an 850 of some kind, they are really nice cars when cared for. Shame.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

This is a fantastic post. I could practically hear his kindly old voice calmly describing acts of brutal violence.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Terrible Robot posted:

Whenever I see a stock S13/14 (a rare occurrence these days) I always get unreasonably happy.

And then I get really :smith: because I know it is only a matter of time before it gets sold to some flat brimmed hat wearing shitlord that's gonna ruin it with poo poo suspension mods and then wrap it around a tree trying to deliver tofu.

All of the S13/14's I see in the area have already been ruined by "doriftu" dipshits. "Stanced" "Slammed", lovely, loud exhausts, and you know they're still running that loving truck mill instead of upgrading to a "real" Nissan engine.

One pulled in to the Arco when I was filling up one evening, and by the sound of it I expected it was going to be stranding the guy on some road within a month.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUw0Kv5Jrwg

So many levels of idiocy here

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That was awesome.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I loved where he had the water bottle filled with gasoline.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lol at that woman screaming, makes it seem ten times worse than it is.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Sorry but aint no way this wasn't set up.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I wonder how much hair the guy lost when the gas can vapors exploded. That had to suck.

Also, that was awesome, wrong thread.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
uh... did he just BLOW ON IT?

in related vids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jytzSA24jFY

I spy with my little eye, something helpful.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jytzSA24jFY

I spy with my little eye, something helpful.

Oh man, that video is great.

On one hand yeah, if that had been me I certainly would have grabbed the hose first thing. On the other, then you have emergency personnel arriving to a car fire wanting to spread to a house fire, and a downed power line laying in a puddle of water . Odds are the hose would still be running too because I dropped it and sprinted as soon as that line started popping. The other half of the power line/the drop is right above the faucet.

What a great reminder how fast one safety hazard can turn into more severe ones rapidly. That video is like EMERGENCY RESPONSE CHECKLIST 101. *holding cellphone* "Oh, you want me to call 911??? :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm not sure a garden hose would have been able to stop that anyways.. once the plastics in a car ignite the situation snowballs pretty quickly. Maybe if they had reacted instantly and gotten the hose under the car it would have helped but they weren't thinking that quickly.

The upside is I'm pretty sure the half of the wire attached to the house would not have any current. :v:

Not that I'd gently caress around with it.

Probably made those fire fighter's day though, they love having actual calls.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

MikeyTsi posted:

All of the S13/14's I see in the area have already been ruined by "doriftu" dipshits. "Stanced" "Slammed", lovely, loud exhausts, and you know they're still running that loving truck mill instead of upgrading to a "real" Nissan engine.

One pulled in to the Arco when I was filling up one evening, and by the sound of it I expected it was going to be stranding the guy on some road within a month.

I was following some beater Mazda 6 that was slammed, stanced and had a huge fartcan. It also had blacked out tails, and the emblem had been cut up so that it was just the M. The other emblems (which were drilled into the car) were gone and only the holes remained. It was funny to follow him and just watch how much the car had to be beating the poo poo out of him. It really looked like there was 0 travel left in the suspension.

That reminds me, I need to get a new dash cam.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oh no someone pinched the Prius and it froze that way.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/09/09/2016-toyota-prius-official-photos/

Don't get me wrong, the Prius has never been a good looking car, but at least it had a "function over form" philosophy to justify it. This seems like an intentional effort to make it offensively ugly.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

D C posted:

Sorry but aint no way this wasn't set up.

Kind of thought this too because of how quick the other guys jumped off the car, almost anticipating the explosion.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Oh man, that video is great.

I really hope the old man smiling about it was the one that owned the car, how loving stupid can you be to continue revving the car with loving embers shooting out of the exhaust knowing the cats are cooking, to try to "blow it out". It takes an ungodly amount of stupidity to do that and you deserve to have your car burn to the ground.

What a shame because it was a gorgeous car too.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Bumper be all like

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

xzzy posted:

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/09/09/2016-toyota-prius-official-photos/

Don't get me wrong, the Prius has never been a good looking car, but at least it had a "function over form" philosophy to justify it. This seems like an intentional effort to make it offensively ugly.

I don't know why but those sketches make it look worse than the real life photos, and the fact that it's red in the real photos I think make it look worse than the sea of silver ones we'll see on the streets. But yeah there's no two ways about it, it's way worse than the outgoing model. I would so enjoy if a manufacturer wanted to make a sporty and affordable hybrid with decent electric-only range for daily commutes, but anime-ifying a Prius doesn't make it sporty. Slap some batteries in an FR-S or something but geez, stop whatever this is.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The new miata and the prius had a baby.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

davebo posted:

I don't know why but those sketches make it look worse than the real life photos, and the fact that it's red in the real photos I think make it look worse than the sea of silver ones we'll see on the streets. But yeah there's no two ways about it, it's way worse than the outgoing model. I would so enjoy if a manufacturer wanted to make a sporty and affordable hybrid with decent electric-only range for daily commutes, but anime-ifying a Prius doesn't make it sporty. Slap some batteries in an FR-S or something but geez, stop whatever this is.

They tried to do that with the CRZ and everyone whined about it being too heavy and slow for a sporty car.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

xzzy posted:

Cylons. It's Cylons all the way down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Both of the guys in that video are almost too stupid to live.
Just the comments made.
At one point dipshit dad says "I can't believe it". Well, I can - you're running so rich that you destroyed your cats and the car can barely run. Solution: rev it so much that the remainder of the cats gets red hot and melts the fuel line (apparently.)

What was the hissing noise at the early part of the fire? Not the tires that went later. It sounded like there was pressure in the fuel tank feeding the fire, or maybe the ignition was still on and the fuel pump was running, also feeding the fire. That would fit with the way the fire was acting at the beginning. It was pretty aggressive. Later it was a lot more... casual.

God, I wanted to punch the dude with the camera/phone.

e: Oh, gently caress, I just caught a comment from Dad: "I should have never washed the engine." He caused the flooding/rich issue. I gather from the logo on the back of his jacket he buys and sells cars. Wonder what he lost on this one.

e2: Der. video guy put it in the description, which I did not read until after watching. Yeah, revving the piss out of it will never dry out the electrics. Unless you catch it on fire. THEN it'll dry out, until the FD gets it all wet again.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 9, 2015