Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

KingSlime posted:

A STEM degree is useless if it makes you an insufferable twat who spends way too much energy bitching about the "arts", because this means you're probably a virgin and will die alone :shrug:.

The cool STEM people are people like my clients, who pay me a lot of money to write stuff for them, using all the nifty skills I learned getting my English Lit degree. However, being born in the US is pretty Bad With Money these days and poo poo is rough all over, degrees aside.

Hey guys I found the English Major

Edit: Whoa, slow down with the PMs of job offers, KingSlime is the one you should be sending them to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
How did you find out, by reading the post?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
I mean lol this isnt even up for debate, getting an arts degree or english degree over a STEM degree is bad with money, but lo and behold dipshits will inevitably butt in with "BUT I HAVE A JOB" as if they don't understand statistics, which I suppose they wouldn't :smug:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Zo posted:

I mean lol this isnt even up for debate, getting an arts degree or english degree over a STEM degree is bad with money, but lo and behold dipshits will inevitably butt in with "BUT I HAVE A JOB" as if they don't understand statistics, which I suppose they wouldn't :smug:

Getting a non STEM degree is not as good with money as getting a STEM degree, but it's still usually better with money than not getting a degree at all. Plus, some people a) care about things other than maximizing their work income or b) just aren't suited to pursuing work in STEM fields.

STEM and non-STEM dual BA checking in so I guess that's why I see both sides of this loving retarded slap fight.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I understand this is specifically a money thread, but there are probably a litany of non-monetary reasons that people choose to pursue an art degree after an engineering degree and most of the people pursuing that course probably didn't chose it for the possibility of monetary reward.

Getting an advanced degree because you just want to learn something cool or it's a hobby is about as BWM as you can get. I thought briefly about doing something similar myself before I snapped out of it and just decided to check out the occasional art history book from the library.

It makes more sense if you're in one of those commie countries where education is "free" and all that, but here in God's Country, that poo poo is hella dumb.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

STEM and non-STEM dual BA checking in so I guess that's why I see both sides of this loving retarded slap fight.

Exactly my point! I get that a lot of STEM majors are the forever nerdz (lol says a guy with KingSlime as his username) but sometimes it's okay to take the chip off your shoulder for just a bit. There's a lot of value in having a population with a varied skill set and as long as no one is asking you to help pay their rent, maybe we can go back to truck/horse equity.

Though there are studies (with stats and all) that correlates Arts degrees to more sexual partners during college, especially when compared to engineering so suck on that

E: I do like Barry's point. Like any business, college will drain you financially if you buy into the marketing and don't invest intelligently and without some research.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Great talk, everyone

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
thank you pig slut lisa

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Bad With Money: Getting an art degree is basically paying for sex

CombatInformatiker
Apr 11, 2012

KingSlime posted:

A STEM degree is useless if it makes you an insufferable twat who spends way too much energy bitching about the "arts", because this means you're probably a virgin and will die alone :shrug:.

KingSlime posted:

Though there are studies (with stats and all) that correlates Arts degrees to more sexual partners during college, especially when compared to engineering so suck on that

"You guys, I totally must be having more sex than you! No way an engineer would ever get laid :smuggo:"

We should all study the liberal arts and build up that sexquity.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
There is no merit to any education except for one that is STEM focused.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Beep boop beep getting non-STEM degree is illogical, calculating maximum cost/reward for all degrees, beep boop beep computer science is clearly superior. Beep boop those with arts degrees are therefore stupid. Beep boop.

Post more reddit BWM stories.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Aren't a bunch of STEM jobs (and well nearly every job ever) basically going to be automated before long?

We'll see who's laughing then, when we're all sitting at the unemployment line with our fancy degrees. The only difference is I'm going to be loving my way in and out of that office, while you sad losers will just be waiting in line playing with your calculators and ensuring that your pencils are safely stowed away in their protective shirt sleeve :cool:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Barry posted:

Getting an advanced degree because you just want to learn something cool or it's a hobby is about as BWM as you can get. I thought briefly about doing something similar myself before I snapped out of it and just decided to check out the occasional art history book from the library.

It makes more sense if you're in one of those commie countries where education is "free" and all that, but here in God's Country, that poo poo is hella dumb.

Oh yeah, getting an advanced degree for funsies is super bwm but I think most of those engineering folks who got MFAs then went to go do art and what not, hence the lower salary. BWM, good with life maybe.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I'm bad with money. I didn't ask my new roommates about their utility bills before moving in, turns out they're locked into a $120/mo cable contract. :negative:

I also need to talk to them about not keeping the thermostat at 71, I'm sure that'll be a fun conversation.

CombatInformatiker
Apr 11, 2012

KingSlime posted:

Aren't a bunch of STEM jobs (and well nearly every job ever) basically going to be automated before long?

We'll see who's laughing then, when we're all sitting at the unemployment line with our fancy degrees. The only difference is I'm going to be loving my way in and out of that office, while you sad losers will just be waiting in line playing with your calculators and ensuring that your pencils are safely stowed away in their protective shirt sleeve :cool:

Holy poo poo, at first I thought you were just being obtuse, but now I know that you're an idiot :) Please, tell us all about how you'll gently caress yourself to riches once the robots take over (within the next 40 years, even) :allears:

Now, some content for a change:
My wife's father is well over 60 and still hasn't paid off his house yet. He works as a freelance garden architect/designer/builder (nothing fancy, just common middle-class front- and backyards), and I can't imagine that he earns much, or that he'll be able to continue doing this hard, physical work for much longer. Apparently, he's always been bad with money and thinks it's normal to have debt. His parents were quite rich, and the largeish amount of money he got from them (in various forms) is all gone.
Right now he's building a Japanese sauna in his backyard, which must cost thousands of Euros in material. It's not even finished, and he's already started his next project (some kind of hut or summer house, I don't know).

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
My apt complex forces me to pay for a cable bill as part of the rent. I'm giving $60 a month to a company that I honestly and legitimately hate, for a service that I don't use. Cable is basically advertisements you pay for that are delivered straight to your living room.

I was hoping this was not okay or illegal, but I think I'm out of luck as I'm in Texas. So living in Texas can be pretty bad with money, among other things.

E: oh get over yourself mate, I'm just riling up the robots in this thread as the discussion dealing with the person trying the GoFundMe quickly (but not unexpectedly) became a science vs arts pissmatch. This is often a debate that students (children with minimal experience) engage in, not adults in the real world.

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 9, 2015

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Zo posted:

If your model for lifetime earnings just has "STEM degree Y/N?" and a random factor, you probably got your stats education at DeVry.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Space Gopher posted:

If your model for lifetime earnings just has "STEM degree Y/N?" and a random factor, you probably got your stats education at DeVry.

That's probably a pretty good first order model - STEM is a little broad and I could certainly make it better. Does medicine count as STEM?

Every college should publish it's starting salaries by degree, it's ridiculous that they do anything else.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

The average salary for STEM degrees seems to be about $65k vs $50k for non-STEM degrees. So whether it's worth a 30% raise to do STEM seems like a pretty subjective life choice - some people might find it worth it, and some people might hate the idea so much that it's not.

On an actual BWM note, I was at a labor day party at someone's house here in Vegas. The guy seemed pretty cool and his house was like 7000 square feet, and after a couple hours I remembered how our weird electric rates work here in town. Basically you have a choice between 3 different billing methods, a flat rate and two time of use rates where it's way more expensive during the summer daytime hours and cheaper all other times.

I recently downloaded my use history and looked at each rate and figured it would save me at least $600 a year to go with the extreme summer hours option, even though I had made no effort to curb those hours in particular. So I figured I could probably actually save about $1000 a year with some minimal effort. My house is half as big so I told him he could probably save a couple grand a year if he called and switched the billing method, and it was the exact same provider/service with no reason not to.

He went all crazy about how he is a doctor and he can afford nice things and he buys things that make him happy, and his practice is doing so well and everything is so great for him and he can afford to pay for the electricity and he has 7 refrigerators so he doesn't have to go downstairs at night when he wants champagne, and he pays for his parents to live in their house and he drives a nice car and hooooooooooly poo poo.

So yeah, rage reaction to me suggesting a way he can save at least $1500 a year with the effort of like 1 phone call. WTF.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

KingSlime posted:

So living in Texas can be pretty bad with money, among other things.

$60 a month is (hopefully) less then the state income tax you'd otherwise be paying

WobblySausage
Nov 7, 2014
STEM? I only used the tip.

:laffo: at you guys saying STEM degree is the only choice that should be made. Holy poo poo goon out more.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
This is honestly the worst thread in BFC

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

WobblySausage posted:

:laffo: at you guys saying STEM degree is the only choice that should be made. Holy poo poo goon out more.

Getting an expensive degree without considering one's salary afterward is pretty bad with money. STEM is shorthand because it encompasses a lot of, but not all of, the currently high-paying degrees. Really what's important is thoughtfully considering the consequences of your choices and a lot of people don't do that in the slightest.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Really what's important is thoughtfully considering the consequences of your choices and a lot of people don't do that in the slightest.

This pretty much summarizes and resolves the entire issue, just without the dick waving. Of course, the dick waving is the fun part.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It varies from the awful posting that is happening right now to goldmine when posting about people buying horses and other bad decisions.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

WobblySausage posted:

Nobody is saying that.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's a contender, especially after Blue Story got the boot.

I've been scouring reddit for actual BWM stories to end this crap but I can't find anything. Maybe someone can dig up that DoD site where people got rejected for security clearance because of terrible financial health?

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Droo posted:

The average salary for STEM degrees seems to be about $65k vs $50k for non-STEM degrees. So whether it's worth a 30% raise to do STEM seems like a pretty subjective life choice - some people might find it worth it, and some people might hate the idea so much that it's not.

On an actual BWM note, I was at a labor day party at someone's house here in Vegas. The guy seemed pretty cool and his house was like 7000 square feet, and after a couple hours I remembered how our weird electric rates work here in town. Basically you have a choice between 3 different billing methods, a flat rate and two time of use rates where it's way more expensive during the summer daytime hours and cheaper all other times.

I recently downloaded my use history and looked at each rate and figured it would save me at least $600 a year to go with the extreme summer hours option, even though I had made no effort to curb those hours in particular. So I figured I could probably actually save about $1000 a year with some minimal effort. My house is half as big so I told him he could probably save a couple grand a year if he called and switched the billing method, and it was the exact same provider/service with no reason not to.

He went all crazy about how he is a doctor and he can afford nice things and he buys things that make him happy, and his practice is doing so well and everything is so great for him and he can afford to pay for the electricity and he has 7 refrigerators so he doesn't have to go downstairs at night when he wants champagne, and he pays for his parents to live in their house and he drives a nice car and hooooooooooly poo poo.

So yeah, rage reaction to me suggesting a way he can save at least $1500 a year with the effort of like 1 phone call. WTF.

How dare you suggest he is a poor by saying he could save money easily. Only poors have to worry about that, and everyone knows poors are bad and evil.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Barry posted:

I've been scouring reddit for actual BWM stories to end this crap but I can't find anything.

PersonalFinanceCanada to the rescue!

https://www.reddit.com/r/PersonalFinanceCanada/comments/3k6mdu/seeking_help_for_bad_finance/

Some ESL Redditor posted:

Hi everyone, new to this subreddit, like the title say i'm in a bad finance moment, tying to get up poo poo together, i'm a first year mechanic of 25 years old and i want to make an end to my financial issues... I want to move out from my parent basement and buy a house ( dont want to pay a rent and lose my money to someone else and get nothing back) I do 465 a week, a 8k cc debt, +/- 1500 monthly depense (car insurance, tools, dui tickets and following expense, rent for room, living things and cc)... i dont see how I could do better... i tried to find another job but I'll pay most of it in tax... any hint ?

P.S. sorry for my bad english, french canadian here ...

Budget line item specifically for paying off drunk driving fines.

PLUS! Not only does he not have a STEM education, he doesn't have a degree at all!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

cowofwar posted:

Beep boop beep getting non-STEM degree is illogical, calculating maximum cost/reward for all degrees, beep boop beep computer science is clearly superior. Beep boop those with arts degrees are therefore stupid. Beep boop.

Post more reddit BWM stories.

They aren't stupid, just bad with money. Which is literally the topic of this thread.

Hope this helps.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

enraged_camel posted:

They aren't stupid, just bad with money. Which is literally the topic of this thread.

Hope this helps.
:goonsay:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Glad you agree.

WobblySausage
Nov 7, 2014

enraged_camel posted:

Hope this helps.

Man he should have went for that juicy CS degree.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

WobblySausage posted:

Yet another proof that goons don't understand statistics.

gently caress, we don't even need reddit at this point, you guys are providing great BWM entertainment as it is.

WobblySausage
Nov 7, 2014

enraged_camel posted:

gently caress, we don't even need reddit at this point, you guys are providing great BWM content as it is.

enraged_camel posted:

Hope this helps.

And apparently your grasp on making coherent arguments in the English language is lacking. Perhaps you should take some college courses for that. There's probably something in there on speaking in absolutes.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

WobblySausage posted:

And apparently your grasp on making coherent arguments in the English language is lacking. Perhaps you should take some college courses for that. There's probably something in there on speaking in absolutes.

:allears:

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

enraged_camel posted:

gently caress, we don't even need reddit at this point, you guys are providing great BWM entertainment as it is.

Despite that, liberal arts and business degrees are well represented in high-level C-suites.

Why, it's almost enough to suspect there might be other factors! If only we didn't have those dastardly statistics, proving beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is Better With Money to skate through a "computer science" vocational degree at ITT than it is to network your rear end off at Harvard earning an English BA. After all, simplified statistics are destiny.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

WobblySausage posted:

this is an equally-good argument for playing the lottery, trading on margin, and starting a religious cult - even if you're right, "owen wilson did it" is not why

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 9, 2015

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Antifreeze Head posted:

PersonalFinanceCanada to the rescue!

https://www.reddit.com/r/PersonalFinanceCanada/comments/3k6mdu/seeking_help_for_bad_finance/

Budget line item specifically for paying off drunk driving fines.

PLUS! Not only does he not have a STEM education, he doesn't have a degree at all!

This is a really good and funny example of someone being bad with money, but please find a more appropriate home for it than the Shrieking At Each Other About College Megathread

VVV lol

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I have a STEM degree in Video Game Journalism with a minor in Ethics.

• Locked thread