Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Aurora is very consistent through a variety of episodes. All the shifts in plot feel very natural and as entertaining as the last. Ship is a fun narrator when not beating me over the head with insights into human communication. That joke works once.
Was it ever explained why Freya was so tall?

Annihilation is an experiment in how far you can go with a terrible narrator. Ship has more personality than the biologist. The Lovecraft meets Lost vibe is wonderful and I hope the sequels don't get bogged down with the future when the history Area X is much more exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Annihilation is an experiment in how far you can go with a terrible narrator. Ship has more personality than the biologist. The Lovecraft meets Lost vibe is wonderful and I hope the sequels don't get bogged down with the future when the history Area X is much more exciting.

I suspect that you may not care much for Authority then (I wasn't crazy about it because it focuses heavily on the present day at the Southern Reach) but it gives a lot of solid background info and sets up the third book. I haven't gotten very far in Acceptance but it has some scenes in it from prior to Area X "happening" so I'd say stick it out to the third book and you'll probably be happy.

On an unrelated note, I'm sure this is obvious to everyone else who's spent more than a few months on the forum, but I only now realized that spoilers will be readable when you quote a post. Just never encountered that for something where I didn't read the spoilers before responding. I learned something today! And possibly spoiled something from a book I may or may not read someday.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Aurora is very consistent through a variety of episodes. All the shifts in plot feel very natural and as entertaining as the last. Ship is a fun narrator when not beating me over the head with insights into human communication. That joke works once.
Was it ever explained why Freya was so tall?

She overheard her mom and dad talking about how dumb she was and the general decline in evolutionary fitness or whatever you want to call it of the entire ship population, I just assumed her freakish height was just another part of that.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Just don't ever expect it to explain everything. The other books, at least, have different narrators.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Hedrigall posted:

I love ship, and I'm enjoying this book much more now.

Without spoiling anything, I can tell you that it gets even more badass than that.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So I was in the bookstore the other day and decided to see if I could find a copy of The Martian to read the first chapter or so and see if it's something I might enjoy. And I did, and it is, but it took me an unreasonably long time to find it, because it was filed under Literature instead of Science Fiction.

Does this irritate anyone else? Stuff like The Martian, The Hunger Games, or Harry Potter is lowly genre fiction, relegated to the back of the bookstore and not even worth being spat upon by serious literary critics -- until it becomes hugely popular and made into a major motion picture, at which point it magically becomes "Literature" (or rather, was Literature all along).

It makes "there's nothing good in genre fiction" a self-fulfilling prophecy, because as soon as something is widely recognized as good, it's not genre fiction and never was, honest.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ToxicFrog posted:

So I was in the bookstore the other day and decided to see if I could find a copy of The Martian to read the first chapter or so and see if it's something I might enjoy. And I did, and it is, but it took me an unreasonably long time to find it, because it was filed under Literature instead of Science Fiction.

Does this irritate anyone else? Stuff like The Martian, The Hunger Games, or Harry Potter is lowly genre fiction, relegated to the back of the bookstore and not even worth being spat upon by serious literary critics -- until it becomes hugely popular and made into a major motion picture, at which point it magically becomes "Literature" (or rather, was Literature all along).

It makes "there's nothing good in genre fiction" a self-fulfilling prophecy, because as soon as something is widely recognized as good, it's not genre fiction and never was, honest.

Where are you shopping that stock Harry Potter in literature instead of childrens?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

boom boom boom posted:

Where are you shopping that stock Harry Potter in literature instead of childrens?

To be honest I have no idea where they file Harry Potter, but The Martian and The Hunger Games were both definitely filed in SF when they first came out and in Literature after they became high-profile movie enterprises, and that was the first fantasy series I thought of that also fits this profile.

On reflection, The Lord of the Rings might be a better choice, but I'm pretty sure bookstores have been filing that under Literature rather than Fantasy since before I've been reading, so I didn't get to see the transition first-hand.

(It's Chapters, or Indigo or whatever it's called now.)

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 9, 2015

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

boom boom boom posted:

I wouldn't call books 6 and 7 children's books tbh, there's some pretty dark and hosed up poo poo in those.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

Corporate marketing departments and people who spend a lot of time formulating strong negative opinions on genre fiction are two groups that aren't really worth caring much about on a personal level.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

Does this irritate anyone else?

The move is solely so people who don't read sci-fi but want to read the latest hot thing can find it near the front of the store easily. It really is just marketing.

Not to say that isn't important, of course, and that you can't be mad for SF/F being stuffed in the back of most chain bookstores, but, it's not a matter of good, it's a matter of popularity, and that's true for almost all media industries.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Doesn't bother me half as much as the SF library shelf getting usurped by a million Teenage Vampire Romance Novels.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

ToxicFrog posted:

Last I checked, my local Barnes & Noble is pretty good about putting books where they belong. Lord of the Rings and all that are actually in the SFF section, though the Gormenghast trilogy is also there and I'm not sure if they qualify as fantasy (though they are definitely also Literature).

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ToxicFrog posted:

poo poo flows downhill, a lot of sf fans get all testy about getting 'urban fantasy' and 'young adult specfic' in their shelfspace.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

fritz posted:

poo poo flows downhill, a lot of sf fans get all testy about getting 'urban fantasy' and 'young adult specfic' in their shelfspace.

Science Fiction and Fantasy being put together in bookstores is an affront to God and is the sole reason they are having tough times.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ToxicFrog posted:

To be honest I have no idea where they file Harry Potter, but The Martian and The Hunger Games were both definitely filed in SF when they first came out and in Literature after they became high-profile movie enterprises, and that was the first fantasy series I thought of that also fits this profile.

I dunno, I've only ever seen Hunger Games in the YA section.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

fritz posted:

I guess Twilight is technically urban fantasy now that you mention it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

That makes it sound more like the spot on the shelf that they put popular books on.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Any anger over that sort of stuff always comes across as real dumb to because it always comes off as genre folks having one heck of a persecution complex.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

DeusExMachinima posted:

I wouldn't call Forks 'urban'.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

less laughter posted:

I wouldn't call books 6 and 7 children's books tbh, there's some pretty dark and hosed up poo poo in those.

Like camping. Oh god, the camping.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

DeusExMachinima posted:

"Paranormal Romance", because even urban-fantasy fans need something to look down on.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Supernatural romances can't be in the Grumpy Goon Rides A Zombie Dinosaur genre, they're too pandering.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Peel posted:

Supernatural romances can't be in the Grumpy Goon Rides A Zombie Dinosaur genre, they're too pandering.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Peel posted:

Not Supernatural Romance, Paranormal Romance. It's a real thing, sadly, and the entire subgenre can be summarised as "Intercourse With The Vampire".

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Hey.

Sometimes it's a werewolf, or a dragon, or a weredragon.

Most of the time it's a fat lady having sex with em though, at least from what I see on amazon. Well, a fat lady or a gay dude.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I write supernatural bear/dragon shapeshifter has sex with fat woman novels, and trust me, vampires are OUT

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

angel opportunity posted:

I write supernatural bear/dragon shapeshifter has sex with fat woman novels, and trust me, vampires are OUT

They overfilled the market. Stretched it past its limits, finally leaving the customers satiated, jaded, and looking for some strange new fiction.

The Slithery D fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 10, 2015

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Jedit posted:

Not Supernatural Romance, Paranormal Romance. It's a real thing, sadly, and the entire subgenre can be summarised as "Intercourse With The Vampire".
i have trouble looking down on paranormal romance since my own urban fantasy tastes could easily be labelled 'paranormal violence'

what will harry dresden beat up this year??? how badly will peter grant get hosed up?

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 10, 2015

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Sometimes it's a werewolf, and a dragon, and a weredragon.
Then Hamilton finishes the prologue.

Some paranormal romance is cool. Some urban fantasy is cool. Some steampunk is cool, if you look hard enough. Genres are marketing. Literature is marketing, at least as a bookstore shelf categorisation.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

The Slithery D posted:

They overfilled the market. Stretched it past its limits, finally leaving the customers satiated, jaded, and looking for some strange new fiction.

Billionaires.

The new Humble Bundle is Neil Gaiman focused and there are some interesting curiosities in it. I didn't know Ghastly Beyond Belief was rare, but it's hilarious, and there's even the Duran Duran book...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chrisoya posted:

Then Hamilton finishes the prologue.

Which Hamilton? This seems eerily appropriate to both.

I guess Peter would make absolutely sure the weredragon was fifteen years old, though.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Laurell K. If she'd written Fallen Dragon the protagonist would have hosed every one of those biotech powered armour suits.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I finished up Aftermath last night, and it was fairly decent. Wasn't as strong an opener to an EU as Heir was, but still, it's an entertaining read. I'd give it 3 stars easy.

Downside to it is holy gently caress there are a lot of points of view in the novel and they can all be on different planets, and that kinda fucks with you when you are trying to keep the narrative straight.

:siren: SPECULATIONS AHOY!! :siren:
I did enjoy the possibility that Boba Fett might just be dead, cause the Jawas had some old, acid pitted mandalorian armor, or he might just be the new sheriff dude.

So many gay characters though, so many. A couple space lesbians raising a kid, a space lesbian who lost her wife, and a gay dude. ALL ON ONE PLANET. Holy gently caress it's like a gaypocalypse cause I know there are way less than 4 gay people on earth. WHAT SOCIAL AGENDA MUST THE AUTHOR BE PUSHING?!!!??!?!?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 10, 2015

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Hey.

Sometimes it's a werewolf, or a dragon, or a weredragon.

Most of the time it's a fat lady having sex with em though, at least from what I see on amazon. Well, a fat lady or a gay dude.
Sometimes it's a lich, and the book is surprisingly good.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What book cause I'm not gonna lie, that sounds like an amazing read.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like something Max Gladstone would write, although I don't remember a sex scene in any of that. They're good books, though.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Peel posted:

lol

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

Sounds like something Max Gladstone would write, although I don't remember a sex scene in any of that. They're good books, though.

I think you can end up as a lich in his Choice of the Deathless, but I believe you only get to kiss your romantic interest if you do, since the game ends next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

DigitalRaven posted:

"Paranormal Romance", because even urban-fantasy fans need something to look down on.

Oh lol that does sound like something invented for the sake of trashing.