Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I'd post more Connie but she's been kinda contrary the last couple times and resistant to new photos.

Hopefully I'll make the haircut I need happen friday and then when I see her saturday she'll be more amenable. I know dogs and peafowl been upset by my hair in its longer state, wouldn't surprise me if it scared parrots too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

'Oh hey sally you're back again already? I swear I just cut your hair last week'

'I know! But I had to come back for a new haircut since this one scares my pets.'

#parrotownerproblems

(I know you don't own connie, but still)

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

blackflare posted:

The cockatoo reminds me of a happy dog and then the grey is like a serial killer.
Seriously, for the first two seconds I was all "???? what's the issue here it's a cockatoo being cute" and then BOOM there's a parrot Jack the Ripper.

Obviously exhausted after a long night of carefully-planned murder.

(Seriously though I do love greys :3: The two I've interacted with at any closeness were fascinating, if also still rear end in a top hat parrots. So post more pictures)

Agent355 posted:

'Oh hey sally you're back again already? I swear I just cut your hair last week'

'I know! But I had to come back for a new haircut since this one scares my pets.'

#parrotownerproblems

(I know you don't own connie, but still)
I'd had my hair at butt-length for the first few years I had Judah, then I shaved it all off one day and Judah was just :gonk: for a good week at me.

Tendai fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 9, 2015

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
A hardware store that used to be open near me, the owner had an african grey parrot that would roam the store.

It would follow you around the store keeping an eye on you. Walk down one aisle, turn around and at the very end is a little parrot head poking out from behind some stock, just watching...

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Is it a bad idea to let Bobby keep making a nest in terms of hormones and him being a good pet etc? He's ~9 months old, and I'm not planning on breeding him ever. I thought they only did it when they had a girlfriend but he definitely doesn't unless he considers a male human a female Quaker.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GoldStandardConure posted:

A hardware store that used to be open near me, the owner had an african grey parrot that would roam the store.

It would follow you around the store keeping an eye on you. Walk down one aisle, turn around and at the very end is a little parrot head poking out from behind some stock, just watching...

That bird was far from "just" watching. It was in a store loaded with implements of murder. That bird was plotting.

From the Toco owner on Reddit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5bgaWN8Osg

Knowing how much water Mindo splashes around, that TV must have gotten soaked.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Is it a bad idea to let Bobby keep making a nest in terms of hormones and him being a good pet etc? He's ~9 months old, and I'm not planning on breeding him ever. I thought they only did it when they had a girlfriend but he definitely doesn't unless he considers a male human a female Quaker.

In my experience with parrots, it is very possible that he thinks you are a strange, giant, featherless, and very sexually magnetic lady parrot.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

H110Hawk posted:

That bird was far from "just" watching. It was in a store loaded with implements of murder. That bird was plotting.

Whenever toucans try to pick things up with their beak or wipe their beaks clean, I am convinced that they have just strapped a comically oversized beak to their face for the fun of it/to convince the duckpeople in Glorantha that they are ducks too and have no idea what they're doing.

Wrecking Ball
Jul 16, 2011
It sounds like a huge fake plastic beak when they smash it against stuff.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Are you 100% sure he is male? Allowing females to nest build can lead to egg laying, which is both exhausting and dangerous for the bird.

AFAIK if you're sure he's male it could make him more cage-aggressive, but it's not bad for his health.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Grraarrgghh posted:

Are you 100% sure he is male? Allowing females to nest build can lead to egg laying, which is both exhausting and dangerous for the bird.

AFAIK if you're sure he's male it could make him more cage-aggressive, but it's not bad for his health.

Yeah the breeder did a dna test. Unless the samples got mixed up, he should be a boy. I had the card somewhere but I lost it but it definitely had the right ankle ring number.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 9, 2015

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Then as related video I see this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndm40IMOH1A

Pet raven!

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Whats with the string?

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

Why does this make me want a Grey? Not that I'd get one (because various reasons), but goddamn do I love smart animals. And that one just has the best look. :allears:

I've wanted a pet raven (two, actually, Thought and Memory) ever since I was a kid and read "The Wyrd Museum" trilogy. And that one is so cute! It's all like, "Oh, so I can't pick at the fridge? What if I pick at this other thing? No? Okay, I guess I can pick at the fridge again."

We can't even have them as rescues in this state, though, because they're not native. :( Guess I'll have to content myself with rescue vultures if we ever get the money/property.

Whats with the string?

Jesses (the tether-thingies used in falconry)? Maybe? I don't know why it's on the bird while it's indoors and not actually tethered to anything. Looks like a potential future injury if that gets caught on anything, but I know zero about owning a raven, so...

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou4hDuQtGRA

:colbert:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

camera broke, but you're on

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Dreggon posted:

camera broke, but you're on

Oh no! What's going to happen to our important cockatoo updates? Or is the camera breaking cockatoo related?

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Shirec posted:

Oh no! What's going to happen to our important cockatoo updates? Or is the camera breaking cockatoo related?

I am thinking Gaston, Destroyer of Things and Stuffs is probably behind the broken camera.....

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Disco Salmon posted:

I am thinking Gaston, Destroyer of Things and Stuffs is probably behind the broken camera.....
Maybe Erasmus wants to be the first cockatoo photographer

EDIT somehow I just now noticed the kookaburra video LOOK AT HIM HE'S WEARING A LITTLE HAT aaagh

I wonder if I can get one of the mountain bluebirds around here to trust me enough to wear a hat, they're here year round and I inexplicably have a few tiny hats.

Gonna do this.

Tendai fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 9, 2015

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Have you tried making Judah wear a tiny hat?

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
birbs + tiny hats = :3:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Just got a call back from Pookie's vet about her blood tests and she's all good!

Also she was asking about her general condition and behaviour so I was telling her all about the Pookie curries with rice and potatoes and she was very pleased, which was nice. I also told her about the very very bitey behaviour in the week after getting the implant and apparently that is a thing that can happen; the implant can cause a conflicting hormone surge for about a week that basically gives the bird the equivalent of extra-strong PMT. It does seem to have worn off and little Pooks is mostly back to her normal mellow self. Her feathers are a good bit better I think, though it's hard to tell since I see them all the time, a slow improvement is hard to see.

GTG we're having mashed potatoes with peas for dinner and Pookie is hungry :3:

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
If I die and come back as a birb I want to live at Pookah's house!!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Watching my Grey eat mashed potatoes is one of my favorite things.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Disco Salmon posted:

If I die and come back as a birb I want to live at Pookah's house!!

:blush:

Pookie's back to being a brat; she just pooped on the kitchen floor then threw the roll of toilet paper we keep handy for wiping up parrot poops right down on top of it. Maybe she was trying to be helpful but I have my doubts.

Earlier she stood on top of her cage rattling her foraging toy from the outside and roaring her version of my name (that she's used since she was a little babby) because I had forgotten to refill it with rice cakes.

"WAAAAAYWAHHH!*rattle*rattle*rattle*WAAAAAYWAAAAH!"

Edit: Behold the Mighty Pea Potato Beard

Pookah fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 9, 2015

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Pookah posted:

:blush:

Pookie's back to being a brat; she just pooped on the kitchen floor then threw the roll of toilet paper we keep handy for wiping up parrot poops right down on top of it. Maybe she was trying to be helpful but I have my doubts.

Earlier she stood on top of her cage rattling her foraging toy from the outside and roaring her version of my name (that she's used since she was a little babby) because I had forgotten to refill it with rice cakes.

"WAAAAAYWAHHH!*rattle*rattle*rattle*WAAAAAYWAAAAH!"

That sounds really adorable for some reason, birds are so cute and evil all at the same time. Birdy talk is the best :3:

Kiwi has been making good progress in regards to screaming/aggression. Besides the normal bird excitement and morning noises, she's been pretty quiet. She's just so afraid of getting picked up for some reason. Once I sneezed, she flew out of her because I am a loud sneezer and I picked her up and gave her a good long scritching, which she enjoyed but she was very anxious being away from her cage. She's fine taking very tiny treats right from my hands, and even when she bites, it's not hard at all. I know it's a patience game at this point, it's just sad to see her just sitting in her cage all the time.

I'm going to be out of town from today until Sunday so I'm already getting anxious re:birds.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just realized today that I only talk to Judah as like, a peer, when I'm bitching about the cat. "Ugh. She is the worst cat. You're the best pet in here, you know? Yeah, of course you know. You don't drop shits like she does or bring live things in. She's an rear end in a top hat." Just about every other time is "Judah-boo" and the like.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
I found a good candidate for the breeder I'm getting a conure from! The actual "getting a conure" part is a month or two away right now, but at least that's sorted. :D

He lives in another state, though, so the bird will be shipped to us. EUR 40, ouch.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Now I need to find a tiny hat to fit a chickadee

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

anotherblownsave posted:

Now I need to find a tiny hat to fit a chickadee
Ask this dude, he seems to have his tiny hat game on point

http://www.booksofadam.com/2013/09/tiny-hats-on-cats.html

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Disco Salmon posted:

Mookie was faster than I was once, and got ahold of my phone. Fucker punched a hole straight through it.

I guess what I'm saying is please film every attempt at putting a tiny bowler on him.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
For all we know Gaston is only angry because he's NOT wearing a hat

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Suntan Boy posted:

Mookie was faster than I was once, and got ahold of my phone. Fucker punched a hole straight through it.

I guess what I'm saying is please film every attempt at putting a tiny bowler on him.

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

For all we know Gaston is only angry because he's NOT wearing a hat

omg I have a visual image of Gaston wearing a little bowler hat and wearing a monacle, AND holding a walking cane in one foot....I cannot stop giggling

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Disco Salmon posted:

omg I have a visual image of Gaston wearing a little bowler hat and wearing a monacle, AND holding a walking cane in one foot....I cannot stop giggling

*raps cane on Dreggons back door*
"PEASANT, WHERE IS MY SEED?!"

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GoldStandardConure posted:

*raps cane on Dreggons back door*
"PEASANT, WHERE IS MY SEED?!"
Like a cockatoo would be that polite about it

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

they flap up to the window and peck on the glass repeatedly until i go out to feed them

any window with a ledge is a viable choice

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Dreggon posted:

they flap up to the window and peck on the glass repeatedly until i go out to feed them

any window with a ledge is a viable choice

Birds are the most entitled creatures in the animal kingdom.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Yes they are. I can give them a bit of whatever I'm having for dinner and the fuckers still scream for what I have on my plate.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

I saw birds today while visiting petco for supplies. Their conures seemed kind of sad but I love seeing the flock of zebra finches fluttering around excitedly. Beeping and honking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

blackflare posted:

I saw birds today while visiting petco for supplies. Their conures seemed kind of sad but I love seeing the flock of zebra finches fluttering around excitedly. Beeping and honking.

:( :( :( I have a special weakness for sad pet store conures thanks to my birdie. The local place spoils the hell out of their conure(s) and it's an incredible contrast.