Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Would love a Rollercoaster Tycoon method where you can build all sorts of airports/train/bus-stations and save them as a prefab to use in your cities. Each component would have a cost and have benefits and design strategies. Longer runways would make it safer, taxi and terminal placements would mean how fast turnaround was, terminals and hangers would mean how many planes can park/wait at your airport, number of runways increases plane throughput. Terminal sizes would mean how many people can wait/be processed in and out of the city.

Basically I have thought too much about this because one day I will make a modern openTTD and implement all of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

xzzy posted:

Though it did waken my inner sperg where I'd bulldoze components of the airport until it randomly developed the way I wanted.

Baronjutter posted:

This. I'd try to bonsai my airports until they looked almost sort of realistic.

I always loved zone high density commercial near the airport and enjoying the resulting plane crashes.

I miss SimCity 2000 disasters.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

xzzy posted:

SimCity 3000 did that too, right?

I loved that feature, no airport looked the same.

Though it did waken my inner sperg where I'd bulldoze components of the airport until it randomly developed the way I wanted.

In SC3000 you could use the building plop cheat to sperg out your airports. It was awesome.

They wouldn't function, but at least they looked good :colbert:

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

xzzy posted:

SimCity 3000 did that too, right?

I loved that feature, no airport looked the same.

There were airport zones in SC3K, as well as seaport zones.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Having just started playing this again after binging out when it launched, I was laying some road in my new town and hit PgDn one too many times.

:stare:

How long have I been able to build tunnels?!

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Arrath posted:

Having just started playing this again after binging out when it launched, I was laying some road in my new town and hit PgDn one too many times.

:stare:

Tunnels were introduced in the first major post-launch patch, iirc.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Tunnels are great, although they do sometimes choose interesting bits of world geometry to spawn in.

That said, they make for the easiest and prettiest trumpet-junctions (a.k.a. the best t-junctions).

e: If this game has taught me anything it's that whenever I've been driving on a freeway and bitterly complained about how poo poo it is that I need to get into the right lane to make a left turn because it's counter-intuitive, I should just shut the gently caress up.

Breetai fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 8, 2015

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Arrath posted:

For months!

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Breetai posted:

Tunnels are great, although they do sometimes choose interesting bits of world geometry to spawn in.

You need to upgrade your incinerator farm with something like this (shameless self pimp)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Tunnels are a great way to connect two industrial areas directly via a super tunnel and pretty much eliminate highway backup. I'll take a road in the very center of the industrial area and turn it in to a tunnel, and have it pop up in the middle of the other industrial area. Super tunnels cut down on highway jams by about 33% I'd guess. Maybe more.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 9, 2015

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

MonoAus posted:

For months!

Well I'm glad I only started playing again last week :downs:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Fishbus posted:

You need to upgrade your incinerator farm with something like this (shameless self pimp)

Well son of a bitch. This is useful.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
Tunnels are awesome. I think someone mentioned it earlier, but underwater tunnels are possible too.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

In one city to connect my main oil extraction area to my seaport I made a highway tunnel that goes under a river, then underneath the mountains between the rivers, and then under another river to my other industrial district. I pity the poor civil engineers who had to make that happen.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I cant get tunnels going very well because some rear end in a top hat laid subway lines everywhere.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

I cant get tunnels going very well because some rear end in a top hat laid subway lines everywhere.

You can just build the subway lines deeper. This is also how you make subway lines cross each other, incidentally - just make one go under the other.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My only thing about tunnels is they're too overpowered! It's so tempting to just have an entire underground highway network!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-_k5sO2jqM

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

MikeJF posted:

My only thing about tunnels is they're too overpowered! It's so tempting to just have an entire underground highway network!

I don't quite remember, do they cost more to maintain as well, or is it just the construction that becomes more expensive?

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

So I've never downloaded any assets from the workshop and only have a few mods running at the moment (auto bulldoze, enable achievements, purchasable area, and expanded public transport ui). I want to make my new city very pretty. At what point does downloading assets slow down the game to a crawl? I've got an older i5 and a gtx 780, but plenty of RAM. I would love to be able to plop down a Willis Sears Tower in the middle of my European-themed map along with his buddy the Hancock Building and maybe the Corncobs or 311 S. Wacker. I would also like some different parks or parks that would fit into some smaller spaces as the default ones are just way too big for my taste (although I do love the tennis court whenever that was added), and a park with trees doesn't really fit into an industrial park, but something else might.

Edit: I noticed the Traffic Manager mod is not being updated just from a quick glance at the workshop due to the creator having an actual life. I had thought about downloading that as well, but since it's not being actively developed, how hard is it to achieve Traffic Nirvana without the use of Traffic Manager for lanes and priority, etc.? Should I just make everything extra big so I can put on/off ramps on the left side of things to force people into the left lanes of highways and moving around the city?

pakman fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 9, 2015

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The base game traffic system is perfectly functional and its quirks are existent but sometimes exaggerated.

Don't try to distribute exits on both sides of a highway. The cims will treat the middle and exit free lane on a highway as through lanes and you want cims with a far exit to be using the exit free lane to avoid weaving. Weaving will choke your highways dead so there is such a thing as too much exit density, but keeping the exit free lane clear and used will provide a little pressure relief when it does happen.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
download my stupid interchange yo

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Having lots of assets mostly slows down the load time more than anything else and this is bound by the CPU speed. Cities Skylines is native 64bit and you have plenty of ram so it's not likely to be an issue. However do watch out for your VRAM limitations of your graphics card. There are lots of building assets out there with unnecessarily large textures, and to a lesser extent, models with pointlessly high polygon counts. A few of them aren't too bad but they really start adding up when you get a few different types appearing.

Also traffic manager has a couple of forks.

Shanakin fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 9, 2015

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Is there any way to actually tell whether or not an asset has unnecessarily large textures/polygon counts? It's not like I'm zooming in to look at my city that closely all the time and I don't really care if I can see the pupils of the cims in the building windows.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

pakman posted:

Is there any way to actually tell whether or not an asset has unnecessarily large textures/polygon counts? It's not like I'm zooming in to look at my city that closely all the time and I don't really care if I can see the pupils of the cims in the building windows.

Not really, but looking at the filesize (visible on the wiki) generally gives you a good idea about if it's well-optimised. Keep it under 5 megs for generic growables, under 10 for big things.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Good modders will also tell you what the poly count/texture size is I guess?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Could you give an example of this in situ in a functioning city? My head is spinning just looking at it.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Fishbus posted:

I loving love this mod btw

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
Also tunnels are OP and I lust for their nerf, and they also aren't rendered so it ruins my immersion when I'm first-personing in a car that ducks into a tunnel :argh:

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Fishbus posted:

DISQUALIFIED

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

Also tunnels are OP and I lust for their nerf, and they also aren't rendered so it ruins my immersion when I'm first-personing in a car that ducks into a tunnel :argh:

Yeah I wish tunnels and bridges cost a crippling amount to build and maintain so you can't just have your village absolutely surrounded by elevated highways and a tangle of tunnels beneath and stay in the black.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Subyng posted:

DISQUALIFIED

BOO, NOT COOL

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

I loving love this mod btw

Would be nice to have more balance adjustment fine tuning. E.g. city level. Or more appropriate (but less likely) a high-tech/research system much like SC2013.

All i can rely on is a very high initial cost, and to offset the economy-of-scale benefits.

e: whups, double post

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah I wish tunnels and bridges cost a crippling amount to build and maintain so you can't just have your village absolutely surrounded by elevated highways and a tangle of tunnels beneath and stay in the black.

I would've made it so that you can't have underground intersections, or limited that in some way.

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.

Breetai posted:

Could you give an example of this in situ in a functioning city? My head is spinning just looking at it.

The High Five in Dallas is pretty similar, except one of the highways is at an angle and goes under the surface streets instead. Plus some extra ramps for the HOV lane:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSaUAC7cbOY

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Breetai posted:

Yeah the High Five for example.

Also these, and here's an almost perfectly symmetrical one.

e: is there a way to update my freaking asset on the workshop like how people's mods are updated? I kinda missed a spot :gonk:

Koesj fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 9, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's actually a paved bike path under the Dallas High Five, which I guess would make it a six layer chip dip?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

and they also aren't rendered so it ruins my immersion when I'm first-personing in a car that ducks into a tunnel :argh:

Which is weird because tunnels were rendered in cities in motion.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Which is weird because tunnels were rendered in cities in motion.

Adding rendered tunnels might slow down someone's e-machine which might upset upwards of a dozen customers in case they build up to the object limit of only tunnels.

\/ Actually rendered tunnels would look a lot better in the underground view and be a lot easier to understand than just gray lines, specially with one-ways. Tunnels can really be a confusing mess so being able to see the walls and an actual road surface texture would have really helped clear things up.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Why would they write code and create assets to render tunnels if the base game has no way to ever actually see those tunnels?

If they break your first person mod, well, that's on the mod for loving things up.