Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

I just started playing this and I have some questions.

There seems to be a filter on or something where anything that's not in the center of my screen is "out of focus", but what that means in practice is that the models look super lovely and low res and it's distracting and dumb. Can I turn that off? Because I hate it.

Turn off "tilt-shift" in the graphics options.

quote:

Speaking of models, do high density residential and office buildings eventually look different when they level up? Because they look super similar right now (and they both look like apartments, the office stuff doesn't look at all like offices).

I'm assuming you're playing on a "European" map. Basically each map can be 1 of 4 "biomes", and a recent update added European buildings that are exclusive to the "European" biome (temperate, tropical, and boreal are the other three). Assuming you just picked the first map on the list when you started a new city, based on your description it sounds like you're playing with the European building set, in which case the answer to your question is, no, high density buildings don't really look any different when they upgrade. But they DO with the default building set (which all the other biomes have).

quote:

Can someone explain to me low density residential vs. high density residential? I'm not sure why high density is better, or what situations it's for, or what -- it attracts young adults, great, but they show up uneducated and it's not like they can go to elementary school. Do they go straight to college? (I have a college they can go to.) It seems like low density is better because they have kids? Or am I completely misunderstanding it?

This game is so easy once you know what's happening that all decisions basically come down to aesthetic choice. Do you want high density? Then zone high density. Obviously high density will generate more traffic, so that is one consideration.

quote:

How do garbage places interact? Do landfills collect everything and then send the trash off to incinterators, or are they competing for trash and they keep what they get? What happens when one gets full, will the other landfills send their trucks out farther to pick up the slack? I had one landfill get full and it caused a garbage wave all over the city and I wasn't at all sure what was going on.

Not 100% sure about this one, but what I do know is that when a landfill is full, when you select it, there is a button to empty the landfill. The garbage trucks will then move the garbage from that landfill to any other available landfills. If you have an incinerator, I believe that emptying a landfill will send the garbage to be incinerated instead. Incinerators also have their own fleet of garbage trucks that will collect garbage independently of landfills and send the garbage straight to the incinerator.

quote:

I like the game quite a lot on short notice, but holy poo poo does it refuse to hold your hand at all. Would a simple "here's how you build poo poo, click on the flashing button and then put the things where we tell you" tutorial have been so hard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

at the date posted:

This is completely realistic, though?

Not really. Many businesses have offices, and many of those businesses also require manufacturing and retail availability. There are few businesses out there that require office space and do not supplement either retail or industrial areas, like accounting and legal services, I suppose. Outside of those (and offices for things like non-profits), pretty much anything office related I can think of is attached to something that is sold in stores, and/or made in factories and need warehouses. So having offices not have any purpose in the supply and demand of anything besides "jobs" is really weird and unrealistic.

Edit: But even then, plenty of accounting and law firms do work with OTHER businesses that DO have retail and industrial requirements. The scope of office based businesses that need neither is very, very small.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 7, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah this is why I liked the Cities XL model where "office services" were just one of the imputs/demands that industry had. It didn't generate any freight traffic obviously, but the demand didn't come from nowhere.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

I think the real complaint isn't that offices don't produce traffic or pollution, but its that offices don't interact with the other jobs in any way whatsoever. Industry involves a chain to create finished goods which are then transported to the commercial zones to be sold. Offices are completely out of the loop. Even something so basic as limiting office demand based on the overall proportion of "real" industry would be better than just letting it feed directly from industrial demand.

Edit: beaten

Nicodemus Dumps fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 7, 2015

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah this is why I liked the Cities XL model where "office services" were just one of the imputs/demands that industry had. It didn't generate any freight traffic obviously, but the demand didn't come from nowhere.

This is the only idea I want from C:XL.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I'm working in a 28 story office building right now and no one in the building is involved in either supplying commercial goods or manufacturing goods.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Since they already have a level system for RCI, fitting offices in should be easy.

Higher level Commercial and Industry should create modest demand for Offices. Likewise, highly educated CiMs with reasonable wealth (higher level Residential) should also create some demand for Offices (think startups).
Higher level Offices should create some demand for Commercial and Industry.
C, I , and O would all create demand for Residential, as they need workers.

Everything feeds into everything else that way, and it prevents the spread of Office plague since zoning Offices has diminishing returns.

Bogan Krkic posted:

I'm working in a 28 story office building right now and no one in the building is involved in either supplying commercial goods or manufacturing goods.

This is the part where you could explain what is in a 28 story office building that involves neither of those things and is also not one of the examples I named already. I guess I can also add government offices to that list as well.

Insurance I guess? There are a lot of insurances that do business with industrial and commercial businesses though.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Sep 7, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Koesj posted:

File -> print, or Ctrl + P rather. Choose whatever print to picture thing (like CutePDF) you've got installed as your printer.

However...

Get Cimtographer. It'll add a new button with options next to the 'policies' checkmark. I haven't tried importing anything from openstreetmap (OSM), but the export city to .osm option is right at the bottom of the dialog window. Do this, and a .osm file of your city will be placed in your ...\Steam\steamapps\common\Cities_Skylines folder.

Use JOSM to open your brand new .osm (for the first time at least). Ta-da! A number of things probably won't show since Cimtographer exports in a pretty funky way, making ramps and one-way streets illegible for example. You could 'print' your map to a file from here, using the JOSM printer plugin and something like CutePDF, but it's probably best to save your .osm with JOSM and put it somewhere where you can find it a bit more easily.

Then get Maperitive a program so cool it won't automatically read .osm files generated by Cimtographer (for me at least), thus necessitating the use of JOSM as an intermediary. Select 'Web map (OSM Mapnik) on the bottom right, and then click the red 'remove the map source etc.' button to get rid of any superfluous stuff Maperetive wants you to use. Then choose 'File' -> 'open map source' and open your .osm that you just saved in JOSM. Whoa, okay, same stuff, nicer program to work with.

Mess around with Maperetive for a bit and you'll find out that it:

A. under tools, outputs a 'bitmap' image (or .png rather) directly into the output folder of the program
B. under map, allows you to set the printing/geometry bounds of your output
C. under map, lets you change 'rendering rules' from default OSM to wireframe, gmaps, hiking, and urbanight (I guess there's more to be found somewhere?)
and finally D. under tools again, since Cimtographer exports stuff like a stupid fucker, you can choose to output to .svg for either Inkscape or Illustrator jfc what is this a useable vector format for my videogame maps?!?

That's the point where you can start channeling your inner graphic designer, and half-finish a map based on what was a half-finished city in the first place.

e: oh and my airport is p. much done as well. Mods are starting to eat my game.

Holy hell, this is great info, will give this a shot tomorrow

Reaaaalllly impressed with the airport, am I seeing that screenshot correctly, the jets are using the taxiways you laid down, to get to the runway?? That's amazing. I loving love this game.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
Haha this thread is now, "How Cities: Skylines Made Me Question the Foundation of the Global Service Economy."

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

ToastyPotato posted:

This is the part where you could explain what is in a 28 story office building that involves neither of those things and is also not one of the examples I named already. I guess I can also add government offices to that list as well.

Insurance I guess? There are a lot of insurances that do business with industrial and commercial businesses though.

IT and banking services.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
All office buildings in the game are 100% telemarketers.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
I work in one of many 5 story office buildings in this area of my city. We've got the Dutch consulate in this building, accountants, data warehousing consultants, property managers... I could keep going.

It's a pretty bizarre statement to say that office space is only needed by retail or industrial companies.

That said, offices in game should be fixed since they're pretty boring and don't seem to fit in the with the game mechanics very well.

What I'd like to see happen is to only have skyscrapers in office zones and none in commercial.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What would be a simple solution is that you'll get a demand penalty for production industry or offices if the ratio between the two goes too far in one's favour, due to the way each supports demand for the other.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Sep 7, 2015

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

captain innocuous posted:

All office buildings in the game are 100% telemarketers.

Time to mod in disasters.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

MikeJF posted:

What would be a simple solution is that you'll get a demand penalty for production industry or offices if the ratio between the two goes too far in one's favour, due to the way each supports demand for the other.

An even easier solution would be to tie office demand to higher education level. Sort of like how hightech used to be in SimCity.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Sorry my highly educated cims are too busy with their logging and farming jobs to staff offices.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MonoAus posted:

An even easier solution would be to tie office demand to higher education level. Sort of like how hightech used to be in SimCity.

Why not both?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

MonoAus posted:

That's sort of how it is already, and why you can never satisfy industrial demand without carpeting with offices once you get some educated cims.

I hope they're already tinkering with economic models for the next expansion because, as mentioned, its very nearly ignorable beside dictating what spread you want since any taxes is good taxes and everyone ends up educated. I never expected to say this after SC4s RCI progression tricks driving me away, but I want more RCI hurdles.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

ToastyPotato posted:

Even then, some government offices require industry. I work for the DoD in acquisition, and while the organization where I work is purely offices, we only exist because we're interacting with industry on behalf of the government to build things for us (in my case, flight simulators - high tech, yes, but there's still a production line in a factory involved).

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Frogfingers posted:

Time to mod in disasters.
I thought that was the disaster.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

Even then, some government offices require industry. I work for the DoD in acquisition, and while the organization where I work is purely offices, we only exist because we're interacting with industry on behalf of the government to build things for us (in my case, flight simulators - high tech, yes, but there's still a production line in a factory involved).
But that industry does not have to be located anywhere near your offices though. Cities aren't autarkies, so an office-heavy city might simply be a largely service-based city, which provides administration and services to more production oriented towns and cities. That kind of dynamic might be a way to balance things though, by making it so that focusing majorly on any type of zoning increasingly puts you in competition against other cities. Basically, if you're making a city that's almost entirely based around offices, then that means you're trying to position yourself as a regional/national/global administrative/financial center. That could require you to meet certain levels of services and/or taxes in order to compete for the regional/national/global demand for offices.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

I think some of you are failing to realize that this is a game, not reality, and games are better when the systems interact with each other instead of being disparate parts. Yes in the real world not all offices are associated with industry, but from a gameplay standpoint it makes no sense to have industry/commecial interact with each other but offices are completely independent from the rest of the employment system. Industry, commercial, and offices should each affect each other in some way.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

popewiles posted:

I think some of you are failing to realize that this is a game, not reality, and games are better when the systems interact with each other instead of being disparate parts. Yes in the real world not all offices are associated with industry, but from a gameplay standpoint it makes no sense to have industry/commecial interact with each other but offices are completely independent from the rest of the employment system. Industry, commercial, and offices should each affect each other in some way.
Obviously direct interaction between the different zoning types makes sense, but interaction with other parts of the game (existing or future) seems just as valid to me. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Bogan Krkic posted:

IT and banking services.

IT and banking for who? Hard to believe that building provides no services for any commercial or industrial business what so ever. Are the banking services a part of an actual bank? Does that bank not have locations people can visit? Because that would end up being commercial in the game as well. If not, I would be shocked if banking services that large were only handing out savings and checking accounts to individuals. I am going to guess they have things like investment services (which need businesses to invest in) and loan services (business loans are kind of a big deal) as well as banking accounts for businesses in general.

MonoAus posted:

That is fine if it is also a part of the other suggestions. Alone, it would basically be exactly how it is right now.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Holy hell, this is great info, will give this a shot tomorrow

Reaaaalllly impressed with the airport, am I seeing that screenshot correctly, the jets are using the taxiways you laid down, to get to the runway?? That's amazing. I loving love this game.

Thanks! And yeah the airport is pretty much fully functional; airport roads mod!

e: I've been playing around a bit with the Maperitive ruleset and command line, and there's definitely ways to get things to look at least slightly better (warning: 5222x5061 703KB .png)

Koesj fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 8, 2015

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
I guess I haven't really investigated it enough then. To me it seemed like Office and Industrial demand are the same, so whatever is used to calculate demand for smokestacks and sawmills could be satisfied with an office instead. Perhaps showing it as a separate demand would be better.

Like I said initially, all office buildings should really be removed from commercial zones and only available in office zones or get rid of the office zone altogether.

I really like that retail commerce and entertainment/service commerce will be separated in After Dark.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

MonoAus posted:

I guess I haven't really investigated it enough then. To me it seemed like Office and Industrial demand are the same, so whatever is used to calculate demand for smokestacks and sawmills could be satisfied with an office instead. Perhaps showing it as a separate demand would be better.

Like I said initially, all office buildings should really be removed from commercial zones and only available in office zones or get rid of the office zone altogether.

I really like that retail commerce and entertainment/service commerce will be separated in After Dark.
You seem to have the right idea about Office and Industrial sharing demand, a positive Yellow demand will allow either to be built. The problem is that doesn't guarentee staffing. For example, cims overqualified for a job will generate Yellow demand. You can then attempt to satisfy the demand with unskilled specialty industrial zones that will build, close due to staffing, then rebuild ad infinitum until more population is added.

It also works the other way. Commercial importing goods will generate Yellow demand. You can then attempt to satisfy the demand with offices. Since education is universal, they'll probably get staffed. Maybe at the expense of what industrial you might have, that already can't supply your commercial stores with local made goods.

RCI is kind of a mess. Putting aside any sort of social commentary on the merits and issues with a service based economy, the big problem is the game isn't even internally consistent. Maybe that's the intent to allow people to choose their own split of industry vs offices, but that also feeds back into the "real" part of the game, traffic management, since industrial (and concentrated commercial) are the challenges in that system, and offices can depopulate your roads.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Something I just found out: you gotta change every instance of Cimtographer saying things have 'levels' into 'layers' in JOSM.

Only then can the process of getting your road bridge heights deconflicted truly begin, because a lot of elevation changes don't get parsed by Cimtographer. Have fun editing in JOSM and then exporting through Maperative!

e: or in gmaps format, whatevs

still some artifacts around!

Koesj fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 8, 2015

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Koesj posted:

Something I just found out: you gotta change every instance of Cimtographer saying things have 'levels' into 'layers' in JOSM.

Only then can the process of getting your road bridge heights deconflicted truly begin, because a lot of elevation changes don't get parsed by Cimtographer. Have fun editing in JOSM and then exporting through Maperative!

e: or in gmaps format, whatevs

still some artifacts around!

I would pay money for this sort of thing to be an officially supported feature (that didn't require work or tweaking or external applications.)

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

I would pay money for this sort of thing to be an officially supported feature (that didn't require work or tweaking or external applications.)

That'd probably have to happen on a dev server as well though, so good luck convincing them on shelling out money themselves, not to mention valuable time.

I put some more of my currently useless time into getting the map just right, but I guess I shouldn't be breaking up babby's first spatial economics conversation with too many pics. So here, have a link instead.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

zedprime posted:

RCI is kind of a mess. Putting aside any sort of social commentary on the merits and issues with a service based economy, the big problem is the game isn't even internally consistent. Maybe that's the intent to allow people to choose their own split of industry vs offices, but that also feeds back into the "real" part of the game, traffic management, since industrial (and concentrated commercial) are the challenges in that system, and offices can depopulate your roads.

I just think that Offices feel half-baked.

Not that I'm complaining at all, Skylines is by far the best city-builder in existence.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Something is not right here...

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Metrication posted:

The new airport in After Dark:

Guy's c'mon, how about the ability to design our own airports

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or how about airports that don't look like podunk regional terminals.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

xzzy posted:

Or how about airports that don't look like podunk regional terminals.

Scale wise probably wouldn't work in the sense that the average player will bitch and moan about how it doesn't fit basically anywhere they want it too. Custom airports would be awesome, but even then you'd still have to have premade airports for most people.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

ToastyPotato posted:

Scale wise probably wouldn't work in the sense that the average player will bitch and moan about how it doesn't fit basically anywhere they want it too. Custom airports would be awesome, but even then you'd still have to have premade airports for most people.

In real world scale DIA takes up roughly the entire game map with 25 tiles unlocked.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Do you guys remember Simcity airports where you upgraded them into 5 wide runways with no way to taxi or anything. :allears:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Decrepus posted:

Do you guys remember Simcity airports where you upgraded them into 5 wide runways with no way to taxi or anything. :allears:

I remember Sim City 2000 airports which were random clusterfucks of buildings and runways. Simpler times.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I remember Sim City 2000 airports which were random clusterfucks of buildings and runways. Simpler times.

SimCity 3000 did that too, right?

I loved that feature, no airport looked the same.

Though it did waken my inner sperg where I'd bulldoze components of the airport until it randomly developed the way I wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

xzzy posted:

Though it did waken my inner sperg where I'd bulldoze components of the airport until it randomly developed the way I wanted.

This. I'd try to bonsai my airports until they looked almost sort of realistic.