Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
What restaurants don't auto-grat on large tables? I've never worked at one that didn't and I've never eaten in one with 6 or more people that didn't. I worked at one restaurant where the tips were so lovely that we changed our policy from auto gratuity with 6 or more, to auto gratuity with 5 or more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Labor Day Weekend has broke me.

I've never been so overwhelmed in my life. I haven't stopped between both jobs in over 5-6 days.

I've done nothing outside of life but work. Money has been good.

But Jesus I lost it tonight. Last table. I missed a side salad on a split check. I just told the guy here's five bucks.

Yay! New POS at the main job tomorrow!

:suicide:

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
dear lj

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Skwirl posted:

What restaurants don't auto-grat on large tables? I've never worked at one that didn't and I've never eaten in one with 6 or more people that didn't. I worked at one restaurant where the tips were so lovely that we changed our policy from auto gratuity with 6 or more, to auto gratuity with 5 or more.

It sounds like the 70 person group came in as "70 people" rather than a cohesive mass on a single tab.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Mine has auto-grat as an option, but doing so is entirely up to the discretion of the the server. 90% of them don't for whatever reason. I don't understand it but I'm just a lowly busser/barback so what do I know. :v: I mean it still hurts me re: tip outs, but not as directly as the servers themselves.

Also god dammit anime convention people who swarmed us for all of Labor Day weekend in addition to the normal Labor Day crowds, you were doing so well until today. 5 dollar tip on a 150 dollar check, gently caress everyone at that table. I bought that poor girl a drink after we were cut for that, what a lousy table that was.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

A Man and his dog posted:

Labor Day Weekend has broke me.

I've never been so overwhelmed in my life. I haven't stopped between both jobs in over 5-6 days.

I've done nothing outside of life but work. Money has been good.

But Jesus I lost it tonight. Last table. I missed a side salad on a split check. I just told the guy here's five bucks.

Yay! New POS at the main job tomorrow!

:suicide:

5-6 days?

Harden the gently caress up. :D

Bussamove posted:

Mine has auto-grat as an option, but doing so is entirely up to the discretion of the the server. 90% of them don't for whatever reason. I don't understand it but I'm just a lowly busser/barback so what do I know. :v: I mean it still hurts me re: tip outs, but not as directly as the servers themselves.

Also god dammit anime convention people who swarmed us for all of Labor Day weekend in addition to the normal Labor Day crowds, you were doing so well until today. 5 dollar tip on a 150 dollar check, gently caress everyone at that table. I bought that poor girl a drink after we were cut for that, what a lousy table that was.

Conventiongoers are terrible like that. Especially anime/gaming cons, because a lot of the people barely budget beyond travel and hotel, so they're dirt broke all the time and don't tip worth a drat.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Liquid Communism posted:

5-6 days?

Harden the gently caress up. :D

Conventiongoers are terrible like that. Especially anime/gaming cons, because a lot of the people barely budget beyond travel and hotel, so they're dirt broke all the time and don't tip worth a drat.

Not to mention the "I will never come here/see this person in my life again, ever" mentality.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Labour day wasn't bad for me. Infact it was a fairly easy time and a half in the dishpit.

On the subject of music, I have a set of speakers I can turn up as loud as I want pretty much. I play all sorts of terrible poo poo. Richard Cheese, E-Rotic, Bloodhound Gang, mashups galore, daft punk and whatever else. Nobody complains, so maybe it's not as terrible as I think.

Though Lords of Acid has definitely gotten the most "Huh wha?" reactions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo-KBG4jCZQ

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

This was something I used to play just so I could say:

"I got the flow, and its pumping out my ovaries"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WJFjXtHcy4

Secret Spoon fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 8, 2015

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

FYI, the guy doing dishes probably hates you and is praying for the day when he can somehow gently caress you over.

I put a plate in the wrong like and immediately realized it and went to fix it and he was already going way over the top abou it

Trust me I am good to the rest of back of house

The fact that if we start slowing down I'm the first guy to grab an apron and jump in on dishes earns me a lot of goodwill

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 8, 2015

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Yay cleaning. We have a whopping 54 on the books tonight. It's the first day of school so we're gonna be slow as gently caress since everyone is gonna be at McDonald's and Applebee's type places.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

Anime and videogame swag budget: $350

Tips for servers, who are people trying to live in a modern society with you: $5

and people actually wonder why ISIS has such appeal...

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
whup, the well of radical islam has been poisoned too

HOOOOOOOKAY so maoism is passe and ironislam is a no-go so, uhhh... uhhhhhhhh..... *flips through the pages of Modern Contrarian*

Khorne! The Blood God, Khorne, demands but one tithe, and cares not from whence it flows but would be simply tickled pink for it to come from undertipping anime conventioneers.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Sep 9, 2015

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Being a MAN server in the South is pretty funny. Esp on the beach.

Had a couple come in. Guy is clearly drunk. Didn't order any alcohol.

CAN I GET MORE BREAD. CAN I GET A REFILL. CAN I GET SOME SAUCE. MORE NAPKINS. CAN I GET RANCH.

Leaves me $4 on a $50 tab!

I felt really bad for his gf / wife

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

CAN I GET MORE BREAD. CAN I GET A REFILL. CAN I GET SOME SAUCE. MORE NAPKINS. CAN I GET RANCH.

Wow that's so different than my experience with idiots as a FEMALE server. Oh wait, no people are just idiots.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

What does this even mean?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
It means he's super salty at being asked to do basic server poo poo like fetch condiments and refills, and feels a WOMAN wouldn't be asked to.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I think it's more he thinks this guy would have tipped a woman better? not to mention, of course, the insane levels of sexual harassment tipping culture fosters.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

As a consumer, I feel really awkward when I have to ask for a thing to be done.

But Jesus Christ I'm supposed to feel bad to ask for a refill or more napkins?

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

I'm sure they didn't feel a thing

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

that's usually a signal you're bad at your job

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Trebuchet King posted:

I think it's more he thinks this guy would have tipped a woman better? not to mention, of course, the insane levels of sexual harassment tipping culture fosters.

This guy gets it.

The dude was just a drunk rear end redneck.

His friend tipped me just fine

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Would rather be a dude server and make a little less than put up with even a small handful of the horrors I have seen female servers subjected to, I definitely do not have the constitution for that!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If you're female and you look like you "get down" you get better tips obviously.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

This guy gets it.

The dude was just a drunk rear end redneck.

His friend tipped me just fine

Did this guy mention anything or are you projecting your own insecurities onto this interaction? Maybe he felt like the service was subpar because he had to call you over to take care of basic server functions like refilling his drink?

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

E:^^^ Not trying to stick up for AMAHD but sometimes a drunk redneck is a drunk redneck.

Thumposaurus posted:

If you're female and you look like you "get down" you get better tips obviously.

Where I work there is a decent older lady crowd that comes through and I can tell you that they definitely tip me and the other younger guys more than they tip the women. It also seems easier for me to upsell them, but I might be imagining all this.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Simoom posted:

Would rather be a dude server and make a little less than put up with even a small handful of the horrors I have seen female servers subjected to, I definitely do not have the constitution for that!

For whatever reason I am a hit with a lot of our gay regulars. For the most part it just means I get compliments, occasionally some inquiries or flirts I try to graciously shut down, but one time...well, not only did this gropey-rear end old queen have no sense of personal space or boundaries, but good lord did he have a temper too. If I hadn't been so new to the specific restaurant I'd like to think I'd have had a bit more backbone, but honestly the...casualness of it all was incredibly jarring, like I'd never have imagined someone would think it is acceptable to just reach out and grope a stranger.

The point I'm trying to get to, though, is this--in a year and a half I've had to deal with that once, as what is apparently called an "otter," as one of my gay teammates later explained (I did not ask for any elucidation beyond that). A woman--any woman--would have to put up with that kind of poo poo, or even worse poo poo, all the goddamn time.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

I googled it for you, its a thin/athletic hairy dude.

E: there is like a 30 different animals jesus christ. Some of them have sub types. What the hell is going on.

Secret Spoon fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 9, 2015

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Secret Spoon posted:

I googled it for you, its a thin/athletic hairy dude.

E: there is like a 30 different animals jesus christ. Some of them have sub types. What the hell is going on.

turn leftttttt

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Hrm, weird, I don't think of myself as thin or athletic. I guess I was being paid a compliment, then? :iiam:

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Trebuchet King posted:

Hrm, weird, I don't think of myself as thin or athletic. I guess I was being paid a compliment, then? :iiam:

They mean athletic more in turn with someone who jogs maybe 20 miles a week. They have a classifications for athletes with their own animals, like bull! Im an otter but Im working on being a wolf!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Trebuchet King posted:

Do you know what a bear is? An otter is a smaller bear.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Things that are awesome about our sautee guy becoming our new exec: he's been here forever, we don't have someone new coming in and breaking our chill vibes, and it means I get to learn sautee. I mean even if I get a chance to move to hot line I'd probably offer to stay at pantry cause I like it, but I like learning new stations too. I like being helpful.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
I would be frankly concerned if you lost a generation of sous.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Secret Spoon posted:

E:^^^ Not trying to stick up for AMAHD but sometimes a drunk redneck is a drunk redneck.

Where I work there is a decent older lady crowd that comes through and I can tell you that they definitely tip me and the other younger guys more than they tip the women. It also seems easier for me to upsell them, but I might be imagining all this.

This is 100% true, also there's some weird old school idea that women who wait tables are not professionals, as opposed to the men who do, and some of the old crowd tips accordingly. Because you see we have husbands or something and are doing this for pin money. Its rare but I've definitely seen it.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Thumposaurus posted:

I worked alone at a coffee shop and decided to do an experiment. On my usual Sunday shift, when most of my business was a church crowd, I wore a low cut shirt one week and a crew neck t shirt the next week. About the same amount of business and all the same regulars (lots of middle aged women, tbh) and I got probably $10-15 more with the low cut shirt.

So yeah, put your tits out and you'll get more money. It's science.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
"Hi, welcome to Sbarro's, *unbuttons top shirt button* my name is a man and his dog and I'll be serving you today. Just in case you were wondering, *unbuttons top button of pants* I get down .

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Skinny King Pimp posted:

I worked alone at a coffee shop and decided to do an experiment. On my usual Sunday shift, when most of my business was a church crowd, I wore a low cut shirt one week and a crew neck t shirt the next week. About the same amount of business and all the same regulars (lots of middle aged women, tbh) and I got probably $10-15 more with the low cut shirt.

So yeah, put your tits out and you'll get more money. It's science.

small sample size

e: HEYOOOOOO

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

pile of brown posted:

"Hi, welcome to Sbarro's, *unbuttons top shirt button* my name is a man and his dog and I'll be serving you today. Just in case you were wondering, *unbuttons top button of pants* I get down .

Lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

pile of brown posted:

This post for president.

• Locked thread