Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dusty Lens posted:

Maybe if you have low charisma you should get a negative perk like socially repressed manchild and just fumble your way through one awkward conversation to the next.

why would i want to play as myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I dunno, ask Gopher about how important :spergin:play is.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
That could be a laugh, the Low Chr run where you give all the right answers with high Int but people say "Yes, but you're an rear end in a top hat." and refuse to listen to you out of spite. Try to convince people of something, "You talk like a gay robot" and they enter combat.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Boogaleeboo posted:

That could be a laugh, the Low Chr run where you give all the right answers with high Int but people say "Yes, but you're an rear end in a top hat." and refuse to listen to you out of spite. Try to convince people of something, "You talk like a gay robot" and they enter combat.

This feels like something that should have been in Fallout by default. Sure you're an informed and intelligent person but somewhere between your terrible stutter, total lack of confidence and soul crushingly hideous face few people can muster up a care for what you have to say.

I don't really remember there being any hard penalty for dropping your charisma down to 1. Fewer companions and they suck more? But otherwise it just eats away a levels worth of skill points in speech.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I take back what I said about NV's world map, I think I started believing it was bland and "amusement park like" because I've played that game way too much and know everything about it by now. FO3's world map isn't that great, and I find myself noticing the towns are in different places than I remember them being - most likely because, as someone pointed out, there are no landmarks.

That being said, Tale of Two Wastelands is nifty and makes playing FO3 fun again. Looking forward to nuking Megaton so I live like a rich rear end in a top hat.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Bethesda put up a blog post detailing their plans for post-launch content

Here are the cliffs notes if you don't care to click:
- Free Updates, similar to Skyrim (which added mounted combat and extra visual flair after launch)
- Creation Kit coming early next year, as always.
- DLC starting early next year, with a $30 season pass that'll cover everything. They aren't sure what it'll entail though, since they're still making the actual game.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

The Kins posted:

- Free Updates, similar to Skyrim (which added mounted combat and extra visual flair after launch)
- DLC starting early next year, with a $30 season pass that'll cover everything. They aren't sure what it'll entail though, since they're still making the actual game.

The line about how these mods are available for Xbone and eventually PS4 give me pause, because modding previous Bethesda games and how it works seems absolutely impossible on a console, and makes me wonder if that ties into the expected retry on paid mods. They didn't mention the mods would be free, just the updates :v:

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I can't imagine console mods working well. Sure, the simple re-balance mods that change a few numbers or place some items in the world should be fine, but I'm expecting it to quickly spiral off into things that the systems can't handle like 8k texture resolution lingerie mods and the like.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease

The Kins posted:

Hope thats true, and not just a bunch of content left out the main game. I wonder if having voiced protagonist will affect DLC. Presumably they'll have to have the voice actors come back to record more dialogue.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

KakerMix posted:

The line about how these mods are available for Xbone and eventually PS4 give me pause, because modding previous Bethesda games and how it works seems absolutely impossible on a console, and makes me wonder if that ties into the expected retry on paid mods. They didn't mention the mods would be free, just the updates :v:

Mods will have to be approved to move to consoles. So you won't be getting a bunch of dick mods on PS4.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

jeff8472 posted:

Hope thats true, and not just a bunch of content left out the main game. I wonder if having voiced protagonist will affect DLC. Presumably they'll have to have the voice actors come back to record more dialogue.

Well yeah? Is that big of a deal? ME had a lot of DLC and it was voiced protagonist too...

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

My understanding is that VAs are contracted for future DLC ahead of time, please riggity-rectify me if that is not the case.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
Destiny replaced Peter Dinklage, so its possible there might be issues getting an actor to come back to record additional dialogue.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I don't think companions will talk much even in the base game but companions generally didn't get more dialogue in Mass Effect dlc (save for Citadel).

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

jeff8472 posted:

Destiny replaced Peter Dinklage, so its possible there might be issues getting an actor to come back to record additional dialogue.

In the case of Dinklage it was because his reading was poo poo and they didn't want to get him back

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
The Nolan North dialogue isn't any better. It's the crap Bungie is making them read that sucks.

But enough derailment, back to bitching about Fallout 4 before we even see enough of the game to form an accurate impression!:cheerdoge:

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.

Cojawfee posted:

Mods will have to be approved to move to consoles. So you won't be getting a bunch of dick mods on PS4.

Probably stuff like modding in new weapons and armor (the Millenia group make some awesome weapon mods for NV). Maybe some simple location mods like the DC Interiors mod which adds a lot more buildings to explore in the DC ruins, stuff like that I can see being console compatible.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Magmarashi posted:

In the case of Dinklage it was because his reading was poo poo and they didn't want to get him back

His reading was the least of Destiny's problems...

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

It makes me laugh that there are still people who think there are massive packs of content that the developers intentionally choose to cut from the main game and then re release. How much time do you think these guys have?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Rabidredneck posted:

Probably stuff like modding in new weapons and armor (the Millenia group make some awesome weapon mods for NV). Maybe some simple location mods like the DC Interiors mod which adds a lot more buildings to explore in the DC ruins, stuff like that I can see being console compatible.

Pretty much stuff you'd find on steam workshop.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Bob NewSCART posted:

It makes me laugh that there are still people who think there are massive packs of content that the developers intentionally choose to cut from the main game and then re release. How much time do you think these guys have?

Then what else do you think they're doing, moron

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Hmmmm you're right. I have no idea

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
The creation kit will likely handle building for PS4/XBONE in terms of making sure it won't break anything and that they can handle it. Actual humans will probably try and fail miserably at checking for "inappropriate content" before letting it go onto wherever Sony/MS let it go, but since the game is rated M anyway there shouldn't be too much media outra--nope, who am I kidding, the media is going to have a field day over this the second some community of trolls decides to stress-test their approval system.

I've actually been shocked that the government has thus far let the ESRB get away with "online content not rated". It's super reasonable that they cannot rate online content, but at the same time that seems like the sort of thing the government would find an excuse to extra-tax or rate themselves.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

THE PENETRATOR posted:

What else would you like them to do while they wait for the game to release? Once the game is determined to be finished and sent off to be playtested and put onto discs, there's nothing for them to do besides make new content.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

Decus posted:

The creation kit will likely handle building for PS4/XBONE in terms of making sure it won't break anything and that they can handle it. Actual humans will probably try and fail miserably at checking for "inappropriate content" before letting it go onto wherever Sony/MS let it go, but since the game is rated M anyway there shouldn't be too much media outra--nope, who am I kidding, the media is going to have a field day over this the second some community of trolls decides to stress-test their approval system.

I've actually been shocked that the government has thus far let the ESRB get away with "online content not rated". It's super reasonable that they cannot rate online content, but at the same time that seems like the sort of thing the government would find an excuse to extra-tax or rate themselves.

It wont be a bethesda game without slapping anime tits on everything. Everything. EVERYTHING.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Decus posted:

The creation kit will likely handle building for PS4/XBONE in terms of making sure it won't break anything and that they can handle it.
It wouldn't be a Bethesda game if modding didn't break everything.

Maybe they should just avoid the problem by allowing one mod at a time.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

The Kins posted:

Of course they're doing season passes now, everyone needs to be able to preorder likely 10 months worth of content in advance. Or spend $30 for maybe one good expansion and 2 pieces of Hearthfire style mods that they took and used.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

That's a bit pessimistic isn't it?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
new vegas DLC owned and so did Skyrims

so i dont get why people are being so weird about it

its not like they can develop content for the game till the night before and have it magically show up, at a certain point they have to say 'okay, this is the game we made, now lets start thinking about adding DLC'

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

KakerMix posted:

Nah you could use PC mods on consoles for Skyrim and Oblivion (and maybe Morrowind, too). The limitation was the console's memory/HDD space basically.

You probably won't be able to do fancy poo poo like run a script extender or anything that requires it but who knows really. Mod management (load order + bashed patches and such) will probably be a mess though yeah because that stuff is usually handled by 3rd party apps people make.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Eonwe posted:

new vegas DLC owned and so did Skyrims

I really hated the vampire dlc but it did have crossbows and neat looking armor so it's a wash

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Eonwe posted:

and so did Skyrims

Now I can't comment on Dragonborn, but I can tell you right now that as cool as Crossbows were (And they were extremely cool) Dawnguard was absolutely not worth the $20 I paid for it. That was just Bethesda writing and quest design at its worst.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Now I can't comment on Dragonborn, but I can tell you right now that as cool as Crossbows were (And they were extremely cool) Dawnguard was absolutely not worth the $20 I paid for it. That was just Bethesda writing and quest design at its worst.

If you bought all the DLC for $30 including dawnguard it would have been tho

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

My sister beta-tested it on 360 so we got it for free :getin: Unfortunately I can't expect the someone-else-bought-it discount for FO4 tho

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
They probably have a mandate from their publisher to create DLC for any IP they develop, since that's just what people do now. It's arguable as to whether that's cutting content from the original game, but I have to imagine it's straight up a part of the development process to say 'ok, Zenimax wants us to produce three pieces of expansion content.'

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Eonwe posted:

If you bought all the DLC for $30 including dawnguard it would have been tho

Well I stopped playing Skyrim before Dragonborn was released, so if anything that actually would have been a worse deal.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday
I'm done with season passes. I bought the one for Destiny, which was somehow an even bigger waste of money than Destiny itself was. Also bought the season pass for Xenoverse, and it wasn't worth the money, either.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Asking whether Bethesda can create DLC worth buying is kind of a weird question given their track record. I'm more worried about whether the base game will be interesting and fun enough that I'd want another 10-20 hours of it afterward.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
That's definitely the better question. I don't have a problem with season passes existing, but personally I wouldn't ever buy one since it's paying for stuff I may not even feel like using, without knowing anything about it, way far in advance. I can pay for it later if I do end up wanting it, even if it's slightly more (doubtful, goty edition will be out by then).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Asking whether Bethesda can create DLC worth buying is kind of a weird question given their track record.

People also act surprised and/or incredulous when a Bethesda open-world game has crummy writing and is shallow as gently caress but this is the world we live in.

• Locked thread