Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's not Android, but I feel like the Surface 3 makes a much better 2-in-1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Nintendo Kid posted:

I wish there was a modern Transformer, I loved the keyboard and touchpad on my original release one, but it just ended up too slow and low res.
I loved my Transformer but it's certainly no use in 2015.

I really wish Google would ease their rule that only Chrome OS may be in that form factor and embrace something like this:
http://www.cube-tablet.com/cube-i7-remix-11-6-inch-64-bit-intel-tablet.html

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?
I'm curious if anyone has any actual experience with a battery replacement for a 2013 Nexus 7?

I see a couple of random kits, and the job looks easy enough, but is there anyone who might be able to recommend a particular brand/model of battery, or is random Chinese stuff random Chinese stuff and buy the cheapest and hope for the best the route to take here?

It's gotten to the point where 'full' to 'empty' is maaaaaybe 2 hours of screen time at this point, so it's pretty much either new battery, or new tablet - and really, there's nothing else wrong with it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rastor posted:

I really wish Google would ease their rule that only Chrome OS may be in that form factor and embrace something like this:
http://www.cube-tablet.com/cube-i7-remix-11-6-inch-64-bit-intel-tablet.html

Given you can run Android apps in ChromeOS, why would you want it to be just Android?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Given you can run Android apps in ChromeOS
This statement is somewhat stretching the truth.

You can try to run Android apps using buggy beta software and if you're lucky it might not immediately crash so that you can discover that the navigation in the app is not at all suitable for a touchpad anyway.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

This statement is somewhat stretching the truth.

You can try to run Android apps using buggy beta software and if you're lucky it might not immediately crash so that you can discover that the navigation in the app is not at all suitable for a touchpad anyway.

All Google software is buggy beta software :v:

But in all seriousness, I don't get wanting a laptop/tablet combo anyway. If you just want a keyboard for an Android tablet you can have that now--just buy a Bluetooth keyboard. If that's not robust enough for you, maybe you need a Chromebook/cheap PC depending on your ecosystem. What does fighting to combine these things do for anyone?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LastInLine posted:

Given you can run Android apps in ChromeOS, why would you want it to be just Android?

Because ChromeOS is a piece of poo poo? If I wanted to use a gimped up version of Linux, I'd just run normal Linux on a netbook.

LastInLine posted:

All Google software is buggy beta software :v:

But in all seriousness, I don't get wanting a laptop/tablet combo anyway. If you just want a keyboard for an Android tablet you can have that now--just buy a Bluetooth keyboard. If that's not robust enough for you, maybe you need a Chromebook/cheap PC depending on your ecosystem. What does fighting to combine these things do for anyone?

The whole extremely long battery life due to having two full size battery things is one of the biggest draws of the Transformer design dude. Meanwhile using bluetooth to do it instead produces the opposite, quicker battery drain due to additional radio usage.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Nintendo Kid posted:

The whole extremely long battery life due to having two full size battery things is one of the biggest draws of the Transformer design dude. Meanwhile using bluetooth to do it instead produces the opposite, quicker battery drain due to additional radio usage.

Unfortunately, even Asus has given up on this design. The keyboard for the TF103 is wired, but doesn't contain a battery. I think the usual excuse is weight.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Nintendo Kid posted:

Because ChromeOS is a piece of poo poo? If I wanted to use a gimped up version of Linux, I'd just run normal Linux on a netbook.

Chrome OS is pretty good actually. It's not meant to do anything other than browse the web, and in that regard it's a great platform for a majority of people.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I've used Chromebooks, I like Chromebooks, but Google is stupid for spending the engineering effort to turn Android APKs into web apps or whatever the hell that Android-in-Chrome deal is instead of just embracing Android as an operating system for running local apps on the local system.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

teagone posted:

Chrome OS is pretty good actually. It's not meant to do anything other than browse the web, and in that regard it's a great platform for a majority of people.

Chrome OS is awful because it uses Chrome, a bad browser. And also because it's just plain Linux artificialyl locked down, so there's no reason not to just run like Ubuntu and Chrome is you like Chrome.

But you did just illustrate why it's ridiculous for that guy to say "just use Chrome OS instead of Android". Android does things that aren't browsing the web.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Internet Explorer posted:

It's not Android, but I feel like the Surface 3 makes a much better 2-in-1.
The SP3 is an insanely good hybrid and blows everything else out of the water but it also costs about 2-3 times as much as the better tablets so it's hard to directly compare them.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nintendo Kid posted:

Chrome OS is awful because it uses Chrome, a bad browser. And also because it's just plain Linux artificialyl locked down, so there's no reason not to just run like Ubuntu and Chrome is you like Chrome.
Hey, my Dad wants to know how to install Ubuntu, can you go round and teach him? He can just about record programs on a DVR so I'm sure it'll be fine.

Edit:
VVV He says it didn't come with an Ubuntu disk.

Also this isn't the thread for this so I won't add more replies about it but ChromeOS is nice and serves a purpose for certain audiences, particularly less technical users and in education. It isn't good for power users, anyone who wants to play games, or, well, almost anybody else.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 8, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tunga posted:

Hey, my Dad wants to know how to install Ubuntu, can you go round and teach him? He can just about record programs on a DVR so I'm sure it'll be fine.

Put the Ubuntu disc in and press next about 15 times.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeah my TF101's batteries are finally giving up and not holding charge any more. RIP best tablet ever. Could use it for several days without having to charge it, but now it won't last for one day. Of course I'm still waiting for my replacement NVIDIA SHIELD. They sent me an email about it:

quote:

Dear NVIDIA tablet owner,

We apologize for the delay in sending your replacement SHIELD Tablet.

We are fulfilling claims as quickly as we can, in the order in which they were received. In some cases, we are running behind our target delivery of 2-4 weeks. We’re doing everything we can to accelerate the schedule.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Caphi posted:

Unfortunately, even Asus has given up on this design. The keyboard for the TF103 is wired, but doesn't contain a battery. I think the usual excuse is weight.

Seems like you'd want weight in the keyboard to counterbalance the weight of the tablet when you've got the unit open like a laptop.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Rastor posted:

I've used Chromebooks, I like Chromebooks, but Google is stupid for spending the engineering effort to turn Android APKs into web apps or whatever the hell that Android-in-Chrome deal is instead of just embracing Android as an operating system for running local apps on the local system.

Google's spending the effort to run Android apps in ChromeOS because they're hedging their bets. They're probably more disappointed with Android becoming what it has than we are.

With ChromeOS, unlike Android, no one has any illusions about who has the balance of power. Now imagine that in tablet or phone form factor (and keep in mind A) full-screen's existed in browsers for A While and B) nothing stops you from targeting asm.js for native-code-equivalent acceleration).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Google's spending the effort to run Android apps in ChromeOS because they're hedging their bets. They're probably more disappointed with Android becoming what it has than we are.

With ChromeOS, unlike Android, no one has any illusions about who has the balance of power. Now imagine that in tablet or phone form factor (and keep in mind A) full-screen's existed in browsers for A While and B) nothing stops you from targeting asm.js for native-code-equivalent acceleration).

That sounds like, one day, Android will cease to be in favor of Chrome OS phones...

Possible?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Syrinxx posted:

The SP3 is an insanely good hybrid and blows everything else out of the water but it also costs about 2-3 times as much as the better tablets so it's hard to directly compare them.

The Surface 3 (non-pro) isn't far off from what the Transformer line was in price.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

That sounds like, one day, Android will cease to be in favor of Chrome OS phones...

Possible?

I don't think it's possible anymore, not with the brand recognition that Android has now. Maybe 5 years ago that kind of brand transition could have been made.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

teagone posted:

I don't think it's possible anymore, not with the brand recognition that Android has now. Maybe 5 years ago that kind of brand transition could have been made.

What's Android? Is that like an iPhone or a Galaxy?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

What's Android? Is that like an iPhone or a Galaxy?

All the less tech savvy people I know are all aware that Samsung/Sony/whatever smartphones run Android :shrug:

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
So my Nexus 7 seems to like to completely power down when I leave it on my Nexus wireless charger with Daydream going. It doesn't go dead; the battery is full, it just seems to power off at some point. For now the solution is to obviously just turn Daydream off but I'm not sure if this is a symptom of a larger issue I should bother looking into.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Rastor posted:

The concept has always been solid but Asus dropped the ball so many times that the market is still pretty eh on convertibles.

I tried the TF 701 when it came out, having owned the 201/700. At the time it was 500 + 150 for the dock and the docks were totally defective..any movement would cause a disconnect right away. On the tablet side, it had some weird ambient sensor issue where it would constantly shift brightness every second ... So I returned the hell out of it, and stuck with the 700 since it could still function as a pdf reader and media player (if you could handle a ton of a lag getting to those).

The 700 gave up the ghost just shy of 3 years in (kind of impressive for the worst eMMC and SoC combo)..and somehow I got an email for tf701+keyboard bundles @ 280 shipped and I went for it.

Updating from 4.2 to 4.4.2 [which I'm guessing is the last version it'll see] fixed the brightness thing, the dock is way more solid than the first version I tried, and the QHD screen is really nice.

Downsides being the usb host on the tablet is totally hosed (maybe issues with USB3 on the tegra4 or something?) so it's useless, the dock disconnects and therefore unmounts when the screen is turned off..it's maybe 60% of the brightness of the 700..which was insanely bright for a tablet. The battery life is about 1/3rd or 1/2 of what I was getting on the 201/700...

I'd like to get something more modern for 5.1/6.0 but they've switched to crappier resolution models with x86 chips and all the stuff I've looked at isn't really any better.

I'm hoping for a 12-14" 2 in 1 with a full size usb somewhere (tab/dock whatever), SD card slots, QHD or better res and doesn't weigh more than 2-3lbs. Battery life of at least 4 to 5 hours of SOT...
It can run windows or android at this point, it doesn't really matter. I will buy you! No light weight keyboard cover dealios though, full clamshell style ability. Maybe with the larger ipad pro coming out we'll get some actual android ta- hahaha, who am I kidding.

I'm very sold on detaching the screen for reading pdfs properly. Give me a larger screen so I can have 1:1 with a 8x11 piece of paper!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

zer0spunk posted:

I'm hoping for a 12-14" 2 in 1 with a full size usb somewhere (tab/dock whatever), SD card slots, QHD or better res and doesn't weigh more than 2-3lbs. Battery life of at least 4 to 5 hours of SOT...
It can run windows or android at this point, it doesn't really matter. I will buy you! No light weight keyboard cover dealios though, full clamshell style ability. Maybe with the larger ipad pro coming out we'll get some actual android ta- hahaha, who am I kidding.

I'm very sold on detaching the screen for reading pdfs properly. Give me a larger screen so I can have 1:1 with a 8x11 piece of paper!

This is the Surface Pro 3.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

This is the Surface Pro 3.

I'm going to be paying attention to the pro 4 announcement in October. The thing that stopped me from the 3 was definitely the soft keyboard cover..I'd like a more traditional hinge style cover.

e: also the 3:2 ratio is kinda eh for me, I've been spoiled with 16:10 on my desktop and this tablet/dock setup already. 3:2 feels like a step back.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Are there any good 16:10 tablets on the horizon or is 4:3 the wave of the future?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Require More Fire posted:

So my Nexus 7 seems to like to completely power down when I leave it on my Nexus wireless charger with Daydream going. It doesn't go dead; the battery is full, it just seems to power off at some point. For now the solution is to obviously just turn Daydream off but I'm not sure if this is a symptom of a larger issue I should bother looking into.

Daydream has never worked well for me on any device. Also the things get so hot on my Tylts that I'm going to guess that what you describe is a symptom of overheating.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Odd, my N7 barely gets warm at all on my Tylt

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Odd, my N7 barely gets warm at all on my Tylt

While Daydreaming? Maybe it was the particular example I had. v :) v

I still frequently think about picking up a 2013 N7 again, but it's three years old at this point.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I would buy a new N7 in a heartbeat. Perhaps I should wait until the N9 gets more price reductions.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Rusty Kettle posted:

I would buy a new N7 in a heartbeat. Perhaps I should wait until the N9 gets more price reductions.

Wait until October. Maybe they'll announce a new N7.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
The N7 is still solid. It was starting to look like a shitshow when Lollipop first rolled out but the last few updates brought it back to it's old, smooth self. I'm more of a phone + laptop guy these days but I still love having the N7 bedside for reading, gaming, little things like that.

And yeah I suspect the Daydreaming issue is due to overheating. Haven't had the problem at all since I turned that off.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
99% sure my Galaxy Tab 4 has a totally dead battery. Any ideas?

more stuff: won't turn on. Won't charge (have tried multiple wire / charging block / outlet combinations) When plugged in, screen only flashes an empty battery icon once every 6-8 seconds.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Have you left it plugged in for a few hours to charge? It might have a completely dead battery and it won't respond until it has had some time to charge.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Hughmoris posted:

Have you left it plugged in for a few hours to charge? It might have a completely dead battery and it won't respond until it has had some time to charge.

I have but will try again now that it's been completely off any chargers for 3 days. (figured it could use a full drain)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Are there any good 16:10 tablets on the horizon or is 4:3 the wave of the future?

I'm worried about this too - if I wanted 4:3 I'd just get an iPad Mini 2 (which is actually a good deal cheaper than any reasonable Android option I can get locally anyway)

E. I'm still fairly happy with my N7 but it really could do with a slightly larger display, and the battery life is getting pretty poor these days

dissss fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 16, 2015

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
News: Amazon announced new Fire tablets including a a 7" 1024x600 tablet that sells for $50 (or 6 for $250 :lol: )

Views: While obviously a pretty bargain basement tablet, I would much rather have people buying a $50 Amazon Fire then a $50 Big Lot's special. They also made the OS look more like stock android rather than the abomination it was previously.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yeah and a 10" tablet for like 225. It's interesting, but of course you can't get the standard suite of Google apps on them without rooting as far as I know. Which makes sense for them, but not being able to easily use all the things I'm accustomed to is a huge negative. Especially if Google ever puts out a 9-11" tablet of a quality of the Nexus 7 2013 (preferably with better QC on battery since that seems to run the gamut) for a reasonable price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BeastOfExmoor posted:

News: Amazon announced new Fire tablets including a a 7" 1024x600 tablet that sells for $50 (or 6 for $250 :lol: )

Views: While obviously a pretty bargain basement tablet, I would much rather have people buying a $50 Amazon Fire then a $50 Big Lot's special. They also made the OS look more like stock android rather than the abomination it was previously.

Yeah. Also, Amazon's warranty/customer service makes the 7" Fire a massive step above anything else in that low as gently caress price range. My dad's Nexus 7 2012 just shat the bed on him so I'm gonna get him a Fire as a replacement.