Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Segmentation Fault posted:

WB Games didn't give Polygon, et. al a nice bundle of cash and free goodies like they did with Arkham Knight.

Bunch of horseshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rinkles posted:

Don't think they add weight, and boarders still jump and hang on regardless.

Only on the hood of the car. if they actually hit a spike when jumping, they attach and ragdoll.

It's the most fun I have in convoys.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Parkingtigers posted:

Dude, you're forgetting Pink Eye. Badass super-mechanic in a wheelchair, leader of a stronghold. She's Mad Max as gently caress.

Pink Eye is one of the most awesome characters in the game I agree.

As for Hope in this game/Joe's harem in Fury Road I'm not too upset about them wearing clean clothes, since their entire thematic point is that they represent purity, (ostensible) fragility, and, well, hope. Mad Max is a stylized, almost fantastical world, and the dresses are as conscious a design decision as the War Boys' obsession with chrome spray paint or Immortan Joe's breather.

Also dismissing Mad Max: Fury Road's portrayal of women because of the harem is incredibly myopic given the main character is essentially Imperator Furiosa.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Capn Beeb posted:

Good news! That's the post game unlock Main Force Patrol jacket that fills out your defense meter. :v:

Alright now I'm kind of thinking of blitzing through the story mission to get post-game unlocks since they all seem to turn you into the actual Mad Max from the films, which I'd like to become to do sidequests and feel appropriately badassed.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."

Parkingtigers posted:

Dude, you're forgetting Pink Eye. Badass super-mechanic in a wheelchair, leader of a stronghold. She's Mad Max as gently caress.

Segmentation Fault posted:

Pink Eye is one of the most awesome characters in the game I agree.
Cool as Pink Eye's wheelchair is, I'm just not feeling it. Maybe it's because I have had to speak to her only one time? She'd be cooler if she got more lines, like Gutgash and the discussion you have with him about his inspiring religious lies about the sea coming back in and drowning the world.

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

We were all delighted, we all realized we were leaving confusion and nonsense behind and performing our one noble function of the time, move.

King Vidiot posted:

Alright now I'm kind of thinking of blitzing through the story mission to get post-game unlocks since they all seem to turn you into the actual Mad Max from the films, which I'd like to become to do sidequests and feel appropriately badassed.

You should do this anyway. Most of the non-story content can be made a lot more fun when the core stuff in unlocked. I'm a completion nerd and tend to do everything I can in the game before advancing the story and then repeating and I felt like it worked against me a lot in this one.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
None of the characters have much more personality than the Just Cause 2 leaders.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
Here's a positive review from an unbiased source: http://www.abc.net.au/tv/goodgame/stories/s4308355.htm

The show is publicly funded so they don't bribe these guys. They skim very briefly through the best and worst of the game.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

KlavoHunter posted:

Cool as Pink Eye's wheelchair is, I'm just not feeling it. Maybe it's because I have had to speak to her only one time? She'd be cooler if she got more lines, like Gutgash and the discussion you have with him about his inspiring religious lies about the sea coming back in and drowning the world.

Pinkeye has like 3 wasteland missions for you with a discussion before each one though?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Oh god, I am exactly the sort of sperg who needs to try to figure out where in Australia this game is supposed to be even though it doesn't work that way.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Pinkeye is trying to get the younger members of her tribe away on a wind powered sandboat. She seems to understand the violence is never going to go away; she'd rather risk her people dying trying to find their own green place. In a way she reminds me a little of Furiosa in that sense.

How Deep Friah is tolerated in Gastown is not understood. And ironically his followers are so fickle his second in command was able to lure half of them away to start their own splinter fire cult.

Stank Gum is obviously just the Wastelands version of Buffalo Bill. Obviously in this world sadism is seen as leadership potential.

Scrotus is crazy because of the brain surgery he got courtesy of Max. While people were impressed of Max's rumored deed, Max also kind of destabilized the region in the process.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
One major thing I found disappointing about the game was most of the boss fights. All the Top Dogs have the same simplistic moveset, and Roadkill and Buzzard factions have their equivalent that is just a reskinned version. Tenderloin and Stank Gums fights are just the same as those dodgey knife guys.

The game gives you plenty of fighting skills to unlock, and many are just "cool but not essential". But if they had made the boss fights more unique then unlocking skills would be more essential. Shiv escape, for example is cool but for me personally I'd just rather roll out of the way since I won't know if the guy is going to grab me or throw a haymaker if he's partly offscreen. But if there was a boss that bear bugged you or something then stabbing him out of it would be great. Similarly if there was a boss that had reversals himself or used the terrain to his advantage, then some of the counters and disarm moves would be more important.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Panfilo posted:

Pinkeye is trying to get the younger members of her tribe away on a wind powered sandboat. She seems to understand the violence is never going to go away; she'd rather risk her people dying trying to find their own green place. In a way she reminds me a little of Furiosa in that sense.

How Deep Friah is tolerated in Gastown is not understood. And ironically his followers are so fickle his second in command was able to lure half of them away to start their own splinter fire cult.

Stank Gum is obviously just the Wastelands version of Buffalo Bill. Obviously in this world sadism is seen as leadership potential.

Scrotus is crazy because of the brain surgery he got courtesy of Max. While people were impressed of Max's rumored deed, Max also kind of destabilized the region in the process.

Deep Friah is allowed because he make the followers of the flame more docile and willing to work at Gastown without speaking/acting up. Getting killed/maimed/burned from fire is now a religious experience instead of something to avoid and start a uprising over.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
I feel like the main story takes you through the zones too quickly.

Also, they used this windows error type sound while building combos,, its annoying

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
Ending discussion:

So terribly unsatisfying. Hope and Joy die, then Chumbucket dies and the Magnum Opus is destroyed. Then we need to fight the final boss, who is in a car, on FOOT. After figuring out the simple pattern the final boss dies. Suddenly I'm warped back to the last hold I saved at standing next to a pristine Magnum Opus; and Hope, Joy and Chum are all alive again and giving me missions. Probably one of the worst video game endings in recent memory.

Mental Midget fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 9, 2015

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Ehh, I wouldn't say worst, but it's certainly disappointing.

End game:

I was hoping that Max would listen to Griffa, if he's real or otherwise, and acknowledge the fact that he's a broken person that desperately needs to heal. Here are some people in your life who can help you with this, but ohhh no, gotta get that V8 and gently caress off into who knows where of this place that may only be purely of your own design. Max acknowledging the whole thing about going crazy if you can't fix what's broken he mentioned in Fury Road here would've been a nice tie in.

Then of course things go to hell because that's just how things are in this world, and he fucks off into the Plains of Silence which could be maybe the Powder Flats he was captured at in Fury Road. :v:

The real bummer is there's no way to pop the gas tanks out of the Interceptor for Chum. I want to clean up the wastes in my prized Black on Black, but I still love the harpoon.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Parkingtigers posted:

Dude, don't point out that these people are ignoring all the women doing poo poo so they can champion their cause, this one woman is wearing slightly revealing clothes and doesn't look like poo poo so by George it must be misogyny at work!

ITS A GAME YOU NERDS

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Hah, my prediction about the ending was right.

PITT
Sep 21, 2004
MISTER
I just discovered by accident that if you light a jerry can and hit middle mouse to throw it and then hit middle mouse again while its airborne, Max will shoot it and it will air burst which tuned out to be helpful since I was franticly throwing it at a horde of ferals. :getin:

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis

PantsOptional posted:

Oh god, I am exactly the sort of sperg who needs to try to figure out where in Australia this game is supposed to be even though it doesn't work that way.

I am clearly not sperg enough, I just figured it's generic "Outback, mate". Let's wait for those Aussies to enlighten me on intricacies of that :haw:

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Somewhere on the coast after the seas start drying up.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

dogstile posted:

ITS A GAME YOU NERDS

Why do people keep spouting this exact phrase as though it means people shouldn't analyze something or voice their displeasure with how something is portrayed? It's a game, so the gently caress what? Christ. One of Fury Road's high points was its presence and portrayal of women, FORGIVE PEOPLE for hoping the same thing out of the new game from the same franchise. Jesus tits.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Just finished it. By percentage I'm 69% complete with the game, I've done all the missions, stronghold projects, fully upgraded the car, most of the scavenging, and I'm not going to bother with the races.

Overall I really liked it. Story was great, especially towards the end. Gameplay was mostly really good with some flat spots. Looking for minefields sucked and I dislike that it meant you couldn't keep the dog with you in the Opus. Not having motorcycles also is disappointing but maybe they'll add them in DLC or something?

Really good game, felt like I really got my money's worth.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Why do people keep spouting this exact phrase as though it means people shouldn't analyze something or voice their displeasure with how something is portrayed? It's a game, so the gently caress what? Christ. One of Fury Road's high points was its presence and portrayal of women, FORGIVE PEOPLE for hoping the same thing out of the new game from the same franchise. Jesus tits.

The game's really fun but it does seem like Avalanche kind of glossed over the fact that George Miller's movies had heart and some kind of human core to latch onto, and that they weren't just a gruff badass barreling through the wastes killing guys who're in spiked bondage gear. Hell the first movie in the pre-apocalypse was basically just a slow-burn drama for the first 3/4 of the running time. Max doesn't even go mad until the final 20 minutes.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Because said people do exactly what I pointed out on the part of my post you conveniently ignored. Keep on ignoring 90% of the women in the game so you can champion your cause though, bro.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

King Vidiot posted:

The game's really fun but it does seem like Avalanche kind of glossed over the fact that George Miller's movies had heart and some kind of human core to latch onto, and that they weren't just a gruff badass barreling through the wastes killing guys who're in spiked bondage gear. Hell the first movie in the pre-apocalypse was basically just a slow-burn drama for the first 3/4 of the running time. Max doesn't even go mad until the final 20 minutes.

Discussions about how progressive/representative a game is are important. Also the movies. Let's not also forget it wasn't until the third movie that we discovered that black people actually survived the apocalypse so there was some catchup there too. I just think the game, while it could perhaps do better, actually does pretty well. For one thing, an important theme of the movies, is the the overwhelming maleness of the antagonist gangs, with the more reasonable groups that Max interacts with having a more representative balance of gender including in the fighting roles. Mad Max 2 had a Warrior Woman (her listed name in the credits) that was being as badass as Furiosa 30 years earlier. Thunderdome was the exception to this rule, but there were only about 2 onscreen deaths in the entire thing and Aunty Entity allowing Max to live rather than just outright murdering him fits these recurring themes that in this world you stand a better chance of not being arbitrarily murdered if there are women in the society..

The stronghold factions having all the workers/warriors be a diverse mix of gender and race, but all the enemy groups being male, is very Mad Max. Having disabled people contributing to the world, and their disability never actually being a factor, or *even mentioned*, is also very Mad Max. Having a woman, maintaining a position of power and influence in a society which has regressed to a might makes right state, is also very Mad Max. Having people like The Outcrier be gay, and it never being mentioned or looked down upon is also very Mad Max.

I can't comment fairly on Hope yet as I'm still way behind on her story role. So far though, she seems to be represented in a similar role to any one of Immortan Joe's wives in Fury Road. She's a slave in the society, but has been demonstrating as much agency as she can within that role including straight up murdering a dude to protect Max early on when she thinks she can get away with it. I'm actually interested to see where they go with her storyline to see how they handle it overall. Could nosedive, could end up being just a tired trope, but there's a whole bunch of progressive elements in this game that have been overshadowed by that one prominent "woman held in chains that you rescue", which was also a big part of Fury Road and that was widely discussed as being a feminist action movie despite that.

Games can be good, or not good, entirely separate from their progressive elements. I prefer games to be good and progressive. It's right and important we have these discussions.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 10, 2015

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
I'm just mad that Pink Eye's motorized wheelchair isn't an unlockable vehicle you can drive around the wasteland in.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

Panfilo posted:

I'm just mad that Pink Eye's motorized wheelchair isn't an unlockable vehicle you can drive around the wasteland in.

With Chum sat on your shoulders and Dinky Di on your lap.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Also Dinky barks thunderpoons. :woof:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

TERRIBLE SHITLORD posted:

With Chum sat on your shoulders and Dinky Di on your lap.

Why can't I get an upgradeable Dinki Di hutch on the magnum anyway? He can help remove boarders.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

The Lone Badger posted:

Why can't I get an upgradeable Dinki Di hutch on the magnum anyway? He can help remove boarders.
I was honestly expecting it to work something like that in the first place. Unless something changes later in the game it's pretty disappointing that you never get to see the dog again during regular gameplay unless you bother with the minefield side missions, which aren't all that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

More often than not I get into the car on the wrong side because it just so happens to be closer. At one point in the game, Chum suddenly speaks up and says something along the lines of,".....don't you know where the steering wheel is? ......I didn't choose the wrong Saint, did I? :ohdear:"

I love that they threw something like that in there.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Panfilo posted:

There was an old Games Workshop boardgame called Battlecars, came out the same time as 1st edition Talisman. That boardgame was Mad Max as gently caress, basically arena combat with flamethrowers and rocket launchers in spike covered vehicles. Clearly took its inspiration from the movies, and rightly so. I owned this. They released an expansion set called Battlebikes which added in weaponised motorcycles.

Anyway, back then if you were a subscriber to White Dwarf magazine, you also got a little extra booklet called "Black Sun" which was dumbly awesome mini-magazine that was just silly jokes and extra content. One of the things they included was a little Battlecars expansion called Battlechairs. Normally in the game, if your car was destroyed you got out on foot and maybe possibly you could shoot another driver and take over their car. Verrrrry low odds, usually you'd get murdered. Battlechairs made it so that you weren't killed, but instead got to return to the arena in an armoured motorised wheelchair with a single weapon, for one chance at revenge. It was in terribly bad taste, was hilarious, and was actually a fun and playable idea coming from a joke pamphlet put out by the mail order crew.

Grandpa's tired now.

MMAgCh posted:

I was honestly expecting it to work something like that in the first place. Unless something changes later in the game it's pretty disappointing that you never get to see the dog again during regular gameplay unless you bother with the minefield side missions, which aren't all that.

I just drive out in the buggy, do one minefield on the way to a clearing a camp, then call up Chum with the Magnum Opus. The minefields aren't so bad if you just space them out like that. I'm going for everything anyway because GOTTA CLEAN THAT MAP, so just making it something that quickly happens on the way to a big fight is best.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 10, 2015

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

dogstile posted:

Because said people do exactly what I pointed out on the part of my post you conveniently ignored. Keep on ignoring 90% of the women in the game so you can champion your cause though, bro.

Forsooth, milord. Verily, I hath often pointed out that in Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet", only one woman commiteth suicide. Ergo, it is foolish in the extreme to analyze Juliet's death in the perspective of the flower of womanhood. Furthermore, ITS A PLAY YOU FAGGOTS

Did I sum up your argument correctly?

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 10, 2015

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Shut the gently caress up and post more awesome screenshots of kickass murdercars and explosions you nerds.

Level 4 V8 is amazing. DOUBLE SUPERCHARGERS. Because damnit the Opus needs as much boost as humanly possible.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
I've had it up to here with the requirements to get the Side Burners.

What the gently caress do I have to do to get them? I finished the story mission for Deep Friah, and I have the requirement "Clear Threat: Balefire Flatland Region".

Does this mean I have to literally zero out the threat in Jeet's entire zone? Because I think I've destroyed everything that needs destroying in the Balefire Flatlands in specific.

e: The last minefield I needed wasn't marked on the map. Good dog! :woof:

KlavoHunter fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 10, 2015

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

KlavoHunter posted:

Does this mean I have to literally zero out the threat in Jeet's entire zone? Because I think I've destroyed everything that needs destroying in the Balefire Flatlands in specific.

Means you need *everything* in the Balefire Flatlands specifically. Including two minefields.
Mouse over the region in the map to see what you haven't done.

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

We were all delighted, we all realized we were leaving confusion and nonsense behind and performing our one noble function of the time, move.
Basically zero threat out in all of Jeet's territories, all of Pink Eye's territories, complete the story missions and do all the blue side-missions and you should be set for anything worthwhile. Everything else is just getting 100%. I've done nearly everything but can't be bothered to complete all the races or collect each of the cars although I have most of them at this point. There were a couple of spots that I said gently caress it and didn't get all the "collect scrap" reward portions because gently caress running around in the underdune or wherever looking for my 10/10 on a 2 scrap drop. I enjoyed the game pretty thoroughly. I thought the opening cinematics were really lame and groan worthy but was happy with the progression of the story. Just wish there was a little more wideness to the potential quests and stuff you can do. The open world elements are cool but once the game isn't sort of guiding me into things it's hard to get really interested into going to Gutgash's 4th zone to kill the third mine in his second mine field or visit scrap hole under a boat number 58. It was nice that some of the random scrap areas had secret cars and occasional things that rewarded you exploring so much.

As far as the plot goes I think they did about as good of a job as you can within a game setting such as this. I wasn't expecting some earth-shattering ending or anything like that. I sort of liked the ending, as depressing as it was. I feel like Glory could be interpreted as the child in Fury Road and there's even a flash of this really old black dude that he didn't protect in the movie that could be Glory's protector you find out in the dunes. I think the beauty of the whole Mad Max story throughout the movies is that it's intentionally left rather vague. If everything was spelled out to a detail and really explored in depth it would ruin some of the mystique that your own mind can create. Not to mention it would detract from the spectacle that you're watching. Ultimately it's about good action in a good setting with just enough flavor and backdrop to give a clearer picture. Was sad to see Chumbucket go, poor little guy had a hard road. Final fight was lame, top dogs were lame, combat system was too easy, minefields were really annoying - but these are pretty small gripes in comparison to the rest of the game.

Tape Leg fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 10, 2015

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
60 seconds of using the sideburners takes a full tank. It's not cool. However, unlocking them did make me start to scavenge for fuel again after I unlocked the stronghold fuel tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

captain innocuous posted:

60 seconds of using the sideburners takes a full tank. It's not cool. However, unlocking them did make me start to scavenge for fuel again after I unlocked the stronghold fuel tanks.

60 seconds?

Try like 10 when you get the third version of it.

• Locked thread