Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

SMN at 60 is good and fun to play, don't let the horrors of playing it prior to Painflare/Tridisaster/Deathflare sully you on it! However...

Fister Roboto posted:

Get used to seeing your character start to do the Akh Morn animation and then suddenly stop because you were a half second late on it.

this is the worst :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I already have BLM 60 so that's a familiar pain.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Get used to seeing your character start to do the Akh Morn animation and then suddenly stop because you were a half second late on it.

Or you can do it early for a loss of 132 potency.

Which I suppose actually matters in A4S. :/

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So does it matter what DoW/DoM class you give your retainer?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

SirPhoebos posted:

They can't be higher levelled than you, so make them class (es) that you have at 60.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The summoner in my static told me that it's all about edging.

SirPhoebos posted:

Your retainer's level cap is determined by your level in that class, but beyond that it doesn't matter. Well, I guess the gear you have available for it matters as well.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Tbh as a relative MMO newbie I find two whole Monk cluttered hotbar rows to be annoying especially with all the garish similar button colors, I'd welcome a rudimentary combo system but if this is how they want the game to be then fine

We all know I don't use half that poo poo anyway

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

My solution to losing Deathflare is just use instant-casts like Ruin 2 / Fester / Painflare when Dreadwyrm's at 2-3s then queue up Deathflare. It's not ideal but I just want to make sure I always do Orbital Dragon Lasers at every opportunity.

Also make your Dow/m retainers the classes you intend to level and gear up. Hand-me-downs make it easy to gear them up. Their maximum level for a class is YourCurrentLevel - 5 until 50 where it suddenly becomes equal to yours. HQ or stat gear doesn't matter either*, just ilevel. Feel free to load up your tank retainer with all the piety right side you want!

*not true for gathering retainers afaik, to be clear. I don't know the details though

e: Also retainers are classes only, retainers can't become job-only jobs like Dark Knight and they can't equip job-exclusive gear like AF gear or relics.

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 9, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Scrublord Prime posted:

e: Also retainers are classes only, retainers can't become job-only jobs like Dark Knight and they can't equip job-exclusive gear like AF gear or relics.

Also note that this includes scholars, not just the HW jobs.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

The current combo system in FFXIV could be condensed to about four or five buttons (including on-GCD non-combo weaponskills and allowing for a "cancel combo" button) and if the API ever comes out and allows for it that's going the be the first thing I do with it.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Kitfox88 posted:

if i needed to see anything other than oppressors rear end to make sure it's not tethered i'd be something other than a tank

fite me taresh

its ok bby i knew you were a scrub

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Scrublord Prime posted:

Also make your Dow/m retainers the classes you intend to level and gear up. Hand-me-downs make it easy to gear them up. Their maximum level for a class is YourCurrentLevel - 5 until 50 where it suddenly becomes equal to yours. HQ or stat gear doesn't matter either*, just ilevel. Feel free to load up your tank retainer with all the piety right side you want!

*not true for gathering retainers afaik, to be clear. I don't know the details though

Perception factors in to DoL retainers as far as bringing back HQ materials; otherwise you have Gathering breakpoints to hit instead of strict ilvl breakpoints like on DoM/DoW retainers. DoM/DoW retainers also don't seem to care whether the gear you give them is even relevant to their class, so you don't need to actually give tank gear to a marauder/gladiator. The item level is the only thing that actually appears to matter.

Edit: Their class still has to be able to equip it, but it means you can give them whatever spare accessories you have sitting around instead of farming up fending drops or whatnot.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Prop Wash posted:

Tbh as a relative MMO newbie I find two whole Monk cluttered hotbar rows to be annoying especially with all the garish similar button colors, I'd welcome a rudimentary combo system but if this is how they want the game to be then fine

Unfortunately given the typical Perfect Balance opener, and because you probably don't want Rockbreaker as your default combo. a monk would still want all three combo enders on the hotbar so an auto combo button would help less than it would for other jobs.

Occasionally needing to weave skills together differently to keep everything active means that just setting it to Bootshine > True Strike > Snap Punch and then removing the latter two from your hotbar would work, for some level ranges, but in that dreaded "sub-optimal" way.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 9, 2015

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Monk doesn't even work on a combo system anyways, so while the Aion solution is elegant for other melee classes, it wouldn't work for monk.

My ideal solution, personally is something like:

Pressing Butcher's Block with no combo makes you do heavy swing. If you press it while under the heavy swing combo, it does skull sunder instead. If you press Butcher's Block -> Storm's Eye, it will do Heavy Swing -> Maim.

Ideally, figuring out exactly which move you get would also be server-side so lag doesn't gently caress you over too bad.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Niton posted:

They can't be higher levelled than you, so make them class (es) that you have at 60.

No, make it your main class, because when you have to level them again in the next expansion, they'll keep pace and gather poo poo for you instead of having to wait for you to finish levelling your main, before going back and levelling your alt. My mistake was having a LNC DoW retainer and a WAR main.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Prop Wash posted:

Sort of true. I have a layout that may help. All my opo-opo skills go on 1 (alt+ 1, ctrl +1), all my raptor skills go on 2 (alt, ctrl) and all my Coeurl skills go on 3. All the skills that gain from hitting from the back are un-modified, all the skills that gain from hitting from the side are on alt, and the other crap's on ctrl.

From there, it becomes just a steady 1-2-3 repetition, not even looking at the icons outside of checking cooldown CDs.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

cheetah7071 posted:

Monk doesn't even work on a combo system anyways, so while the Aion solution is elegant for other melee classes, it wouldn't work for monk.

Pressing Butcher's Block with no combo makes you do heavy swing. If you press it while under the heavy swing combo, it does skull sunder instead. If you press Butcher's Block -> Storm's Eye, it will do Heavy Swing -> Maim.

Ideally, figuring out exactly which move you get would also be server-side so lag doesn't gently caress you over too bad.

That sounds like a massive increase in server load if they're having to check each input for one of three possible conditions instantly. There's no way such a system wouldn't cause lag.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Boten Anna posted:

Edit: To be clear also I don't know EXACTLY how Aion's works because I haven't really played it, so I'm processing this in a way that would make sense for XIV and not really thinking or caring about how the nitty gritty is implemented in Aion.

Aion's combo/chain system and how you tweak it is pretty much a super-dumb user-friendly macro system with full integration into the game. While I think it could be implemented in XIV they'd have to rework the existing macro system and there would be some crazy weirdness for some classes, such as MCH and MNK.

I wouldn't be surprised if they've got system devs working on it or a solution like it now.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

The Aion solution would work fine, actually. Three buttons which change what they are depending on what form you're in. If you're in opo or no form, it's Bootshine, Dragon Kick, Arm of the Destroyer. Second stance it's True Strike, Twin Snakes, One Ilm Punch. Third form would be Snap Punch, Demolish, Rock Breaker. The only snag in the works is Perfect Balance, but if this is a mod that can be made then you could just have an option to pick what moves the buttons display while perfect balance is active. I think most sensible PB strategies use at most four different weaponskills, so having four buttons would be fine (and when PB is down it can be your ToD button or whatever).

There's no reason for a system like this to be server side, since that would probably induce lag more than avoid it (and cause server stress). You'd just need the client to keep track of the order buttons are being (successfully) pressed in.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Aion's combo/chain system and how you tweak it is pretty much a super-dumb user-friendly macro system with full integration into the game. While I think it could be implemented in XIV they'd have to rework the existing macro system and there would be some crazy weirdness for some classes, such as MCH and MNK.

I wouldn't be surprised if they've got system devs working on it or a solution like it now.

I think MCH would just have to deal with the current way of doing things since they have a not-always-linear, proc based combo system and not a regular one.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Oxyclean posted:

Being someone who tries to have everything keybound: Honestly I'm already dreading getting my 50-60 BLM abilities.

As far as keybinds go, it's not that bad. I've got Q,E,R & 1-5 as mine and that's pretty much your entire rotation. Although when you hit 60 as a BLM, you'll come to hate Neverreap with a passion. gently caress that dungeon.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Weirdly I have like a bunch of holes on my MNK bars (at least at 50) and have like no problems with keybinds for it. Getting the feel down for position/buttonpress is kind of nice and I don't know that I'd like one button combos, though maybe 4 buttons that have the various form moves as you change forms would be nice?

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

drat, why are the quests for ROG/NIN so good? I just finished the level 60 one and it was fantastic. The player's entrance in the cutscene and the battle itself were really well done. Rosalinde's entrance midfight was over the top.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
On chocobo raising: should I worry much about him when I'm lvl 38? Or just keep him out and strengthen him that way?

Also, anything besides gyshal greens to summon with, or krakka roots to feed for training?

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Technically you can summon the choco with a gysahl and THEN feed him other foods. If you feed them that type of food in the stable on the regular, it becomes their favorite and they get an enhanced buff when fed that food out in the field.

Of special note is the curiel root for extra xp (I think it's 5% -> 15%?).

EDIT: Here, I shall copy paste a semi-helpful table (semi because it doesn't list actual % increases):
code:
Food		Normal Effect			Favorite Effect
Curiel Root 	Companion EXP Up 		Companion EXP Up II
Sylkis Bud 	Companion Attack Up 		Companion Attack Up II
Mimett Gourd 	Companion Healing Potency Up 	Companion Healing Potency Up II
Tantalplant 	Companion Maximum HP Up 	Companion Maximum HP Up II
Pahsana Fruit 	Companion Enmity Up 		Companion Enmity Up II

Kaedric fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 10, 2015

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

The thing is that once your chocobo gets to level 5 or 6 the vast majority of the XP they get is going to be from your challenges, which are a flat 5% and 10% (so 15% total) no matter what. So nothing really matters besides that.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Chocobo's match your level. They need XP for ranks which get them perks and abilities.

Also Choco Tanks are bad to start out with (because they really need the abilities & stats) while Healers and DPS are pretty fire and forget in their role.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Can't believe I've just paid £12 to transfer to Excalibur. You goons had better be worth it.

edit: Excalibur is so busy! I'm overwhelmed and scared! :ohdear:

Solefald fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Sep 10, 2015

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Goon houses are basically their own town in and of themselves.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Kaedric posted:

Technically you can summon the choco with a gysahl and THEN feed him other foods. If you feed them that type of food in the stable on the regular, it becomes their favorite and they get an enhanced buff when fed that food out in the field.

Of special note is the curiel root for extra xp (I think it's 5% -> 15%?).

EDIT: Here, I shall copy paste a semi-helpful table (semi because it doesn't list actual % increases):
code:
Food		Normal Effect			Favorite Effect
Curiel Root 	Companion EXP Up 		Companion EXP Up II
Sylkis Bud 	Companion Attack Up 		Companion Attack Up II
Mimett Gourd 	Companion Healing Potency Up 	Companion Healing Potency Up II
Tantalplant 	Companion Maximum HP Up 	Companion Maximum HP Up II
Pahsana Fruit 	Companion Enmity Up 		Companion Enmity Up II

these are never worth it because they're far more expensive than gyshals since they're exclusively crossbreeding in the garden and that's a whole other stupid kettle of fish

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007
I really wish Wheeling Thrust and Fang & Claw weren't random and instead tied to one of the two combos. It's just frustrating having to reposition yourself because of rng.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

seizure later posted:

I really wish Wheeling Thrust and Fang & Claw weren't random and instead tied to one of the two combos. It's just frustrating having to reposition yourself because of rng.

Basically you want to stand right on the edge of the rear/flank position so you can quickly move to either spot. If you're lagging it really sucks, but as long as your latency isn't too bad you can see which one you need to hit in plenty of time to get there.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
So I've read the OP and got myself a free trial. I've tried to read back in the thread to see if this has been answered but most of the talk is high-level stuff that right now makes absolutely no sense to me.

What I want to know is if I create a character leading to a Dragoon will I spend loads of time sat about because I'm DPS? I'm fine to be a tank - I'd be a Paladin - if that means I'd get to run dungeons more.

I don't care about raiding at all so it's only when it comes to grouping.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Healers and tanks get near instant queue times and its easier to run through the game as one of them because the game has you go through instances and special boss duties to go through the story. You could just wait for the queues to pop up if you dont mind spending 15 to 30 minutes waiting in line to do it, or you could do them in the morning since dps tend to be needed during non peak hours. Or run fates, do hunting logs, spend time in gold saucer, fish, or play cards, whatever.

Still as a tank or healer your personal contributions can help steer dungeons more than as a dps at least until the mid thirties. And youll still be doing roughly the same amount as damage as a dps while questing because you dont have to worry as much about your health or positions

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It's also worth noting that 'waiting in line' doesn't mean you're just stuck doing nothing. Yes, people sometimes bitch about long queues, but on excal it's usually just in the 5~15m range, and the timer just ticks away in the background - you're free to continue other quests, farming, gathering, crafting, exploring, market board selling, etc. You can even switch classes while waiting in the queue as a different one, you just need to switch back to the original one once the timer says your instance is ready

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I will continue being an awesome paladin. I will continue to be better than dark knights and warriors at my role. Your "popular opinions" about the state of the game can continue to be what they are. Both popular and opinions. Just remember, just because something is widely accepted doesn't mean it's right. Is the world still flat? Is Justin Beiber music good? My sword cuts through your fads and my shield blocks their influence. I am a rock, and though surrounded by a veritable sea of idiocy, I shall stand, the lone island, the safe haven, sheltering those who would choose the desolate isolation of intelligence rather than be dragged down and succumb to the loud, crashing waves of the ocean of mediocrity you call strength warriors and derp knights.

Good day sir.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Technogeek posted:

I will continue being an awesome paladin. I will continue to be better than dark knights and warriors at my role. Your "popular opinions" about the state of the game can continue to be what they are. Both popular and opinions. Just remember, just because something is widely accepted doesn't mean it's right. Is the world still flat? Is Justin Beiber music good? My sword cuts through your fads and my shield blocks their influence. I am a rock, and though surrounded by a veritable sea of idiocy, I shall stand, the lone island, the safe haven, sheltering those who would choose the desolate isolation of intelligence rather than be dragged down and succumb to the loud, crashing waves of the ocean of mediocrity you call strength warriors and derp knights.

Good day sir.

:agreed:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Is Technogeek implying that Paladins are rubbish?

The thing is I'm going to usually be playing between 9am and 5pm BST so I don't really know if that counts as primetime, does that mean I should expect big queues?

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Taear posted:

Is Technogeek implying that Paladins are rubbish?

The thing is I'm going to usually be playing between 9am and 5pm BST so I don't really know if that counts as primetime, does that mean I should expect big queues?

No, I'm quoting this all-star because posting quotes from the official forums for mockery purposes is sort of a thing I do.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I shall raise my Shield Oath, and Flash the enemies of rationality. If you would Cure me, you shall find respite behind my Bulwark. If you would target the enemy marked "3" while the one marked "2" yet lives, then you will not be blessed by my Cover for you are clearly a dork knight, if not in name then at least in deed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
ARR right now is more like other no brain MMO game. Movement, storyline, battle style, feels very cold and soulless. I played ARR for 2 months and to be honest i feel 0 interest in knowing the storyline because all NPC have no soul, they are just a computer graphic model.

The new battle system, it is much faster now, but this is not final fantasy, this is a no brain online game. keep on press the action button, "bang" "bang" "bang" "bang", huh? all attack are special attack? why the character can't punch or brandish normally? in which final fantasy game, your character only do special attack but no normal punching?

so now every "adventurer" are so drat powerful like god? FF14 is the most unrealistic final fantasy of all time.

Storyline doesn't matter, element doesn't matter, culture doesn't matter, battle doesn't matter. I really think FF14 should not count as one of the final fantasy game.

• Locked thread