Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Conservatives also hate it because Exceptional America is King poo poo of Turd Mountain, and any kind of concession or compromise on our part is nothing more than a sign that spineless, gutless, freedom-haters are in charge. (This is also the GOP-led Congress' strategy for dealing with Obama).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
Hot take coming through:

http://thewilderness.me/the-boy-on-the-beach/

quote:

Flash back to 2011, and far as presidencies are concerned, it feels like a millennium ago. Barack Obama was basking in the fullness of the Arab Spring, posing as the personal midwife to a New Birth of Freedom as he polished his Peace Prize in front of the world. Truly this was a man who could not lose: it seemed like all he had to do was demand some former ally steeped in domestic conflict bow to his diplomatic omnipotence and boom: Instant Democracy. The media tactfully aided Obama by moving on from covering these international hotspots almost immediately after President Santa had finished gifting them with new regimes, so we wouldn’t have to trouble ourselves with any messy details about their aftermaths (until Ambassador Stevens found himself in the wrong place at the wrong time a year later, that is). The afterglow was unfaded. Barack Obama was still the fresh-faced President Hope and Change. Oprah was still crying. But as it all fell to pieces, Obama received a brutal education in the truth that community organizing on the South Side of Chicago is light years away from an attempt to community organize the Middle East.

Which brings us to Bashar al-Assad, of course.

[...]

That’s always been this President’s problem: his complete inability to deal with the world at hand, as it exists right in front of his face. When the world forces Barack Obama off his script, he simply retreats to a golf course, ESPN, or most recently the remote wilds of Alaska.

Nowhere was this more evident than when his habit of diplomatic detachment inconveniently washed up on the shores of the Greek island of Kos last week when a boat carrying Syrian refugees capsized. While President Jor-El embarked on a magical mystery end-of-summer climate cruise to call attention to Alaskan glacier-melt in summer, the world was suddenly captivated by the lifeless body of Aylan Kurdi lying face down in front of rescue workers.

[...]

While Obama was posing for glorious-leader-make-wonderful-country photos in front of mountains, John Kerry, in one of many ongoing reminders of just how right this country got it in 2004, used the occasion not to address this very real catastrophe splashed all over social media and newspapers, but to hedge it against an imaginary possible future migrant crisis due to global warming. Addressing the world as it exists now means confronting more photos of his dinner-date with Bashar al-Assad (“a real reformer” – Hillary Clinton, 2011) and excusing away the faulty campaign promises of a President content to give Iraq up to Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. It wasn’t climate change that caused refugees, including Aylan Kurdi and several others, to wash up on a Turkish beach. The message is clear — Obama and his State Department are not going to be shaken off their climate paranoia narrative. When Obama vehemently denied he ever called for a red line of action in Syria, he blamed “The world” and he’s content to let “the world” handle it now in any attempt to repudiate any further responsibility. What do 300,000 refugees and the whole of Europe matter when there is a glacier in the Arctic that needs staring at.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

StandardVC10 posted:

3. Little old lady from

Go granny, go granny, go granny go!

ZobarStyl posted:

That's the quintessential issue with having campaigns start earlier and earlier each cycle: there's not actually anywhere else Ted Cruz is needed (or frankly wanted) that would be newsworthy. Getting a photo opp in with Davis might have at least bumped him out of the polling dead zone, but now he'll have say something extra hateful to break into the wall to wall Trump coverage.

The thing that amuses me the most was how quickly the interest in Cruz burned out. It was practically overnight. He went from "gently caress ALL OF YOU I'M GOING TO BE THE NEXT PRESIDENT EVEN IF I HAVE TO EAT A BABY TO DO IT!" He polled well for a while but then everybody lost interest when it became apparent that he was alienating literally everybody bit by bit, had no loving clue how politics actually works, and was perfectly willing to burn the entire country down if he didn't get his way. He seriously acts like a toddler and now only a few die hards are sticking to him. Mostly it's just "let's just pretend this never happened, OK?"

Yet Cruz is still assuming he's going to be the next president. It's obvious that he very desperately wants it for no reason other than to stroke his own ego.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I caught that and also where a caller was complaining that she couldn't talk to her Democrat friends about the Iran deal because "they'd already made up their minds to agree with Obama just because they're Democrats." Which I'm sure was totally different from her completely nuanced views that surely weren't just regurgitated AM radio paraphrasings.

Levin told her to avoid fanatics and zealots because you can't reason with them. Then I rammed my car into a road divider, killing myself instantly.
Yeah, this was around the time I was talking about. He also chided and cut off a male caller for asking his opinion on something another right-wing radio host said about gays ("Call and ask her yourself, I don't care about some schmuck and their 15 listeners"), and shortly after he started flat out yelling at a lady who called in for taking to long to tell her story about meeting a Democratic lawyer at a gathering ("GET TO THE POINT! GOD! WE KNOW DEMOCRATS SUCK! YOU DON'T HAVE TO WASTE MY TIME!")

It's really hilarious how openly hostile he is to his callers but they're so desperate and brain-dead they keep calling in seeking validation.

Spite posted:

I've yet to hear anyone give actual specifics of why the Iran deal is so bad. So far I've heard "It OBVIOUSLY is! Can't you see it?!?" and either something about sanctions or if we really have to, invading.
If you believe Hannity (who will helpfully repeat his same speeches every time he touches on a subject), the problem is that it's merely a postponement. We're handing them trillions of dollars as a bribe so they can keep enriching uranium and spinning centrifuges so that as soon as the deal ends they'll have a nuclear bomb, which they'll immediately attach to ICBMs and nuke Israel and America. UN inspections will be announced and the UN is a bunch of ineffectual pussies anyway so the Iranians will just hide the evidence and continue after they leave. It makes a whole lot of sense as long as you accept the story he's telling and sincerely believe all middle eastern people are bloodthirsty terrorists.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

What the Christ am I looking at. It says counter culture but reads like a description of George Bush the second's presidency. I seriously am having trouble separating satire from serious articles these days. :fuckthis:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

nm

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Satire shouldn't be posted in a thread about a movement literally beyond satire. We're the satirists, let others get a tv show if they want to be bigger poo poo than goons.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yet Cruz is still assuming he's going to be the next president. It's obvious that he very desperately wants it for no reason other than to stroke his own ego.

I really want him to lose his license to practice in front of the Supreme Court for advocating that their judgments are not the law of the land.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm super into Cruz realizing he's completely hosed his master plan up.

Cruz' entire life goal here was to ride the teabagger wave into senate, do some grandstanding and whip his base up, then run for president. It was a hilarious plan because hey gently caress those bridges you burn on the way up, you're the boss now.

Now it's even worse, though, when it's become crystal clear he's not even the teaparty choice for this, and he's just sadly watching other crazies do their thing as he realizes he has no friends left.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I'm super into Cruz realizing he's completely hosed his master plan up.

Cruz' entire life goal here was to ride the teabagger wave into senate, do some grandstanding and whip his base up, then run for president. It was a hilarious plan because hey gently caress those bridges you burn on the way up, you're the boss now.

Now it's even worse, though, when it's become crystal clear he's not even the teaparty choice for this, and he's just sadly watching other crazies do their thing as he realizes he has no friends left.

He internalized the narrative that the tea party is all powerful without realizing how thoroughly Obama and even his own party shut them down. Hard.

They can win primaries and state lege's but they have no clout without national victories beyond being mentioned in the news at all.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
For effect here is the personification of the end of Ted Cruz's bid.
(in case anyone missed it from Primary thread)

Montasque posted:

Video of Ted Cruz being blocked at Kim Davis Rally:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgHgQ-ippPA

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 9, 2015

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Nonsense posted:

He internalized the narrative that the tea party is all powerful without realizing how thoroughly Obama and even his own party shut them down. Hard.

They can win primaries and state lege's but they have no clout without national victories beyond being mentioned in the news at all.

Not only that but he branded himself as a young rising star, an amazing newcomer underdog that was going to remake Washington, even if he killed it in the process, by sheer force of will.

Forgetting silly concepts like "votes" and "democracy." It turned out that it's kind of hard to get several hundred people to agree to "do whatever Ted Cruz wants or burn the whole thing down." This is especially true when "what Ted Cruz wants" is a bunch of stuff that the Democrats would probably never vote for, ever, and the rest of the GOP likes the machine as it is but would like it to kindly turn off for a while until a white guy Republican is in the White House. Say what you will about McConnell and Company but at least they aren't deliberately destroying the system they're just kind of putting it in a medically induced coma for a while.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

For his entire life people have been telling Cruz he's the smartest guy in the room and when he gets to the big leagues he doesn't realize everyone there doesn't give a poo poo about his college debate record or Ivy League exclusive study group.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Radish posted:

For his entire life people have been telling Cruz he's the smartest guy in the room and when he gets to the big leagues he doesn't realize everyone there doesn't give a poo poo about his college debate record.

He's the result of one of those dark enlightenment/no-reactionary types escaping into serious politics then? :v:

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

Klaus88 posted:

What the Christ am I looking at. It says counter culture but reads like a description of George Bush the second's presidency. I seriously am having trouble separating satire from serious articles these days. :fuckthis:

it isn't satire. it's some massive #tcot shithead's website.

http://thewilderness.me/youth-revolt/

quote:

YOUTH REVOLT: The Rise of the Counterculture Conservative

Rebellion is not controlled by political parties. It’s built in human nature. The natural urge to push back against ‘authoritah’. The problem for someone like Barack Obama in the arena of political governance in accepting the cultural standard bearing of what cool and relevant is, ultimately he is going to have to come to terms with the same rules of cultural fads as anyone else like movie stars or pop singers.

People will move on. Fads will die.

This explains this recent past ongoing progressive obsession with JFK on the heels of Barack Obama’s failed Healthcare roll-out. He was never given a chance to become old, uncool or unwelcome. He never was really given a chance to betray the image he was elected on in the eyes of the people that elected him. JFK is the Democrat party’s Kurt Cobain.

Young people eventually grow out of and even ridicule pop stars they once had plastered on their bedroom walls, like a snake shedding its own skin and then eating it. That’s exactly the precipice Barack Obama and the Democrat party find themselves on right now.

They are the old poster on the wall.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The face of young conservatism is r/MRA and gamergaters and people who make a living toeing the line between what is and isn't rape and the like, and they're welcome to give them a national stage as the face of Republicanism as far as I am concerned. It'll be like a room full of Trump/legitimate rape guys except even louder

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Hazo posted:

If you believe Hannity (who will helpfully repeat his same speeches every time he touches on a subject), the problem is that it's merely a postponement. We're handing them trillions of dollars as a bribe so they can keep enriching uranium and spinning centrifuges so that as soon as the deal ends they'll have a nuclear bomb, which they'll immediately attach to ICBMs and nuke Israel and America. UN inspections will be announced and the UN is a bunch of ineffectual pussies anyway so the Iranians will just hide the evidence and continue after they leave. It makes a whole lot of sense as long as you accept the story he's telling and sincerely believe all middle eastern people are bloodthirsty terrorists.

Here's what I've heard:

- It is a deal with Iran and we should not deal with Iran.
  • They are terrorist supporters who say death to America.
  • Netanyahu said so.
  • Iranians are culturally predisposed to lying.
  • They are Muslim.

- The deal won't stop Iran from developing a nuclear bomb.
  • There is no penalty if they renege on the agreement.
  • The UN has a history of failing to find nukes.
  • The UN will go easy on Iran.
  • Look at how it worked with North Korea.
  • The deal gives Iran advance notice of inspections, enough time to hide a nuclear program.

- The deal is probably bad because Obama supports it.
  • He has a history of foreign policy failures.
  • Netanyahu doesn't like Obama.
  • Nothing this administration has ever done has been good for the country.

- The US shouldn't conduct multilateral diplomacy, because we are the world leader and should negotiate from a position of strength. No carrot, just a stick.

The nation of Iran is basically a cartoon villain, whose evil scheme is to develop a nuclear bomb and use it on the US and Israel. They'd never have agreed to the deal if it didn't help them do that.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

James Garfield posted:

The nation of Iran is basically a cartoon villain, whose evil scheme is to develop a nuclear bomb and use it on the US and Israel. They'd never have agreed to the deal if it didn't help them do that.

Insert BibiandhisBombDiagram.jpg here

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Surprise surprise, Huckabee's own educational materials directly contradict everything he has been saying about the SCOTUS since the Obergefell ruling came down.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Iran's belief that we will leave them entirely alone if they have nukes is 100% correct though. Given our history in the middle east they'd be idiots not to be rushing to develop one.

poo poo, just read the news and it's drat near a for-sure thing that if a Republican wins this election it means they're getting invaded if they so much as move a muscle. If they really wanted Israel dead so bad why not just hit every one of their major cities with a chemical agent that can be manufactured much easier and doesn't leave any scorched earth?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Epic High Five posted:

Iran's belief that we will leave them entirely alone if they have nukes is 100% correct though. Given our history in the middle east they'd be idiots not to be rushing to develop one.

poo poo, just read the news and it's drat near a for-sure thing that if a Republican wins this election it means they're getting invaded if they so much as move a muscle. If they really wanted Israel dead so bad why not just hit every one of their major cities with a chemical agent that can be manufactured much easier and doesn't leave any scorched earth?

But do they believe Israel wouldn't act unilaterally? Cause I mean, it's not like Mecca is in Iran if they felt like glassing the place...

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Epic High Five posted:

If memory serves, Iran left the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty about a month after Bush's "Axis of Evil" speach.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Keeshhound posted:

If memory serves, Iran left the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty about a month after Bush's "Axis of Evil" speach.

Yeah, this got pointed out by Fox News of all people, when Cheney was talking about how Iran spun up their centrifuges when Obama became president, only for Fox to point out it actually happened under their watch.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Imagine if Trump and Cruz ran together.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Imagine if Trump and Cruz ran together.

Cruz is done. Trump would never be caught dead with someone who looked as weak as he did in that Kim Davis video.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Jesus

quote:

Palin began by thanking the crowd for coming out in opposition to the deal, but then she thought of another group she wanted to thank.

“Oh, and you know, since our president won’t say it, since he still hasn’t called off the dogs, we’ll say,” Palin said. “Police officers and first responders all across this great land, we’ve got your back, we salute you! Thank you, police officers!”

http://www.mediaite.com/online/palin-calls-blacklivesmatter-protesters-dogs-at-anti-iran-deal-rally/

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

The face of young conservatism is r/MRA and gamergaters and people who make a living toeing the line between what is and isn't rape and the like, and they're welcome to give them a national stage as the face of Republicanism as far as I am concerned. It'll be like a room full of Trump/legitimate rape guys except even louder

Republicans attempted to convince themselves that they're rebelling against the machine will always be funny in the laughing at others immense delusions sort of way. :nallears:

Sarah Palin is a colossal bitch. There are very few women I would call a bitch but I definitely fell she has earned the term.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

I don't know where to start with that. Obama is black so I guess he speaks for all black people? Obama started #BlackLivesMatter? Unarmed citizens are no longer being killed by police for no reason?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

beatlegs posted:

Say, who's that sad li'l fella in the back corner?

https://twitter.com/Youxia88/status/641332425885360129

i want to go back to this photo for a moment. You're going to a rally where your wife is getting out of jail and you know that TV cameras, reporters and dozen's of photographers are going to be on hand to see Huckabee and Cruz and now your wife also and this is what you choose to wear?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Wow, so much happened today.

Glenn Beck talked about an email he received from Louis Gohmert, in which, according to Beck, Gohmert promised to not run for re-election if the Iran deal went through.

quote:

Beck read the email on air during his radio show.

"I just got an email from Louie Gohmert. He said, 'Last week, I announced to the world if the House and Senate will treat Iran — the Iran treaty as a treaty, I will not run for my congressional seat again. It’s the only thing that I have left that our leadership wants beside my integrity,'" Beck said.

President Obama's nuclear deal with Iran had been opposed by some GOPers and 2016 Republican presidential candidates. On Tuesday, it was announced that Obama had enough votes to prevent the Senate from passing a measure disapproving the deal.

"And after last week that I spent in Egypt, I feel so compelled to do absolutely everything I can to derail this president’s drastic move towards a nuclear Holocaust," Beck read. "I won’t run again if the House voted on my attached resolution and the Senate voted on ratification."

I can't find a copy of the actual email anywhere but I'd be interested in seeing what it actually contains because I can't imagine Gohmert toxxing himself over something he knows is going to pass.

Also, have a video of half-term Gov. Palin at the Iran Rally talking while a protester is being led away. At the end is her "fairy dust and unicorn " quote which is priceless. You have to scroll down in the article a bit to get to the video.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 9, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Thanks Obama :buddy:

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Magres posted:

Thanks Obama :buddy:

Sincerely!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

quote:

This afternoon, on my way to Alaska, I called Kathleen Goforth, the widow of Harris County Deputy Sheriff Darren Goforth - a veteran law enforcement officer who was contemptibly shot and killed over the weekend. On behalf of the American people, I offered Mrs. Goforth my condolences, and told her that Michelle and I would keep her and her family in our prayers. I also promised that I would continue to highlight the uncommon bravery that police officers show in our communities every single day. They put their lives on the line for our safety. Targeting police officers is completely unacceptable - an affront to civilized society. As I said in my State of the Union Address, we've got to be able to put ourselves in the shoes of the wife who won't rest until the police officer she married walks through the door at the end of his shift. That comfort has been taken from Mrs. Goforth. So we must offer her our comfort - and continue to stand up for the safety of police officers wherever they serve. (Mediaite, 8/31/15)

Go
gently caress
Yourself
Palin

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/12/barack-obama-statement-nypd-officers-killed-113724

Go die in a fire, Palin.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I always love the rights inability to understand nuance. You can say Black Lives Matter, and cops should stop gunning them down for looking at them funny, and also say its a shame and a tragedy when a policeman is killing the line of duty.

Nope, to idiots like Palin, if you say Black Lives Matter, it means that white people's lives don't matter and you want to kill all cops.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I have to say, Trump really is the gift that never stops giving. Watching Jonah Goldberg being eaten alive by commenters at NRO for failing to embrace the Trumpvolution is a feast. And it seems that even human wasteland Mark Steyn is also catching flak and being called politically correct (the direst of insults!) by former fans for not getting on with the pogrom.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

radical meme posted:

i want to go back to this photo for a moment. You're going to a rally where your wife is getting out of jail and you know that TV cameras, reporters and dozen's of photographers are going to be on hand to see Huckabee and Cruz and now your wife also and this is what you choose to wear?

It's totemic. He's wearing it to show he's a good, humble, christian white guy from the Real America. Not some communist metrosexual from the big city. He knows exactly what he looks like and that's why he's wearing it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

twistedmentat posted:

I always love the rights inability to understand nuance. You can say Black Lives Matter, and cops should stop gunning them down for looking at them funny, and also say its a shame and a tragedy when a policeman is killing the line of duty.

Nope, to idiots like Palin, if you say Black Lives Matter, it means that white people's lives don't matter and you want to kill all cops.

What if I think white lives matter, but I also want to kill all cops?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Klaus88 posted:

Republicans attempted to convince themselves that they're rebelling against the machine will always be funny in the laughing at others immense delusions sort of way. :nallears:

Sarah Palin is a colossal bitch. There are very few women I would call a bitch but I definitely fell she has earned the term.

I don't understand why you would, though.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Chantilly Say posted:

I don't understand why you would, though.

Do you mean I shouldn't call Palin names or I shouldn't use gendered insults against her?

If its the later- you're right and I'm sorry about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Klaus88 posted:

Do you mean I shouldn't call Palin names or I shouldn't use gendered insults against her?

If its the later- you're right and I'm sorry about that.

Palin's a oval office.