Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I came into the keynote late. There's no revision to the standard ipad? Just the ipad pro and a new mini?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

smackfu posted:

The other weird thing about the upgrade program:

It would make no sense to keep it for 24 months, since you would pay more than the cost of the phone.
It looks like you end up paying $25 more than the cost of the phone plus Applecare+, so you're paying a bit of interest, really. I'm curious to see if they do it like the carriers, in that you pay sales tax on the FULL price of the phone up front. If not, it probably comes out even or even better to use this.

And oh wow, they're raising the Applecare+ deductible again to $99 per incident.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I came into the keynote late. There's no revision to the standard ipad? Just the ipad pro and a new mini?

yup

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

smackfu posted:

It's a $650 16 GB iPhone 6S for $32.41 a month. After 24 months you will pay $777.84.

AT&T will sell you the same exact phone for $32.50 and it will be paid off after 18 months, for a total of $650.

That's the part that doesn't make sense to me.

Oh I see what you're saying now. Yeah I believe it's the Apple Care that makes the difference. But even still ~$125 more with the option to upgrade after 1 year is still worth it to me to do their payment plan (where I only pay $20/month right now on Cricket).

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

And oh wow, they're raising the Applecare+ deductible again to $99 per incident.

Oh. That's the same as my deductible with AT&T's insurance.

Unless I plan on upgrading every year then, I'll stick with AT&T's installment plan.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Wireless charging is poo poo though

Perhaps the wrongest thing said in the thread, and Three Olives has even posted in the thread!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
The thing that has me worried about the upgrade program is this little bit:

quote:

The iPhone Upgrade Program is available to qualified customers only with a valid U.S. personal credit card. Requires a 24-month installment loan with Citizens Bank, N.A. and iPhone activation with a national carrier — AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, or Verizon.

No mention of Unlocked devices?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

OK now it makes sense, Apple isn't doing this, the phones are financed through "Citzens One Personal Loans" (Never heard of them), so you are getting a loan for the full amount at presumably zero interest with them making the difference back on the depreciated value of the trade in phone.

Which means that you are taking out a loan on your personal credit as an installment payment. When I financed through AT&T it never even hit my credit report, the carriers are financing through their existing history and contract with them. I mean not that that really matters but generally people don't like to open up credit accounts without good reason, if you are doing that why not just raise the credit limit on your credit card?

I wonder what the ultimate breakdown would look like with just buying the phone outright on your credit card, getting the cash-back and any extended warranty/buyer protection with 12 months APR and the higher private party sale to pay off the remaining balance after a year. I'm guessing it is close if not the same.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

I bet there will be wireless charging in the 7, and it will be "revolutionary"

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Vintimus Prime posted:

Anyone here getting any of the new products shown?

I'm more than likely getting the new Apple TV and the 6s+

The new AppleTV is a must buy.

However, I noticed on the AppleTV page that, since the remote can be used like a Nintendo Wiimote, it can utilize a wrist strap...for an unspecified additional cost.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I assume they're working on a "still our property for 24 months, but we don't mind you selling on as long as you don't stop paying us" model: basically, financing with bells and whistles.

My carrier (O2) pretty much does this already :v:.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Wireless charging is fantastic.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

Vintimus Prime posted:

It will be the most advanced wireless charging any iPhone has ever had

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
Hopefully getting a new ATV. Our ATV2 crashes like 3-4 times a night

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
Eh. The Apple TV will come with a lightning to use cable. If you need one that's a you are saving a tenner when buying.

Now. I know it will go beyond the tv and with Bluetooth that not even causing reception issues.

But to me making it taller makes it ugly versus the previous one.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Vintimus Prime posted:

Not as long as the phone shell is metal

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!

MickRaider posted:

Hopefully getting a new ATV. Our ATV2 crashes like 3-4 times a night

Sell you atv2 to the jail breakers. They are still paying good money for those.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

The upgrade program definitely seems like a great deal. But I swear to god if there's still only 1GB of RAM I will pass on the 6s Plus. I hate restarting apps.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

just_a_guy posted:

But to me making it taller makes it ugly versus the previous one.

Why would this even bother you? Do sit staring at the tiny component next to the massive TV and wonder "god its just too big!"??

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Lblitzer posted:

The thing that has me worried about the upgrade program is this little bit:

No mention of Unlocked devices?

How did you get all the way to the fine print at the bottom without seeing the "Unlocked" in large print in section 2?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I noticed they failed to mention any sort of software update for the existing Apple TV. I hope it'll at least get that fancy new interface, even if they exclude the extra stuff like Siri (obviously) and the App Store.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Well at least pre orders will be on my birthday so I'll be awake. It's odd though they are doing it on Saturday and not Friday like in the past

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Wait, do you own the phone once it's paid off or does Apple?

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

just_a_guy posted:

Sell you atv2 to the jail breakers. They are still paying good money for those.

It's on os 6.something :(

We had it jailbroken but it kept loving up so we thought "hey let's update"

stupid

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Looks like they 6S plus still only gets landscape mode

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Vintimus Prime posted:

Looks like they 6S plus still only gets landscape mode

What?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Choadmaster posted:

How did you get all the way to the fine print at the bottom without seeing the "Unlocked" in large print in section 2?

I was reading The Verge and came across this page: http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-iphone/iphone6s

It says you can Pay in Full or use whatever carrier's payment plan. It doesn't say anything about buying an unlocked phone through the payment plan.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Why would this even bother you? Do sit staring at the tiny component next to the massive TV and wonder "god its just too big!"??

It's just an aesthetic niggle. Not a deal breaker. And like I said it's going behind something.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

It's similar to the carrier financing options they have now. You're signing up to make 24 monthly payments on your phone at 0% interest. After the 24th payment you own the phone, however you have the option to trade it in for a new phone after the 12th payment. It differs from the carrier options as it includes apple care. Not a bad deal if you're the type that wants to upgrade every year and you don't have $800 laying around to spend on a phone.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Heh and I just paid off my unlocked iPhone I bought in March.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

The 6+ (and now the 6S+) support the home screen in landscape mode. The 6 and 6S do not.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

You do. It's a loan.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Mahoning posted:

The 6+ (and now the 6S+) support the home screen in landscape mode. The 6 and 6S do not.

Yea I was hoping maybe they would bring that option to the 6S but not this time.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
I see no mention of the 24 month payment plan ending because you swap to a new phone, nor of any trade-in value associated with upgrading your phone.

Year 1 is 12 payments on phone 1.
Year 2 is 12 payments on phone 2, 12 payments on phone 1.
Year 3 is 12 payments on phone 3, 12 payments on phone 2.

Right?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vintimus Prime posted:

Anyone here getting any of the new products shown?

I'm more than likely getting the new Apple TV and the 6s+

Apple TV, I really want the iPad Pro with that Pencil too but that isn't likely to ever happen. The Apple TV though is doable and its cheap.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

I see no mention of the 24 month payment plan ending because you swap to a new phone, nor of any trade-in value associated with upgrading your phone.

Right?

No, by trading in the phone you erase your next 12 months of payments. You hand in your phone, apple hands you a new one, you start over with a new set of 24 monthly payments.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Right?

Are you seriously asking this? Why would anybody do this if this is how it worked?

The trading in of the phone essentially "pays off" the first loan. Rinse, repeat.

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night
I just noticed that the new iPad mini is advertised as having an A8 processor, not the A8X. Not sure if it's worth upgrading from the Mini 2 if this means it didn't get the bump to 3 cores/2GB RAM.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

What does the TV looking button (next to Menu) on the Apple TV remote do?

Oh, it's Home. Intuitive.

It would have been really cool if the Apple TV charged the remote via inductive charging. Maybe next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I'm currently on a t mobile nerd plan with a iPhone 5s. I bought it outright, and it's unlocked. Am I right in noting that I can keep my nerd plan and just get a new phone for basically 40 bucks a month with the new apple plan? If so that's a super sick deal.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 9, 2015

• Locked thread