Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
I agree about the lurking and shitposting tbh, it's fun to joke around and be light-hearted during joke phase and throughout the games, but when you have a certain mix of players in a game sometimes it just turns into: lets lynch this guy, then this guy, then this guy with no real motive. Lurking is way worse though. I've had a cool idea for a game and have worked on it but have decided against pressing the submit button since I think my last like 4 games have been plagued by inactivity from half of the game.

You do have certain games that pop up and are really active which is cool though. I don't think I'm wrong to say games from a few years ago, content wise, were infinitely more fun to play in just because of the high level of activity and manipulation/effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Tremendous Taste posted:

culture the game you want but recognize that beyond the "haha we're all terrible" the majority of this community is seriously socially maladjusted and almost anyone can make games unpleasant for other players at the drop of a hat

speak for yourself

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
As I grow older, I see myself becoming Dragnix... what is happening.. I never asked for this fam....

But yeah, I mean there was a reason waar (rip!!) and Alasdair were unique because of the way they played mafia. I just viewed a few games and I'm not going to name names but there's quite a few people that will have a bunch of posts, none more than a sentence long. Just typing this alone is putting in more effort and took like 30 seconds. Maybe i'm nitpicking because lurkers are infinitely worse, but sometimes you have people that do both.

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 9, 2015

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Kumbamontu posted:

speak for yourself

I thought it would have been clear that I'm aware I can be unpleasant but again goons and subtext :shrug:

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Thinking back for a second: The best setup I ever played was Token Female's Presidents Mafia. It was an all Vanilla game with the quirk that four Vanilla Town players were in an unconfirmed masonry. The masonry freaked out so much and started backstabbing each other for no reason whatsoever.

What a great game. Let me try to find the link.

edit: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3025691

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

merk posted:

Thinking back for a second: The best setup I ever played was Token Female's Presidents Mafia. It was an all Vanilla game with the quirk that four Vanilla Town players were in an unconfirmed masonry. The masonry freaked out so much and started backstabbing each other for no reason whatsoever.

Given what you just said about the setup, I really enjoyed the Disclaimer in the OP

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Oh man, there was a backup cop with no real cop. :shobon:

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

merk posted:

it wasn't all-vanilla the mason team was 2 scum.

e: lol merk you're thinking of Presidents Mafia 2. you weren't even in this one.

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 9, 2015

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
That game was great. The pictures were one of the best things about it, but they are sadly lost to time.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

EccoRaven posted:

it wasn't all-vanilla the mason team was 2 scum.

e: lol merk you're thinking of Presidents Mafia 2. you weren't even in this one.

OH YEAH THAT ONE

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Chili games were always pretty fun for me.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Important votefinder work done thus far:

- in addition to all the other things votefinder says when somebody is hammered, votefinder now might say ":boom: PlayerName :boom:" or ":henget: Playername"

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I always got along with windshipper though.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

merk posted:

You smell.

That is my hot take.

Stabbed in the back! You are a cruel man, Merk!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

- in addition to all the other things votefinder says when somebody is hammered, votefinder now might say ":boom: PlayerName :boom:" or ":henget: Playername"

god's work.

rereading President Mafia made me happy.

ecco, in character as sad jimmy carter, or also ecco as of like literally last week almost word for word posted:

Ten minutes ago I had planned to speak to you again about a very important subject -- mafia. For the fifth time I would have described the urgency of the problem and laid out a series of legislative recommendations to the Congress. But as I was preparing to speak, I began to ask myself the same question that I now know has been troubling many of you. Why have we not been able to get together as a nation to resolve our serious mafia problem?

It's clear that the true problems of our Nation are much deeper -- deeper than OMGUS voting or mafia bussing, deeper even than votecounts or lurking. And I realize more than ever that as president I need your help. So I decided to reach out and listen to the voices of America.

[...]

I know, of course, being president, that power roles and actions can be very important. That's why I've worked hard to put my campaign promises into votes -- and I have to admit, with just mixed success. But after listening to the American people I have been reminded again that all the power roles in the world can't fix what's wrong with the Townies. So, I want to speak to you first tonight about a subject even more serious than mafia or serial killers. I want to talk to you right now about a fundamental threat to American democracy...

It is a crisis of confidence.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Deadbeat Dad posted:

I'm not going to name names but there's quite a few people that will have a bunch of posts, none more than a sentence long.

If I can say what I want to say in 4 words I am not going to fill in the rest of the post with elaborate prose in order to appease the masses. I really hated the old style of super effort case where every case might as well have been a doctoral thesis, I don't have the time or attention for that, and really that isn't how effective communication works.

People zone out after the first couple sentences, if you can't get your idea across in that time much of the communication will just be ignored or glossed over.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

JakeP posted:

If I can say what I want to say in 4 words I am not going to fill in the rest of the post with elaborate prose in order to appease the masses. I really hated the old style of super effort case where every case might as well have been a doctoral thesis, I don't have the time or attention for that, and really that isn't how effective communication works.

People zone out after the first couple sentences, if you can't get your idea across in that time much of the communication will just be ignored or glossed over.

I totally disagree but hey if that's your style then sure, just straight up saying nobody if the majority of the playerbase is doing the same thing then I think you're effectively not playing mafia anymore. Half of mafia is digesting actions from other players and since we're not in a room together we're just digesting words. I can't get anything out of "yeah hes scum lynch him" and "okay lets do this", no explanation votes, people that don't want to elaborate on their actions, etc. I'm not expecting anybody to be Dragnix and mega-case somebody, but it's good food for the mod to know that people are enjoying your game and participating on an active level with decent content.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Deadbeat Dad posted:

I totally disagree but hey if that's your style then sure, just straight up saying nobody if the majority of the playerbase is doing the same thing then I think you're effectively not playing mafia anymore. Half of mafia is digesting actions from other players and since we're not in a room together we're just digesting words. I can't get anything out of "yeah hes scum lynch him" and "okay lets do this", no explanation votes, people that don't want to elaborate on their actions, etc. I'm not expecting anybody to be Dragnix and mega-case somebody, but it's good food for the mod to know that people are enjoying your game and participating on an active level with decent content.

that sounds like a personal problem then and perhaps you should evolve your mafia game

i play to win not to apease the mod

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

JakeP posted:

I've found that no matter how much I write or don't write, people willfully will ignore what you have to say just to re-affirm their gut or try to skew opinion on you because they're scum.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Magnus Gallant posted:

I got Brady and ap. I win. Sorry guys

Cheaterson and Peterson (I have them both in another league and that is my team name)

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Murmur Twin posted:

Cheaterson and Peterson (I have them both in another league and that is my team name)

Cheaterson and Beathisson

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

JakeP posted:

!!!

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

JakeP posted:

This is the best

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

JakeP posted:

Holy Moley.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

My team is trash lol

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I'd be much happier to go through 100 1 sentence posts to find a case than through 2 guys posting with 5-6 other players not saying a thing. Lurking sucks. Ecco's death wall was p cool

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Kashuno posted:

I'd be much happier to go through 100 1 sentence posts to find a case than through 2 guys posting with 5-6 other players not saying a thing. Lurking sucks. Ecco's death wall was p cool

I find this one of the hardest things to break through. When 2 players engage in a deathroll and outpace everything else in the thread and derail everything back to their issue whatever it may be.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I have roethlisberger, antonio brown and gronkowski. I am very interested in tomorrow night's game.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Outside of Cobb/Rodgers and maybe Dez/Romo, that's the one double up in comfortable starting week in and out

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Grandicap posted:

I find this one of the hardest things to break through. When 2 players engage in a deathroll and outpace everything else in the thread and derail everything back to their issue whatever it may be.

My ears are burning.

I think it depends the issue at hand. It's pretty hard to move from someone when you know they are lying about something.

I think more people need to swim in the too scummy to be scum ways. It's nice out here and there aren't many people around so it'd be nice to have company.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Casey Novak is the worst Law & Order:SVU ADA. she does garbage that Alex Cabot would never even consider in a million years and loses motions that are completely absurd.

these are my "ecco's at home watching tv" opinions, you read them you cannot unread them.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Grandicap posted:

As someone who gets caught up in these from time to time, it's very frustrating when nobody else chimes in at all. You're not trying to convince the other person you're arguing with, you're trying to convince everyone else who is watching, so if nobody even comes in to say which side they agree with then you have no idea how your arguments come off or if you're on the right track or if you just seem crazy and should step away and reevaluate.

If two people start tunneling on each other that is the absolute best time to jump in and give an opinion.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Tremendous Taste posted:

Outside of Cobb/Rodgers and maybe Dez/Romo, that's the one double up in comfortable starting week in and out

what? I can't parse this.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

TMMadman posted:

My ears are burning.

I think it depends the issue at hand. It's pretty hard to move from someone when you know they are lying about something.

I think more people need to swim in the too scummy to be scum ways. It's nice out here and there aren't many people around so it'd be nice to have company.

and boy should they be!

but seriously, the best games are when everyone posts a lot; that's probably a near tautology though

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

EccoRaven posted:

Casey Novak is the worst Law & Order:SVU ADA. she does garbage that Alex Cabot would never even consider in a million years and loses motions that are completely absurd.

these are my "ecco's at home watching tv" opinions, you read them you cannot unread them.

Jokes on you, I didn't read your post.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

TMMadman posted:

My ears are burning.

Yeah, you did this recently, but you are not the only one who has ever done it. Not by a long shot.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

BottleKnight posted:

In=I'm with autocorrect

Usually people will shy away from starting a qb and wr from the same team. A bad week and you may have well lost on that decision alone. Those three I listed are good enough to avoid that imo

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BottleKnight posted:

It's actually called handcuffing. You start your QB and preferably the #1 receiver of that QB. If that team scores a bunch of points chances are so are you.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Asiina posted:

Jokes on you, I didn't read your post.

rude! I read all of your posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
i thought handcuffing was when you pick up your starting RBs backup in case he gets hurt for insurance