Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

iGestalt posted:

Could just put it down to Skull Face's plan being incredibly stupid and flawed.

His plan half worked cause he put Zero on the defensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Sharkopath posted:

I always thought it was just the parasites themselves were originally separate between male and female strains that bred in separate hosts and mated when reunited, and what codetalker did was make it so that mating pairs existed in the same host and started rapidly breeding when exposed to speech.
No you're correct, Code Talker says that originally the parasites separated by gender in different hosts and met up to mate, saying language emerged as host vocalizations forced by the male parasites while he assumed the female parasites operated on smell or something. The parasites manipulated humans too much, the human genome got rewritten so that their vocal cords naturally operated like a parasite-controlled set, and parasites died out. Cipher dug up an iceman and then Code Talker resurrected the parasites with the modification that males and females were in the same host and that they'd feed on the lungs of the host.

At no point do I remember him saying the sex of the host mattered, and the parasites are only lethal because they were modified to have no restraint when seeking oxygen so their larvae infest the lungs of hosts and kill them.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

iGestalt posted:

Could just put it down to Skull Face's plan being incredibly stupid and flawed.

The Hideo Kojima fans would never accept this explanation. HE MUST BE DOING SOMETHING DEEPER. HE WOULDN'T JUST gently caress US IN THE rear end AND NEVER CALL US BACK.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Drinkfist posted:

The Hideo Kojima fans would never accept this explanation. HE MUST BE DOING SOMETHING DEEPER. HE WOULDN'T JUST gently caress US IN THE rear end AND NEVER CALL US BACK.

No, I was right, according to my new friend Nakar, and all of you are wrong.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Skull faces plan wouldn't work (or needs some more feminist overtones) if the intention is to only stop men from speaking english. All the male/female poo poo I remember had to do with the VIRUS ITSELF BEING MALE OR FEMALE and how wolbachia changes one of them to the other, stopping them from activating.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Drinkfist posted:

"Skull Face, Sir, I know the plan is to destroy English but.. Do you know about a language called Mandarin?"
"What?"
"What about Spanish?"
"What?"
"Sir? Do you.. you understand how language works?!"
"Have this man shot."

Then he went forward with his plan that would achieve very little except mildly irritate people and kill a small percentage of the world.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skull Face is a Hideo Kojima villain and therefore his plan is at once overly convoluted and incredibly stupid but almost works anyway.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Skull faces plan wouldn't work (or needs some more feminist overtones) if the intention is to only stop men from speaking english. All the male/female poo poo I remember had to do with the VIRUS ITSELF BEING MALE OR FEMALE and how wolbachia changes one of them to the other, stopping them from activating.

I will look up the tape when I get home but Code Talker explicitly mentions women being asymptomatic carriers at one point.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I mean in terms of "do I need to kill this person to stop the apocalypse" you'd still have to pull the trigger on carriers even if they don't die from it, so I presume with the second strain you'd still end up having to kill your own staff. But I'm still curious what happens, in the same sense I wonder what happens if nobody speaks Kikongo (but people tested that and said it'll happen as soon as a Kikongo-speaking volunteer appears).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Drinkfist posted:

You've got mental issues bro

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Skull Face is a Hideo Kojima villain and therefore his plan is at once overly convoluted and incredibly stupid but almost works anyway.

I will look up the tape when I get home but Code Talker explicitly mentions women being asymptomatic carriers at one point.

It's actually kinda more elaborate than most metal gear plans, he has multiple things he's doing to install himself in power and he fails because you stop all of them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

I have never been as angry at anything as he is at this video game.

Sharkopath posted:

It's actually kinda more elaborate than most metal gear plans, he has multiple things he's doing to install himself in power and he fails because you stop all of them.

To be honest you don't really stop them, you just happen to bring Eli within range of Psycho Mantis and he does it for you.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Selling nukes that he controls the final detkey on, creating a new metal gear that can use itself as a nuclear weapon and can also go anywhere because of the magic of UPRIGHT TECHNOLOGY!!! creating a wide variety of vocal parasite strains he can use to further cement control of the world, and then his final plan is the destruction of english because of his own personal grudge.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, theyre correct. Its just that it used to be that way when the parasite was coming up, but isnt now.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

ImpAtom posted:

You may be right but I'm just wondering how it works from a gameplay standpoint. I doubt anyone's tested an all-female crew without lua hacking since females are incredibly rare unless you farm the missions where they appear as fixed POWs.

I also wonder what happens if you fire everyone who speaks English. I mean there's fixed guys you can't fire but they also won't die I'd think.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

Selling nukes that he controls the final detkey on, creating a new metal gear that can use itself as a nuclear weapon and can also go anywhere because of the magic of UPRIGHT TECHNOLOGY!!! creating a wide variety of vocal parasite strains he can use to further cement control of the world, and then his final plan is the destruction of english because of his own personal grudge.

The first one is a pretty good plot to control certain nations, though. The others less so.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

I'm pretty sure the English strain of the parasite wasn't to destroy the common language forever, but as a giant "gently caress You" to Zero. I mean, yeah, people would use Mandarin or Spanish eventually, but in the short term no one would really agree to any of it immediately.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Grinning Goblin posted:

I'm pretty sure the English strain of the parasite wasn't to destroy the common language forever, but as a giant "gently caress You" to Zero. I mean, yeah, people would use Mandarin or Spanish eventually, but in the short term no one would really agree to any of it immediately.

It's explicitly that.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
It's at least possible that Skull Face knew about the AIs and maybe the AIs were programmed to use English and so destroying the English language would completely bone The Patriots. I'd think if they're smart enough to manipulate Raiden like they did that they could just adapt to another language but hell if I know. Code Talker mentions the Chinese Philosophers believed killing English wouldn't kill Chinese because their structures rely on different parts of the brain but he also suggests this was a retarded notion that wouldn't have worked.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

But also with all his other plans in place the chaos that releasing the english strain widely would cause would probably be helpful to skullface. He doesn't really want to to 'free the world', but solve his own petty personal grudge against what he perceives as the king of languages that supercede other ones while simultaneously putting himself in power.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
You guys know the plan wasnt to kill english speakers and just sit back and chill right? Skullomania talks about it giving nations and people the chance to tell the west to gently caress off (with bite sized metal gear and DIY nukes) while the chaos is going on. It's supposed to be a precursor to all the crazy poo poo

Edit: and a personal gently caress you to Zero, but thats sort of the whole thing too.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

You guys know the plan wasnt to kill english speakers and just sit back and chill right? Skullomania talks about it giving nations and people the chance to tell the west to gently caress off (with bite sized metal gear and DIY nukes) while the chaos is going on. It's supposed to be a precursor to all the crazy poo poo

Yah, his plan was more complicated than just kill all english = free world forever yaaaaaay!!

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Code Talker even says that his plan is flawed and will never work for what he wants it to do. The idea was just to terrify everyone into isolating themselves and relying on the nuke proliferation to maintain his new order.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

His huge speech to snake during the ride is him talking bull in the same way huey is always talking bull. He's justifying his new world order plan as him freeing the world from a language based tyranny, when he just wants to have control over everything himself.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yeah, destroying English wasn't the end in itself, it was just a big part of his master plan, which was to kneecap international communications and create inviolate sovereignty for all individual countries. Guy hates globalism like whoa.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, whatever else I can say about MGSV, Huey is one of the better characters Kojima has ever written. He is a horrifyingly unlikable poo poo in a incredibly believable way for a man trying to invent a giant robot.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Man, whatever else I can say about MGSV, Huey is one of the better characters Kojima has ever written. He is a horrifyingly unlikable poo poo in a incredibly believable way for a man trying to invent a giant robot.

I think the paz tapes are also super duper good, especially the last one.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I never quite got why it was so important for skullface to be able to turn off the nukes. I mean obviously that's a sweet ability to have in a Republican world where everyone is safe because everyone has a nuke, but I can't recall exactly how it fit into the plan in such a way that they wont proceed without it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I never quite got why it was so important for skullface to be able to turn off the nukes. I mean obviously that's a sweet ability to have in a Republican world where everyone is safe because everyone has a nuke, but I can't recall exactly how it fit into the plan in such a way that they wont proceed without it.

It gives him soft control over the way wars play out. If people are using his nukes he can effectively determine who wins.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Huey is a really convincing pathological liar. The way he stammers and leaps at things, his pathetic attempts to suck up to Big Boss and Diamond Dogs, it's all really well-done and it's totally obvious when he's lying and so you can't even get mad at Ocelot for bullying him because the dude is obviously a liar.

And then you find out just how much of a shitbag he actually is and Otacon's story about his father's death goes from the most awkward thing in MGS2 to "yeah, that sounds right, Huey Emmerich was a complete rear end in a top hat who probably would try to murder his daughter when killing himself."

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

The use of FOXP2 in MGS is pretty cool. Wonder why Kojima went with a parasite instead of focusing on a bio weapon that directly targeting that protein? Would've fit better than ~Magical Parasites~ (or would it?)

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's the first big hint about who Boss really is, with the shot in the helicopter of two bosses but the one seeing the events of GZ is where the medic was, it's a hallucination directly brought on by his exposure to his old mother base comrades, which has kicked up this major memory that wasn't overwritten by his programming over nine years, the guilt he felt for failing Paz.

Even the tape paz acknowledges that she's a part of 'the mind he lost'. The whole scenario is the only time that whoever Medic actually was before comes through, I think.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Another big hint is that the camera angles and stuff during the flashbacks to the fall of Mother Base are slightly different from the ones in Ground Zeroes and slightly less cinematic, so they give off the impression not of a camera tracking Big Boss and Kaz as they escape to the chopper but the eyes of a person watching what's happening and running toward the chopper himself.

Which makes perfect sense if that's the Medic's memories, because he would've been on the chopper with Big Boss after GZ, gotten off to help Mosquito bring Miller into the chopper, and then gotten back into it with them. So him rushing out, seeing Miller staggering in, and then retreating to the chopper behind Big Boss fits pretty well.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

So does Lori Alan get any more Boss lines beyond the archived audio from Peace Walker used for the Mammal Pod? I saw her in the opening credits and got excited (also shocked that there's a guy named "Time Winters".)

Nakar posted:

Huey is a really convincing pathological liar. The way he stammers and leaps at things, his pathetic attempts to suck up to Big Boss and Diamond Dogs, it's all really well-done and it's totally obvious when he's lying and so you can't even get mad at Ocelot for bullying him because the dude is obviously a liar.

And then you find out just how much of a shitbag he actually is and Otacon's story about his father's death goes from the most awkward thing in MGS2 to "yeah, that sounds right, Huey Emmerich was a complete rear end in a top hat who probably would try to murder his daughter when killing himself."

My favorite is the tape you get after they find Strangelove's body in RoboBoss's brain and Huey keeps crying about how he's never seen his son's face...despite having at least two photographs of Lil' Hal on the Mammal Pod.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Funky Valentine posted:

My favorite is the tape you get after they find Strangelove's body in RoboBoss's brain and Huey keeps crying about how he's never seen his son's face...despite having at least two photographs of Lil' Hal on the Mammal Pod.
I liked the whole progression of that interrogation. "Skull Face killed her!" "And Skull Face put her body in the Mammal Pod, or let you do it? What?" "Uhhh, I mean she killed herself! She got into the pod all the time!" "And you didn't help her?" "I had no idea she was in there!"

Also the part about how Kaz and Ocelot aren't sure whether the Battle Gear is even worth a poo poo and warning Big Boss to be careful field testing it, because Huey's such a piece of poo poo idea-stealing loser that he might've built them a lemon.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Nakar posted:

I liked the whole progression of that interrogation. "Skull Face killed her!" "And Skull Face put her body in the Mammal Pod, or let you do it? What?" "Uhhh, I mean she killed herself! She got into the pod all the time!" "And you didn't help her?" "I had no idea she was in there!"

Also the part about how Kaz and Ocelot aren't sure whether the Battle Gear is even worth a poo poo and warning Big Boss to be careful field testing it, because Huey's such a piece of poo poo idea-stealing loser that he might've built them a lemon.

He also totally insults all three of them.

"I-I can't just kill someone! I'm not like you all! I'm...I'm normal!" *said after blowing Skull Face's brains out and doing a dance in celebration*

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Skull Face's plan won't work, people would either learn Spanish or loving Mandarin, instantly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It honestly is amazing that Otacon turned out as well as he did and even more amazing he somehow managed to raise Sunny to be as reasonably healthy as a brainwashed child raised by the internet can be.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I listened to all of Code Talker's tapes and he doesn't mention women not getting synptoms anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Upon thinking about it, Huey probably tried to drown Emma to get back at his second wife.

• Locked thread