Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Internet Kraken posted:

you're just making stuff up

I have some bad news for you concerning every other post you've ever read about Splatoon strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I majored in Squid Squad Strategy in college I know this poo poo :shepface:

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
If anything, break it, wait 5 seconds, ambush them if they land and leave if they don't.

Rollers are nice since you can roll and look in different directions, so you can keep an eye on stuff like that.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Szmitten posted:

I tend to leave them because I assume they're intended to be used by the person laying them.

Well you know what happens when you assume...

The other thing about Beakons is that, unlike other deployable subweapons, you can deploy more than one at a time. Teamwork is extremely important in Splatoon, we want you to use our Beakons!!

snivell
Sep 9, 2015

watch out, my posts are pretty damn edgy
I'm buying a Wii-U only for this game.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

snivell posted:

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

snivell posted:

That's a great idea. I'm sure other people will chime in about the other good Wii U games (hint: p much every first party game) but honestly you will never play any of them once you start Splatoon. Although a few rounds of Mario Kart 8 or OlliOlli are nice palate cleansers.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

snivell posted:

Pretty much what I did, even though I bought the Smash Bros. bundle.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~
Since the other team can see your beacons, I like diving real deep via octobrush and dropping all 3 beacons. Even if you paint a minimal amount, you'll get people spending good time hunting down your ink/beacons.

Up to you if you wanna ninja merc them or kraken/squid jump out and repeat. (I find moray/kelp dome to be the sweetest for this cause you have a lot of chance to not run into other squids in your opening dive, and there's a good amount of escape points.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Beakons are great "Turn the corner and look this direction" bait for getting free splats down common routes.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Many today was rough. There's a strain of highly aggressive players who can really swing games with their technique. And it's not limited to any single weapon type. I'm starting to wonder if I've hit my skill cap, or if I just can't get any more performance out of the splatterscope.

Or I could have just had a lovely day.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I had a great day this morning and then when I played later Port Mackerel was in rotation and I got it 7 times in a row so it was awful. That map in splat zones remains the worst possible thing in the game.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I notice that my beacons get used slightly more often if I leave them somewhere goofy. The tops of the trucks in Port Mackerel are good for this.

I dunno, everyone loves a comedian.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Can someone explain to me why the mini splatling exists? It's a tek splattershot with slightly longer range and all the hassle of a charge time.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

LethalGeek posted:

Can someone explain to me why the mini splatling exists? It's a tek splattershot with slightly longer range and all the hassle of a charge time.

You don't hug your Tentatek after winning a match.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Had a match where I superjumped right onto the rainmaker as the enemy broke the shield. I figured I was dead but instead I landed a half second after the shield broke, so instead of dieing I instantly picked it up. That must have been confusing to them.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmea5ET_n9g

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

snivell posted:

did the same thing Sunday, the Best Buy bundle is the best way to go - it's $275 on sale this week

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

This is great
https://youtu.be/nSY1bY6GI3I?t=11m13s
now we know that the green squid is a boy

Jarogue fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 10, 2015

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Man, why is there a trend of getting the Rainmaker ALMOST all the way to the goal - I'm talking one foot away - then turning around to play "pew pew shootmans" until you inevitably get splatted, lose the Rainmaker, and cost us the match?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Because dunking it does nothing for your all-important KDR.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Chill Penguin posted:

That's a great idea. I'm sure other people will chime in about the other good Wii U games (hint: p much every first party game) but honestly you will never play any of them once you start Splatoon. Although a few rounds of Mario Kart 8 or OlliOlli are nice palate cleansers.

eh honestly this poo poo isnt worth it. online is always filled with busted 3v4 matches since everyone gets commucation errors constantly. and everything gets doubly worse during splatfests. this game doesn't even begin to justify the pricetag of a wii u unless you have a golden goose or an extra 300 bucks that you don't mind trading for a third person shooter where the primary focus is online play yet lacks the infrastructure to handle it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zand posted:

eh honestly this poo poo isnt worth it. online is always filled with busted 3v4 matches since everyone gets commucation errors constantly. and everything gets doubly worse during splatfests. this game doesn't even begin to justify the pricetag of a wii u unless you have a golden goose or an extra 300 bucks that you don't mind trading for a third person shooter where the primary focus is online play yet lacks the infrastructure to handle it.

I've generally had consistent 4v4 matches, with dc's being a rarity :shrug:.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Zand posted:

Get a better ISP or a LAN adapter.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Get a better ISP or a LAN adapter.

tell that to the 7 other people in my game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Like out of the last 50 matches I've played only one of them has had missing people. Are you only playing turf war or something? Cause people will intentionally disconnect in that just because there's no penalty for it.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Internet Kraken posted:

Like out of the last 50 matches I've played only one of them has had missing people. Are you only playing turf war or something? Cause people will intentionally disconnect in that just because there's no penalty for it.

Why would anyone do that? The rounds aren't that long anyway in Turf Wars. How do people disconnect anyway, by pulling the cord? That's just sad.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Rexroom posted:

Why would anyone do that? The rounds aren't that long anyway in Turf Wars. How do people disconnect anyway, by pulling the cord? That's just sad.

Hold the power button.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Not a Children posted:

If the finished version is as good as I'm hoping this is gonna be my new avatar

Here you go; kind of winged the background but otherwise I'm pretty happy with the colours:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Smiles posted:

Here you go; kind of winged the background but otherwise I'm pretty happy with the colours:

Yessss, awesome. Just gotta get home and I'll do some resizing magic on it. Great drawing.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

This is awesome, but is there a reference I'm not getting?

RadicalR fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Sep 10, 2015

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
yeah but why is callie so upset?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

She's trapped in the little studio box with her creepy sister, that's why.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

dogsicle posted:

I think you mean cousin!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

AmiYumi posted:

Man, why is there a trend of getting the Rainmaker ALMOST all the way to the goal - I'm talking one foot away - then turning around to play "pew pew shootmans" until you inevitably get splatted, lose the Rainmaker, and cost us the match?

I had a loving bonehead moment on Rainmaker yesterday playing on Triggerfish. I got the rainmaker, made the approach up the net path and I blasted a clear path to the goal, then turned squid to swim my way up to dunk it...

...and fell through the net and to my death in the tiny gap of water underneath, because I was positioned just right for the game to consider me on the net and not on solid ground. :negative:

Fortunately we still won the match.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

If I don't kamikaze at least one person on the netting who thinks they're safe from my kraken, I'm not satisfied with my Triggerfish experience

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

RadicalR posted:

I think you mean cousin!

Wow, I hate this

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Now all my fanfiction is ruined.

raditts posted:

I had a loving bonehead moment on Rainmaker yesterday playing on Triggerfish. I got the rainmaker, made the approach up the net path and I blasted a clear path to the goal, then turned squid to swim my way up to dunk it...

...and fell through the net and to my death in the tiny gap of water underneath, because I was positioned just right for the game to consider me on the net and not on solid ground. :negative:

Fortunately we still won the match.

I can't decide if the best approach too the rainmaker pedestal in Triggerfish is going through the enemy spawn or up the rope bridge of woe. Seems like if a team ever goes for the rope bridge it creates stalemate for at least a minute where the rainmaker can't advance but the enemy team can't take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

dogsicle posted:

• Locked thread