Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I always thought the gory gibs whenever anything dies was kind of weird. Other than that the entire game is pretty tame, but then out of nowhere there's bloody chunks everywhere. I'm certainly not offended by it but it just seems like they could have taken that out and gotten a much broader rating pretty easily.
Also the whole "the girls are on their period" blood moon thing is still pretty out of place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

RhoA posted:

Not only that, but it looks loving awful.

I thought that the trees and pots on the top level were quite twee, but overall it isn't very visually appealing, no.

Not to mention overpriced... pile of cheapshit plastic pumped out by slave labour in Southeast Asia is $65, while thousands of hours of dev time = $10

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Vib Rib posted:

Also the whole "the girls are on their period" blood moon thing is still pretty out of place.

It's vaguely misogynistic yeah, but at least it's relatively subtle, compared to stuff like Mourning Wood and Golden Shower.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
It's weird what you can get away with and only have a T rating.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Cat Mattress posted:

It's vaguely misogynistic yeah, but at least it's relatively subtle, compared to stuff like Mourning Wood and Golden Shower.

Don't forget master bait!

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Heavens! Dick jokes in a T-rated game? Golly, better clutch my pearls!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Network Pesci posted:

Heavens! Dick jokes in a T-rated game? Golly, better clutch my pearls!
It's not so much that. Or that it's offensive or anything. It's more that all the aforementioned content just feels super out of place in a game that's otherwise really kind of - well, I wouldn't say wholesome, but nothing else tips towards that sort of humor or appearance, really. You're clashing swords with skeleton knights and shooting lasers from UFOs and blasting through the earth and fighting slimes, and all this really rad poo poo, and then you come home and it's like "whooooaaaa look out, all the girls are PMSing!", and then there's a joke about peeing on people. I didn't turn off the game in righteous indignation, I just got sort of confused why Red was like yeah, that's where we wanna go with that.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

man why do we gotta be descended from loving puritans instead of cool vikings or some poo poo

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Vib Rib posted:

I always thought the gory gibs whenever anything dies was kind of weird. Other than that the entire game is pretty tame, but then out of nowhere there's bloody chunks everywhere. I'm certainly not offended by it but it just seems like they could have taken that out and gotten a much broader rating pretty easily.

I honestly had no idea that's what the Blood Moon was supposed to represent until this very moment.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Indecisive posted:

man why do we gotta be descended from loving puritans instead of cool vikings or some poo poo

The vikings weren't too great on that front either [citation needed]. Now, the Native Americans, they knew how to do a good dick joke.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Katsuma posted:

I honestly had no idea that's what the Blood Moon was supposed to represent until this very moment.

Blood moons throughout history have been seen as bad omens/signs of the apocalypse. I assume that's still the point, but now that I bothered to read what npcs have to say during blood moons, I see the double entendre.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Freakazoid_ posted:

Blood moons throughout history have been seen as bad omens/signs of the apocalypse. I assume that's still the point, but now that I bothered to read what npcs have to say during blood moons, I see the double entendre.

Oh, huh. I just thought that was, like... some kind of evil influence or something, making all the NPCs go just a little crazy and murderous. I didn't make the connection that it was always the female NPCs. Huh. That's kind of... crude, I guess?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, all the male NPCs go: "Whoa, look out, it's a blood moon! It's really dangerous tonight!"
And all the female NPCs go:

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/NPC posted:

"What is that supposed to mean!?"
"Just-could you just...Please? Ok? Ok. Ugh."
"WHAT?!"

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Vib Rib posted:

It's not so much that. Or that it's offensive or anything. It's more that all the aforementioned content just feels super out of place in a game that's otherwise really kind of - well, I wouldn't say wholesome, but nothing else tips towards that sort of humor or appearance, really. You're clashing swords with skeleton knights and shooting lasers from UFOs and blasting through the earth and fighting slimes, and all this really rad poo poo, and then you come home and it's like "whooooaaaa look out, all the girls are PMSing!", and then there's a joke about peeing on people. I didn't turn off the game in righteous indignation, I just got sort of confused why Red was like yeah, that's where we wanna go with that.

The first time I played this game (years ago) I had no idea of what it was beyond a "Minecraft-like side scroller". The gory explosions from bunnies and goblins was a little surprising, but I didn't think too much of it. Then a half-seen Eye of Cthulhu ambushed me in the Underground and I just about crapped my pants.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Beef Hardcheese posted:

The first time I played this game (years ago) I had no idea of what it was beyond a "Minecraft-like side scroller". The gory explosions from bunnies and goblins was a little surprising, but I didn't think too much of it. Then a half-seen Eye of Cthulhu ambushed me in the Underground and I just about crapped my pants.
I really wish that I could go back and play this game for the first time again, knowing absolutely nothing about it. A lot of the mystery and intrigue disappears after you know how everything works, how the world generates, and so on. It would be fantastic to play it blind for the first time all over again, especially as robust as it is now, after all these patches.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I first played this game this past spring, before 1.3 came out. My friends and I made it to Pumpkin Moon / Frost Moon, but we weren't able to do the events successfully and we just kind of stopped playing.
I started playing again solo a few months ago, and now I've hit the same wall. I made it to wave 10 in Pumpkin Moon, but I was overwhelmed by multiple Pumpkings and Mourning Woods.

I'd like to actually "beat" this game for once: complete all the events, get end-game gear, make a kickass base, etc. (The base is coming along pretty well!) I have an arena with a campfire, heart lantern, banners, honey bubbles and a few other things, but no heart statues. It's just a screen-sized area with a few levels of platforms.

I'm using a ranged class, so I have Shroomite armor (bullet helmet), Daedalus stormbow / chlorophyte shotbow with holy arrows, megashark sniper rifle with crystal bullets, nail gun and golden shower. (Plus a melee weapon or two for backup.) For accessories I have frostspark boots, frozen wings, ankh shield, celestial stone and sniper scope. I use ironskin, endurance, archery and swiftness potions, along with an ammo box and a bewitching table with magnetic spheres and a frost hydra.

Any advice? Should I try to get weapons from the other events? I'd like to stick with ranged combat (I enjoy it a lot) but I'd be willing to switch, especially since the Shroomite stealth bonus is really hard to use. It's a Crimson world, so maybe I should farm up the vampire knives?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

1. Get the UFO mount from the Martian invasion.
2. Kill the cultist.
3. Destroy the Vortex pillar.
4. Craft a Phantasm and also the arrow helmet and a bunch of arrows of your choice (I use Ichor but there might be better ones).
5. Destroy the rest of the pillars using the Megashark.
6. Melt the moon lord with the phantasm.
7. Repeat steps 2, 3, 5 & 6 until you have full Vortex armor, a Vortex beater and possibly a S.D.M.G. and/or a Celebration of you're lucky.

Congratulations! You're now well equipped to breeze through the moon events!

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
ignore the pumpkin/frost moons for now and come back with martian invasion gear or even lunar event/moonlord gear, imo

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Pumpkin and Frost Moon are straight up the dumbest and worst parts of the game, run them once each when you've got endgame equipment (and still probably die a bunch at the end of the night) and then never touch them again because they're stupid and not fun.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I got up to wave 12 of Pumpkin Moon after adding a shallow lava pool and some lizahrd-brand traps at my invasion greeting area. I figure if I use better musket balls for my uzi than the infinite pouch I could kill the pumpkings faster. Also reforging my equipment for damage instead of defense. Better time micromanagement to reset the rainbow cannon rainbow, frost hydra, queen spider, and whatever other passive/automatic enemy destruction systems could help.

I have a xeno staff and tiki armor, so I can get 6+ little UFOs, they make short work of most enemies. Once you have the flying saucer mount, you can get rid of movement accessories like wings, balloons, frog legs, etc. and put some emblems and other damage bonus items.

Though at this point I've gotten kinda bored of this game. Grinding through martian invasions to get the cosmic car keys and xeno staff was very tedious.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

watho posted:

1. Get the UFO mount from the Martian invasion.
2. Kill the cultist.
3. Destroy the Vortex pillar.
4. Craft a Phantasm and also the arrow helmet and a bunch of arrows of your choice (I use Ichor but there might be better ones).
5. Destroy the rest of the pillars using the Megashark.
6. Melt the moon lord with the phantasm.
7. Repeat steps 2, 3, 5 & 6 until you have full Vortex armor, a Vortex beater and possibly a S.D.M.G. and/or a Celebration of you're lucky.

Congratulations! You're now well equipped to breeze through the moon events!

Sounds good!

Ran one Martian Madness so far, it's not bad? Definitely better than the moon ones.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The problem with the Martian Madness is that you need to kill the flying saucers.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

watho posted:

The problem with the Martian Madness is that you need to kill the flying saucers.

I died about five times in a row to them :buddy: and then I remembered all the people in this thread who said to hide under blocks to avoid the death ray.

And all I got was a couple laser drills and a xeno staff. Oh well!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If you have a skybridge really close to the top of the map, go just below it, but above your spawn point. Martians will appear on the bridge, but saucers will practically never spawn.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Standing under a roof and holding down attack with a possessed hatchet made saucers trivial. Not much point in stopping them spawning since they're what drop all the stuff you're farming invasions for, right?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Yup. The other enemies only drop Martian conduit plating, vanity items and the Scrutlix mount summoner. Everything else (i.e. all the good stuff) is from the saucers.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

If you have a skybridge really close to the top of the map, go just below it, but above your spawn point. Martians will appear on the bridge, but saucers will practically never spawn.

Saucers drop all the good stuff though…

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Fighting the saucer within a rooved house area is strongly advised. Be prepared to use your wings a lot to fly around and above the saucer when it uses missiles and lasers. Once it's in its beamspam phase, use the rooved area to your advantage, and in general keep alternating directions between left and right to stay ahead of the laser.

Ironically the fight against enemy saucers becomes easier once you get a saucer mount of your own.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

not sure if they change a ton on expert but you can kill saucers trivially on normal difficulty by building a small dome over your head on the ground and just poking a yo-yo out at it while it flys uselessly overhead

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

saucer death rays are super easy to dodge with a hoverboard (or better), once you get a good rhythm going

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I don't know if saucers get nuts on expert but on normal I dug a lava pit and sat underneath it. Saucers were killed by summons. Later on it was optimized with teleporters but that was enough to get me the mount and a few other bits I stuck in a chest and never used.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

watho posted:

Saucers drop all the good stuff though…

Yeah but I already got all these drops and I was trying to get the brain scrambler to round out my collection of mount summon items.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Anyone know of any good mods for terraria? N-mod sucks in its current state sadly.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Insomnia is a terrible thing, so I fired up a new world to make a playground from the beginning. Being more of a fan of death than architecture I started with a multi-boss invulnerability machine. Either due to the tracks pointing right or PC speed issues it took me 23 tracks instead of 17 to get the heart statues to reset properly. That's pretty cool since while it was more painful to build it in theory means my regen rate is higher. I need to finish the actuated Plantera farm and do all bosses (sans cultist) on expert at once.

Now I just need to add Pillar arenas and build a teleport hub. I really need a new game to play.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Mailer posted:

Insomnia is a terrible thing, so I fired up a new world to make a playground from the beginning. Being more of a fan of death than architecture I started with a multi-boss invulnerability machine. Either due to the tracks pointing right or PC speed issues it took me 23 tracks instead of 17 to get the heart statues to reset properly. That's pretty cool since while it was more painful to build it in theory means my regen rate is higher. I need to finish the actuated Plantera farm and do all bosses (sans cultist) on expert at once.

Now I just need to add Pillar arenas and build a teleport hub. I really need a new game to play.

His latest farm works better and doesnt require any heart statues: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGKOUPiFuxc

That one doesnt work for the moon lord so I use this one for him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQTcYmmSSug

Joe Price is some kind of scary smart builder.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

JB50 posted:

His latest farm works better and doesnt require any heart statues

A modified, non-afk version of that is getting built next for Frost Moon. I just wanted something to mash a ton bosses at once, so drop/slime invulnerability doesn't work due to the stupid moon lord rules. On my normal world I used a four-box teleporter to take out Moon Lord and I didn't want to use teleport boxes or not be afk for anything but frost/pumpkin moons. It's totally cheating unless you're the kind of poopsocker that can farm 184 heart statues but at this point statues are the only thing I can't build farms for.

Joe Price is insane. As much as I love his killbox designs (and I'd never even attempt the massive hoik engines) the thing that still really impresses me is the teleport hub. It's insanely useful, not ridiculous and you can see way more time was spent thinking about it than building it.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
It took several invasions, but I finally got the cosmic car key! Thanks for the suggestion, because this thing makes combat so much easier.

I handled the pillars OK (none of them spawned in my base, yay) mostly thanks to the Phantasm melting everything. But then the Moon Lord wrecked me.
I think the main issue was that I couldn't see poo poo. I had no idea what was going on, or what to aim at... I think I got all three eyes down to half health before getting squished.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I finally got a reasonable and small falling invulnerability engine with a timer attached that would be perfect for cutting and pasting into a world for an automated lunar event setup. Then I found out the latest tedit beta doesn't work for me. It is a sad day.

Edit: ...and I figured out how to get it working. Assumed install directories are a really bad idea.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Oct 3, 2015

Motley
Nov 1, 2013
Is there a suggested Let's Play that I can watch to get started in this game? I feel a little overwhelmed with the amount of content there is and the correct way to approach it. I've been mining around and upgrading my tools but that is about it so far. It would be nice to get some direction or see a list of goals to work towards or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Automating the lunar event chain is proving to be more difficult than I thought. The Vortex pillar dies too early. :/

Motley posted:

Is there a suggested Let's Play that I can watch to get started in this game? I feel a little overwhelmed with the amount of content there is and the correct way to approach it. I've been mining around and upgrading my tools but that is about it so far. It would be nice to get some direction or see a list of goals to work towards or something like that.

In terms of progression there is the boss list. The wiki also has a hardmode prep guide, though the checklist there is a bit pedantic since it assumes you only ever have one world. There's not much more to the progression game than the beat bosses -> get loot -> beat more bosses loop.

Your initial short term goals (aside from digging for NPCs/treasure) will be upgrading your gear, building a house with rooms for NPCs, building a skybridge/skyrail for finding floating islands, beating the early bosses and digging a hellavator to the bottom. Just keep the wiki open all the time because it'll tell you what you need to do to get your next upgrade or whatever.