Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
A second chance to dip in retirement savings for a home purchase is also pretty bad as the first one is already eroding peoples retirement savings and only benefits the banks.

There is an entire generation of people retiring at the moment that already have insufficient income so see them comfortable in their retirement. Letting them spend or of it on a house/condo is a direct endorsement of bad financial management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Big K of Justice posted:

Depends on what part of California. Southern California, every rental I had that was built past the mid 70's had central air. Even a studio. I had a 1960's place in Playa Del Rey that at least had central heat.

Vancouver condo developers seem to get away with the bare minimum finishing they can stuff into a "modern" condo. Out of the 30 buildings I looked at between Coal Harbor, China Town and False Creek, only 2 had Central/Heat and A/C per unit. The rest have the cheapest cheap baseboard electric heaters and that's it. They don't even put screen doors on the windows/doors to the balconies. Now that's cheap.

Boxes in the sky with no ventilation, welcome to Vancouver.

The only building I found that had central air (and heated floors) when I was looking for a new place in Vancouver was the Maddox at Drake and Howe. Every other :airquote: luxury condo :airquote: was, like you said, just a baseboard heater under any windows. Unfortunately, the real estate agent wanted me to sign a lease that included full access to my bank account so that the owner could take out the rent ("and other fees") at their discretion, so I politely declined.

Re: the screen doors though, I've never needed them in the city. You get an occasional wasp or something but there are just no flying bugs downtown to screen out. :shrug: It's not like living in rural Ontario where you have clouds of roaming mosquitos ready to strip your flesh.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I need to run a quick sanity check here.

Is it a good idea to rent a brand new 1 BR + Den apartment for 1400/month around Lakeshore blvd West? It puts me close to work (30 min drive) and it doesn't make sense to be deep into Toronto because I need quick and easy highway access for my job. My income is 60k per year not including bonuses and commissions and my car allowance which I make a tidy 100$ profit off of. Almost everyone I know seems to be renting basements or going into roommate arrangements. I want to be on my own. Am I making a bad decision here because my parents were able to buy a house and pay just 800 per month on the mortgage. Feels like I'm getting shafted somehow.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Do you have a gf? The most economical arrangement is to have her move in with you.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Kraftwerk posted:

I need to run a quick sanity check here.

Is it a good idea to rent a brand new 1 BR + Den apartment for 1400/month around Lakeshore blvd West? It puts me close to work (30 min drive) and it doesn't make sense to be deep into Toronto because I need quick and easy highway access for my job. My income is 60k per year not including bonuses and commissions and my car allowance which I make a tidy 100$ profit off of. Almost everyone I know seems to be renting basements or going into roommate arrangements. I want to be on my own. Am I making a bad decision here because my parents were able to buy a house and pay just 800 per month on the mortgage. Feels like I'm getting shafted somehow.

I know a guy who's trying to rent a run down 1st floor 1 bedroom in Parkdale for 1150, but it has mice and had roaches earlier this summer.

He'll get 1150 too. So by comparison I'd say you're doing ok.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Living alone as an adult is an extremely expensive and sinful waste of an adult life.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Cultural Imperial posted:

Do you have a gf? The most economical arrangement is to have her move in with you.

The reason I'm moving out in the first place is because unlike where my family came from women will never forgive a 28 yr old man for living with his parents.

So basically it's a chicken and egg scenario. Gotta live on your own to get the gf in the first place. Oddly enough my ex gf lived in Liberty on her own and she had daddy's gas card and daddy's money to supplement her income... I don't have that luxury. Once I'm on my own I get nothing.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 9, 2015

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Kraftwerk posted:

The reason I'm moving out in the first place is because unlike where my family came from women will never forgive a 28 yr old man for living with his parents.

Any woman who thinks this isn't really worth the effort to be with, bud.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Tighclops posted:

Any woman who thinks this isn't really worth the effort to be with, bud.

That automatically means I shouldn't be dating anyone born and raised in Canada to anglo-saxon parents of modest means. The typical story among the women I've dated has always been that they grew up in Barrie/Bracebridge/Sarnia/Welland/St. Thomas and then were kicked out or moved to Toronto to make something of themselves. Working like 3-4 jobs and living with roommates. So when I come out and say I live with family for cost reasons they laugh in my face because they make a 1/5th of the money I do and have managed to survive out there.

Me I'm used to have having my own room, my own things and my own private space. My parents don't bother me and I kinda have that expectation when I move out. So I don't like rooming with people and I sure as hell don't like the thumpin and moanin when the roomie brings his gf over.

/rant

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Do your parents not gently caress or something?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Kraftwerk posted:

I shouldn't be dating anyone born and raised in Canada to anglo-saxon parents

agreed

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Dump the white chick, get an Asian.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Well I appreciate the sentiment but it is a matter of personal pride that I start living on my own. While my parents seem to have no issue with me staying with them it is starting to really bother me that I'm approaching the wrong side of 30 and still stuck here. It would've flown back in the old country where sometimes 1-2 generations of people lived in the same house but that poo poo just doesn't fly here.

It's quite humiliating, especially when you meet someone and the topic of coming back to one's place pops up. I suppose I can start saving for a down-payment instead so that way at least I own wherever it is I go....

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

Kraftwerk posted:

I suppose I can start saving for a down-payment instead so that way at least I own wherever it is I go....

more like pride of bonership

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

MikeSevigny posted:

more like pride of bonership

New thread title right here

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Kafka Esq. posted:

Dump the white chick, get an Asian.

Wow check your Occidental priv son

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

In Calgary, I dated a chick who literally was living in her parents' basement and gave me interminable poo poo for not owning a car, when I co-owned a 2-BR 2-bath condo with my sister. :rolleyes:

Also, gotta love when they don't have a car, but basically suck at using transit/always use cabs. Apparently men around here are expected to be goddamn chauffeurs.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

P.d0t posted:

In Calgary, I dated a chick who literally was living in her parents' basement and gave me interminable poo poo for not owning a car, when I co-owned a 2-BR 2-bath condo with my sister. :rolleyes:

Just me and sis sharing a mortgage

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

P.d0t posted:

Also, gotta love when they don't have a car, but basically suck at using transit/always use cabs. Apparently men around here are expected to be goddamn chauffeurs.

Hahaha. I remember in 3rd year university a girl told me she'd date me if I had a car and my own place. After I promptly told her to get hosed (which she took literally and got hitched a couple years later) I eventually did get a car. Now chicks give me poo poo for having a car and not an apartment.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

flashman posted:

Check your privledge, not everyone is made of huge cash money. Family would be excellent room mates since you don't roll the dice and get a crazy pothead who becomes unemployed and skips out on rent until evicted proper.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
this thread is full of enormous morons

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009

JawKnee posted:

this thread is full of enormous morons

Welcome to the world!

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
TIA. I paid my cover charge to get in to this bar, I am owed one sex.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Kraftwerk posted:

The typical story among the women I've dated has always been that they grew up in Barrie/Bracebridge/Sarnia/Welland/St. Thomas and then

Ok, I think I've found the main part of your problem

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

flashman posted:

Lannisters are good with money.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, women from those areas need you to own a place and car at age 16. They need to get this stuff done fast since they're all going to die of lung cancer at age 40.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Just because it's common and unavoidable does not excuse it's a failure you live with your parents after 23, sorry.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

Lannisters are good with money.

Actually the gold mines in casterly rock are tapped out, it's only the availability of cheap credit in westeros that's propped up all those bullshit kings and their wars. Once rates go up easily half of those :airquote: nobles :airquote: won't be able to even afford the payments on their homesteads. Let's see how much good they can squelch rebel scum after that correction :smug:

:goonsay:

PS gently caress the iron isles, weather is lovely and they have no sense of humor and the DTES there is all hookers and addicts anyways.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

There are some okay things about Cape Breton, tho

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
like what I can't think of a single thing

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Easy access to Percocets and fentanyl

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Just because it's common and unavoidable does not excuse it's a failure you live with your parents after 23, sorry.

Unless you are italian

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

like what I can't think of a single thing

- Many alcoholics to keep you company while drinking yourself to death

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

flashman posted:

I've heard that it's more common for siblings to go in together on a house/condo/whatever or close friends or whoever just because trying to afford a house on your own is impossible.

Also don't date anyone from Barrie.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Dreylad posted:

I've heard that it's more common for siblings to go in together on a house/condo/whatever or close friends or whoever just because trying to afford a house on your own is impossible.

The post-script to this story, is that now my sister and her BF (who has like 2.7 jobs and makes more money than I do, at each of them) are now living in the same place, because they still can't afford a house.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
What the gently caress is Barrie?

It's like this place is worse than Kitchener

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

What the gently caress is Barrie?

It's like this place is worse than Kitchener

I had a Barrie girl explain her tattoos to me once. She went on and on about the various random poo poo on her body. Most of her reasons seemed pretty poorly thought out. What finally did me in was when she pointed to the pizza slice tattooed to her left middle knuckle and said "That's a pizza slice because I like pizza". My eyes kinda glazed over and I walked away. Speaking of which I've noticed just about every girl's favorite activities seem to consist of food and netflix. I can give them a pass for netflix but food isn't really a hobby, it's kinda something you have to do to exist, no? Yet I allow these people to influence me into shoveling 1400 into someone else's subprime mortgage just to have a shot at the dating pool.

Must be great being a chick in Toronto. Take a few lovely selfies in the mirror wearing your one LBD and pair of heels you wore to a wedding once, say you like pizza and netflix and BAM your tinder is ringing off the hook. Get piss drunk off jackson-triggs, stumble barefoot and drunk through the streets and eat late night pizza at the big slice. gently caress yeah.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 10, 2015

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
TBF you've accurately described dating in most Canadian cities. It's a sad fact of life that if you're over 25 the good ones are either already taken or long since fled this barren wasteland for a decent country.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Come on isn't this the tindrr here? Your all loving in filthy club bathrooms with your appppzzzz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

P.d0t posted:

The post-script to this story, is that now my sister and her BF (who has like 2.7 jobs and makes more money than I do, at each of them) are now living in the same place, because they still can't afford a house.

Why haven't they sold it and rented while waiting for price correction?