Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

MisterShine posted:

FFG continues to impress with faction plays similar to tabletop with Tyranids being swarms with upgradable big bugs you can get way too carried away with

Now to wait for the next cycle for loving Gorzod

I'm loving the Tyranids. They just got released on OCTGN and their playstyle really is fairly unique in the game. I just wish they had some kind of event counter so that your Regeneration/Heavy Venom Cannon super bug can't get punked by Archon's Terror!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

I suppose its another point for Biovores over the others since you could move them back since they have Hive Mind... but other bugs are just so much better

Oh well, same boat as everyone but eldar. I've been relying on Pyrovores a lot for later game archon recovery

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
Pyrovores are really good in general. It's like Blood Angels Veterans but often even scarier!

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Next LotR cycle news?!?!

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/8/25/the-grey-havens/

"Three new scenarios feature mechanics for ships and sailing, as well as a heavy emphasis on exploration."
Ships. Sailing. :aaaaa:

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

ChiTownEddie posted:

Next LotR cycle news?!?!

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/8/25/the-grey-havens/

"Three new scenarios feature mechanics for ships and sailing, as well as a heavy emphasis on exploration."
Ships. Sailing. :aaaaa:

Círdan the Shipwright! Probably Narya as well! With how seldom I get a chance to play, we haven't even gotten through the quests from the last deluxe yet, but this is still really cool.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
This is really cool and I just got the base game. Very excited to get expansions in general and new quest

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
I'm hoping for more things that let me clear location locks. There are only so many Northern Trackers I can put in decks.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

AGoT 2e is "On Le Boat" now, too

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Finally got around to playing some games of AGOT 2e on OCTGN with my Lannister/Tyrell deck:

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com A Game of Thrones 2nd Edition Deckbuilder

Total Cards: (60)

Faction:
Lannister

Agenda: (1)
1x Banner of the Rose (Core Set)

Plot: (7)
1x A Game of Thrones (Core Set)
1x A Noble Cause (Core Set)
1x Building Orders (Core Set)
1x Confiscation (Core Set)
2x Heads on Spikes (Core Set)
1x Sneak Attack (Core Set)

Character: (35)
2x Cersei Lannister (Core Set)
2x Courtesan of the Rose (Core Set)
2x Gold Cloaks (Core Set)
2x Grand Maester Pycelle (Core Set)
2x Joffrey Baratheon (Core Set)
2x Lannisport Merchant (Core Set)
2x Lannisport Moneylender (Core Set)
2x Left (Core Set)
3x Littlefinger (Core Set)
2x Maester Lomys (Core Set)
2x Margaery Tyrell (Core Set)
2x Right (Core Set)
2x Ser Jaime Lannister (Core Set)
2x The Knight of Flowers (Core Set)
2x The Tickler (Core Set)
2x Tyrion Lannister (Core Set)
2x Tywin Lannister (Core Set)

Attachment: (6)
2x Bodyguard (Core Set)
2x Milk of the Poppy (Core Set)
2x Widow’s Wail (Core Set)

Event: (6)
2x Tears of Lys (Core Set)
2x The Things I Do For Love (Core Set)
2x Treachery (Core Set)

2x Casterly Rock (Core Set)
2x Lannisport (Core Set)
3x The Kingsroad (Core Set)
3x The Roseroad (Core Set)
3x Western Fiefdom (Core Set)

Pretty happy with it so far, though I need to get better at my challenges. I also realized that Treachery can be used to cancel The Kingsroad, which is awesome. I'm thinking of replacing Sneak Attack with Wildfire Assault or something to help when the board goes crazy. My original plan with it was to close out games with the extra power claim or getting my opponent's hand under control, but I haven't been using it. Still, I really like having at least one claim two plot in the deck, so I'll probably leave it as is for now. I was also having a problem of drawing too many non-Lannister cards that I couldn't use my cost reducers on, so I'm going to try taking out the Courtesans of the Rose and put in "The Bear and the Maiden Fair." Hopefully that will help with my consistency (stop hiding on the bottom of my deck all the time Jaime!). What have you guys been messing around with?

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
Lannister Tyrell is one of the crazier wombo combo decks out of Core. Things like Tyrion getting 2-4 gold out of Intrigue challenges, then having Jaime not kneel for a military challenge, then using the gold on Olenna's Informant to do another non-kneeling military challenge (proccing Renown each time) is just amazing. Make it Winter for good measure!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Left and Right are poo poo and not worth it, which makes Tyrell actually kinda a hassle. But from your decklist it doesn't seem like you have a lot in the way of chumps. You need 3x Lannister reducers, 3x Courtesans, 3x Burning Men, 2-3x Gold Cloaks, etc. It is often better to play a reducer (even if it's a Tyrell one) than Bodyguard, honestly, especially since Bodyguard does dick all to the #1 targeted removal you'll see (Dracarys). I'd also suggest against 3x Littlefinger, since he seems very much a "win more" type of guy. 5 to play is hefty when he can't be reduced and does nothing to the immediate board state. In fact, without a Moneylender, Kingsroad or Roseroad out (or Tywin I guess), only 2 of your plots can play him. Building Orders is also kind of a marginal plot. I'd probably play Calm Over Westeros or even Wildfire over it.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Is anyone here in the Atlanta area? Specifically Marietta?

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

Left and Right are poo poo and not worth it, which makes Tyrell actually kinda a hassle. But from your decklist it doesn't seem like you have a lot in the way of chumps. You need 3x Lannister reducers, 3x Courtesans, 3x Burning Men, 2-3x Gold Cloaks, etc. It is often better to play a reducer (even if it's a Tyrell one) than Bodyguard, honestly, especially since Bodyguard does dick all to the #1 targeted removal you'll see (Dracarys). I'd also suggest against 3x Littlefinger, since he seems very much a "win more" type of guy. 5 to play is hefty when he can't be reduced and does nothing to the immediate board state. In fact, without a Moneylender, Kingsroad or Roseroad out (or Tywin I guess), only 2 of your plots can play him. Building Orders is also kind of a marginal plot. I'd probably play Calm Over Westeros or even Wildfire over it.

Ah, I should have mentioned that this is being built with only two cores in mind. I'll get a third at some point, though. Right and Left will be much more fun with three copies, but yeah, they're not all that great. I like them just for the silly combo potential. Still, I'm not that attached to the Tyrells, so maybe I'll try another Banner faction. You're right about Bodyguard, too. I was thinking about Tears of Lys, but it can't be used on most of my characters anyway, silly me. I'll swap them out for Burned Men. A Seal of the Hand might also be fun to get more use out of Tywin/Cersei/Tyrion. Three copies of Littlefinger is a little risky, but I think he's valuable enough to be worth the risk. A good body, non-Limited extra gold, and most importantly, extra cards make him an appealing play pretty much whenever I'm able. Not to mention the lack of other options for economy at the moment.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Pack 3 of AGOT announced, with the first new Agenda, House Frey: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/8/26/the-kings-peace/

They sure didn't spoil much, but Wolf Dreams looks pretty solid for a wolf-centric deck. I'm not sure how many other knights are out there that make Hedge Knight worth it, though. Edit: House Dayne Knight, Tumblestone and Vanguard Lancer are the only common ones, with Jaime, Davos, Jorah, Waymar and Knight of Flowers being the unique ones.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 26, 2015

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

Pack 3 of AGOT announced, with the first new Agenda, House Frey: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/8/26/the-kings-peace/

They sure didn't spoil much, but Wolf Dreams looks pretty solid for a wolf-centric deck. I'm not sure how many other knights are out there that make Hedge Knight worth it, though. Edit: House Dayne Knight, Tumblestone and Vanguard Lancer are the only common ones, with Jaime, Davos, Jorah, Waymar and Knight of Flowers being the unique ones.

Neat agenda. Not sure what to make of it, but it's nice to see more agendas so soon.

Hedge Knight probably isn't worth it outside of decks that need some more cheap characters, but I think we'll see a bunch of new Knights in this cycle. If Baratheon gets access to a few more generic knights, or a bunch more unique ones, I think they could pull it off. Nice to see Knight support return from the first edition.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Am I the only one getting a Page Not Found error on that FFG link/page??

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
If the first encounter card you draw,very first turn, in lord of the rings is a treason card....you simply resolve it and do NOT draw another encounter card right?
Ie it's your willpower vs effectively 0?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
So you are playing solo and there are no cards in the staging area?
Then yes it is your willpower vs 0 threat.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
Unless it has the surge keyword or some other effect from the quest you draw 1 per player. So yea depending on the deck it can wiff a few times if your soloing it.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Alright I'll post some thoughts on the game tonight as I got my wife to try it
But I'm looking for some advice too
So originally I was all set to get dwarves so khazad-dum made sense
But drat if the black riders doesn't seem really fun. High reviews everywhere I look

I feel I should get khazad to get the dwarves going but how good are the cards in black riders in general vs khazad?

Guess I'm concerned of getting a different deluxe set and finding it doesn't come with cards that can deal with the quest
Ie I got to have enough adventure packs to build a deck to break through

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 29, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

These goddamn war packs for Conquest are gonna need to be coming really rapid fire because wow, what the hell is going on with the Tyranids box? https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/9/9/wrath-of-the-crusaders/

Black Templar warlord seems cool though. Not sure if he's better than Sicarius, but that's a pretty high bar.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Is there a Dr. LCG in the house that's played all of them?

I've played quite a bit of LotR and A:NR and love them, and I'm probably going to get Doomtown Reloaded. As a M:TG burnout, I've kind of been pursuing novelty in my LCGs.

I'm curious about the big FFG blob of Lang designed games, though, like Call of Cthulhu/Conquest/AGoT/SWLCG/WH:I. My first impression is that these games seem to have similar DNA such that if you ignore theme for a moment they sort of all blend together. Its difficult to find someone breaking them down mechanically in super-over-analyzing, Who's the Beatdown, read-all-the-mark-rosewater-articles fashion that I'm used to like at a place like stimhack.com. Most discussions comparing them seem to boil down to the theme, which game is popular, which game is currently getting new cards, and which game has the biggest buy-in, rather than analyzing and contrasting the different elements of the designs. Are any of the older designs worth checking out beyond an interest in that particular theme? Or is it probably wiser to just hop on the latest iteration, even ignoring factors like organized play/card pools/future cards?

On a totally different topic, I hope that Lukas Litzinger is stepping down from A:NR lead to secretly work on an unannounced revamp of another one of Richard Garfield's board games,Vampire: The Eternal Struggle. I read some rumors that FFG had the license and was working on it once upon a time but then they said it was canceled, but maybe it's possible that they are re-theming it somehow.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
I've played ANR, Conquest, Doomtown and AGoT2, in that order.

I'm not much of a flavor buff but all the games have pretty decent flavor so there's that.

ANR is kind of tableau building, with a progression of game states that favor one side or the other over time/game turns. It's also fun to have 2 decks at any one point that do entirely different things, kind of like having 2 games in 1. Efficiency is the name of the game for all decks in ANR, and you will see all top decks have some form of 'unfair' econ/card engine on top of their overarching strategy.

Conquest is a bit more tactical and demands that you take the long view when it comes to games. I think it's pretty well accepted that as game skill increases the average game length goes up. You need to be able to play for the future based on what you have in your hand/ what the planet flop is/ what your opponents did/ what you might draw. It's rather unforgiving if you fall behind or are a new player versus an experienced one, however. It's also the one game out of the few I play where you smash faces directly in combat.

Doomtown is quite different from the other decks out there and I'd say most of the skill is in deck construction, where you 'stack' the deck in such a way that you increase the odds of getting a certain draw hand or shoutout hand (that's the main mechanic in Doomtown, you take X cards from the top of your deck and compare poker hand strengths to determine who wins or gets to do something). During the game it's a matter of spatial maneuvering of your cards and pieces to be able to do certain things.

AGoT2 is the one with a combat phase most reminiscent of MtG. You play dudes and you attack with them and the opponent blocks and stuff. The main mechanics are balancing of economy to be able to play your dudes (gold drains at the end of every turn), balancing offense and defense on 3 different fronts (3 different types of attacks that all do different things) and lastly selection of plots both during the game and in deck construction to best suit your needs (plots are like weather effects that do stuff when you select them at the start of every turn).

Hope that helps!

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Is there a Dr. LCG in the house that's played all of them?

I've played quite a bit of LotR and A:NR and love them, and I'm probably going to get Doomtown Reloaded. As a M:TG burnout, I've kind of been pursuing novelty in my LCGs.

I'm curious about the big FFG blob of Lang designed games, though, like Call of Cthulhu/Conquest/AGoT/SWLCG/WH:I. My first impression is that these games seem to have similar DNA such that if you ignore theme for a moment they sort of all blend together. Its difficult to find someone breaking them down mechanically in super-over-analyzing, Who's the Beatdown, read-all-the-mark-rosewater-articles fashion that I'm used to like at a place like stimhack.com. Most discussions comparing them seem to boil down to the theme, which game is popular, which game is currently getting new cards, and which game has the biggest buy-in, rather than analyzing and contrasting the different elements of the designs. Are any of the older designs worth checking out beyond an interest in that particular theme? Or is it probably wiser to just hop on the latest iteration, even ignoring factors like organized play/card pools/future cards?

I've played all of FFG's LCGs except Warhammer: Invasion and Call of Cthulhu, though one of my friend's owns some COC stuff and I have a general idea of how it works for whenever we get around to playing it. I keep meaning to get a general overview of all the games up for the OP, but I keep putting it off. Alas for laziness and perfectionism.

While many of the games have similar mechanics, I think they're all different enough to be worth checking out. I really like Star Wars for its unique deck-building mechanic and the way it uses tokens to "tap" things so they can be "tapped" more then once. Call of Cthulhu has a neat resource mechanic, where you "tap" an entire group of resources at once to pay for cards, and any extra is lost. Game of Thrones has its Plot deck, which determines income, turn order, and have special effects. Still, the most important thing is probably just finding other players. If you have no attachment to any particular game, I'd simply find what other people are playing/having an interest in.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
How are the greyjoy and baratheon factions looking in agot2e?
While my wife was enjoying LoTr she didn't like feeling so far behind the purchase curve,same reason I never did got earlier, so I pre-ordered one starter with a eye toward a second or third if we enjoy it

But those are the factions whose symbols she likes so yeah

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I also like the Star Wars approach to decks in the "pods", because constructing decks isn't as fun for me as it is to others. I prefer to make 10 decisions rather than 60 decisions.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Tiny Chalupa posted:

How are the greyjoy and baratheon factions looking in agot2e?
While my wife was enjoying LoTr she didn't like feeling so far behind the purchase curve,same reason I never did got earlier, so I pre-ordered one starter with a eye toward a second or third if we enjoy it

But those are the factions whose symbols she likes so yeah

I played against Baratheon, and their deck seems to really, really need Melisandre out to really kick it into high gear, which makes them really inconsistent. If you whiff on a Summons, you are kinda boned. Robert is pretty great, though, but their reliance on getting Mel out for their control game can be pretty bad. I went 15-0 vs. a Baratheon/something deck with a Targ/Lannister just because they whiffed on the Summons and couldn't slow down the doom that awaited them all.

Greyjoy owns on the offense, is lacking a lot on the defense. Also their uniques are generally great (Euron is pretty disappointing for a 7 coster, but can be an economic powerhouse in certain ultimately unreliable situations), but their non-uniques are pretty trash. If they weren't all/mostly Ironborn, it would be trivial to dump most of them in favor of your banner's non-uniques. I find when I deckbuild with them that they're sorta lacking in characters, since they have a lot of good events and locations, but I can probably refine that some.

All impressions are from a handful of games, obviously, so adjust accordingly.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Core sets of Doomtown Reloaded are $17 with Prime on Amazon right now.

ExtraCheese
Apr 16, 2014
Hey guys, got a Conquest summer tournament thingy coming up, I was wondering if it's possible to run Zogwort without basically getting laughed off the table?

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

There's nothing zogwort can do that Nazdreg doesn't really do better? You're basically just hoping to generate enough snotlings in one turn to launch da snots for mass damage, but you could have just had a brutal unit the whole time instead

Short answer "not really"?

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

ExtraCheese posted:

Hey guys, got a Conquest summer tournament thingy coming up, I was wondering if it's possible to run Zogwort without basically getting laughed off the table?

These guys think your best bet is either a build focusing on your swarm or one with lots of indirect damage. Just be careful of the big Area Effect attacks and you should be good.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
Well, this is a little early notice but L5R LCG is coming in 2017.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/9/11/a-new-emperor-rises/

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Woah, that's weird as hell considering that AEG is publishing their own ECG with their Doomtown game. I wonder if this has any significance for Doomtown

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Ask Me For Warez posted:

Well, this is a little early notice but L5R LCG is coming in 2017.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/9/11/a-new-emperor-rises/

Holyshit, L5R LCG please!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Karnegal posted:

Holyshit, L5R LCG please!

gently caress that, give me 7th Sea.

Actually probably fewer LCGs since I already spend a lot a month.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I'm so conflicted about this and I can't say why: I love FFGs games, but at the same time I still feel kinda down about it.

(FFG card design for it is almost certainly going to be be better than AEGs, to be honest)

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Honestly, I'm so in shock. I love L5R but haven't played since War of Honor because I didn't really have a group that ever wanted to commit to another CCG. When Netrunner came along a bunch of us jumped into it and while I moved onto other FFG LCGs the overall experience has been great and I'm so SO excited that L5R is going this direction. I never felt that the designers at AEG were particularly good but the FFG guys, seeing everything they're putting out and watching each game come out that has more and more tight balance and gameplay, I just really feel excited that L5R can benefit from that. I know the fan communities are going to be worried that FFG will tighten the reigns on the IP but honestly I couldn't care about those people, because I just loved the card game and am really happy to see it in the hands of professionals.

It's amazing how 10 years ago FFG was known for their poorly written rulebooks and games, and now everything they put out is top notch, their rulebooks are fantastic and their videos on youtube are just perfect.

The Doomtown head said that Doomtown wasn't moving but honestly in 5 years, I wouldn't be sad to see it move either.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

PaybackJack posted:

Honestly, I'm so in shock. I love L5R but haven't played since War of Honor because I didn't really have a group that ever wanted to commit to another CCG. When Netrunner came along a bunch of us jumped into it and while I moved onto other FFG LCGs the overall experience has been great and I'm so SO excited that L5R is going this direction. I never felt that the designers at AEG were particularly good but the FFG guys, seeing everything they're putting out and watching each game come out that has more and more tight balance and gameplay, I just really feel excited that L5R can benefit from that. I know the fan communities are going to be worried that FFG will tighten the reigns on the IP but honestly I couldn't care about those people, because I just loved the card game and am really happy to see it in the hands of professionals.

It's amazing how 10 years ago FFG was known for their poorly written rulebooks and games, and now everything they put out is top notch, their rulebooks are fantastic and their videos on youtube are just perfect.

The Doomtown head said that Doomtown wasn't moving but honestly in 5 years, I wouldn't be sad to see it move either.

I haven't played the CCG in over a decade but I have some really good memories attached to it, so I'm going to be all over the LCG. The barrier of entry to the CCG always seemed huge.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Swagger Dagger posted:

I haven't played the CCG in over a decade but I have some really good memories attached to it, so I'm going to be all over the LCG. The barrier of entry to the CCG always seemed huge.

I always found that as long as you were willing to play a clan that wasn't represented in a playgroup, and if there was a local group, they'd gift you whatever cards you needed to play. However I've always been a "gotta have a playset of everything" kind of player and in a relatively small market like L5R was, I ended up spending way more on getting playsets of rares than I ever did in Magic. Of course that was before Mythic Rares so who knows what that would be like for me post-Mythics. If you were casual I found you really didn't need to spend more on the game than the cost of a starter if you lived somewhere that had at least 3-4 loyal players.

Starting a group though? loving nigh impossible. The other good thing about this acquisition is that they'll print the cards in Chinese so I can actually try to get local players here in Taiwan without handing them a giant wall of English on each card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Maybe FFG will make a ruleset that isn't impossible for newbies?