Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Typical
Mar 19, 2007

The best part of 206 was getting to design these mech suits Rick and Zeep built out of stuff they found in the jungle. Ricks suit is a variation on the dog mech and I wanted Zeeps to be inspired by a character in Dota called “Timbersaw” they went through a little bit of concept and a few gag ideas before we settled on exactly how it was going to play out. For this Episode I got to work with Director Dominic Polcino in order to figure out all the zany stuff that rick and Zeep would fight with.

We finally settled on the Snake and Hawk. Maximus Julius Pauson http://maximusjpauson.tumblr.com did all the final drawings of Zeeps/Colberts Suit, and I did the ones of Rick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Cool stuff as always. Typical, Typical.

I knew Zepp's suit looked familiar. Was the snake a reference to Get Schwifty or was it a coincidence?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I like that Colbert's animal compartment released a hawk, which was the animal that provided the screech that opened The Colbert Report.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Typical posted:

cool poo poo

Are you listed in the credits? Like does your name show up on TV?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yes it does.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

r0ck0 posted:

Are you listed in the credits? Like does your name show up on TV?

I'd hope so

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I dunno why, but I just like the detail that Zeep has to curl up his legs into a fetal position to properly sit in that wooden bucket/crow's nest of a cockpit.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CrazyLoon posted:

I dunno why, but I just like the detail that Zeep has to curl up his legs into a fetal position to properly sit in that wooden bucket/crow's nest of a cockpit.

It's adorable for some reason.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

is Zeep meant to be a dickhead

the veiny sketches make it even more apparent

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Excelzior posted:

Probably, since I now know that a little foreskin wraps over the memory parasite heads before the tentacles shoot out of their mouths. the art director's blog gets into....details

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Paladinus posted:

Cool stuff as always. Typical, Typical.

I knew Zepp's suit looked familiar. Was the snake a reference to Get Schwifty or was it a coincidence?

yes. at first i had it coming out of the arm. but the writers specifically asked for it to be in the leg so it would be a call back.

Excelzior posted:

I think so. not sure on this one but he does look like a giant walking green dick. I think he originally came from a concept for a floating head from the previous epsiode.

James Mcdermotts Designs for the heads

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Typical posted:

gonna be honest with you, if that flaming skull with gem eyes showed up it wouldn't even need to shout SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT to gain my devoted worship

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 10, 2015

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I kinda like the leafier mecha-suits. Was there debate about how obviously primitive and wooden to make them?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I absolutely loved those tree mech suits. They were one of the highlights of the episode for me.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Typical posted:

He was really in love with that pre-columbian carving look wasn't he.

Also Zeep. And those gems remind me of Stephen Universe.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Excelzior posted:

gonna be honest with you, if that flaming skull with gem eyes showed up it wouldn't even need to shout SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT to gain my devoted worship

Yeah, if I had to pick one of those giant heads to worship it would definitely be that guy/girl/whatever gender giant floating heads have.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

That one is CLEARLY a girl, you may read all about it in my upcoming fanfiction.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

"Girl" is far too passe a gender for a tumblr fanfic.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes
DMX brought me here

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Goddamnit.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Typical posted:

yes. at first i had it coming out of the arm. but the writers specifically asked for it to be in the leg so it would be a call back.

I think so. not sure on this one but he does look like a giant walking green dick. I think he originally came from a concept for a floating head from the previous epsiode.

Can you continue to post here even if the thread gets really lovely or antagonistic or you get really popular? Everything you post is cool and there's a long track record of goons forgetting the rest of us when they get busy.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

theflyingexecutive posted:

Can you continue to post here even if the thread gets really lovely or antagonistic or you get really popular? Everything you post is cool and there's a long track record of goons forgetting the rest of us when they get busy.

Never stop giving me attention, even when I'm terrible and no fun.
:goonsay:

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
im willing to bet roiland has an account here with a negative postcount

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

ElCondemn posted:

Never stop giving me attention, even when I'm terrible and no fun.
:goonsay:

Going for like a Sodom and Gomorrah thing, where you ignore the 100 trolls for the sake of the dozen cool dudes.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

theflyingexecutive posted:

Going for like a Sodom and Gomorrah thing, where you ignore the 100 trolls for the sake of the dozen cool dudes.

Sodom and Gomorrah were burned to the ground... not sure what you mean. Either way let us know when the cool dudes show up.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

ElCondemn posted:

Sodom and Gomorrah were burned to the ground... not sure what you mean. Either way let us know when the cool dudes show up.

There's a whole thing in the bible where Abraham was like "don't burn down Sodom if there are at least 10 good people there" but there weren't, so it's a bad metaphor I guess.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I could imagine this being a poster in some stoner's apartment.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

ElCondemn posted:

Sodom and Gomorrah were burned to the ground... not sure what you mean.

god already tried once to destroy something awful via hurricane katrina,

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Mutation posted:

I could imagine this being a poster in some stoner's apartment.

Not gonna lie, it'd make a pretty dope triptych poster...

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

The lemon juice gag is great, by the way :)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Nothing revelatory, but it's a fun article to read:

Dan Harmon on Rick And Morty: ‘It feels like I’m always referencing Hitchhiker’s Guide’

The show only recently arrived in the UK on Fox, and when I ask Harmon how he would pitch it to mostly oblivious Brits, he zeroes in on the influence of both Dahl and Douglas Adams. “In the writers’ room it feels like I’m always actively referencing some parallel from Hitchhiker’s Guide,” he says. “I think that’s where I learned everything about the concept of an infinite universe as entertainment, as it pertained emotionally to the common man. I don’t know if British people feel the same way about Adams as I found out they do about Ricky Gervais but I assume they still like Adams fine,” he says. “So I’d lead with that. And after that round of rear end-kissing, I would get really belligerent, then start throwing stuff around until I got bounced out of whatever pub we were in. Then I’d start crying and would confess I don’t really know what I’m talking about, I just try and sound smart when I drink.”

:allears:

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
For reference, this is Timbersaw's mech

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Excelzior posted:

On a somewhat serious tip, I used the "Schwifty" episode, after we'd watched it about 3 times, as a teaching moment for my 10yo son. We are not a religious household at all, and I explained to him how, sometimes, when people are scared, they will turn to a religion for comfort.... and sometimes, the one in charge will decide that others are inconvenient and start killing people, aka tying them up to balloons to float away. I told him to always be wary if someone says they are receiving instructions from god.

So you know, Father of the Year, here.

Show me what you got.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

GORDON posted:

On a somewhat serious tip, I used the "Schwifty" episode, after we'd watched it about 3 times, as a teaching moment for my 10yo son. We are not a religious household at all, and I explained to him how, sometimes, when people are scared, they will turn to a religion for comfort.... and sometimes, the one in charge will decide that others are inconvenient and start killing people, aka tying them up to balloons to float away. I told him to always be wary if someone says they are receiving instructions from god.

Show me what you got.

Yo you're loving weird man.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

GORDON posted:

Show me what you got.

Oh, you are going to ruin that kid, GORDON.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

GORDON posted:

Show me what you got.

That sounds like a nice thing to do for the kid.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

GORDON posted:

Show me what you got.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-kDR8CfUQE

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Sockser posted:

Yo you're loving weird man.

Nah gently caress that. You gotta get them thinking critically or they'll end up as Republicans.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Oh, you are going to ruin that kid, GORDON.

Finally, something we can agree on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Tying people to balloons is probably the most kid-friendly version of being killed for religious beliefs tho.

• Locked thread