Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

That's gotta be a write off, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea, I'd say so. That wing isn't easily replaceable.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
BA really wanted the first 777-9X anyway right? Look at them going the extra mile to get it :v:

Avherald has more photos and some staggeringly stupid comments, so basically "the internet as usual" http://avherald.com/h?article=48c10434&opt=0

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 9, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Uuuugh why did I read those?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Leather Bear posted:

I know! normally I know not to read comments but ugh you make a mistake one time

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
A high res version of that would be awesome.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Leather Bear posted:

what kind of low grade idiot detonates a bomb on a plane on the runway other than the whole Air India 301 thing

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what kind of low grade idiot detonates a bomb on a plane on the runway other than the whole Air India 301 thing

The same kind of low-grade idiot who is your average YouTube/news website commenter.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Not gonna lie, Im far from a plane expert and when yall get into your pilot talk i dont know what the gently caress. However every time there's a major air/space event I bee line here and ignore pretty much everywhere else. Mind boggling how unintelligent CNNs coverage of it was when I saw it on the TV at work this morning.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Yeah, avoid the outer world.. Just had a chat in the lunch room about how 'they' know where mh-370 is because they can track ships, how there's no way they could identify the part that washed up, and how the raaf are idiots for not letting an ex pilot uncle on base to tell them about the secret airfields he used to train from.

'They've got tracker things that break off when a ship sinks and can tell you where it is why can't planes' (cough cough conspiracy terrorist cough)

:goonsay:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Sanguine posted:

'They've got tracker things that break off when a ship sinks and can tell you where it is why can't planes' (cough cough conspiracy terrorist cough)

That would be a good idea though.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Why not just make the entire airplane out of what they use to make the black box? Those survive plane crashes, so therefore the entire plane could survive a plane crash no problem :downs:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

wonder how many injuries were from carry ons coming down the slides into the back of peoples heads

Seriously - the videos of the people walking around with their big rear end rolling carry on AND their handbag got the ol' DukeRage roiling there a bit. Leave your stupid loving bags behind and get off the god drat burning plane. :argh:

Oh yeah, anyone know what type/manufacturer of engine are/was on (now all over) that plane?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sanguine posted:

Are they thinking of AIS?

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Sanguine posted:

That is a thing on boats.

And we're headed that way with aircraft with 406mhz registered beacons. I'm pretty sure all the Malaysia plane had was an old 121.5 beacon though, which does not help unless someone already knows generally where to start looking for you.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Spaced God posted:

Why not just make the entire airplane out of what they use to make the black box? Those survive plane crashes, so therefore the entire plane could survive a plane crash no problem :downs:

But then we would never be able to find the plane.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Dannywilson posted:

That is a thing on boats.

And we're headed that way with aircraft with 406mhz registered beacons. I'm pretty sure all the Malaysia plane had was an old 121.5 beacon though, which does not help unless someone already knows generally where to start looking for you.

406 ELTs have been mandated in aviation for a while now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

Yeah, I thought Civilian passenger aircraft HAD to have 406 beacons?

I mean, naturally it doesn't matter if you are deep underwater. And the battery for the beacon only lasts a few hours.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, I thought Civilian passenger aircraft HAD to have 406 beacons?

Since 2009. Not only that, but COSPAS-SARSAT doesn't even listen on 121.5 anymore either.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

MrChips posted:

There are several generations of 406, not all of which have been forced onto all of the countries. Certainly the newest, which burst-transmits gps coords and doesn't just rely on sat-triangulation (older 406) aren't worldwide madated yet?

But who's to say that they were up on their battery time changes, actually did G-switch checks, and routinely tested their equipment functionality?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

Since 2009. Not only that, but COSPAS-SARSAT doesn't even listen on 121.5 anymore either.

I know a lot of military aircraft still carry 121.5 transmitters only. Dunno about civilian cargo.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

CommieGIR posted:

I know a lot of military aircraft still carry 121.5 transmitters only. Dunno about civilian cargo.

We all got kicked into the 406 world starting about 2 years ago. Mind you, the new ELT's still squawk on 121.5 and 243, but the primary locator is 406. Ask me about upgrading 23 aircraft and registering them all with NOAA over the course of 5 months! :suicide:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Dannywilson posted:

Ask me about upgrading 23 aircraft and registering them all with NOAA over the course of 5 months! :suicide:

Which part was the most painful?

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Which part was the most painful?

Making sure the same information and formatting was done for each plane and entering all that into NOAA's Web-0.1 site.... which has to be redone every 2 years. Oh, and their password requirements are pretty draconian.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Aeronautical Insanity: PYF Plane Butts

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I think people need to face the fact that the ocean is a mega huge place. We could've known exactly where the plane went down and still not find it by the time we got something out there to look. I think the fact that people have survived on life rafts give people hope about the ocean but poo poo you've got about just as much of a chance at survival as being in a huge desert. The ocean is scary man.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Duke Chin posted:

Seriously - the videos of the people walking around with their big rear end rolling carry on AND their handbag got the ol' DukeRage roiling there a bit. Leave your stupid loving bags behind and get off the god drat burning plane. :argh:

Oh yeah, anyone know what type/manufacturer of engine are/was on (now all over) that plane?

GE90s. It was a big deal when BA selected GE rather than RR back in the day.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

:doh: deeeeeeeeeeeerp that's right. For some reason I had it in my head that this was one of the planes that, some types have THESE engines, some types have theeeeeeese engines. Don't know why.

Ed: Oh yeah, heathrow and the 777 RR trent engine belly flop

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 10, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CommieGIR posted:

And military installations/aircraft still monitor it (not all aircraft, obviously).

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

BA took a good number of RR-powered -200ERs as well in addition to the other GE-powered variants (-200, -200ER and -300ER) they bought.

e:f,b

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Duke Chin posted:

:doh: deeeeeeeeeeeerp that's right. For some reason I had it in my head that this was one of the planes that, some types have THESE engines, some types have theeeeeeese engines. Don't know why.

Ed: Oh yeah, heathrow and the 777 RR trent engine belly flop

You mean the time the shutdown codes were inadvertently sent from the Tony Blair's plane. :tinfoil:

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Thanks to Nebakanezzer's monster airship effort-posts, I got this reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v64BBffYFtw

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R101

Also, if you haven't yet done so, listen to the new Maiden album. It's :black101: as.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

hobbesmaster posted:

You mean the time the shutdown codes were inadvertently sent from the Tony Blair's plane. :tinfoil:

wait I thought the ice crystals in the FOHE was from the plane in front of them putting out chemtrails??? :tinfoil::tinfoil:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Wingnut Ninja posted:

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Wingnut Ninja posted:

'dat

rear end

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Worm fans: NASA have released their 1976 graphics standards manual https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/nasa_graphics_manual_nhb_1430-2_jan_1976.pdf

Rude Dude With Tude fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Sep 10, 2015

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Someone quick post the F-4's happy face butt

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Yeah, it seems to be burking hard indeed.