Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wendell
May 11, 2003

Supercar Gautier posted:

Netflix is making great TV in just about every genre you can name. It's been a really good year for their original shows.

Everyone be sure to watch Ritchie Rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Wendell posted:

Everyone be sure to watch Ritchie Rich.

I had not heard of this but they seem to be capturing exactly how bad, dumb, and cheaply produced that type of live action DisneyXD-style show is, so I can't fault them for it.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

quote:

When Sony Pictures Entertainment decided to make a movie focusing on the death and dementia professional football players have endured from repeated hits to the head — and the N.F.L.’s efforts toward a cover-up — it signed Will Smith to star as one of the first scientists to disclose the problem. It named the film bluntly, “Concussion.”

In the end even Sony, which unlike most other major studios in Hollywood has no significant business ties to the N.F.L., found itself softening some points it might have made against the multibillion-dollar sports enterprise that controls the nation’s most-watched game.

In dozens of studio emails unearthed by hackers, Sony executives; the director, Peter Landesman; and representatives of Mr. Smith discussed how to avoid antagonizing the N.F.L. by altering the script and marketing the film more as a whistle-blower story, rather than a condemnation of football or the league.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/02/s...ref=sports&_r=0

Can't say any of this is surprising. Sadly.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Jack's Flow posted:

Can't say any of this is surprising. Sadly.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, I remember being super bummed out when I heard about this, but it's weird because I wonder what the specific changes were. I mean it says it's framed as more of a whistle-blower story than a condemnation of football or the league, but the trailer sure did make the NFL look bad and like the primary antagonist and afterwards everyone was like "Oh poo poo, the NFL must not be so happy about this".
I guess they looked even worse?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Yeah, I remember being super bummed out when I heard about this, but it's weird because I wonder what the specific changes were. I mean it says it's framed as more of a whistle-blower story than a condemnation of football or the league, but the trailer sure did make the NFL look bad and like the primary antagonist and afterwards everyone was like "Oh poo poo, the NFL must not be so happy about this".
I guess they looked even worse?

I'm just guessing here, but the idea is gross systematic negligence by the organization with regard to research done by Omalu and others for many years, consistently and purposefully ignored to maintain reputation and financial gain.

When the focus shifts to one researcher's race against the clock to get the word out about a new disease and his efforts to convince a few influential people of the validity of his work...that shifts the film's possible indictment, muzzles the impact, and undermines the severity of the findings (which are staggering in implication, culture-wide).

This could turn out to be wrong, of course and the film might have teeth in the end, but the NFL is on damage control right now and doing their best to money out of it retroactively.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Krampus trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6cVyoMH4QE

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I love the tale of Krampus and Venture Bros did it great. However, that trailer kind of sucks for several reasons. The copy is way too long and goes from uppercase to lowercase and the font they used sucks, the stop down for the box has virtually no payoff, the monster doesn't really get shown but two other monsters do? It needs to be funnier or scarier, it's walking a tight rope in the middle of the road. Just my thoughts, strictly from a producer's perspective. Plus why is this kid crying about his letter? Why does throwing the letter in the air summon Krampus to come punish the wicked? It's confusing and bad in my opinion.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 9, 2015

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yeah I wasn't feeling that trailer. Adam Scott seems miscast tbh.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I think it's gonna have quite a bit more comedy than it lets on, albeit dark comedy. So I think Scott actually might be on point.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
It's weird how the trailer starts out looking like a comedy, especially with Adam Scott and David Koechner, and then gets super serious. I feel like the actual movie might be more comedy than horror.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

kiimo posted:

I love the tale of Krampus and Venture Bros did it great. However, that trailer kind of sucks for several reasons. The copy is way too long and goes from uppercase to lowercase and the font they used sucks, the stop down for the box has virtually no payoff, the monster doesn't really get shown but two other monsters do? It needs to be funnier or scarier, it's walking a tight rope in the middle of the road. Just my thoughts, strictly from a producer's perspective. Plus why is this kid crying about his letter? Why does throwing the letter in the air summon Krampus to come punish the wicked? It's confusing and bad in my opinion.

This is 100% the problem with this trailer (and possibly movie).

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

A better looking horror film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4GaaT69VHo

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Terrence Malick's... Pokémon?

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Sep 10, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
yeah it's this but insert Charizard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXRYA1dxP_0

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I wonder if he ever feels like calling it quits when he watches advertisements like that. Imagine pouring your heart and soul into a film like The Tree of Life, and then being confronted by a legacy of filmmakers inspired by your work churning out inane shoe, and car, and loving pokemon commercials.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Sep 10, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm still waiting to see if Knight of Cups is any good. Shouldn't that be out already?
Guess we gotta wait till 2016. :v:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

High Warlord Zog posted:

I wonder if he ever feels like calling it quits when he watches advertisements like that. Imagine pouring your heart and soul into a film like The Tree of Life, and then being confronted by a legacy of filmmakers inspired by your work churning out inane shoe, and car, and loving pokemon commercials.

Did he really pour his heart into the movie? Because it really didn't feel like it watching it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Did he really pour his heart into the movie? Because it really didn't feel like it watching it.

He probably did. The subject matter seemed very personal.

Also it was great.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

LesterGroans posted:

He probably did. The subject matter seemed very personal.

Also it was great.

"Empty" and "Soulless" are the first two words that come to mind when thinking about Tree of Life.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

One of the best trailers ever.

MonsieurChoc posted:

MonsieurChoc posted:

"Empty" and "Soulless" are the first two words that come to mind when thinking about Tree of Life.

They're all gonna laugh at you, bro

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

second-hand smegma posted:

They're all gonna laugh at you, bro

Okay. I tried watching Tree of Life and it wasn't very good but that's just my opinion. I thought it was empty, soulless, devoid of any kind of meaning. It was pretentious, in the sense that it pretended to be a smart movie but was actually just another movie about a bad relationship between father and son, in the most boringly cliché way possible.

If some people like it and think it's brilliant, good for them. I can't loving see why though.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I liked the shot of the playing children's shadows from a really weird angle where I guess he hung a camera and shot through his legs? But otherwise I agreed with the nutter a few seats from me who polished off a meal deal and then left an hour and a half in.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

This looks like good fun.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

As a fan of both pokemon and Malick I appreciate this, and I'm going to be very disappointed if this commercial is not a literal depiction of how the game works, including 3D projections and a packed city square cheering for me when I catch Mewtwo.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Syncopated posted:

As a fan of both pokemon and Malick I appreciate this, and I'm going to be very disappointed if this commercial is not a literal depiction of how the game works, including 3D projections and a packed city square cheering for me when I catch Mewtwo.

Why everyone gotta beat up on mewtwo?

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
What fresh hell is this?

Hell and Back

:nws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXIPHaRq6WU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Mr. Squishy posted:

I liked the shot of the playing children's shadows from a really weird angle where I guess he hung a camera and shot through his legs? But otherwise I agreed with the nutter a few seats from me who polished off a meal deal and then left an hour and a half in.

Wow they lasted an hour and a half? I only got forty five in.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

They got Paul F. Tompkins and they didn't give him one of the main roles? What the hell!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Alehkhs posted:

What fresh hell is this?

Hell and Back

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
An R-rated stop-motion comedy written by Zeb Wells with an amazing voice cast? I'm tentatively down. Trailer is kinda eh, but I'm not sure if it'll be entirely representative- if nothing else, the animation is really nice.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I don't know if I've ever wanted to see a movie less than I want to see that movie.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

LORD OF BUTT posted:

An R-rated stop-motion comedy written by Zeb Wells with an amazing voice cast? I'm tentatively down. Trailer is kinda eh, but I'm not sure if it'll be entirely representative- if nothing else, the animation is really nice.

Yeah. but Nick Swardson... :smith:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Asiina posted:

I don't know if I've ever wanted to see a movie less than I want to see that movie.
I definitely want to see Deadpool less. Someone save T.J. Miller.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I hope Deadpool bombs worse than Fantastic Four.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I hope not, because the lesson that the studio will take will consist, in part, of "midrange movies aren't worth it"

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
You want a trailer?
Yakuza Apocalypse
Five guys fight :frogout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A37ad4V7Zb4

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 11, 2015

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Alehkhs posted:

What fresh hell is this?

Hell and Back

Orpheus as a stoner puppet show? :wtf:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Alehkhs posted:

What fresh hell is this?

Hell and Back

This looks like the kind-of thing I'd find in a Blockbuster aisle back in 2000 at age 13 thinking "wait those guys made this?"

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

No chance. Deadpool is catnip for "casual fans."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

This looks like the kind-of thing I'd find in a Blockbuster aisle back in 2000 at age 13 thinking "wait those guys made this?"
I was thinking the exact same thing actually, it's like in a time capsule, especially what with the crappy song at the end.

• Locked thread