Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

space-man
Jan 3, 2007
a man, like any other... but in space!
i have never heard of foodfight. i have now watched the trailer several times and will do whatever i can to see this abomination asap. it looks terrible. it reminds me of the animation in reboot. only reboot was made late 90s and was a tv show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

space-man posted:

i have never heard of foodfight. i have now watched the trailer several times and will do whatever i can to see this abomination asap. it looks terrible. it reminds me of the animation in reboot. only reboot was made late 90s and was a tv show.

No don't.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Do not stare too long into the abyss

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Foodfight is very bad, and not the enjoyable kind of bad.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Sorry this thread has just convinced me to watch Foodfight

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Chichevache posted:

I didn't know his actual name, but I understood his post.

When he said Bubbles I didn't know if he meant the one from The Wire or the one from Trailer Park Boys, or which one would be better.

Erebus posted:

Godspeed.

e. The semi-ironic fandom that has sprung up around Foodfight and the startlingly competent fanart is almost as baffling as the movie itself.

Sleeveless fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 10, 2015

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Who doesn't love Ron Perlman, I sadly haven't seen Andre Royo have a role outside Bubbles that lasted longer then ten minutes.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
A while ago, someone recommended me a movie about a haunted apartment that was a better Silent Hill movie than any of the Silent Hill movies. Today I went on Netflix and tried to find out what it was. I can say for certain that it is not Apartment 1303 3D. That movie is straight up trash. I just found out it's a US remake of a Japanese movie. The main character's sister rents this apartment and immediately the horror cliches start. A creepy little girl warns her to GET OUT, and just spits out the exposition that a woman killed herself in her new apartment. The sister gets loving thrown across the room by a ghost, wakes up, looks at her sleeping pills, and decides that being tossed across an apartment by a ghost is a side effect. She even says this out loud, as she does every thought that comes into her head. The director decided that since there's like a five minute stretch where she's alone in an apartment, she should talk to herself non-stop.

I turned it off and realized it was 1408, and it was just short of incredible. It's based on a Stephen King story, and stars John Cusack and - strangely enough - Samuel L. Jackson, who is so underused his role could have been filled by almost any actor. The first half hour really sets up the dread of this apartment, and then the rest of the movie is a non-stop Silent Hill-esque ride. There's not much to the plot other than "Man goes into haunted apartment and confronts his inner demons," but it was a hell of a ride wondering what horrible thing was going to happen to him next. At one point I felt like so many evil things had happened that the movie must be over soon, only to look and see that there was still about an hour left.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

BJPaskoff posted:

A while ago, someone recommended me a movie about a haunted apartment that was a better Silent Hill movie than any of the Silent Hill movies. Today I went on Netflix and tried to find out what it was. I can say for certain that it is not Apartment 1303 3D. That movie is straight up trash. I just found out it's a US remake of a Japanese movie. The main character's sister rents this apartment and immediately the horror cliches start. A creepy little girl warns her to GET OUT, and just spits out the exposition that a woman killed herself in her new apartment. The sister gets loving thrown across the room by a ghost, wakes up, looks at her sleeping pills, and decides that being tossed across an apartment by a ghost is a side effect. She even says this out loud, as she does every thought that comes into her head. The director decided that since there's like a five minute stretch where she's alone in an apartment, she should talk to herself non-stop.

I dunno, that about sounds on par for a Silent Hill story.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

wyoming posted:

I dunno, that about sounds on par for a Silent Hill story.

The movies, maybe. Not the games.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

BJPaskoff posted:

I turned it off and realized it was 1408, and it was just short of incredible. It's based on a Stephen King story, and stars John Cusack and - strangely enough - Samuel L. Jackson, who is so underused his role could have been filled by almost any actor. The first half hour really sets up the dread of this apartment, and then the rest of the movie is a non-stop Silent Hill-esque ride. There's not much to the plot other than "Man goes into haunted apartment and confronts his inner demons," but it was a hell of a ride wondering what horrible thing was going to happen to him next. At one point I felt like so many evil things had happened that the movie must be over soon, only to look and see that there was still about an hour left.

I've hesitated to watch this because the short story is really fantastic and a candidate for Stephen King's best writing. Not that the prose is anything special, but the subtlety in how the room slowly but inexorably weaves its spell is handled so, so well and just based on the trailer it looked more vulgar, for lack of a better term.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

regulargonzalez posted:

I've hesitated to watch this because the short story is really fantastic and a candidate for Stephen King's best writing. Not that the prose is anything special, but the subtlety in how the room slowly but inexorably weaves its spell is handled so, so well and just based on the trailer it looked more vulgar, for lack of a better term.

That was my fear too, but I really, really, enjoyed 1408 the movie. I'd say check it out if you can.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

regulargonzalez posted:

It's a great movie. It's not scary in a traditional horror sense, but it's just really oppressively frightening.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Dear White People was good. It's pretty funny at times and has a good story, but it's primarily a drama. Also I love anything with Veronica Mars alums and Kyle Gallner and Tessa Whatsherface are very good in it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

It does start off subtle, doing things that could be easily explained by tricks from the hotel staff, and then turns up the insanity. I didn't watch the trailer, but I can bet it shows stuff from the later half of the movie, because there's nothing exciting about the toilet paper roll suddenly being neatly replaced.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Finally got around to watching Lord of War after adding it to my queue weeks ago and reeeeeally enjoyed it. Thanks streaming thread!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is this 1408 you guys are talking about streaming anywhere?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

NESguerilla posted:

Is this 1408 you guys are talking about streaming anywhere?

It's available for rent from Amazon but it's not on US Netflix.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Season 4 of Longmire is out and so far it's the best season yet. It's always been a slower show, so giving it another 10-15 minutes an episode and not having to build dramatic beats around commercials has lead to a huge uptick in quality.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Season 4 of Longmire is out and so far it's the best season yet. It's always been a slower show, so giving it another 10-15 minutes an episode and not having to build dramatic beats around commercials has lead to a huge uptick in quality.

How was the show before that? GF loves everything nature/horses/outdoor Wyoming. Not a big procedural fan, but DOES have a Starbuck crush so maybe she'll stick through with it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pander posted:

How was the show before that? GF loves everything nature/horses/outdoor Wyoming. Not a big procedural fan, but DOES have a Starbuck crush so maybe she'll stick through with it.

I liked it. S1 is more of a procedural, but 2 and 3 put more emphasis on an overarching story with a case of the week type thing. S4 doesn't even bother with a case of the week for the first 3 episodes, and it's all about the main plot. The tensions between the department and the reservation are really well done, too. And some GORGEOUS shots of New Mexico posing as Wyoming that actually manages to mostly look like the real thing.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

Sarchasm posted:

It's available for rent from Amazon but it's not on US Netflix.

It's available through Netflix DVD

Decent movie, kind of weirdly shot and full of cliches though. Watch Oculus instead.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Erebus posted:

Please report back with your impressions when done.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Started up the ol' Roku to watch this 1408 movie everyone is talking about that I assume is terrible and lo and behold it's not actually streaming

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
1408 was very common, and you can probably snag a copy for less than $5 at a thrift store, or Walmart in a month.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
1408 the short story was one of the last things to scare the living gently caress out of me. I think I was 11 and I had been chewing through everything Stephen King had ever written. The Shining had creeped me out (I read it in a hotel) but even though I was a kid nothing really got to me.

Then I read 1408.

I was so worried that the movie was gonna be trash, thank god it actually turned out good. I love the changes they made because it kept the whole thing fresh to me, even after I read the story over and over. It's cool to see a big-budget horror movie adaptation done so well, and along with The Mist makes me wonder why we abandoned the early 2000's trend of making great movies out of King's short stories rather than his books.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm still waiting on Darabont's The Long Walk.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
More like The Long Pre-Production Cycle!

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

So I just watched White God

Have you ever watched a movie and been super super loving frustrated about how cool it COULD HAVE been? Then don't watch White God, because that is basically the hair-pulling feeling throughout.

So the movie is about a pack of around 100 dogs that go ballistic in a city - and it isn't shot like a creature feature. Oh, and most of the movie is a slow build. That sounds loving awesome, right?

The main issue I had is that this film anthropomorphizes the dogs to the point where it ceases to have meaning. These are Lady and the Tramp dogs that just lack the ability to speak. There is no interesting pack-dynamic, or animal psychology at play. You wanna see a dog bark once and have that translate to "move out, troops?" you wanna see the one "innocent" dog that never turns to the pack lead our heroes to safety and save another dog from an evil butcher (what?)? You wanna see a dog that manages to find its abuser in an entire city full of people and kill them in a really cathartic way? There is no loving subtlety in the last quarter of this movie, and it really doesn't gel with anything that came before.

And if you wanna make a silly movie about the super smart people-dogs that go crazy, sure! But this movie has some VIOLENT loving kills, so it reeks less of aiming for a wide audience and more like just easy, lazy writing.

It also doesn't help that the lead girl has some just terrible acting. She's meant to be totally devoted to her dog to a crazy degree but every line read she gives in regard to it is just FLAT. At one point she was so obsessed I thought the movie was actually hinting at her having a psychic connection to it, or that that's where the "White God" comes from, but... No, not really - it isn't even hinted at enough to be cool.

All this said, even if what they're doing is silly, there is some TERRIFIC animal training/acting on display here. Seriously, some of the best ever put on film. The tragedy is the spectacle just doesn't work because it's such a tonal mess. I REALLY really wanted to love this movie, and even the scenes that would have been cool devoid of context just felt lame when they came around.

if you got netflix, do yourself a favour and watch the intro to this movie. First few minutes, I think, before the cut. THAT is one amazing opening. After that, though, back and go watch the similarly titled and infinitely better film WHITE DOG. Seriously, it's on Netflix and is a far more tense, intelligent, meaningful and engaging killer dog story.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Well, for one, there's a problem of advertising. White God was sold as a film about some sort of dog revolution, but it turns out it's a fairy tale akin to Babe where the supposed uprising only concerns the very last act of the film, and we are given clear visual information displaying how the dogs are, in fact, not actually engaged in an overthrow of all humanity, and that this is just media hyperbole (both within and outside of the film).

In a rudimentary sense, the film is about how the human characters project political and interpersonal consciousness onto the dogs. The 'real story' is that the dogs merely behave aggressively towards figures that endanger them or hold them captive. By making things 'political' (like, by making it seem that the dogs have become racist against white people... I, I mean humans), society obfuscates what is actually a very clear hierarchal caste system where the untouchable 'mongrels' are systematically and automatically abused, and where the perpetrators of this violence are essentially the 'humanity' that is superficially defined as more civilized or superior.

The 'White God' of the title doesn't refer to either Hagen nor Lili exclusively, although the 'lily white' name of the girl is a dead giveaway, as is her use of a magical trumpet to quell the dog riot, of her connection to it. Rather, 'White God' refers to the cruel, seemingly arbitrary nature of oppression, but also the 'universe' as it extends from whoever sits at the top of the hierarchy.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Calico Heart posted:

After that, though, back and go watch the similarly titled and infinitely better film WHITE DOG. Seriously, it's on Netflix and is a far more tense, intelligent, meaningful and engaging killer dog story.

I just checked, White Dog isn't on there. Been meaning to see it.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

morestuff posted:

I just checked, White Dog isn't on there. Been meaning to see it.

It might be on Hulu, because it is a criterion.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

If you want to check out a cool anime but aren't into the ones that tread heavy in the tropes/creepy pedo stuff, check out Mushi Shi on Netflix. Each episode is a story about a doctor who travels a fantasy historical Japan curing people possessed by spirits named Mushi. It's slow-paced, meditative, beautifully drawn, and deep in places.

It uses this song as an opener if you need any more convincing that it isn't standard stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsP_P9Mn2qE

Are there any other series on Netflix that are similar in tone?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

comingafteryouall posted:

If you want to check out a cool anime but aren't into the ones that tread heavy in the tropes/creepy pedo stuff, check out Mushi Shi on Netflix. Each episode is a story about a doctor who travels a fantasy historical Japan curing people possessed by spirits named Mushi. It's slow-paced, meditative, beautifully drawn, and deep in places.

It uses this song as an opener if you need any more convincing that it isn't standard stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsP_P9Mn2qE

Are there any other series on Netflix that are similar in tone?

Spice and Wolf broadly speaking has a pretty similar tone, while also having some other really neat things in it. For one thing it teaches you a poo poo load about what being a traveling merchant in feudal Japan was like.

It's not on streaming anymore, but it used to be, maybe use Hola and check other countries.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

precision posted:

"maybe use Hola"
DON'T USE HOLA
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2928340/ultra-popular-hola-vpn-extension-sold-your-bandwidth-for-use-in-a-botnet-attack.html

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 12, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Oh, well gently caress.

Is there a decent alternative?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I've used Vypr VPN, and now I'm using PIA (Private Internet Access). Both have worked great for me and don't cost a ridiculous amount. Try a bunch out and see if any of the sites you use have issues before you drop any cash though.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
A Most Violent Year is up on Amazon Prime, it's great. It's the best thing Oscar Isaac's done, and I'm enjoying Al Brooks' late-period gangster phase. Between this and All is Lost I'm really interested to see what J.C. Chandler does next.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
What are some good 80's As gently caress movies on Netlfix?

Or the best movies of the 80's on Netflix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

What are some good 80's As gently caress movies on Netlfix?

Or the best movies of the 80's on Netflix?

80s as gently caress: BMX Bandits.
http://www.sbnation.com/2013/12/13/5179966/bmx-bandits-review-nicole-kidman-80s

Best of the 80s: Big Trouble in Little China

There's plenty of good stuff on there though: Ferris Bueller, Terminator, First Blood, Heathers, Monster Squad, This is Spinal Tap, Top Gun, Bill & Ted, Coming to America.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 12, 2015