Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Jerusalem posted:

The villain literally being one of the greatest geniuses of all time but constantly belittled because he didn't have real superpowers didn't exactly endear me to the superheroes.
Eh, that's how he saw it, maybe, but it's not exactly what really happens. The problem comes from him trying to declare himself to be the guy's 'ward,' and then making things massively worse when he displays his technological prowess for the first time.

I don't remember if there's actual belittling later, but if there is, one must remember that it's in a context where he's a scheming, megalomaniacal villain. So a bit of needling is not particularly inappropriate.

Strudel Man has a new favorite as of 09:04 on Sep 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Jerusalem posted:

The villain literally being one of the greatest geniuses of all time but constantly belittled because he didn't have real superpowers didn't exactly endear me to the superheroes.

He was belittled because he was a creepy stalker kid who was putting himself in danger by interfering with situations that put him way over his head.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

An irritating moment (irrationally too, so it fits!) is in Superman : Doomsday. It's an animated movie where Superman fights, surprise, Doomsday. In the middle of the big fight, he grabs him in a full nelson and hauls him into space and instead of lobbing him into the sun or throwing him into the moon or something, he SUPLEXES HIM BACK INTO THE CITY. Dude loving craters the city he's trying to save for... gently caress I dunno what kinda reason he would have.

You should watch Justice League: War. Superman attacks green lantern in the middle of a city and batman (to 'see what he can do'), and acts like a douchebag in general. That whole movie had irritatingly stupid lines and characterization.

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 10:50 on Sep 8, 2015

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

He was belittled because he was a creepy stalker kid who was putting himself in danger by interfering with situations that put him way over his head.

And could have hurt a lot of other people. So no, the message really isn't quite there that techno geeks can't be heroes. You just can't be an rear end in a top hat and always putting yourself and others in harm's way to Be a Hero. That was one thing I liked about Megamind: the idiot Titan thought that because he was the hero by default, he'd get the girl and respect and everyone would love him, without any loving clue as to WHY. If I remember right, doesn't he fly around the female lead and puts her in danger constantly in that flight but ignores it because "you're so grateful and in love with me that I'm saving your life!"

It doesn't count if you put it in danger in the first place!

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Strudel Man posted:

Eh, that's how he saw it, maybe, but it's not exactly what really happens. The problem comes from him trying to declare himself to be the guy's 'ward,' and then making things massively worse when he displays his technological prowess for the first time.

I don't remember if there's actual belittling later, but if there is, one must remember that it's in a context where he's a scheming, megalomaniacal villain. So a bit of needling is not particularly inappropriate.

He's also extremely rich and successful.

But I do agree that the Incredibles has a sort of "Don't let he normals hold you back" vibe.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Just saw It Follows

Boy, the tonal shift in this movie was a real bummer. We went from implacable, unstoppable demon-thing to "hey, I'll just stand here on the roof, its cool, oh and maybe throw some things at you or whatever". Mythology matters, goddammit. It went from really great to merely ok for me.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Elissimpark posted:

Ugh, I'd forgotten about this. Why would you make a Robin Hood film with LITTLE TO NO ARCHERY. THAT IS HIS THING.

The scene that still winds me up 5 years after I last saw it is when the Sherrif puts up the wanted poster.

He slams the poster onto the tree, then turns to the crowd of assorted peasants "A hammer if you please. And a nail"

I mean what the gently caress was he planning to do if none of them had any? Was he just going to stand there while they rifle through their pockets and run home to fetch one? Why will this random mixture of people who hate him help him put up a poster of a guy they idolise?

It's such a clumsy set up for Robin to shoot the poster, and it's painful.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Elissimpark posted:

This. I remember the sheriff being introduced and thinking he seemed an interesting character - like he wasn't EVIL evil, just a bureaucrat in a poo poo situation, from memory. Then nothing.

Boo.

They gave pretty much everything that would normally fall on the Sheriff of Nottingham role to Mark Strong's Sir Godfrey. I'm not sure why they just didn't do a thing where they have King John appoint him Sheriff when he got to England.

Strudel Man posted:

He screws up with his gadgets but then Mr. Incredible does a really poor job of explaining why he shouldn't help, basically saying that because he doesn't have powers he should go away.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Away all Goats posted:

You should watch Justice League: War. Superman attacks green lantern in the middle of a city and batman (to 'see what he can do'), and acts like a douchebag in general. That whole movie had irritatingly stupid lines and characterization.

Yea, that's the New 52 ALL BETTER NOW AIN'T IT? DC universe.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Yea, that's the New 52 ALL BETTER NOW AIN'T IT? DC universe.

The one in which Lois and Clark are no longer together, Superman is sleeping with Wonder Woman, and Lois outed Superman's secret identity to the world.

While Supes was depowered.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
My favourite batman film is the 1966 Adam West one. Can we have more funny superhero films please? Even loving daredevil is all grimdark with RADICAL flips and poo poo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Polaron posted:

The one in which Lois and Clark are no longer together, Superman is sleeping with Wonder Woman, and Lois outed Superman's secret identity to the world.

While Supes was depowered.

Before New 52 Superman was leading a planet of other Supermen on the other side of the sun.

It's a positive change.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The scene that still winds me up 5 years after I last saw it is when the Sherrif puts up the wanted poster.

He slams the poster onto the tree, then turns to the crowd of assorted peasants "A hammer if you please. And a nail"

I mean what the gently caress was he planning to do if none of them had any? Was he just going to stand there while they rifle through their pockets and run home to fetch one? Why will this random mixture of people who hate him help him put up a poster of a guy they idolise?

It's such a clumsy set up for Robin to shoot the poster, and it's painful.

My favourite Robin Hood moment is from the Kevin Costner one. It's been a while since I've seen it. Near the beginning of the film there's a child being chased by soldiers and he goes up a tree. The soldier is about to swing his axe for the first time to knock it down, but all of the sudden, Robin Hood comes to rescue the child. The tree was very thick and someone would need to have chopped for at least 10 minutes to knock it down so I found it kind of funny that they tried to build the tension up for just one swipe of an axe.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ego-bot posted:

My favourite Robin Hood moment is from the Kevin Costner one. It's been a while since I've seen it. Near the beginning of the film there's a child being chased by soldiers and he goes up a tree. The soldier is about to swing his axe for the first time to knock it down, but all of the sudden, Robin Hood comes to rescue the child. The tree was very thick and someone would need to have chopped for at least 10 minutes to knock it down so I found it kind of funny that they tried to build the tension up for just one swipe of an axe.

My favorite Robin Hood moment was all of Men in Tights.

Especially the "Help, I can't swim!" Little Jon scene, directly parodying Costner's film.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

ElGroucho posted:

Just saw It Follows

Boy, the tonal shift in this movie was a real bummer. We went from implacable, unstoppable demon-thing to "hey, I'll just stand here on the roof, its cool, oh and maybe throw some things at you or whatever". Mythology matters, goddammit. It went from really great to merely ok for me.

It stands on the roof because it was in pursuit but they started to speed away. It's not stupid, it knows it can't catch up right away and part of the rules is that it only walks. It throws the appliances in the pool to try to electrocute Jay because it recognizes their plan. It's not explicitly stated but IT doesn't like water. When they finally get it in the pool and manage a headshot, the whole pool fills with an ENORMOUS swirling cloud of blood. It implies that it is dead (considering all previous physical injuries, including a headshot, only dazed it). The figure in the last scene isn't necessarily IT but MAYBE

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Ryoshi posted:

Another thing that bugs me is in Rocking the Casbah during the second verse there's that annoying little beepy sound that doesn't jive with the rest of the track. Not a movie but I have it stuck in my head and had to bitch somewhere. :(

- The song is "Rock the Casbah" (sorry but that irrationally irritated me)
- It's only on some album versions of the song
- It's supposed to be Mick Jone's Casio watch, and is obviously just meant to be stupid and fun, so it owns

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

It stands on the roof because it was in pursuit but they started to speed away. It's not stupid, it knows it can't catch up right away and part of the rules is that it only walks. It throws the appliances in the pool to try to electrocute Jay because it recognizes their plan. It's not explicitly stated but IT doesn't like water. When they finally get it in the pool and manage a headshot, the whole pool fills with an ENORMOUS swirling cloud of blood. It implies that it is dead (considering all previous physical injuries, including a headshot, only dazed it). The figure in the last scene isn't necessarily IT but MAYBE

Why not go to the Philippines?

Also, if this thing is contagious, what if 3 billion theoretical people lined up and hosed each other in a row? Does this thing have to travel all the way to the back of the line and start there? Does that make this thing grumpy?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

sharktamer posted:

My favourite batman film is the 1966 Adam West one. Can we have more funny superhero films please? Even loving daredevil is all grimdark with RADICAL flips and poo poo.

Wait, you say that like you were expecting Daredevil to be the funny marvel property. Considering that Daredevils most well known run is Frank Miller thats a really odd assumption to make. Like, I dont necessarily disagree with your general point; Ant-man was a half decent heist movie that happened to be about a guy with a powered suit, GotG was a space opera that happened to be in the same universe as the avengers, there is no reason that they cant go with an out and out comedy, there are characters who would lend themselves well to a movie that was funny without just awkwardly poking fun at superhero cliches. But that was never going to be daredevil. And in any case, I think you have to go some to see marvels cinematic output as grimdark. Daredevil is probably the "Grim 'n Gritty"-est of the properties so far, and compared to the mood DC seem to be shooting for with their movies its sunshine and lollypops.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

People don't want funny, they want RICHARD PARKER

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

muscles like this? posted:

He screws up with his gadgets but then Mr. Incredible does a really poor job of explaining why he shouldn't help, basically saying that because he doesn't have powers he should go away.
No, he doesn't. Buddy asks if it's because he doesn't have powers, but Mr. Incredible just says he works alone.

quote:

Buddy: Hey, hey! Aren't you curious about how I get around so fast? See? I have these rocket boots!
Mr. Incredible: Go home, Buddy.
Buddy: What?
Mr. Incredible: Now.
Bomb Voyage: [French] Little oaf.
Buddy: Can we talk?
[pulls Mr. Incredible off to the side]
Buddy: You always, always say "Be true to yourself," but you never say which part of yourself to be true to! Well, I finally figured out who I am: I am your ward. IncrediBoy!
Mr. Incredible: And now, you have officially carried it too far, Buddy.
Buddy: This is because I don't have powers, isn't it? Well, not every superhero has powers, you know. You *can* be super without them. I *invented* these.
[points to his rocket boots]
Buddy: I can fly! Can you fly?
Mr. Incredible: Fly home, Buddy. I work alone.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

ElGroucho posted:

Why not go to the Philippines?

Also, if this thing is contagious, what if 3 billion theoretical people lined up and hosed each other in a row? Does this thing have to travel all the way to the back of the line and start there? Does that make this thing grumpy?

The whole ruleset is vague on purpose but the director did say that it's smart enough to board a plane, which would be easy because it's invisible to almost everyone. It acts like a zombie but hides a sinister intelligence.
Yes, theoretically, the safest course of action would be to have everyone gently caress and then zig-zag the planet. Or I suppose one person could move across the globe every few months.
The viewer has just as much information as the teenagers have gleaned so they may be wrong or not know the whole scope. The movie isn't about a global consequence, it's about some teenagers dealing with an enormous responsibility and whether or not they will pass that burden to someone else (OMG it's like it's a metaphor for teenage sex and STIs).

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
The solution is to have sex with a prostitute near a major airport. Even if the creature catches up to a John the prostitute will sleep with someone else before the thing comes back.

Plus the type of person who sleeps with a prostitute is likely to sleep with another soon in a different town.

No I haven't thought about this too much.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Pook Good Mook posted:

The solution is to have sex with a prostitute near a major airport. Even if the creature catches up to a John the prostitute will sleep with someone else before the thing comes back.

Plus the type of person who sleeps with a prostitute is likely to sleep with another soon in a different town.

Then it just goes from door to door murdering everyone but the virgins.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

good

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Slime posted:

Then it just goes from door to door murdering everyone but the virgins.

So D&D will still be active?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pook Good Mook posted:

Just go t a gang bang or an orgy.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Elissimpark posted:

This. I remember the sheriff being introduced and thinking he seemed an interesting character - like he wasn't EVIL evil, just a bureaucrat in a poo poo situation, from memory. Then nothing.

Boo.

The version of the Sherriff in Robin and Marion was really great like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ubpQE2IrG0

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Pook Good Mook posted:

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Just go t a gang bang or an orgy.

The thing is though, if you gently caress a stranger you will never know when/if they get killed by it. You will still have to live looking over your shoulder always because it will eventually lead back to you.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

Isn't there a bit where Mr Incredible basically admits he was wrong for snapping at Buddy but it doesn't mean Buddy can blame him for his actions? Plus I think you're supposed to sympathize with him having such a crappy day at the start.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The indie horror movie Pod, outside of the cliché-heavy story in general, has one that really irrationally bothers me.

The central theme of the movie is making the audience wonder if the Crazy Guy actually has A Something in his basement or not. He calls it a Pod.

The irrationally annoying thing comes in the reveal. There's no Pod. There's a monster/alien/thing down there, of course, but there's nothing down there to explain why the Crazy Guy calls it a Pod. It's like the writers wrote the story, pulled a noun out of nowhere for the title, then had a character title-drop the term. Which is not all surprising, given how much of a retread the central plot is.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

WeAreTheRomans posted:

- The song is "Rock the Casbah" (sorry but that irrationally irritated me)
- It's supposed to be Mick Jone's Casio watch, and is obviously just meant to be stupid and fun, so it owns

I heard somewhere that it was Paul Simonon's watch. They threw that in there because he didn't get to play anything on the song, as Topper Headon had already knocked out most of it by the time the others bothered to arrive at the studio.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I've literally never heard a version without it and it's on the radio all the time.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

MisterBibs posted:

The indie horror movie Pod, outside of the cliché-heavy story in general, has one that really irrationally bothers me.

The central theme of the movie is making the audience wonder if the Crazy Guy actually has A Something in his basement or not. He calls it a Pod.

The irrationally annoying thing comes in the reveal. There's no Pod. There's a monster/alien/thing down there, of course, but there's nothing down there to explain why the Crazy Guy calls it a Pod. It's like the writers wrote the story, pulled a noun out of nowhere for the title, then had a character title-drop the term. Which is not all surprising, given how much of a retread the central plot is.

Haven't seen it, but maybe it was a pod, then it hatched?

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

SiKboy posted:

Wait, you say that like you were expecting Daredevil to be the funny marvel property. Considering that Daredevils most well known run is Frank Miller thats a really odd assumption to make. Like, I dont necessarily disagree with your general point; Ant-man was a half decent heist movie that happened to be about a guy with a powered suit, GotG was a space opera that happened to be in the same universe as the avengers, there is no reason that they cant go with an out and out comedy, there are characters who would lend themselves well to a movie that was funny without just awkwardly poking fun at superhero cliches. But that was never going to be daredevil. And in any case, I think you have to go some to see marvels cinematic output as grimdark. Daredevil is probably the "Grim 'n Gritty"-est of the properties so far, and compared to the mood DC seem to be shooting for with their movies its sunshine and lollypops.

Oh poo poo, I meant Deadpool.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Crime TV shows that never bring backup for the important bits.

I've seen it happen in plenty of CSI episodes, whenever they finally track the real bad guy down it's always one or two people who will be on the scene.

But whenever it's a herring they always bring a drat platoon of people.

Also, in the show Criminal minds, 80% of the time the show is in a world where nobody has decent lightning, like everything is dark and nobody turns a drat light on.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Pixeltendo posted:

Crime TV shows that never bring backup for the important bits.

I've seen it happen in plenty of CSI episodes, whenever they finally track the real bad guy down it's always one or two people who will be on the scene.

But whenever it's a herring they always bring a drat platoon of people.

Also, in the show Criminal minds, 80% of the time the show is in a world where nobody has decent lightning, like everything is dark and nobody turns a drat light on.

True Detective 2 has an amazing scene where a coked up Colin Farrell goes it alone into a crime scene and upon realizing that the blood on the floor and sex swing mean this is where the dude bought it, holsters his weapon and starts poking around this house with no regard for the situation, various rooms he'd not looked into, doors unsecured, hurrr a video camera I am the true dick One of the many infuriating bits in that show.

To quote a line from Se7en "SWAT before dicks!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

syscall girl posted:

True Detective 2 has an amazing scene where a coked up Colin Farrell goes it alone into a crime scene and upon realizing that the blood on the floor and sex swing mean this is where the dude bought it, holsters his weapon and starts poking around this house with no regard for the situation, various rooms he'd not looked into, doors unsecured, hurrr a video camera I am the true dick One of the many infuriating bits in that show.

In I think the penultimate episode, an ex-soldier moves through underground tunnels efficiently taking out a squad of killers by using cover, distractions and constantly checking on his surroundings before making a move. When he gets to the final door to freedom, he puts his gun away, pulls out his phone and casually walks through the door without checking any corners and SURPRISE he got shot by a guy in the corner who was waiting for him!

Season 2 was such a disappointment, it couldn't even be stupidly terrible in a trainwreck fashion, it was just kinda mediocre and by the numbers to the point it might as well have been a network drama.

SomeIdiot
Apr 2, 2014

sharktamer posted:

Oh poo poo, I meant Deadpool.

How grim, with Deadpool doodling pictures with some crayons. And when I hear Salt n' Pepa, I definitely think of dark.
No though, seriously? Is it specifically because it's action-y and flippy looking? Because that's been his thing longer than being funny has been.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Light Gun Man posted:

Haven't seen it, but maybe it was a pod, then it hatched?

Nah, when they go to the area where the reveal happens, there's nothing out of the ordinary there except for the Thing itself, with evidence that said Thing was tied up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

syscall girl posted:

It makes perfect sense he would do this because he was a terrible cop. All he really did was beat people up for Frank ot cover poo poo up for his bosses. He probably hasn't had to to do any actual police work in years so him going into a crime scene alone isn't that crazy. Also he was working for Frank trying to find Casper's money, if other cops were there and he found something he wouldn't have been able to steal it.