Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

HGH posted:

Y'know, just cause Sutherland is an actor and RAD is a voice actor doesn't mean the latter should be treated second rate. I sure as hell enjoyed Downes' performance in the game more so far that's for sure.
I know that's the nature of the industry but celebrity actors doing voicework rubs me the wrong way. Especially after Dinklage (although that was mostly on the script).

sutherland is perfect casting and sounds great, the script gives snake few lines on purpose, there's no such thing as an actor who gets paid by the line, a voice actor will be the first to tell you that acting is acting no matter the stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Voice acting is at least 70% voice direction and 20% script. The VA is secretly not that important for the quality of work as long as he's competent at the job area.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I know that's not how rates are calculated, but the quip about "Sutherland must cost so much" annoyed me (refer to near the end of the latest episode for that) . I'm not complaining about lack of lines either, I think he's genuinely rubbish. About the only lines I liked are "good dog" and "rocket puuuunch". Otherwise there's just a lot of words that sound like they're coming out slurred and just sound bad.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think Kief fits Big Boss better as a character, and Hayter fits Solid Snake better. His voice acting is a bit monotone I feel. He's a good real-life actor though, imo.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

CJacobs posted:

Woolie would still be staring at the ground zeroes poster in the introduction with Pat yelling and flailing wildly about how this could mean that MGS is like Assassin's Creed and it's all just a VR simulation of Metal Gear Solid by people trying to make a game of the real life events but they're leaving hints so that smart players can pick up on it like the poster for example and then he'd go on about that for 35 episodes

Yea, but that's because Pat would be right.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

CJacobs posted:

I think Kief fits Big Boss better as a character, and Hayter fits Solid Snake better. His voice acting is a bit monotone I feel. He's a good real-life actor though, imo.

It also works because Solid Snake aged like 40 years in the span of 5, while Big Boss aged normally. As a result, Snake just sounds like a more hosed up, impossibly scratchy version of his younger self, but Big Boss's voice actually changed as he became a sad, tired old man.

Of course let's just sweep the fact that Ground Zeroes is only a year after Peace Walker under the rug because that completely breaks the illusion.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Ehhh i'm not a big fan of Sutherland in Phantom Pain if for no other reason than there's huuuge stretches where Big Boss is being talked to in huge dumps of dialogue where the person goes "Well this thing is tied to this thing, remember that thing? Where you did the thing? Yeah right? Well blah blah bladdity blah, ok boss good luck on this mission" and Snake didn't say a word at all and the dialogue clearly stretches to cover that fact. If it was Hayter we would have at least gotten a few "Metal Gear?" or something in there to reassure me that Miller wasn't being recorded talking to a decoy Big Boss set up.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I think they should have got an actor they can afford instead of some fancy man too good for video games

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Indecisive posted:

I think they should have got an actor they can afford instead of some fancy man not good enough for video games

FTFY.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I think Big Boss should've talked more in the video game and not in data files like this is loving Dead Space or something.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Holy poo poo, Liam just headshooting dudes on the back of D-Horse. He's definitely the right person to have on this sticks in the LP.

Wordnumber
Jan 13, 2015
I think Liam shot the Hamid prisoner in the face

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
It's a shame they're not playing the PC version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aGKA_3JXfU

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

TriffTshngo posted:

It also works because Solid Snake aged like 40 years in the span of 5, while Big Boss aged normally. As a result, Snake just sounds like a more hosed up, impossibly scratchy version of his younger self, but Big Boss's voice actually changed as he became a sad, tired old man.

Of course let's just sweep the fact that Ground Zeroes is only a year after Peace Walker under the rug because that completely breaks the illusion.

The real reason for the VA switch, at least according to Konami, was that Hayter was asking for at least $800k to return as Snake whereas Sutherland, who coincindentally sounds pretty similar, will charge about $4/500k to do extended VA for a game, so Konami opted for the cheaper option.

At least that was according to /v/ hearsay, so take that with about a pound of salt.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lol Hayter absolutely did not ask for 800k, that man took a massive pay cut to get everyone back together for Twin Snakes and has been voice acting for decades. He knows who butters his bread.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Plus he specifically said he wasn't even contacted for the role at all, he learned about it when everyone else did.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Hence why he was pretty pissed about it. It would have been really surprising and unheard of Hayter demanded more money considering how much he loves being Snake and Big Boss. In fact I would say Sutherland was probably costly. I mean a pretty well known TV actor and what not. Maybe it's just me but compared to all the other games, Big Boss isn't super talkative in this game compared to the others he's in. Might be Sutherland's budget or Kojima deciding to cut down on codecs. (well yeah tapes but same thing basically)

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

An idea brought up in the Giant Bomb thread was that maybe it wasn't cost, but scheduling conflicts that were the reason Kiefer doesn't say much. Like, they might have only had him in the studio for one or two days before he had to go film some show or movie, so they couldn't record as much as they would have if they had someone else.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Rhonne posted:

An idea brought up in the Giant Bomb thread was that maybe it wasn't cost, but scheduling conflicts that were the reason Kiefer doesn't say much. Like, they might have only had him in the studio for one or two days before he had to go film some show or movie, so they couldn't record as much as they would have if they had someone else.

schedule conflicts... for an entire 3 years

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Woolie getting legit serious mad about reboot canon is my new favorite thing because it's always funny when it's not your favorite show

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
maybe it was a character choice

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

schedule conflicts... for an entire 3 years

Years have nothing to do with it. A creator like Kojima could've put the script and VA very early in his workflow, basically record everything within the first couple of years and spend the next 3 making the game itself.

You have the incident with Goofy's VA blabbing "Just got done recording everything! Kingdom Hearts 3 is coming soon!" and that was a year ago.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Tae posted:

Years have nothing to do with it. A creator like Kojima could've put the script and VA very early in his workflow, basically record everything within the first couple of years and spend the next 3 making the game itself.

You have the incident with Goofy's VA blabbing "Just got done recording everything! Kingdom Hearts 3 is coming soon!" and that was a year ago.

Yes, but if scheduling was the issue, why wouldn't you reschedule it if your timeline is whatever insane timeline Kojma had? The lack of Snake lines makes me think they just couldn't afford many recording days for Kiefer, really, and the script was written around other characters because of that. Especially when it's a first for MGS, regardless of Big Boss, Solid or Raiden being the main characters.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I mean, that's all on Kojima and a perfect example of why studios hire familiar VA's over new people. Especially when Kiefer probably has actual acting jobs, despite people thinking he doesn't do much because his IMDB doesn't have much since 24. Those projects can be either in production or cancelled, the latter happens at a super high percentage.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

cmykjester posted:

Holy poo poo, Liam just headshooting dudes on the back of D-Horse. He's definitely the right person to have on this sticks in the LP.

I feel people should know, the autoaim is TIGHT in MGS5. Like, doing headshots like he did is a lot easier than it seems.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I feel people should know, the autoaim is TIGHT in MGS5. Like, doing headshots like he did is a lot easier than it seems.

I would assume it to be, if you can manage to keep calm when guards are looking at you and such.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

I think the only overestimation is that ONE WRONG MOVE COULD KILL ANYONE AT THIS POINT!!!!, we're not quite into do-or-die territory just yet.

I think that's a plus for the game overall though. Managing to cultivate that feeling ups the game's effectiveness IMMENSELY.

MGSV playthrough is basically "What If Big Boss Gave No Fucks", it's great.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Tae posted:

I mean, that's all on Kojima and a perfect example of why studios hire familiar VA's over new people. Especially when Kiefer probably has actual acting jobs, despite people thinking he doesn't do much because his IMDB doesn't have much since 24. Those projects can be either in production or cancelled, the latter happens at a super high percentage.

considering he did facial capture for every cutscene if they wanted to give him more lines they very easily could have for no extra charge

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
the real reason why Kiefer doesn't talk in MGSV is because Big Boss is too busy thinking of Boxes, D-Dog's paw pads, and Quiet's tits during every cutscene.

this is all explained in a cut cassette tape

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

scary ghost dog posted:

considering he did facial capture for every cutscene if they wanted to give him more lines they very easily could have for no extra charge

Those things are recorded in two very different places and they require different schedules, even if they did full facial capture for every cutscene in the game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

"Doesn't America have a thing about sneezing if someone talks about you."

"Pffft no? That's Japan only."

:allears:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

It's a good thing Pat isn't in charge of the LP.

https://twitter.com/AngriestPat/status/642019607591714816

Pat posted:

So I started Phantom Pain last night, and blew two hours rescuing miller without getting nearly any side ops. This game man.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Seriously, it's so easy to lose track of time in TPP. A quick rescue mission becomes an hour-long standoff with half the Red Army.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

A good poster posted:

It's a shame they're not playing the PC version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aGKA_3JXfU

yeah that title is accurate

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I can't remember the last time we got this many days in a row of a single LP.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Seriously, it's so easy to lose track of time in TPP. A quick rescue mission becomes an hour-long standoff with half the Red Army.

Isn't this the same thing that people were saying when Skyrim got released?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

RareAcumen posted:

Isn't this the same thing that people were saying when Skyrim got released?

Yea but this time it's true and fun

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea but this time it's true and fun

But it was also true and fun in Skyrim

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So am I correct in assuming that the soldiers with ??? skills are in fact possessing skills that won't be revealed if you decide not to Fulton them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillerDan
Nov 4, 2012
That is correct. And while having soldiers with skills can certainly help with certain R&D projects, sometimes the skills that they have are actually bad ones. Those with the troublemaker skill can put your other soldiers into sickbay through violence, giving them PTSD, or just plain making them sick. This can even lead to them killing your other soldiers if you don't fire them.