Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I'm playing through Dragonborn right now and it's really cool????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rincewind posted:

I'm playing through Dragonborn right now and it's really cool????

It's great. It's what's giving me a lot of hope for FO4 despite not liking FO3 that much.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Just finished up a New Vegas replay. I find myself hoping Bethesda can do something more compelling with companions the way Obsidian did. I don't really remember any of the FO3 companions, and while there were numerous ones in Skyrim they were almost all just pack mules. The New Vegas companions, with their commentary and individual quest lines, were much more vivid and added a lot to the story for me.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Here's a list of the memorable FO3 companions:

-- dog (it's a fwiggin dog, which is fairly loving epic)
-- Butch (because he's from the famous meme we all love from online)
-- Fawkes (he is the guy we sent in at the very end and got yelled at about it and large soft-spoken gentle man)
-- that's it. I don't remember basically anything or -one else

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Magmarashi posted:

People also act surprised and/or incredulous when a Bethesda open-world game has crummy writing and is shallow as gently caress but this is the world we live in.

That's more the fault of it being an Fallout skinned Elder Scrolls game than it being Bethesda.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

graynull posted:

Just finished up a New Vegas replay. I find myself hoping Bethesda can do something more compelling with companions the way Obsidian did. I don't really remember any of the FO3 companions, and while there were numerous ones in Skyrim they were almost all just pack mules. The New Vegas companions, with their commentary and individual quest lines, were much more vivid and added a lot to the story for me.

They still all felt bland to me. They were better than the bullshit companions from FO3, for sure, but it stillbalways felt like they were just flat meatshields.

FO4 needs to add more customization to the companions. It sucked that in NV about the only companion who would wear whatever I gave him was Boone, and only if I never finished his sidequest.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

JackBadass posted:

That's more the fault of it being an Fallout skinned Elder Scrolls game than it being Bethesda.

..and Elder Scrolls games are shallow and have crummy writing because they're a Bethesda open world series.

Like, i don't understand what the point of your comment was? Elder Scrolls games don't form out of the ether, fully realized with donky writing and really meh gameplay, Bethesda MAKES them. They are directly responsible for that aspect.

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 10, 2015

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

You go make a better one then

Dr Eggman
Sep 9, 2012

I just hope the side content in this game is meaningful and tie into other aspects of the world. Witcher 3 spoiled me with that honestly.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
There have been a lot of really good open world games since even Skyrim. They have a lot higher expectations than when they were reliably the only company producing mainstream games in the genre.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

sector_corrector posted:

There have been a lot of really good open world games since even Skyrim. They have a lot higher expectations than when they were reliably the only company producing mainstream games in the genre.

Other than witcher 3, which ?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Bob NewSCART posted:

In Mad Max, I smear blue paint on my face and grow a bushy black beard. For fifty IRL ("in real life") hours, I roam the sun-scorched wastes of modern Australia in a jalopy adorned with flames and skulls. When I fling myself from the still-moving vehicle so that I might engage bandits and raiders on even footing, my hunchback companion--permanently confined to the back of my vehicle so that he might ruin every one of my attempts to tastefully photograph it--makes grotesque comments about having sex with various parts of the car while I am away. Here is a photo of a half-naked mutant crouched on the roof of a 1973 Ford Falcon XB GT Coupe finished with a sepia filter; here is a pair of misshapen eyes peering out from behind a 1972 Holden Monaro with that Instagram filter that makes everything look like a picture of your dad when he was your age.

This is a man who figured out how to pleasure himself with the barbed end of a harpoon gun--the very same harpoon gun that now sits in my vehicle and is used to drag corpses across the desert for miles while I run over water beggars and grind boulders into dust with my spiked grill. Which is all to say that the wasteland is literally a sandbox where men keep each other as pets and worship combustion engines. Where I have to hold a man down and force my canteen into his mouth for him to trust that it's "just water". Where I can barely even afford a mid-fight moment to crouch down in the dirt and scoop greedy handfuls of dog food into my mouth before a maniac runs me over in an El Camino of some sort.

It's a cohesive world where we've completely done away with any pretense of dialogue or meaningful NPC interaction. In fact, my most significant relationship involves repeated rendezvous with an emaciated Vin Diesel from Pitch Black who purrs something about "laying bare my true promise" by blowing chalk in my face. Beyond this, the bulk of my conversations are spent listening to NPCs provide cryptic monologues. "An observant man will see another way in," a woman quips while poking a lovely little trash fire with a stick. "Kill me and drink my blood," an injured man begs beside the road. "I have no use for it now."

One can almost imagine T. Howard laying beside the smoldering ruins of a PT Cruiser with a copy of Fallout 4 still clutched between his bony black fingers. "Kill me and drink my blood," he would say. "I have no use for it now."

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 10, 2015

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

In Mad Max, I smear blue paint on my face and grow a bushy black beard. For fifty IRL ("in real life") hours, I roam the sun-scorched wastes of modern Australia in a jalopy adorned with flames and skulls. When I fling myself from the still-moving vehicle so that I might engage bandits and raiders on even footing, my hunchback companion--permanently confined to the back of my vehicle so that he might ruin every one of my attempts to tastefully photograph it--makes grotesque comments about having sex with various parts of the car while I am away. Here is a photo of a half-naked mutant crouched on the roof of a 1973 Ford Falcon XB GT Coupe finished with a sepia filter; here is a pair of misshapen eyes peering out from behind a 1972 Holden Monaro with that Instagram filter that makes everything look like a picture of your dad when he was your age.

This is a man who figured out how to pleasure himself with the barbed end of a harpoon gun--the very same harpoon gun that now sits in my vehicle and is used to drag corpses across the desert for miles while I run over water beggars and grind boulders into dust with my spiked grill. Which is all to say that the wasteland is literally a sandbox where men keep each other as pets and worship combustion engines. Where I have to hold a man down and force my canteen into his mouth for him to trust that it's "just water". Where I can barely even afford a mid-fight moment to crouch down in the dirt and scoop greedy handfuls of dog food into my mouth before a maniac runs me over in an El Camino of some sort.

It's a cohesive world where we've completely done away with any pretense of dialogue or meaningful NPC interaction. In fact, my most significant relationship involves repeated rendezvous with an emaciated Vin Diesel from Pitch Black who purrs something about "laying bare my true promise" by blowing chalk in my face. Beyond this, the bulk of my conversations are spent listening to NPCs provide cryptic monologues. "An observant man will see another way in," a woman quips while poking a lovely little trash fire with a stick. "Kill me and drink my blood," an injured man begs beside the road. "I have no use for it now."

One can almost imagine T. Howard laying beside the smoldering ruins of a PT Cruiser with a copy of Fallout 4 still clutched between his bony black fingers. "Kill me and drink my blood," he would say. "I have no use for it now."

For those of you that haven't played the game, I can report this is 100% fact

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Magmarashi posted:

..and Elder Scrolls games are shallow and have crummy writing because they're a Bethesda open world series.

Like, i don't understand what the point of your comment was? Elder Scrolls games don't form out of the ether, fully realized with donky writing and really meh gameplay, Bethesda MAKES them. They are directly responsible for that aspect.

Yes, but Bethesda's not the only company to make a Fallout game in the past decade, and NV was just as shallow and the writing was only about a step and a half better. That was the point.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Same except for the Vin Diesel. I always thought he looked more like the Gyro Captain cosplaying Vin Diesel from Pitch Black.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Bob NewSCART posted:

Depends on how you define "open world". I'd personally put GTAV in that category, and it was an amazing game.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Oh yeah poo poo mad max is out. Can I equip bigger and better skulls and brass knuckles and find shotguns with more and more barrels or what?

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Phantom Pain.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

sector_corrector posted:

Skyrim is one of the best selling games of all time, every single other open world game is loving meaningless in comparison. They don't care about subjective quality, they care that objectively their last game made more money than some some small nations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Bob NewSCART posted:

Oh yeah poo poo mad max is out. Can I equip bigger and better skulls and brass knuckles and find shotguns with more and more barrels or what?

Mad Max fishes a pipe gun out of the sand and presses a shell into the breach. Several hours later, he brainstorms how to turn extra scrap into an extra barrel. A few days after that, he does it again by adding a third barrel. "A fourth barrel?" Max scoffs aloud but, as he hears the words, he realizes they are a challenge yet unanswered--he sets about making a four-barreled shotgun.

Avalanche Studios has been mum on the subject of DLC and expansions for their game, but Pim Holfve has mentioned one thing: "More barrels."

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Bob NewSCART posted:

Can I find shotguns with more and more barrels or what?

Nope. There's basically no loot in the game besides a universal upgrade currency (scrap).

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I thoroughly enjoyed Mad Max and I really, REALLY doubt Bethesda's ability to out-post-apocalypse Mad Max. Somehow Avalanche made sand varied, beautiful and memorable.

sand

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I agree with the beautiful bit.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

JackBadass posted:

Yes, but Bethesda's not the only company to make a Fallout game in the past decade, and NV was just as shallow and the writing was only about a step and a half better. That was the point.

Right, I forgot, you've got that ~wacky trolling gimmick~. I'm just gonna write that down in my notepad so I don't forget from now on.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Magmarashi posted:

Right, I forgot, you've got that ~wacky trolling gimmick~. I'm just gonna write that down in my notepad so I don't forget from now on.

Yeah, when we want opinions on what season of girl avatar is "teh bestest", we'll call you.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

I will give NV credit for it's amazing writing, though. It tackled a lot of the questions I had going into the game, such as:

1.) Will the NCR go quietly and how sure can the Legion be about that?

2.) When the NCR soldiers got their assignments in New Vegas, how did the amount of gambling compare with their expectations? Was there an excess of gambling? Just the right amount? Not enough?

3.) In what sort of situation would an NCR soldier wish for a nuclear winter, or which situation would come the closest to such a desire?

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

JackBadass posted:

I will give NV credit for it's amazing writing, though. It tackled a lot of the questions I had going into the game, such as:

1.) Will the NCR go quietly and how sure can the Legion be about that?

2.) When the NCR soldiers got their assignments in New Vegas, how did the amount of gambling compare with their expectations? Was there an excess of gambling? Just the right amount? Not enough?

3.) In what sort of situation would an NCR soldier wish for a nuclear winter, or which situation would come the closest to such a desire?

What are you, a sperg? literally no one should give that much thought over some lovely lines.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Boogaleeboo posted:

Skyrim is one of the best selling games of all time, every single other open world game is loving meaningless in comparison. They don't care about subjective quality, they care that objectively their last game made more money than some some small nations.

Skyrim sold 20 million copies, sharing 27th place with four other games as the best-selling video games across multiple platforms. Competitors for the spot are GTA: Vice City, The Sims 2 and Battlefield 3.

An open-world game that sold more than twice as much includes Grand Theft Auto V, with 54 million copies sold, Minecraft with 70 million.

I guess an honorable mention to GTA: San Andreas with 27,5 million copies sold. Nothing below Skyrim is much of an ope world, with the exception of GTA3, on this list covering games selling more than 15 million copies.

So, uh, yeah, sorta correct, but also not.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Mordaedil posted:

Skyrim sold 20 million copies, sharing 27th place with four other games as the best-selling video games across multiple platforms. Competitors for the spot are GTA: Vice City, The Sims 2 and Battlefield 3.

An open-world game that sold more than twice as much includes Grand Theft Auto V, with 54 million copies sold, Minecraft with 70 million.

I guess an honorable mention to GTA: San Andreas with 27,5 million copies sold. Nothing below Skyrim is much of an ope world, with the exception of GTA3, on this list covering games selling more than 15 million copies.

So, uh, yeah, sorta correct, but also not.

San Andreas made great use of it's space. It was big back in the day, and still feels pretty big even today.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
What makes you S.P.E.C.I.A.L Strength is up. ENJOY!!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
loving finally, the game's done so you should have all the time in the world to make info videos.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Rabidredneck posted:

What makes you S.P.E.C.I.A.L Strength is up. ENJOY!!

Ahaha this is pretty funny. Especially that bit of ultra violence at the end.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
Now I want to know what mods you can make for a paddleball. Spiked ball? Explosive tipped ball? Hyper-elastic string? Reinforced grip?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rabidredneck posted:

Now I want to know what mods you can make for a paddleball. Spiked ball? Explosive tipped ball? Hyper-elastic string? Reinforced grip?

There is a global leader board for paddle ball scores. Player in the top 100 at a certain date will receive a unique weapon: A cup-and-ball.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Rabidredneck posted:

Turns out you can't hurt people with the ball. Its actually a whimsical garrote that no one ever sees coming.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Rrussom posted:

What are you, a sperg? literally no one should give that much thought over some lovely lines.

I'm pretty sure he was being facetious :psyduck:

sector_corrector posted:

It's great. It's what's giving me a lot of hope for FO4 despite not liking FO3 that much.

Yup, easily the best experience Skyrim has to offer. Decent storyline, good payoff with the final battle, so much fun exploring that island, which was packed with detail BUT never felt like this weird amusement park.

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 10, 2015

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I'm gonna be disappointed now if power fists don't have an extendo punch secondary fire.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Caidin posted:

I'm gonna be disappointed now if power fists don't have an extendo punch secondary fire.

With a nice BOING sound too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

There's a weapon crafting perk tied to strength?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Looked more like armor crafting perk, which makes sense

• Locked thread