Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah, there are pros and cons to killing a brave before the braves meet up. Word might get out that leads to you being suspected by them, you can't slip in and say alright here's all 6 braves, lets go, because the petals would have changed.

The big advantage of killing a brave en-route is that there's one less brave. The big advantage of not killing one en-route is that no one will be on edge before the big "oh poo poo why are there 7 of us" moment, and you haven't tipped your hand on the way.

In the seventh's shoes, I'd kill someone if I thought I could do it without witnesses and it would be difficult to manipulate them, and of course if I thought I could win. From what I can recall Hans traveled alone and met Maura at the meet-up point, Chamot came on her own, and everyone else met up at one point or another on the way in. That leaves the people with clear murder chances pre-temple, in my loose memory, as:

Nash and Adlet: Lots of time spent in the wild with one another, Nash did throw a few blades at him and laugh it off.
Adlet and Flamie: Right after they first meet up and he chases after her. He did leave a note saying "Hey I found another brave guys, brb!"
Nash and Goldov: Traveled together while Adlet chased Flamie. If Nash is the seventh, Goldov is clearly in "easy to manipulate" territory.
Maura and Hans: Met briefly then headed to the temple drawn by the explosions. It's probably hard to sneakily kill an assassin, Hans could probably stealth-kill Maura on the way. It's a very risky move to try so close to the brave meet-up though, if the target escapes your entire plan is ruined. If you mess up a few days out at least you have a chance to catch up and finish them off.

You can throw Maura and Chamot as traveling together to some extent, probably, but if Maura's the seventh then Chamot's her personal puppet to keep herself safe, and vice versa.

I think the most likely scenario is that Nash freed Adlet so she could keep track of him. As soon as he shows off the Brave crest it's only a matter of time until he's released. Then on the road together she assesses his battle skills (which she also saw when he beat up the nameless dudes at the start of the series, which is what landed him in jail) and his personality. Assuming she's the seventh, she decides he's most useful as the fall guy, so once they get to the temple she tells him to go ahead to it first knowing that he'll ultimately be set up as the seventh that way as the person who opened the temple and had time there on his own. She either think he's remarkably weak or that he's such a strong threat he needs to be the first one set up and taken out, I assume the former.

Of course, it all shakes down that Adlet is the goddamn Batman and the Seventh would be better off setting up someone like Maura or Chamot for a quick two-for-one special, since both would have tried to protect one another. Hans would basically be Adlet with more acrobatic/stealth skills and less detective ability, though I think he's the 2nd best detective next to Adlet. No matter who you set up, if you do your job remotely well as the traitor then Flamie is the next target.

Ultimately, I think Nash had the ideal situation to kill a brave en-route, a brave sleeping soundly in the middle of nowhere, and didn't do so. This could be because she isn't the seventh, because she felt she could manipulate Adlet easily, or because the plan was dependent in some way on having 7 braves present.

I'm just drawing on the anime stuff here, and not any of those pesky LN things that I know about. I also can't let lots of big posts happen without contributing a big post of my own too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Do you have an explanation for Nach setting Adlet free, where she could have simply abandoned him and taken his place with no one the wiser?

E: Why didn't they fly the eagles to Mordor?

Jackard fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 10, 2015

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Jackard posted:

Eagles a) are big targets and b) might take the Ring for themselves.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Silver2195 posted:

and b) might take the Ring for themselves.
:wtc:

Where are they gonna wear it?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Jackard posted:

:wtc:

Where are they gonna wear it?

On their talons? In their beaks? I don't think the Ring necessarily needs to be on a humanoid finger to do stuff, especially since the Eagles, IIRC, were actually Maiar-type beings, and thus more affected by the Ring than normal people.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Jackard posted:

Do you have an explanation for Nach setting Adlet free, where she could have simply abandoned him and taken his place with no one the wiser?

Adlet could've broken out himself. He was planning on doing it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The eagles would've been corrupted by the ring.

Then you'd have giant, evil, invisible eagles ruling the skies.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Kild posted:

Adlet could've broken out himself. He was planning on doing it.

Adlet might have broken out, yeah, and also I assume that at some point before too long he shows his brave seal to a guard who somewhat believes him and takes him to an expert, who's like "yep, that's a real seal, lets send our savior on his way."

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Bad Seafood posted:

The eagles would've been corrupted by the ring.

Then you'd have giant, evil, invisible eagles ruling the skies.

I always liked how Gandalf implied there were things in the ocean that could have gotten the ring.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Jackard posted:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Read right to left, got in trouble

Speaking of eagles, I'm really disappointed in Adlet and Maura for not coming up with animal motifs, like all the others.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
What I'm saying is Nash brought him along as a reserve food supply.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

dogsicle posted:

It works both ways.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
You've got a friend in me.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

dogsicle posted:

Speaking of eagles, I'm really disappointed in Adlet and Maura for not coming up with animal motifs, like all the others.

Adlet is a dog (his name is based on some Inuit dog thing) and Maura's name can allude to monkeys or cows.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Kild posted:

Adlet is a dog (his name is based on some Inuit dog thing) and Maura's name can allude to monkeys or cows.

Wait a minute... Flamie said she misses the dog she had when she lived with the fiends... could it be... :psyduck:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

quote:

A woman, Niviarsiang ("the girl"), lives with her father, Savirqong, but will not marry, and hence is also called Uinigumissuitung ("she who wouldn't take a husband"). After rejecting all her suitors, she marries a dog, Ijirqang, with white and red spots. Of their ten children, five are dogs and the others are Adlet, with dog's bodies for their lower half and man's bodies for their upper half.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Flamie is Adlet's mom. Subs didn't say he was in love with her, just that he loved her. Everyone loves their moms. This explains everything, really

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

:stare:

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

NowonSA posted:

Adlet might have broken out, yeah, and also I assume that at some point before too long he shows his brave seal to a guard who somewhat believes him and takes him to an expert, who's like "yep, that's a real seal, lets send our savior on his way."

Nach could have just cut off his hands before she left :black101: If anyone bothered to wonder why random prisoner suddenly had no hands (I am guessing no since they put him in a literal death pit) she could just be like 'yeah I was talking to him on a ~princess whim~ and he touched my boobs'

This has the added benefit of ensuring he could never use The One Ring.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kild posted:

Maura's name can allude to monkeys or cows.

I can see how it would be the latter.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

You've got a friend in me.

This thread got weird.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The dog myth is cool, and it's telling that Adlet didnt take his pants off in front of Hans, because thats where he's definitely hiding his half-dog body.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

dogsicle posted:

The dog myth is cool, and it's telling that Adlet didnt take his pants off in front of Hans, because thats where he's definitely hiding his half-dog body.

I defer to dogsicle's expertise on all things dog, so this seems like what's up. Two hyrbids looking for love.

Xy Hapu posted:

Nach could have just cut off his hands before she left :black101: If anyone bothered to wonder why random prisoner suddenly had no hands (I am guessing no since they put him in a literal death pit) she could just be like 'yeah I was talking to him on a ~princess whim~ and he touched my boobs'

This has the added benefit of ensuring he could never use The One Ring.

Hmm, yeah that's actually totally something she could have gotten away with, especially if she knows how to cauterize the stumps and generally make sure he doesn't die. She could probably get away with it even if she wasn't a princess, having a brave seal seems like a license to get away with a lot of poo poo. Like, you could probably appropriate all sorts of items from any random village saying it was for the good of humanity.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I hope Flamie and Adlet kiss at the end.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

littleorv posted:

Hell yes.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

littleorv posted:

only if Hans is on the other side and holding Adlet's hand

Kild fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 11, 2015

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kild posted:

only is Hans is on the other side and holding Adlet's hand

Stop stealing my fanfiction

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Flamie and Adlet coupling up while Goldov is left not only friendzoned, but friendzoned by the princess who was trying to kill them all, would be pretty fun. If you think he hates Adlet now...

I can already picture Flamie and Adlet skipping along and smiling, throwing bombs of various types and colors to each side as they go like flowers from a basket.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
The reason that Flamie and Adlet love each other is because they share a love of things that go boom.

snivell
Sep 9, 2015

watch out, my posts are pretty damn edgy

The Colonel posted:

The reason that Flamie and Adlet love each other is because they share a love of things that go boom.

Nah pretty sure it's the underboob

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I, too, endorse the Horndog pairing.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

:golfclap:

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Darth Walrus posted:

I, too, endorse the Horndog pairing.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Clearly the true ending of this series is when Adlet and Flammie convince the final boss that everyone would be happier loving each other instead of fighting. The final scene is one massive human/fiend orgy.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

BlazeEmblem posted:

Clearly the true ending of this series is when Adlet and Flammie convince the final boss that everyone would be happier loving each other instead of fighting. The final scene is one massive human/fiend orgy.

:greencube:

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
literally the most cliffhangery cliffhanger i've ever witnessed

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

oh come on!!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I might have actually seen worse cliffhangers from long ago. Ether way...
Where can I find a Nash-getting-kicked-in-the-face gif?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
probably here by the end of the day

• Locked thread