Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Guys I think once it reaches the point that people are scraping the dregs of reddit out of a desperate hope that this game is going to drop super-secret DLC on 9/11, it's time to just accept that the game is over. It's not happening. Konami literally booted Kojima out on his rear end and forced an unfinished product out of the gate in the hopes of recouping their investment. There is no reality in which it makes sense for literally everything that has happened with this game's development to be the lead-up to some fake-out true ending DLC.

These kinds of crazy rumors seem to pop up all the time with major game releases, and I can't remember one single time it ever ended up being anything either than a bunch of obsessive fans with selective perception. Absolutely nothing about these rumors looks even remotely legitimate. The youtube videos and website they are going nuts over are laughably amateurish. And apparently someone already traced the source back to an audio design company in Sweden, so it almost assuredly some dumb trick meant to drum up interest in someone who wants internet attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I think the ending to the game is really dope, I'm surprised people don't like it.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Oxxidation posted:

The desperation here is reminding of Indoctrination Theory all over again.

On the subject though, the fan backlash from Mass Effect 3's ending was strong enough to get Bioware to offer a free DLC that greatly improved the ending, not by changing it but by adding to it, so there's precedent that if the controversy surrounding MGSV grows enough we may see so. Not likely, given the particular companies involved but you never know.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

And apparently someone already traced the source back to an audio design company in Sweden

Joakim "Venom" Mogren is preparing to rebel against his memetic clone.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 10, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Thou art I...

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

In It For The Tank posted:

On the subject though, the fan backlash from Mass Effect 3's ending was strong enough to get Bioware to offer a free DLC that greatly improved the ending, not by changing it but by adding to it, so there's precedent that if the controversy surrounding MGSV grows enough we may see so. Not likely, given the particular companies involved but you never know.

Bioware realized if they crapped the bed with ME3 and refused to clean it up, people wouldn't want to buy their poo poo again. Konami is pretty much out of the games business except for Soccer games and mobile stuff not counting pachinko.

Also it sounds like you were going to be able to interact with Skullface during gameplay at some point, I found some files where he makes noises : https://soundcloud.com/gboon/sets/skullface-interaction-noises File 101 on sound like you could pull a gun on him while he did his monologue, rather than this being some MGO dialogue for skullface as a playable character.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Yeah, Konami literally doesn't give a poo poo what people think of MGSV. It has no bearing on their future. From what I've heard, they are still worried about this game even making back its budget - there was some article in Forbes talking about how the game is selling about as well as MGS4 did in the first week, which is kind of worrying considering that was a single-console game and this one had a bigger budget before you even factor in the separate cost of the Fox Engine. I think the estimate is that TPP needs to sell 5-6 million copies just to break even, and game sales drop off incredibly fast a couple weeks after release.

The only way I could see any DLC ever happening is if they chopped something out that was already finished or like 90% complete, and then pushed it out the door with a price tag on it later. It would be scummy as hell, but again, Konami doesn't care. Allegedly they forced GZ to be released as a paid product when Kojima wanted it to be a free demo (though who ever knows how legitimate these rumors are).

It just makes zero sense why they would give a poo poo about Kojima's master plan to release DLC on 9/11 after they have quite demonstrably not cared about his artistic vision elsewhere.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Anyone happen to know what the crown icon in the bottom left is for?

Edit: Apparently it means I'm top rank in my league. All I've been doing is successful defends passively. Neat!

Man I really have so many loving questions about FOB gameplay that makes no sense because they explain nothing. Is there any loving guide about the specifics surrounding it? Here's a list.

When does the GMP I invest in defenses actually get spent?
The entirety of the FOB is defended by my security team only, right? What is the actual difference between ranks, then?
No wait a second, I have every single S-rank and above as locked but when I go into my FOB map view it tells me I have S rank units defending platforms. Why? How? What the gently caress?
The green-text weaponry that I research says that my combat units can now equip that item. This means FOB people will randomly pick (among the class I give them in advanced settings) among the pool of researched guns?
What happens if I'm defending someone else's FOB and I kill or steal their stuff. Do they see that as a loss? If not, doesn't that mean I could kill off their soldiers specifically so the invading player can't get them instead?
What's the actual loving point of the nukes? As far as I can tell, the only way to invade someone with nukes is by being a certain heroism level... so I guess it's a noob deterrent? Does it do anything else at all?
So as far as resources are concerned, the way I understand it is that the FOB generates its own unrefined resources which can be stolen. As long as I'm online, those resources become refined and added to my resource total which cannot be stolen. Is this correct? If not, when do resources on FOBs become usable by me?
Why in the loving world is defending an FOB so rewarding but attacking one is pointless?
What's the point of grabbing weapon emplacements? I assume these get transferred and installed to FOBs somehow but the closest thing I can tell is there's 1 icon to describe all the types of emplacements that are on an FOB platform. That... sucks.
Are there more than 5 security devices that you can research?
In the resource menu, you can see a little globe icon that represents the resources you own on your FOB. Why? The ONLY thing that shows up in that area is unrefined resources. When the hell are there going to be plants? Or refined resources? Or vehicles? Something massive is missing here. Hell, even nukes can be on or off your FOB. Why?!
What's the point of doing online dispatch missions? They take FOREVER and earn you practically nothing!
Is the daily login bonus REALLY the only way to get more MB coins? Was that really Konami's answer to "don't worry about MB coins, you can earn them!" I don't really see logging in as an "earning" situation.

The most important thing of all. The only true resource restriction in this game is fuel and even that can be farmed easily. On top of that, finding and fultoning S-ranks gets really easy end-game. So since FOBs are supposed to be used to gain resources quicker while also recruiting other people's high ranking officers (I've only ever earned A++ from FOB wins, both as invader and defender) and the PF point exchange only gets you A++ people and a stupidly bad amount of resources so please tell me... what is the loving point of FOBs?

AKA Those articles saying you could just avoid online completely really aren't wrong at all, huh? This whole interesting feature was beheaded before it shipped, wasn't it?

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Sep 10, 2015

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.
So was Kaz making hamburgers out of all the animals I fultoned back to Mother Base?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

The point of FOBs is to have fun shooting other real players. The major benefit they provide outside of that is increasing your staff capacity, which is required if you want to unlock all the crazy items at the end of the research tree.

The defensive GMP is spent the moment someone invades, whether they are successful or not. It's just the cost to outfit your FOB with equipment.

Combat rank of your security team seems to be largely irrelevant - there is some anecdotal evidence that they might see a bit farther / respond more quickly, but it isn't a big enough deal to worry about. You should absolutely be staffing it with your shittiest dudes, which is what Miller does for you automatically. If you want to be a dick you can even deliberately staff it with all of your troublemakers, so that anyone who steals them has to deal with them. You see S-rank people on the list because it shows every soldier you have in your Motherbase. These people can potentially be taken from you if A) the invader reaches your platform core and B) they aren't on direct contract. Keep your S-ranks on direct contract and you have nothing at all to worry about.

Your security team will always choose the highest-ranked weapon they can use for whichever mode you set them to. You can choose short-range (shotguns, ballistic shields, and submachine guns), mid-range (LMGs, rockets) and long-range (sniper rifles and rockets), and you can further distinguish between lethal and non-lethal. You should always pick lethal because non-lethal is too risky for not enough reward, and I personally think mid-range is the strongest option because 10 LMGs firing at once will mulch an enemy in seconds and the platforms are the perfect size for them.

Pretty sure if you defend someone else it treats it like your own base, so I imagine killing the guards is an instant loss. Not sure how it works exactly, I've never tried it. Almost guaranteed that there are huge penalties for intentionally loving up someone's base when you are defending it for them, though.

Nukes stop you from being attacked period unless the other person also has a nuke, or they have over 150k heroism. If a player with a nuke attacks you and you retaliate, you have one chance to disarm their nuke. If you fail, they have the option of nuking your FOB, which completely destroys it (upgrades and all) and kills the entire security team, leaving you only with the waters to rebuild in. It is basically the ultimate deterrent, and since you can only attack other people who have nukes or high heroism after you build a nuke, it is extremely risky to build one unless you plan on never attacking anyone ever, in which case it is a pretty good anti-PvP tool since very few people will be willing / able to attack you.

FOBs will use MGs, Mortars, and AA gun emplacements. They get placed all over the place on your FOB struts, and guards will use them. I've never seen them use AA guns, but they use mortars pretty frequently and MGs rarely. They are probably mostly meant for real players to use.

All FOB resources are handled completely separately from your Motherbase Resources, and in fact they are all server-side, so you can't even see them / use them without being online. Once they are processed they go into your Motherbase stock, which is 100% untouchable unless the person is cheating. However the processing rate is so minimal that it really ends up having zero tangible impact on your single-player experience. The resources you see next to globe symbol are the FOB-only resources. Nothing else matters for FOB stuff. They are unrefined only because the second they are refined they go to your Motherbase stock and can't be touched.

Dispatch missions get much more lucrative later on. Doing more of the "main" dispatches (the ones with the yellow dots) opens up better ones. Right now, for instance, I have one that will give me 50,000 precious metals (which can be sold for insane amounts of GMP) ones that give me S-rank troops, and one that gives me 20k processed fuel. They take a long time but just think of it as free stuff that you are earning in the background. Your combat unit has no other purpose anyway, and in fact being deployed protects them from being stolen during FOB attacks, so there is literally no reason not to have as many teams deployed as possible at all times.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Ekusukariba posted:

Ocelot mentions that he knows that Quiet have fallen for Big Boss because he used to feel that way, wonder if that's a subtle hint that Venom isn't Big Boss, that Ocelot didn't feel that spark with him

I think he means he used to have the same youthful mega hardon for big boss and his legend and now that he knows him they're just really good friends.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Holy poo poo a deterrence mini game for FOB? Thats the best.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

The point of FOBs is to have fun shooting other real players. The major benefit they provide outside of that is increasing your staff capacity, which is required if you want to unlock all the crazy items at the end of the research tree.
Yeah I guess the question was supposed to be "what's the point of attacking anyone?" because of course building the FOB itself is super useful for the staff max thing and you earn so little attacking it seems like only defending is the beneficial part. However I kinda answered this myself. By attacking, you can increase your league rank, which means more people attack you, which means more chances to defend and gain tons of successful defense resources.

Combat rank of your security team seems to be largely irrelevant - there is some anecdotal evidence that they might see a bit farther / respond more quickly, but it isn't a big enough deal to worry about. You should absolutely be staffing it with your shittiest dudes, which is what Miller does for you automatically. If you want to be a dick you can even deliberately staff it with all of your troublemakers, so that anyone who steals them has to deal with them. You see S-rank people on the list because it shows every soldier you have in your Motherbase. These people can potentially be taken from you if A) the invader reaches your platform core and B) they aren't on direct contract. Keep your S-ranks on direct contract and you have nothing at all to worry about.
Two things. 1: I just invaded someone's platform and their security team had full-head helmets on. Like, better than riot gear. I have to assume this is due to their security staff having high ranking folks in it to level "Base Security" up to S rank, right? 2: The list isn't showing every soldier you have in the mother base. Go to your security settings and look at the list while changing platforms. It's telling you what soldiers are on each platform along with the resources stored there. I am not joking, I think they literally make up these soldiers out of thin air just for the FOB. They aren't real soldiers.

Pretty sure if you defend someone else it treats it like your own base, so I imagine killing the guards is an instant loss. Not sure how it works exactly, I've never tried it. Almost guaranteed that there are huge penalties for intentionally loving up someone's base when you are defending it for them, though.
It's not an instant loss. I've laid mines that friendlies run into and had grenades bounce bad and kill friendlies. It doesn't do anything as far as I can tell but I don't know what it looks like to the person who sees the gain/loss results, which isn't me.

Nukes stop you from being attacked period unless the other person also has a nuke, or they have over 150k heroism. If a player with a nuke attacks you and you retaliate, you have one chance to disarm their nuke. If you fail, they have the option of nuking your FOB, which completely destroys it (upgrades and all) and kills the entire security team, leaving you only with the waters to rebuild in. It is basically the ultimate deterrent, and since you can only attack other people who have nukes or high heroism after you build a nuke, it is extremely risky to build one unless you plan on never attacking anyone ever, in which case it is a pretty good anti-PvP tool since very few people will be willing / able to attack you.
Holy gently caress where did you find out about nuking FOBs? God... why would ANYONE risk that? Fuuuuuuuck. Remind me to never build a nuke but I can't wait to see a video of what it looks like to nuke someone.

FOBs will use MGs, Mortars, and AA gun emplacements. They get placed all over the place on your FOB struts, and guards will use them. I've never seen them use AA guns, but they use mortars pretty frequently and MGs rarely. They are probably mostly meant for real players to use.
The question was more like... does the stuff I fulton even matter in relation to this? If I never fulton gun emplacements, do I never get any on my FOB? I know the stuff I fulton gets added to my SP Mother Base but if they went to FOBs they would be listed as a resource next to the globe icon so they must not actually head to the FOB and since having them on my Mother Base is useless... what's the point of fultoning emplacements other than selling them and making mad GMP?

Dispatch missions get much more lucrative later on. Doing more of the "main" dispatches (the ones with the yellow dots) opens up better ones. Right now, for instance, I have one that will give me 50,000 precious metals (which can be sold for insane amounts of GMP) ones that give me S-rank troops, and one that gives me 20k processed fuel. They take a long time but just think of it as free stuff that you are earning in the background. Your combat unit has no other purpose anyway, and in fact being deployed protects them from being stolen during FOB attacks, so there is literally no reason not to have as many teams deployed as possible at all times.
I'm talking about the online ones, not the main offline ones. The online doesn't have any yellow dot missions but since I'm playing less of the game now I'll try sending folks on those. I already do tons of primary dispatch missions.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I think he means he used to have the same youthful mega hardon for big boss and his legend and now that he knows him they're just really good friends.
Not to mention that Ocelot is self-hypnotized to believe that Venom IS Big Boss and won't know about the real Big Boss's existence until some specified point in time. There's basically a giant plot hole around that as far as I'm concerned.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Sep 10, 2015

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

DaveKap posted:

Yeah I guess the question was supposed to be "what's the point of attacking anyone?" because of course building the FOB itself is super useful for the staff max thing and you earn so little attacking it seems like only defending is the beneficial part. However I kinda answered this myself. By attacking, you can increase your league rank, which means more people attack you, which means more chances to defend and gain tons of successful defense resources.

Two things. 1: I just invaded someone's platform and their security team had full-head helmets on. Like, better than riot gear. I have to assume this is due to their security staff having high ranking folks in it to level "Base Security" up to S rank, right? 2: The list isn't showing every soldier you have in the mother base. Go to your security settings and look at the list while changing platforms. It's telling you what soldiers are on each platform along with the resources stored there. I am not joking, I think they literally make up these soldiers out of thin air just for the FOB. They aren't real soldiers.

It's not an instant loss. I've laid mines that friendlies run into and had grenades bounce bad and kill friendlies. It doesn't do anything as far as I can tell but I don't know what it looks like to the person who sees the gain/loss results, which isn't me.

Holy gently caress where did you find out about nuking FOBs? God... why would ANYONE risk that? Fuuuuuuuck. Remind me to never build a nuke but I can't wait to see a video of what it looks like to nuke someone.

The question was more like... does the stuff I fulton even matter in relation to this? If I never fulton gun emplacements, do I never get any on my FOB? I know the stuff I fulton gets added to my SP Mother Base but if they went to FOBs they would be listed as a resource next to the globe icon so they must not actually head to the FOB and since having them on my Mother Base is useless... what's the point of fultoning emplacements other than selling them and making mad GMP?

I'm talking about the online ones, not the main offline ones. The online doesn't have any yellow dot missions but since I'm playing less of the game now I'll try sending folks on those. I already do tons of primary dispatch missions.

Not to mention that Ocelot is self-hypnotized to believe that Venom IS Big Boss and won't know about the real Big Boss's existence until some specified point in time. There's basically a giant plot hole around that as far as I'm concerned.

Better Security Team gear comes from spending more money on your team's preparedness. You have the option to spend none, low, medium, or high GMP on defense, and that determines their gear. Spending none drops naked guards in there with no body armor / helmets whatsoever. The medium option gives them battle armor, and the highest gives them the full riot gear. You may also have to researched max-level battle armor, but that hasn't been confirmed yet. Their level doesn't matter. My guys are wearing riot gear and they are mostly C and B rank.

The list doesn't show *every* Motherbase soldier, it just grabs a random pool of people from Motherbase to serve as possible rewards for a successful invasion. It may also be that it only shows the members of the strut you are looking at (i.e. if you invade their R&D strut, you can take anyone that isn't on direct contract from their Motherbase R&D staff) but without being able to get a closer look at the soldiers it is probably impossible to tell.

If you don't instant-lose, then it probably just throws their soldiers into the medbay / kills them like it would if you were an invader. I'll mess around with it when I'm bored and see if I can get a definitive answer.

Nukes are a good idea for the people that literally never want to interact with the PvP element. It significantly reduces the pool of players that are able to invade you, and it makes people that *can* invade you much more wary about it. If you actually plan on invading people then yeah, you definitely don't want a nuke.

Gun emplacements you Fulton in the main game will show up on your FOB. If you have zero of them in your stock and then Fulton them from an enemy FOB, yes, they then show up on yours, or you can sell them. If you never Fulton emplacements in single player or multiplayer, then your FOB will have none either, but you would be dumb not to Fulton weapons because every single one sells for significantly more than the Fulton cost and there is absolutely zero downside to snatching every single one you come across.

The online deployments are garbage right now, yeah. There is no reason to do them currently. I *think* someone mentioned that the timer might also tick down even when you are offline, which is not true of the normal ones, but even still the rewards are not worth it unless you just flat-out don't touch the game for 2 or 3 days.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Jake Snake posted:

So was Kaz making hamburgers out of all the animals I fultoned back to Mother Base?

Yep. That NGO never turned out so zebra burgers for all!

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.

iGestalt posted:

Yep. That NGO never turned out so zebra burgers for all!

That explains why I only had two karakul sheep on the animal platform . . .

DaveKap posted:

I think he might have been slipping out of it around then. I remember a cassette tape where he accuses Huey of "building layer upon layer of stories until nothing means anything to you anymore" and telling him to think hard about who he really is. I think Ocelot might have been talking about himself a bit too, just like when The Boss warns Snake not to "lose sight of who you really are." He was probably partially conscious about what he was doing.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Y'know, I decided to just go balls to the wall and invade a bunch of FOBs. If you pay close attention ahead of time to what the rewards can be and what exactly you're up against, it's actually a very lucrative prospect. I need to figure out how it decides the ranking, though (there's a red badge icon above the "volunteers gained" that has some weird range and when it's high in the .9 area I'll get S ranked soldiers) so I can infiltrate better.

Really, look at everything when deciding what platform to take on. A dozen D soldiers on a single support platform for 200k GMP is so freaking easy and profitable.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I wasn't gonna build a nuke but to get the achievements I might build one and then dispose of it. That doesn't have any FOB consequences beyond temporarily having a deterrent right? If you have a nuke and get invaded and don't retaliate, they can't nuke you back can they?

Also good loving God is Code Talker Extreme retarded. Sniper Skulls kill you in one hit, so it's like doing Quiet Extreme except there's four of them. I tried to be clever and pull an armored vehicle since that worked against Quiet but it seems their rifles can destroy them eventually, and tank rounds to the face somehow do less damage than headshots with the antimateriel rifles. I already got an S on the mission just driving a tank through the sniper gauntlet so maybe the Stealth Camo works against them?

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

People can also steal nukes fyi.

DasKuend
Jun 19, 2014

Supreme Rear Admiral of Star Citizen
Because I consider 1984 the best book I ever read I was somewhat disappointed how they conveyed the concept of "doublethink" as forgetting inconvenient facts by hypnosis and remembering them later if it's needed. In contrast to doublethink which means accepting 2 opposing, one another excluding facts (and all its implications) at the same time.

The earth is flat so from a high point I can see every point on earth. At the same time I know when I am the guy responsible for building a satellite the earth is a globe and take that into consideration, still knowing the earth is a disc.

e:

Jake Snake posted:

twista twista

Just wanted to say the emotional reaction to being "Big Medic" aka random dude fultoned in the american interrogation camp also fell flat for me. I assumed after the first 5 minutes of the game the dude in bandages was Big Boss and you are someone else though I didn't know who. Men are just boring with only 3 different motivations for doing things maybe women could offer 4-5 different motivations that would be fine.

DasKuend fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Sep 10, 2015

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
You haven't read very many books, huh?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Yeah, Konami literally doesn't give a poo poo what people think of MGSV. It has no bearing on their future. From what I've heard, they are still worried about this game even making back its budget - there was some article in Forbes talking about how the game is selling about as well as MGS4 did in the first week, which is kind of worrying considering that was a single-console game and this one had a bigger budget before you even factor in the separate cost of the Fox Engine. I think the estimate is that TPP needs to sell 5-6 million copies just to break even, and game sales drop off incredibly fast a couple weeks after release.

Forbes has become some blogger host, where everyone gets to post his poo poo under the Forbes name, don't take anything you read there without a fultoned container of salt.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Decius posted:

Forbes has become some blogger host, where everyone gets to post his poo poo under the Forbes name, don't take anything you read there without a fultoned container of salt.

For sure, but unless they are just flat-out lying about the number of games sold, it's a pretty reasonable fear. A AAA game coming out on every major console (both current and last gen) and PC only selling on par with the last entry in the series, a single-console exclusive, would probably be a good reason to be nervous if you were a Konami exec.

It's totally possible the person who wrote it was just talking out of their rear end - I honestly don't think it matters in the end, anyone expecting more content out of this game is just holding onto the faintest glimmer of hope at this point. Unless it magically puts up GTAV numbers, Konami probably isn't going to be putting anymore time and money into this game.

DasKuend
Jun 19, 2014

Supreme Rear Admiral of Star Citizen
Oh also I wanted to say how much I liked that none of the many new things introduced into the series gets mention anywhere in the series except in this game. There is probably an important story and game play related reason for this.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Honestly the entire idea of chapter 2 is really dumb so extending it further doesn't help the game- everything good that happened in chapter 2 could easily have happened in chapter 1 where the game has an actual plot. Chapter 2 felt like Kojima just doing it for the proveribal you, so you could get your dumb fanservice. Gosh, I sure do want to know Liquid was always the same guy his entire life and that his best pal Mantis now loves him through these thin theories.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

yeah but ME3s ending was crappy because it didnt fit or work thematically. it just kinda blows its load in the last 10 min and makes you pick a light color. Mgs5 hints at the twist the whole time. if you mean the cut ending, yeah they should add it back in. that and camp omega.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

FZeroRacer posted:

I don't know what's real or fake anymore.

Is Kojima trying to make us all into conspiracy nuts?

he does this all the time, i think he reads it and trolls along. back when people were like "you play as grey fox!" he was posting shots of a figure of venom snake doing the same hand gesture grey fox did in promo art/bust and the bust was behind the venom figure.

then again, this is the same guy who made moby dick studios and pretended to be someone else just to tell you the phantom pain wasn't mgs5, until internet detectives put all the clues together and he came out on stage and took the loving mask off. at this point this 9/11 stuff seems about as real as anything. maybe he wants you to feel the real phantom pain of missing content because the motherfucker is a true artist in the video game world.

oh and didnt the last trailer, a week before release, have "from zero to omega" in it? why bother putting that in if you had already cut it? :tinfoil:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Panzeh posted:

Honestly the entire idea of chapter 2 is really dumb so extending it further doesn't help the game- everything good that happened in chapter 2 could easily have happened in chapter 1 where the game has an actual plot. Chapter 2 felt like Kojima just doing it for the proveribal you, so you could get your dumb fanservice. Gosh, I sure do want to know Liquid was always the same guy his entire life and that his best pal Mantis now loves him through these thin theories.

havent got to chapter 2 (just did mission 11!) yet but to me it sounds just like chapter 5 of peace walker? just there after the ending to replay and complete everything and unlock secret missions/true ending every now and then and gently caress you zadornov.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I just finished this, listened to all (apart from code talker "VOCAL CORD PARASITES") tapes, did all the paz stuff, killed quiet, saw the true ending, finished all missions apart from some side ops.

-Is there a resolution to the paz thing? I did the 10 mother base soldier missions and showed her all the photos and visited her a few more times. Ocelot came in at like photo #8 and said 'she's clawing at her wound' but that's it. After showing her all 10 photos, I come back in and she's dropping a book every time. I pick it up and give it to her and that's it. Someone said 'look at the creepy stuff on the outside at the back of her room' but all I can see is a door (I think there's no door in her room to the outside, which is a bit weird but IDK). There's also a peace sign on that side of the door. So are you going outside and hanging out outside, hallucinating and looking at a peace sign? On the other hand at the end of paz tape #4 she realises she's 'reliving the same day'. What the gently caress is going on?

-Huey, what the gently caress. He's all like NO NO NO IT WASN'T ME and clearly he did everything. They even play the clip at his trial where Strangelove gets locked in and he's like 'you have no proof, I have NO IDEA what you're talking about, you're all crazy!!!'

-The true ending was pretty cool. YOU are big boss. I think it was Kojima's way of telling us he loves us. It does feel unfinishes, but... well. It sucks but it was fantastic game.

edit: I just read up on the MGS wiki about paz. Did I maybe miss the 'paz ending' by finishing mission 46 before I did the last 2 mother base soldier missions?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

redreader posted:

I just finished this, listened to all (apart from code talker "VOCAL CORD PARASITES") tapes, did all the paz stuff, killed quiet, saw the true ending, finished all missions apart from some side ops.

-Is there a resolution to the paz thing? I did the 10 mother base soldier missions and showed her all the photos and visited her a few more times. Ocelot came in at like photo #8 and said 'she's clawing at her wound' but that's it. After showing her all 10 photos, I come back in and she's dropping a book every time. I pick it up and give it to her and that's it. Someone said 'look at the creepy stuff on the outside at the back of her room' but all I can see is a door (I think there's no door in her room to the outside, which is a bit weird but IDK). There's also a peace sign on that side of the door. So are you going outside and hanging out outside, hallucinating and looking at a peace sign? On the other hand at the end of paz tape #4 she realises she's 'reliving the same day'. What the gently caress is going on?

-Huey, what the gently caress. He's all like NO NO NO IT WASN'T ME and clearly he did everything. They even play the clip at his trial where Strangelove gets locked in and he's like 'you have no proof, I have NO IDEA what you're talking about, you're all crazy!!!'

-The true ending was pretty cool. YOU are big boss. I think it was Kojima's way of telling us he loves us. It does feel unfinishes, but... well. It sucks but it was fantastic game.

edit: I just read up on the MGS wiki about paz. Did I maybe miss the 'paz ending' by finishing mission 46 before I did the last 2 mother base soldier missions?

paz: there are 11 photos i heard, last one drops outside the room after you've shown her all 10 but i haven't done it myself only read about it so dont quote me on that.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

redreader posted:

Check the wall outside of Paz's room, there should be something near the exit door.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
^^^ Thanks, I really appreciate that. Resolved!

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I liked how that plot was handled. I really thought she had survived until the third or fourth tape.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jake Snake posted:

The chemical burger needs all those chemicals to cover up the taste of gerbil meat.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I really need to get out of the habits every other MGS game has instilled in me.

I'm still mainly just using the Wu. I don't even use cardboard boxes because I've been conditioned into them being essentially useless.

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I don't even use cardboard boxes because I've been conditioned into them being essentially useless.

I haven't experimented with them yet, but I feel like they could be a lot more useful with being able to run, slide, aim from inside, posters, etc.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
You should always at least carry a 100 GMP rank 1 box for fast travel.

The box seems useful for other reasons though. If you get spotted by other means the call to CP is as normal, but if a soldier sees a box moving around CP mocks him when he calls it in and they argue forever about it. And then if you ditch the box the guard will go over to it and be all confused, and CP will laugh it all off. So it seems like there's less risk of an alert triggering.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
If Baby Mantis was projecting Volgins hate....where was Volgin? Am I missing something? I thought he was just drawing from BBs projected fear.

Speaking of mantis he probably could have used a little more...something. I mean I thought the scene with Eli was really cool as presented by I was expecting more mindfuckey stuff. Oh well.

Liquid X Mantis BFF

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

If Baby Mantis was projecting Volgins hate....where was Volgin? Am I missing something? I thought he was just drawing from BBs projected fear.

Speaking of mantis he probably could have used a little more...something. I mean I thought the scene with Eli was really cool as presented by I was expecting more mindfuckey stuff. Oh well.

Liquid X Mantis BFF

Volgin survived and was being held in a hospital. Mantis was in a plane nearby which is what triggered it. You get a tape about it once you recover his corpse.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Man Volgin was one tough son of a bitch then.

Kinda sucks a whole arc was cut and another was condensed. I've been enjoying my time with MGS V a great deal. Hopefully these ridiculous rear end dlc rumors come to some sort of fruition just so I can get more of this madness, however unlikely.

I felt playing Sins of the Father on the jeep ride was the most unnecessary thing in the game. Kinda blew out the tension of the scene. RIP Skullface

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I'm just curious what the Camp Omega re-visit was going to be.

• Locked thread