Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You could get 51 used pickup trucks for that much here.

but only half a herniasurgery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

fjelltorsk posted:

:drat:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

fjelltorsk posted:

That's the point I was gonna make

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

You could get 51 used pickup trucks for that much here.

But from what I understand buying a $1K pick-up truck would get you something that looks like this -

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

AirRaid posted:

But from what I understand buying a $1K pick-up truck would get you something that looks like this -

Failing to see anything wrong with this.

:colbert:

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Here is my Volkswagen Tiguan. It gets the job done.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Bojanglesworth posted:

As long as the job doesn't include going over speed bumps.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
What wheels are those?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

fjelltorsk posted:

:canada: :colbert:

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Bojanglesworth posted:

Is it still under warranty? I think your springs might have broken on that side of the car.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Hahahaha. It is on air suspension, so speed bumps are no match!

The wheels are Rotiform IND-T

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I've been wondering what a lowered Tiguan would look like. As suspected, it is in fact just a Golf on big springs.

What did the air ride run you?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bojanglesworth posted:

I think your wheels cost more than my entire garage full of vehicles.

looks pretty swank though.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

I've been wondering what a lowered Tiguan would look like. As suspected, it is in fact just a Golf on big springs.

What did the air ride run you?

Hahaha basically. People ask me all the time what type of VW it is.

I got a deal on most of the stuff, but with all the poo poo that has hosed up I've easily spent the savings on replacement parts. Everything is sorted out now and Ive probably spent about $2k. Not sure I will be bagging another vehicle because of the headache, but when it works correctly its phenomenal. The ride is awesome and the ability to just raise up and drive is nice.

Powershift posted:

I think your wheels cost more than my entire garage full of vehicles.

looks pretty swank though.

Thank you so much!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Bojanglesworth posted:

Hahaha basically. People ask me all the time what type of VW it is.

I got a deal on most of the stuff, but with all the poo poo that has hosed up I've easily spent the savings on replacement parts. Everything is sorted out now and Ive probably spent about $2k. Not sure I will be bagging another vehicle because of the headache, but when it works correctly its phenomenal. The ride is awesome and the ability to just raise up and drive is nice.

Bags is different. I was making fun of it because I thought it was static.

Can you tell a bit more about the system and its operation? Like what is mounted where, what kind of controls? Do you leave it down when parked, or is that just to show off? How do you know when you're at the right height for your alignment, or is it just a "looks close enough"?

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Bojanglesworth posted:

Oh hey, you're frands with VWDork.

GramCracker fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 9, 2015

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

Bojanglesworth posted:

My VW is taller then yours.... :D

And yes i hard parked mine on a rock in the driveway when i got it home

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Bags is different. I was making fun of it because I thought it was static.

Can you tell a bit more about the system and its operation? Like what is mounted where, what kind of controls? Do you leave it down when parked, or is that just to show off? How do you know when you're at the right height for your alignment, or is it just a "looks close enough"?

Sure! The management is all handled with Airlift V1. Its older but its cheap and does what it needs to. The control for it is mounted under the climate control

The ECU for management, valves and compressor are all mounted next to the spare tire under the trunk floor, and the five gallon tank is mounted on the floor. This is the only picture I have and its raining outside now so...

Each corner has its own valve, which has a pressure sensor. That reading is relayed to the control up front. I have the "ride height" set at pressures where I can drive without anything rubbing. The management remembers those settings and maintains the pressures in each bag. There is also an "air out" setting, so I can let all of the air out. I usually air out when I park because it looks good, and it also makes it difficult for people to steal my wheels or tow it.

fjelltorsk posted:

My VW is taller then yours.... :D

And yes i hard parked mine on a rock in the driveway when i got it home

Hahaha nice!

GramCracker posted:

Oh hey, you're frands with VWDork.

Yes I am!

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Super jealous of your air bags. And those wheels. God drat son!

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

AirRaid posted:

Would still go for $3k in Iowa.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

angryhampster posted:

Would still go for $3k in Iowa.

No visible rust? That's a $5k truck in Pittsburgh.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

AirRaid posted:

Not if you know where and when to buy it are a degenerate gambler at auctions :clint:

Here's my $750 opus as she sits, granted i spent some money making it more lame.

It too has a diesel engine, although it's a hair larger than fjelltorsk's

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
that is the most amazing thing I have ever seen.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Please explain.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ThirstyBuck posted:

Please explain.

yeah what are those seats?

and taste be damned, that blue painted interior is awesome.

You can almost see it in this first pic, I painted mine red (a long time ago)

she was a looker though...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The seats are out of an acura RSX i scored at the pick-n-pull for $130, and it's absolutely loving ridiculous how well they fit. the console is out of a ford explorer. Most of the interior is black, i thought it would need some contrast so i went with navy blue that turned out not so navy blue. it still looks neat. I'm 6'9, so with the huge unadjustable couch bench seat taking up half the cab, it wasn't very comfortable. now i've got most of the cab for person space instead of seat space, and can even touch my knees to the steering column. which i can't do in most vehicles.

The truck i bought for $750 sight unseen from an auction 150 kms away listed as a non-runner, but it runs and drives absolutely perfectly. it had about 195k kms(about 121k miles) on a 7.3 powerstroke and the engine is probably the best 4r100 i've felt. it locks up at 1000 RPM and stays locked up until it drops back under ~750. so you can hit 4th at 65kph, drop back to a 60kph and just idle down the road. or you can mash the loud pedal, make a bunch of noise, and hit 60 in about 7 seconds.

I've got a thread for it, but progress has been put on pause while i mess with a bunch of wheels and stuff.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3734747

look at that, that shouldn't happen, that seat rail is bolted right there into the factory ford seat bolt hole with the factory ford seat bolt, and that's where the seat rail bottoms out. 1/16/th of an inch from the contour of the cab, matching the contour of the cab.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Powershift posted:

The seats are out of an acura RSX i scored at the pick-n-pull for $130, and it's absolutely loving ridiculous how well they fit. the console is out of a ford explorer. Most of the interior is black, i thought it would need some contrast so i went with navy blue that turned out not so navy blue. it still looks neat. I'm 6'9, so with the huge unadjustable couch bench seat taking up half the cab, it wasn't very comfortable. now i've got most of the cab for person space instead of seat space, and can even touch my knees to the steering column. which i can't do in most vehicles.

The truck i bought for $750 sight unseen from an auction 150 kms away listed as a non-runner, but it runs and drives absolutely perfectly. it had about 195k kms(about 121k miles) on a 7.3 powerstroke and the engine is probably the best 4r100 i've felt. it locks up at 1000 RPM and stays locked up until it drops back under ~750. so you can hit 4th at 65kph, drop back to a 60kph and just idle down the road. or you can mash the loud pedal, make a bunch of noise, and hit 60 in about 7 seconds.

I've got a thread for it, but progress has been put on pause while i mess with a bunch of wheels and stuff.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3734747

look at that, that shouldn't happen, that seat rail is bolted right there into the factory ford seat bolt hole with the factory ford seat bolt, and that's where the seat rail bottoms out. 1/16/th of an inch from the contour of the cab, matching the contour of the cab.

Now I know what to look for when you're driving around.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

El Scotch posted:

Now I know what to look for when you're driving around.

yeah :(

This is the reason my "little car" is a 5 series.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

What a bunch of pussies! At 6'2" I drive in this almost every day:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

yeah, makes sense considering you're so short :smug:

I bet t-shirts go all the way down to your waist, too.

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

2007 GT, got it used (one previous owner, and only 6000K miles on it!), love it, want to do things to its engine.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Bill Dungsroman posted:

2007 GT, got it used (one previous owner, and only 6000K miles on it!), love it, want to do things to its engine.

6000k miles? I hope the previous owner's round trip daily commute to the sun was "all highway miles"

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Ether Frenzy posted:

6000k miles? I hope the previous owner's round trip daily commute to the sun was "all highway miles"

Just put it in reverse and watch those miles fly off :haw:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Tamir Lenk posted:

What a bunch of pussies! At 6'2" I drive in this almost every day:

Powershift is actually 8'11" or something. He has to take a break halfway through sitting down to avoid getting pressurization sickness.

I saw him palm a 351 Windsor at the yard.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Yeah but how many trees did he cut down and where's his ox?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Powershift is actually 8'11" or something. He has to take a break halfway through sitting down to avoid getting pressurization sickness.

I saw him palm a 351 Windsor at the yard.

This made me laugh way more than it should have.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.
There it is, in a magazine. That's right, there are still magazines being printed!

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
As hilarious as daily driving a Viper is, I decided I needed something with a bit more space. My friend had this spare '87 300D turbo sitting around that he gave me:

It's great being able to fill up once a month instead of every other trip.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Das Volk posted:

As hilarious as daily driving a Viper is, I decided I needed something with a bit more space. My friend had this spare '87 300D turbo sitting around that he gave me:

It's great being able to fill up once a month instead of every other trip.

This and the Viper need to be in a buddy-cop series with the new hot young officer partnering with the old lieutenant who's about to retire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Night Danger Moose posted:

This and the Viper need to be in a buddy-cop series with the new hot young officer partnering with the old lieutenant who's about to retire.

Obviously with the old cop driving the Viper.