Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's

FRINGE posted:

The rangers arrest people? That ... doesnt make sense?

There are multiple agencies that go by "rangers" - The BLM (Federal Law Enforcement types) and the Black Rock Rangers (the guys in khaki/tan, Burning Man volunteers). BLM have authority to arrest and cite people and patrol the event rather heavily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
An event on public land with almost 70,000 people has cops??? :eyepop:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
I had never heard the BLM referred to as rangers before.

They sure were mad about those choco-tacos and butter fountains I guess.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

What did they get arrested for? There was an article published recently with the FOIA requests about BM'13 which had exactly two arrests the whole week, both for punching a BLM Ranger ("simple assault"). Has BLM gotten way worse in the last two years?

RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx

OniKun posted:

Working at the airport gate, I got to meet tons of the exact wrong types of people who seem to be flooding the event.

That's why I didn't work Airport. I heard enough stories about assholes asking Gate staff to take their bags to camp and everything. Apparently Gate staff were told not to be snarky or surly to anyone at the Airport either. gently caress that noise, I'll stick to the lanes.

quote:

Working Gate Actual, I met more than one delivery guy who had the sole job of driving in and dropping off some massive RV, only to fly out on a charter plane a few hours later, with a functioning EA pass from a theme camp and a ticket. I think about the burner who wanted to make a (funky art project/funny interactive thing) who could not get a ticket so one of these guys could deliver an RV.

Dealt with this too. Lots of people with functioning EA and whatnot just to drop off RVs.

I had fun though, probably my favorite year. I'd just go back to the BHB to be reminded of the cool people that make this event when I dealt with too many assholes. I just avoid the rear end in a top hat magnets on 2 and 10. I'm not a hotgirl and the guys on Robot Heart let me skip the line and watch sunrise. I dunno. Results vary :shobon:

RACHET fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 11, 2015

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

RACHET posted:

This is just posturing. EDC and Burning Man bring in way too much money for a state like Nevada to gently caress themselves over by losing those events.

Money to Walmart maybe.

If burners want to get out of the Playa which has one of the best night skies in the entire United States, then that's on them I think.

http://www.rgj.com/story/life/arts/burning-man/2014/08/16/burning-mans-bottom-line/14165499/ posted:

There are caveats to the estimated spending because not all participants stop in Nevada to buy food or lodging. And while many are buying gas within the state, most of the return to Nevada is via gas taxes which are applied to state roads and road construction and the rest of the profits would go to corporate owners.

For those spending money at stores such as Safeway, Raley's and Walmart, what remains locally are the wages to the employees because the profits would also go to corporate entities, he said.

Bonnenfant said that, without specific Nevada Burning Man survey results, the center can't accurately calculate the economic impact.

Like a lot of my friends go every year, and it seems fun and all, but as it gets bigger it's getting less tolerable to residents on a whole. I live in Reno, and I'd personally be more welcoming if every dusty RV I see wasn't stopping at Walmart or an equivalent to buy their supplies. Ice is a caveat there. At least the ice is generally bought locally. The ice company owners are good people (I used to work there).

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007

SolTerrasa posted:

What did they get arrested for? There was an article published recently with the FOIA requests about BM'13 which had exactly two arrests the whole week, both for punching a BLM Ranger ("simple assault"). Has BLM gotten way worse in the last two years?

The majority of arrests I witnessed first hand, or heard of second hand were for appropriate causes appropriate.

The amount of vehicles being searched after a K9 "signaled" was about the same. That aspect of LEO activity remains a clear cash grab.

I feel like the LEO presence is about the same, however now that they have a station on esplanade (and retain their heavy presence out near point 1), there is less showing of the flag. Backup is never far away...

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007

RACHET posted:

I'd just go back to the BHB to be reminded of the cool people that make this event when I dealt with too many assholes.

Pretty sure it's the classiest bar on playa. I loved rolling up to 0600 shifts to hear Billie Holiday or Patsy Cline on the 'jukebox".

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

How were the bugs? What temperature was it getting down to?

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Nifty posted:

It dipped under 40 for the burn night but I couldn't say how far. The weather report was predicting 41

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Nifty posted:

We saw a bug once. It looked pretty weird! No big issues, no one I know got a single bug bite.

And yeah, it got really cold; we left after the burn and our car's external thermometer said 36. Take that with a grain of salt, but still, it was cold. I felt really bad for the folks hitching to Reno; it must have been really rough standing outside in the exodus line.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

FRINGE posted:

Get all those triphop and downtempo hours up on soundcloud for the poor beleaguered job-havers. :(

3/4 of my sets:

https://www.mixcloud.com/playlists/burning-man-2015

(sorry no soundcloud, out of my control. I have them up on dropbox if you want to download PM me)

Gotta take my macbook in for servicing, will upload the last one whenever I get it back

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

RACHET posted:

Dealt with this too. Lots of people with functioning EA and whatnot just to drop off RVs.

I had fun though, probably my favorite year. I'd just go back to the BHB to be reminded of the cool people that make this event when I dealt with too many assholes. I just avoid the rear end in a top hat magnets on 2 and 10. I'm not a hotgirl and the guys on Robot Heart let me skip the line and watch sunrise. I dunno. Results vary :shobon:

Given the number of burners I know who wanted to go but couldn't score tickets early enough to make the logistics of coming in from somewhere outside of SF/Reno work?

gently caress those guys with a rake.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
My first ever theme camp is near completion and will be premiering at afterburn in Florida at the beginning of November. If any goon burners plan on attending come by Camp Creepshow to see the haunted house! Ask for Nemo and I will do a pickleback with you!

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Camped next to a turnkey-ish camp... made some friends and ended up appropriating a few chairs to make up for a shortfall in our own camp. Worked out fine and they weren't bad neighbors, but it was weird that for all that they had this big area staked out and organized stuff all they had for interaction was a streetside bar and... that's about it. The whole thing never really looked like it was occupied, or became lived in. It was just in a state of perpetual construction, organizing, and re-arranging. There were lots of darkwads out there, myself included a couple of nights when I had only a short little jog to make and didn't want to bother with loading up with lots of blinkers. My bike was nice and lit up so I often went out without body lights and relied on that when I wasn't at some art installation.

We kept on getting weather reports from DPW, including a report on Friday night that if precipitation occurred that it'd come down as snow. I was running around like it was Christmas I was so jazzed. Then I passed out later that evening in front of my bar on doorman duty (don't worry, the barkeeps saw me snoozing and took over) under a giant furry coat and a half-bottle of rye from the neighbors for warmth. It was a pretty good night. :)

Is tycho a magician or something? I'd totes be down for a magic show on the playa.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Edit: No longer relevant.

Throwdown fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 28, 2016

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
About to leave for Love Burn, I am one of the fire leads this weekend. Anyone else going?

Terminus
May 6, 2008
I've got a friend going this year and it looks like a ton of fun, but it's a bit too far and too expensive for me at the moment. Plus I've got Frostburn to plan for! I've got all my cold weather gear from last year and the weather can't possibly be worse this year...can it? :ohdear:

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
It's been a pretty unseasonably warm winter, so maybe?

Terminus
May 6, 2008
My personal hope is 30s to 40s with some snow. But honestly as long as we don't have the sustained winds and below zero temps it will be better than last year. Around 30 tents got destroyed, including mine while I was napping in it. Even some of the sturdier structures at the theme camps got messed up pretty bad.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
To continue my continuous train of regionals, next up for the year is Preheat. Anyone planning on attending? Also, Love Burn was absolutely amazing and keeps getting better every year.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.
Transformus tickets go on sale Sunday!

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Heading to BEquinox, the LA regional this weekend!

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Wife and I purchased our tickets for the big burn )'(
This was through the Direct Sale program, available to established theme camps :)

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Hey all, this is a bit of an odd question so sorry in advanced and further apologizes if this post does not belong here. A friend of mine is doing a capstone research project on Burning Man and is having trouble finding volunteers to take an anonymous online survey about people's experiences. She has apparently approached both the eplaya forum and the main BM page but apparently has been turned down due to it being seen as advertisement or self promotion and is running out of ideas. I was wondering if any of y'all would be interested in helping out. If so I can either email you the link or post it in this thread if that is acceptable. Thanks!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Telsa Cola posted:

Hey all, this is a bit of an odd question so sorry in advanced and further apologizes if this post does not belong here. A friend of mine is doing a capstone research project on Burning Man and is having trouble finding volunteers to take an anonymous online survey about people's experiences. She has apparently approached both the eplaya forum and the main BM page but apparently has been turned down due to it being seen as advertisement or self promotion and is running out of ideas. I was wondering if any of y'all would be interested in helping out. If so I can either email you the link or post it in this thread if that is acceptable. Thanks!

Try the Burning Man Facebook groups and groups for regional burns as well

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

goodness posted:

Try the Burning Man Facebook groups and groups for regional burns as well

That is a good idea, I'll let her know. Thanks.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Has anyone been to Firefly? (a New England burn)

Signups just opened and I'm hoping to get in this year and finally get to go to a burn myself.

Eldritch Sandwich
Nov 1, 2007
Baked by Beelzebub
I've been to Firefly a number of times, it's probably my favorite regional. I highly recommend checking it out if you get the opportunity. Come swing by Totenkitten and say hi to Longship!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I definitely will, assuming I get in. I hear that as long as you stick it out getting your hands on a ticket is actually pretty likely right?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Main sale is tomorrow, everyone got their popcorn so we can watch what flavor of clusterfuck it turns into this year?

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Liquid Communism posted:

Main sale is tomorrow, everyone got their popcorn so we can watch what flavor of clusterfuck it turns into this year?

Blue? Well, best of luck to everyone. I'll be joining the fray again as well this year. If that doesn't pan out, I'll probably do another regional or two. Firefly looks awesome.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Anyone doing Euphoria this year? Might be looking for a group to camp with since my usual group probably isn't gonna make it :[

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Dubstep Jesus posted:

Anyone doing Euphoria this year? Might be looking for a group to camp with since my usual group probably isn't gonna make it :[

You should check out the Full Moon Gathering in April in Florida, will have a really great vibes and people

Barnes And Body Works
Mar 2, 2016

:shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom:
:chillout:
I did really want to go to burning man, but I heard from someone that people have been drugged via their drinks that they personally know, and that basically most people that go here are to get high/drunk and have coitus. :(

While I do find that kinda hard to believe that "EVERYONE" is like that, seeing this thread makes me feel extremely conflicted about that considering this festival looks really fuckin' awesome, I'm really interested in the concerts and artistic works of the festival and as well being in the middle of the desert for this huge festival sounds incredible!

While the closest to a desert I've been in is around Las Vegas, (Surprisingly it was extremely cold when I went, and I'm from Canada for that fact.) and this is quite far away (11h or so) from Las Vegas. This honestly seemed like a really cool idea to me, and something that I would want to possibly partake in once. :)

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Poodge posted:

I did really want to go to burning man, but I heard from someone that people have been drugged via their drinks that they personally know, and that basically most people that go here are to get high/drunk and have coitus. :(

While I do find that kinda hard to believe that "EVERYONE" is like that, seeing this thread makes me feel extremely conflicted about that considering this festival looks really fuckin' awesome, I'm really interested in the concerts and artistic works of the festival and as well being in the middle of the desert for this huge festival sounds incredible!

While the closest to a desert I've been in is around Las Vegas, (Surprisingly it was extremely cold when I went, and I'm from Canada for that fact.) and this is quite far away (11h or so) from Las Vegas. This honestly seemed like a really cool idea to me, and something that I would want to possibly partake in once. :)

You don't have to drink or have sex to partake in burning man, but you do have to be independent enough to know your limits and plan ahead. Does stupid poo poo happen? Sometimes, but if you are cautious you should be fine.

That said it is a great experience that will most likely change the way you see the world and inject raw playa dust into your veins and make you never want to leave.

Also try to find a friend you know from the outside world or two and go with them, it is very nice that way if you are worried. You could already vet someone and then go with them.

Barnes And Body Works
Mar 2, 2016

:shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom:
:chillout:

White Chocolate posted:

You don't have to drink or have sex to partake in burning man, but you do have to be independent enough to know your limits and plan ahead. Does stupid poo poo happen? Sometimes, but if you are cautious you should be fine.

That said it is a great experience that will most likely change the way you see the world and inject raw playa dust into your veins and make you never want to leave.

Also try to find a friend you know from the outside world or two and go with them, it is very nice that way if you are worried. You could already vet someone and then go with them.

Thank you very much for this reply! And yeah! I was curious about that, I was figuring why would some of that stuff have happened to the poor person it did happen to unless they were going with sketchy people in the first place or weren't being relatively independent and knowing necessarily what to do.
Oh well, if I ever do find someone to go with eventually and I can make enough money to I will! I really love the artistic shtick around this festival though holy poo poo, it looks so cool.

Terminus
May 6, 2008
Just to add in as well, you could always try a regional first. They're smaller of course, but they're also cheaper for tickets, set up, and travel. I've yet to go to the big burn in the desert but I've loved every regional I've been to. Next one will be my 9th and my camp is setting up a big tower made of scaffolding covered in lights so people can climb it and look out over the muddy swamp in Delaware playa.
Here's a list of the ones in Canada if you're interested.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_regional_Burning_Man_events#Canada

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm in this queue with no idea as to whether or not I will actually be able to buy a ticket. All I see is some green bar slowly inching along. It wouldn't be a problem but I am actually losing sleep over this, it's 4:24AM where I am.

update: whelp this looks like the beginning of the end, thanks for playing!

quote:

Message last updated: 12:35 PM
All tickets are already in other people’s carts. Hold tight, there is still a chance tickets may become available. If ticket buyers ahead of you do not complete their purchase, those tickets will be released for sale.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
FML. Looks like another summer of regionals. Not that it's a bad thing. I'll just have to take a vacation out west instead.

• Locked thread