Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So as a side note, I found out that the group that scanlated a lot of Negima has disappeared from everywhere but IRC. Website, forum, it's all gone.

Weird to think Negima was so long ago that entire communities started and died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

PerrineClostermann posted:

So as a side note, I found out that the group that scanlated a lot of Negima has disappeared from everywhere but IRC. Website, forum, it's all gone.

Weird to think Negima was so long ago that entire communities started and died.

It's really weird because I worked with Meow when I was back in middle school and now I'm finishing grad school.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

New chapter out.

Talking immortality and the death of humanity while playing mahjong. Slow chapter, but still amusing.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
This chapter was hilarious.

"So hey, lets say one day the earth explodes." "That was abrupt." :allears:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So what do you know, Touta actually has a concrete goal now. It is completely impossible for him but it is still better than nothing.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kirie owning herself was pretty good.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Serious Frolicking posted:

It is completely impossible for him but it is still better than nothing.
Not until he meets Jack. :colbert:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm pleasantly surprised they brought up the issue with being immortal for so long you live after the Sun expands/consumes the Earth.

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
Chapter was so good

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

I'm pleasantly surprised they brought up the issue with being immortal for so long you live after the Sun expands/consumes the Earth.

Mildly surprised they didn't pass mention at Kars.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

ConanThe3rd posted:

Mildly surprised they didn't pass mention at Kars.

He did die, technically. It says in his epilogue that he eventually stopped thinking. The body lived on but everything that was Kars died.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Nyaa posted:

Not until he meets Jack. :colbert:

I was talking about getting through Eva's ingrained tragic heroine schtick. Strongest in the world? Sure, why not, he is a shounen fighting manga protagonist with an infinite life span. But Eva's got centuries of baggage that lead her to believe she doesn't deserve to be happy. That poo poo is impenetrable.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nate RFB posted:

On the other hand, nobody mentioned they could just get their rear end to Mars and wait out the sun's Red Giant phase. Of course after that, it collapses down to a white dwarf and it'd probably get real, real, cold on Mars.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Shugojin posted:

He did die, technically. It says in his epilogue that he eventually stopped thinking. The body lived on but everything that was Kars died.
Given this comic is largely about how not really imortal every imortal is, that's perfectly in tune.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Kirie's not really immortal, right? She'll live to a normal human age. She just has infinite retries.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

HellCopter posted:

Kirie's not really immortal, right? She'll live to a normal human age. She just has infinite retries.

If she encounters a death that she cannot escape from, the universe will be stuck in an infinite loop. After an infinite number of tries, she'll either find a way to stop aging, or a way to die and stay dead, or time will cease to exist.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Avulsion posted:

If she encounters a death that she cannot escape from, the universe will be stuck in an infinite loop. After an infinite number of tries, she'll either find a way to stop aging, or a way to die and stay dead, or time will cease to exist.

Or snuff out the candle if she didn't set a return point that prevents her from reaching it.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Kirie's seems like the weakest of the "better" immortality gimmicks. She can survive her entire body (and soul?) being destroyed, which puts her above the ones who can't like the android, but if she forgets to place a save point after the last one burns down it's game over. It might even be possible for other people to snuff out the candle if they find it.

Also she has to deal with idiots in a time loop. A fate worse than death.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
She has a horrifically vulnerable immortality, and I'm mostly just amazed she's confident enough that it will work each time to actually use her power.

I'd behave like a mortal at all times with her power.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
That's why Kirie is basically the Intel team. I doubt Dana was teaching her any kung-fu.

But yeah, I'd be incredibly cautious if my main source of power could be erased by a stiff wind. Akamatsu is good with not killing off characters, but Kirie really is the most likely to have her immortality threatened.

HellCopter fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Sep 17, 2015

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Does it have to stay lit? I always thought it was one of those RPG game things where as long as you can light a candle and do your little save prayer you're good to go.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I'd be paranoid as hell that I'd get murdered two seconds after using a save point, making it impossible to escape and be stuck in the loop of endless death forever.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

nftyw posted:

Does it have to stay lit? I always thought it was one of those RPG game things where as long as you can light a candle and do your little save prayer you're good to go.

She set up a ridiculously large candle when they met up during training, so that would imply it only works as long as it burns.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I feel like they would have brought it up at this point because that is such an obviously conspicuous weakness of her powers as-is.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

I feel like they would have brought it up at this point because that is such an obviously conspicuous weakness of her powers as-is.
That and I doubt if her save points were so fragile that she'd be so eager to build strategies based on her triumphantly chomping on cyanide.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I assume that her save points can be deactivated somehow, since she set a special one for the test. And yeah, otherwise that means eventually she'll hit a death she can't avoid and the universe will be stuck in an infinite loop.

Though on the subject of aging, even if she has no special defense against it she's surrounded by other immortals. I know Touta is special circumstances, but was it ever clear if Touta/Eva can turn normal humans? If so and she decides she doesn't want to age she could always ask one of them to do it. Or ask the other guy where to find some mermaid flesh.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm going to guess that she has to set a save point, but once it's set it will be good for a given duration. It wouldn't matter if it was destroyed after that. But after that duration if she died it'd be for keeps. In the case of this recent arc they knew they would need a week or so so she had to set a bigger one. Like going to the grocery store every now and then to avoid starving, as long as she keeps a buffer (or stores up in the case of a bigger candle) she'd be fine.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
She has infinite time to research and a wide variety of immortals to consult. I dunno how she could fail to obtain another form of immortality if she was so inclined. I'd say that the mermaid flesh thing would work out pretty well for her, as that guy is only immortal in the sense of not aging.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Dunno, what if instead she automatically loops back once the candle burns out?
It fits better with her actions.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
From what I gathered, Kirie has infinite loops. The size of the candle just determines how much time she can go back. So if she has a giant building sized candle in a cave somewhere, conceivably, Kirie could loop back years.

For the issue of vulnerability, I don't even see why she can't have multiple redundant loops. I like the idea of returning automatically if forget to set a new one.

I wonder what the source of her immortality is though. If it's just magic then this is something anyone could acquire after all.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 17, 2015

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Pretty sure time magic is still out of the reach everyone in that universe. Aside from Dana or some other unspecified immortal.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

InfinityComplex posted:

Pretty sure time magic is still out of the reach everyone in that universe. Aside from Dana or some other unspecified immortal.

Have you read Negima?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ChronoReverse posted:

Have you read Negima?

Chao's time travel is technological, not magical.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

It's a technologically controlled device (for Chao, Negi magic-controlled his) but it's powered by magic.

Also, time-displacement bullets.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Well, it was magitech I think, but it required the power of the World Tree at the peak of its 22 year mana-gathering cycle. So yeah, completely unfeasible unless there have been new developments in the UQ Holder universe.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Silento posted:

Well, it was magitech I think, but it required the power of the World Tree at the peak of its 22 year mana-gathering cycle. So yeah, completely unfeasible unless there have been new developments in the UQ Holder universe.

Only for long time jumps (you can do 24 hours jumps with a single person's power). But it's not like the World Tree is the only way to gather large amounts of magical energy.

Either way, it's a magical effect with technology being used to make it precise. Which someone at Negi's level can substitute using more magic. It's not really different from any other magical artifact at that point.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I'd say the time travel is the easy part in Kirie's power. The full thing's prolly trickier to replicate.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/UQ-Holder/Stage-095?id=242507

New chapter, and some familiar faces.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So, barring weird poo poo Setsuna and Konoka probably didn't get married. The most obvious explanation is that their kids did. That's a shame, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I give Touto an 8/10. Reverting your body from a fine red mist to deliver both a feint and overhead slash is :black101: as gently caress. But he still can't really nail the final poses. Plus his detached arm took way too long to reattach after he used it for a distraction. The blood spiral is a nice touch, but ideally he should have both his arms in case he needs to defend himself from further attacks.

Also, Is that Ayaka?

• Locked thread