Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I wasn't talking about just them, I meant in general. I can't watch people play Sonic Adventure because there's always that moment where they're like "haha but really this game is nowhere near as good as you thought it was before now viewer" and it's like but who gives a poo poo. I don't need someone to go out of their way to try and prove to me that a game I did or didn't like is bad.

That's fair. So you're grand with LPers ripping into the game while playing but if they go "Everybody who liked this game is dumb!" that's the sort of stuff that turns you away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think the difference is in the attitude. To use Game Grumps as an example: When Arin shits on whichever Legend of Zelda game is the one he doesn't like, I don't remember what one, he understands that he is in the minority. He shits on the game with an air of humor because he understands that there are lots of people that like that game and whether his criticisms are legitimate or not, it's just his opinion. Dan goes OHHH or whatever and they both laugh. With Sonic Adventure specifically, there is that moment where it crosses the line between focusing on utilizing humor in the criticism and focusing on the criticism itself. It's a comedy show, but there's nothing entertaining about just saying "this is bad" even if it is exaggerated for effect.

It's fine to not like Sonic Adventure, because it's not a very good game all things considered, but saying that I am wrong for liking it is what I take issue with. And that goes with any game, I just don't like LPs that have that as a stepping stone.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Listening to the first Sonic Adventure video i'm not getting a crazy hatred feeling of the game from them.

They're making fun of the cutscenes which is grand. They're getting weird glitches which are pretty funny.

Do they just go mental later on in the videos or something?

Their Sonic Adventure playthrough ranges from really funny to unwatchable garbage. It's a crapshoot.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Only issue with this is that unless they constantly call out those who like/dislike the game as dumb it's usually a really small part of the LP. In most cases it's due to crazy people commenting that they're wrong about their opinion on the game.

Stink Terios posted:

Their Sonic Adventure playthrough ranges from really funny to unwatchable garbage. It's a crapshoot.
Honestly I feel that way with all of their videos. I'm not seeing how Sonic is the worst.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
In their defense I've played SA for the first time recently and it's pretty awful so I can understand a lot of the frustration they might feel about the game.

I haven't watched the videos though so maybe they go over the top with it

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Only issue with this is that unless they constantly call out those who like/dislike the game as dumb it's usually a really small part of the LP. In most cases it's due to crazy people commenting that they're wrong about their opinion on the game.

The problem is Arin going way over the top on his hate of the game, and due to his lack of attention most of his complaints miss the point super hard and are outright wrong. Multiple episodes consist entirely of whining.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I'm not bothered to go watching all of this to find where he really tears into the game.

The comments are full of "You're playing it wrong!" :qq: which is pretty dumb.

E: Okay he's just loving around

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 9, 2015

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I still get angry YouTube messages about a Sonic Adventure 2 LP I did like a year ago now. There are a lot of really salty people that get angry at any criticism of SA1 or 2.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The Bayonetta 2 LP's another good example of the comments section going mental because they didn't shower the game with constant praise.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Golden Goat posted:

Listening to the first Sonic Adventure video i'm not getting a crazy hatred feeling of the game from them.

They're making fun of the cutscenes which is grand. They're getting weird glitches which are pretty funny.

Do they just go mental later on in the videos or something?
Well, FWIW, this is the series where they basically called for people to start hating on a guy who wrote a Knuckles FAQ on GameFAQs when he was 12 and forgot to mention that the emerald locations were randomized - although they quickly realized what they'd just done, pulled the episode, and reuploaded it with that poo poo edited out.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Shadow Hog posted:

Well, FWIW, this is the series where they basically called for people to start hating on a guy who wrote a Knuckles FAQ on GameFAQs when he was 12 and forgot to mention that the emerald locations were randomized - although they quickly realized what they'd just done, pulled the episode, and reuploaded it with that poo poo edited out.

Did they tell people to go read the faq cause it's ridiculous or did they actually tell people to go hassle the faq maker.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

If I recall correctly, the latter.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Shadow Hog posted:

If I recall correctly, the latter.

This was brought up before and I believe it was actually the former.

They later called out the lovely behavior and are on good terms with the guy who made the FAQ.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I did a bit of research about this when it was still recent:

quote:

Arin said this before the episode was taken down. People on the internet are lovely.

Here is Dan's comment on the matter after it went back up.... to which the guide's original writer responded!

See, this is why slowbeef and diabetus don't mention the names of the people involved in their retsupuraes anymore.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Ah, my mistake. I actually haven't watched the video, only heard about the kerfuffle second-hand.

Yeah, they'd apologized profusely when they took the video down, and the FAQ maker was pretty chill about the whole situation even before they came out and did that.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

There also was this one time when they made a joke admittedly in bad taste during their Disney Princess LP and when people complained about it they put a trigger warning there.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Danaru posted:

I still get angry YouTube messages about a Sonic Adventure 2 LP I did like a year ago now. There are a lot of really salty people that get angry at any criticism of SA1 or 2.

Golden Goat posted:

The Bayonetta 2 LP's another good example of the comments section going mental because they didn't shower the game with constant praise.

What I get from this is that inevitably I'm going to get death threats for my SimAnt LP.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Shadow Hog posted:

Yeah, they'd apologized profusely when they took the video down, and the FAQ maker was pretty chill about the whole situation even before they came out and did that.

Relevant:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The Sonic Adventure games have aged poorly like a million other games from the same time, it's just those games from back then have either faded into obscurity or have improved themselves over time, while Sonic is still seen as a joke with some people conceding Generations was good. The problem comes from everyone doing one of those old Sonic games and having the same "This is terrible" reactions and at this point someone coming in and having a little fun with it would probably be more entertaining to watch.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

bobjr posted:

The Sonic Adventure games have aged poorly like a million other games from the same time, it's just those games from back then have either faded into obscurity or have improved themselves over time, while Sonic is still seen as a joke with some people conceding Generations was good. The problem comes from everyone doing one of those old Sonic games and having the same "This is terrible" reactions and at this point someone coming in and having a little fun with it would probably be more entertaining to watch.

Here this dudes pretty positive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8Ymby0n2no

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Golden Goat posted:

Oh my god some of these video titles:
- Why Star Fox has NO LEGS, The REAL Reason!

:confused:

Theory busted?

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Leal posted:

Theory busted?

Can't tell if you're joking, but they meant the metal leg thing they had going for the first few games. Except you wouldn't be able to tell from the video title and the audience watching these videos probably isn't aware of it either. I also like the seed of doubt they try to plant with "The REAL reason", as if there's a fake reason going around somewhere.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Leal posted:

Theory busted?

I believe the theory is that the flying animals of the Star Fox universe had their legs amputated and replaced with mechanical prosthetics to keep them from passing out from g-forces or some bullshit.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Yeah, if you look back at the original promo art, they have very obvious prosthetic legs. I don't think any of their depictions since the very beginning did that, though.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Cheez posted:

I also like the seed of doubt they try to plant with "The REAL reason", as if there's a fake reason going around somewhere.

To be kinda fair to this one, there is a common theory (a game theory) about them having robotic legs to keep blood localized in the upper body, in the same way real pilots wear flight suits that restrict circulation. so the video is about how that's bullshit and dumb and the REAL reason is that it's just to give them human legs so they can do human things or something like that.

And then all this talk about what pilots do and how poo poo works and dumb pictures for everything fills up time in the middle there and you either find it interesting or you don't.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

senrath posted:

Yeah, if you look back at the original promo art, they have very obvious prosthetic legs. I don't think any of their depictions since the very beginning did that, though.

I don't know about you, but I don't think I'd tuck my pants into my robotic legs (timg for huge: rectangle for emphasis).

As an added bonus, look in the back there and notice that the only "prosthetic" part of Falco's legs are his feet, which really would defeat the purpose I think if this idea had any weight. It's really more likely that when they made the little promo models for all this they made them this way so they'd actually stand up, but people still love to drag out this "theory" every so often. Kind of like the "Link was dead the whole time in Majora's Mask" theory that people can't seem to let go of either.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Jamesman posted:

so the video is about how that's bullshit and dumb and the REAL reason is that it's just to give them human legs so they can do human things or something like that.
That doesn't work when you realize they didn't need to do that to give them human hands, which they have.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Lmao, so this is as secondhand info as it gets so take this with a huge grain on salt, but apparently nintendo asked suzy (arin's wife who has her own bideo games channel) to play some game of theirs and she was like sure, and then they immediately content ID'd said video and tried to get her to sign up for their creators program thing when she complained about it

Nintendo is really good at the internet you guys

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

On that note, I've heard that Nintendo's apparently outright pulling videos featuring TASes or ROM hacks of their games.

I mean, I suppose it's their right, but that's still kind of awful.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Nintendo is more and more ridiculous about online content all the time.

"Nooooo! Why are you showing people that our games are fun! Stop saying good things!"

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
They have to be fun only in the way Nintendo wants them.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Shadow Hog posted:

On that note, I've heard that Nintendo's apparently outright pulling videos featuring TASes or ROM hacks of their games.

I mean, I suppose it's their right, but that's still kind of awful.
That was news from March, and it only hit Nicovideo. I can't find any confirmation of anything being removed from YouTube, only content ID matches being put on videos (and sometimes removed, apparently?)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

I don't know about you, but I don't think I'd tuck my pants into my robotic legs (timg for huge: rectangle for emphasis).

As an added bonus, look in the back there and notice that the only "prosthetic" part of Falco's legs are his feet, which really would defeat the purpose I think if this idea had any weight. It's really more likely that when they made the little promo models for all this they made them this way so they'd actually stand up, but people still love to drag out this "theory" every so often. Kind of like the "Link was dead the whole time in Majora's Mask" theory that people can't seem to let go of either.

Huh, never knew about that. I think they just did that cause it looked cool.

Also Fox still has the upper part of his organic leg so
:goonsay:

Yardbomb posted:

Nintendo is more and more ridiculous about online content all the time.

"Nooooo! Why are you showing people that our games are fun! Stop saying good things!"

I don't think Nintendo "gets" the internet.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Cheez posted:

That was news from March, and it only hit Nicovideo. I can't find any confirmation of anything being removed from YouTube, only content ID matches being put on videos (and sometimes removed, apparently?)

http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=417576#417576

quote:

Nintendo encourages fan engagement on YouTube through the Nintendo Creators Program. Under the program, participants are granted a license to use Nintendo’s characters, games, and other intellectual property, subject to the Code of Conduct included with the agreement. However, please note that this Code of Conduct prohibits you, among other things, from posting any content using unauthorized software or copies of games. This includes videos featuring tool-assisted speedruns, which require making a copy of a game's ROM file, and running the copied ROM through an emulator. If you are interested in learning more about the Nintendo Creators Program, please see: https://r.ncp.nintendo.net/

Dunno if anything was outright removed yet, but it's clear Nintendo doesn't like TAS.

e: I just myself linked a source saying videos were deleted, what am I doing

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
lmao I remember when people were cheering Nintendo on for using TAS footage in their E3 video

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Monicro posted:

Lmao, so this is as secondhand info as it gets so take this with a huge grain on salt, but apparently nintendo asked suzy (arin's wife who has her own bideo games channel) to play some game of theirs and she was like sure, and then they immediately content ID'd said video and tried to get her to sign up for their creators program thing when she complained about it

Nintendo is really good at the internet you guys
Considering they did the Shovel Knight amiibo promo for them I wouldn't be too surprised something like that happened.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Well there we go. I was sure Nintendo knew about this for ages so what caused them to change their minds? Especially since I don't think they're allowed by law to go this far and ban TAS only on the grounds that you must infringe on their software to do it.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Cheez posted:

Well there we go. I was sure Nintendo knew about this for ages so what caused them to change their minds? Especially since I don't think they're allowed by law to go this far and ban TAS only on the grounds that you must infringe on their software to do it.

The guess made in the Wii U thread is probably Mario Maker coming out, so they see the romhack community as a mild "threat" to the functionality of Mario Maker. It's a bit dumb and paranoid, but seems like as good a guess as any.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Stink Terios posted:

Their Sonic Adventure playthrough is the best thing ever and I'll fight you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Jsor posted:

The guess made in the Wii U thread is probably Mario Maker coming out, so they see the romhack community as a mild "threat" to the functionality of Mario Maker. It's a bit dumb and paranoid, but seems like as good a guess as any.

I think it's actually very dumb. I mean, why go against the consumer base, especially when they did all the market research for you?

• Locked thread