Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

cobalt impurity posted:

It's a spendy hobby full of rich dipshits that are too busy smelling their own cinnamon-scented farts to consider their lovely stances W.R.T. these Chinese knockoff pens. They're a crapshoot and an obvious knockoff, but they're acceptable quality pens for like, two (2) dollars.

But lord forbid we not constantly lambaste a pen for being made outside of either Za Fatherland or Glorious Nippon.

my farts smell like poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

cobalt impurity posted:

It's a spendy hobby full of rich dipshits that are too busy smelling their own cinnamon-scented farts to consider their lovely stances W.R.T. these Chinese knockoff pens. They're a crapshoot and an obvious knockoff, but they're acceptable quality pens for like, two (2) dollars.

But lord forbid we not constantly lambaste a pen for being made outside of either Za Fatherland or Glorious Nippon.

Chinese knockoff pens are the epitome of "does what it says on the tin." Sure, you might get one that made it past QC but you're pretty much able to buy them by the pound so having one squib is pretty much the most white-people thing to cry over.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Soricidus posted:

parker also make some decent pens.

i just don't get why you'd bother buying a lovely knockoff pen, when you could just have a good non-knockoff pen instead. you don't have to be rich to splurge a princely fifteen (15) dollars on a pilot metro, which is neither a crapshoot nor an obvious knockoff.

Wow look at Daddy Warbucks here. Not all of us have stacks of filthy lucre to throw around! Some of us have to steal geese from the park and make our own pens!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Speaking of cheap-but-good fountain pens you can get a Jinhao X450 off of eBay right now for $0.99 shipped.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

tater_salad posted:

I wouldn't recommend this but type in Jinhao into amazon.. they are stupid cheap.. write okay, and have lots of different styles / look like clones of other pens.

Edit: you can grow your pen collection right quick with these bad boys for pennies on the dollar. I've had 1 bum one out of 3.

No Amazon for me, living in the Netherlands they simply have no presence here. So I go to Ebay and then specifically ebay Ireland because the site is in English and currency is Euro's. Using ebay.nl will filter out a fuckton of results because of reasons I do not understand.

cobalt impurity posted:

Die Heimat?

grack posted:

Speaking of cheap-but-good fountain pens you can get a Jinhao X450 off of eBay right now for $0.99 shipped.
Searching for Jinhao and sorting by P+P lowest first will get you some interesting results.

But yeah, likeky there are some crappy pens for that price, my daughters are pretty happy with their fancy stuff tho. And look, 10 standard converters for $1,50 including shipping!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Keetron posted:

Searching for Jinhao and sorting by P+P lowest first will get you some interesting results.

Those pens are the ones I was talking about at the end of the last page. They're Safari copies (obviously) but they write really well, come with a high quality converter and have a damned good standard #5 nib. I've probably given away 10 or 12 and everyone I've given one to loves them. I test them first but I haven't had a bad one yet.

This, however, was the listing I was talking about : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Students-Collectable-Vintage-Fountain-Pen-Medium-Nib-Black-Gold-Stainless-/351462897432?hash=item51d4d23718

Edit: And before you mention it, the Safari patent would've run out in 2005, so yes, they're legal.

grack fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Sep 10, 2015

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

It seems the chinese vendors keep cutting on each other's prices. Good for us, the consumer. We'll see how long this business model stays sustainable.

And the genuine Lamy Safari I bought for my daughter last week started leaking all over the place. Like big drops of ink in the cap and the ink can be shaken out easily over the sink. Is this common? I'll return it anyway to the seller but it is a bit weird.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Sep 10, 2015

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The Chinese government has been aggressively devaluing the RMB so expect Chinese products to be super, super cheap for a while.

As to your daughter's Lamy, most likely the seal was broken from cartridge/converter to the post inside the pen. Check for cracks on the cartridge/converter, and if there are none reseat it and see if it keeps leaking.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

grack posted:

Those pens are the ones I was talking about at the end of the last page. They're Safari copies (obviously) but they write really well, come with a high quality converter and have a damned good standard #5 nib. I've probably given away 10 or 12 and everyone I've given one to loves them. I test them first but I haven't had a bad one yet.

This, however, was the listing I was talking about : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Students-Collectable-Vintage-Fountain-Pen-Medium-Nib-Black-Gold-Stainless-/351462897432?hash=item51d4d23718

Edit: And before you mention it, the Safari patent would've run out in 2005, so yes, they're legal.

What kind of cartridges/converters do these things take? I'm thinking of picking up 5 or so to keep at the office so I don't have to care when people "borrow" my pen (or grab it out of my hand and jab it into a piece of paper).

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I got a Jinhao 159 off Amazon some time back. It's a fat and heavy pen, but it writes quite well. The only gripe I have is that apparently it doesn't take standard converters (I ruined a Diplomat converter trying to use it with the pen, cracked the plastic ring on the end) and the converter the pen comes with is not very good. Otherwise I'm 100% satisfied with my purchase.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Have some clarity on them, I am not allowed to buy 10 at the same time for some reason. Only 1. Which is now coming my way.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

grack posted:

Shipping to: worldwide
Excludes: Italy

Why the loving gently caress :arghfist::smith:

Fall
Jun 6, 2011
Lost packages, most likely.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Italy has some seemingly weird prohibitions on stuff you can ship there.

http://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/il_008.htm

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

GoodBee posted:

Italy has some seemingly weird prohibitions on stuff you can ship there.

http://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/il_008.htm

I think it is about :

quote:

Haberdashery and sewn articles of any kind, including trimmings and lace; handkerchiefs; scarves; shawls, needlework including stockings and gloves; bonnets, caps, and hats of any kind.
As some (many?) of the chinese sellers sell this kind of things as well, so it is a standard thing. Maybe try and contact the sellers?

It could also be because of:

quote:

Human remains.
Chinese manufacturing is weird.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Magnus Praeda posted:

What kind of cartridges/converters do these things take? I'm thinking of picking up 5 or so to keep at the office so I don't have to care when people "borrow" my pen (or grab it out of my hand and jab it into a piece of paper).

International standard

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Mikl posted:

I got a Jinhao 159 off Amazon some time back. It's a fat and heavy pen, but it writes quite well. The only gripe I have is that apparently it doesn't take standard converters (I ruined a Diplomat converter trying to use it with the pen, cracked the plastic ring on the end) and the converter the pen comes with is not very good. Otherwise I'm 100% satisfied with my purchase.

Weird, mine's got a standard international converter. Tested it in a Kaigelu 356.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
What sizes do Chinese pens go by, Western or Japanese?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

teraflame posted:

What sizes do Chinese pens go by, Western or Japanese?

The vast majority of Chinese pens don't have sizes marked on the nib and those that do tend to report in millimeters. What you see on a sales page is someone's best estimate. Most of my Chinese pens come in somewhere between a Western fine and medium.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I bought a few Chinese pens when I was first getting back into using fountain pens and have thrown most of them away at this point but the one I still use regularly is a copper Hero 395. It's a bit heavy so I don't write with it a whole lot but it has a soft nib weirdly enough and just looks awesome with the patterned copper body.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Keetron posted:

I think it is about :

As some (many?) of the chinese sellers sell this kind of things as well, so it is a standard thing. Maybe try and contact the sellers?

It could also be because of:

Chinese manufacturing is weird.

Italy if I recall was rather pissed with the lack of cooperation from Chinese banks in money laundering investigations.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I've probably gone through several dozen Chinese pens since I've gotten into this hobby. Around half of them were just fine out of the box, another quarter were great after a little bit of tuning, and the last quarter were just absolute garbage. That being said, that's a better success rate than I've had with some "real" manufacturers at this point.

If you nerds are looking for a few less common pens, my personal favorites thus far have been:

-Hero 565: This is a clone of another Chinese pen that was basically a P51 knockoff with PFM dimensions. It's a bigger, fatter Hero 616. The nibs on all of mine have ranged from western fine to gushing broad. Still, this is my absolute favorite notetaking pen ever; It's incredibly comfortable and it takes a long drat time to dry out uncapped.

-Wing Sung 9902: This is a better, metal-bodied version of the Wing Sung 233. It doesn't seem to have the useless inner cap that most Wing Sungs do and It comes with a fine triumph-inspired conical nib that looks pretty good. Unlike my 233s, the nib is actually nice to use without a ton of tuning.

-Hero 1000: This is basically a heavier, lacquer-over-bronze Hero 100. In comparison to my Hero 100, I believe that this is a more comfortable pen and its 12K EF nib is smoother and firmer than the 14k one on the 100. These used to be a bit cheaper, and isellpens appears to have them for the same cost as my favorite Chinese dealer. If you want an upscale feeling P51 clone, this is probably as good as you'll find.

Also: the Hero safari knockoff has the worst nibs ever made, buy like 5 Jinhao 599s instead. The new hooded variant is pretty drat good.

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

Speaking of Chinese pens, I'm looking for a way to buy cheap nibs to fit into my Jinhao x750 for nib grinding practice. Any recommendations on the cheapest way to get several #6 sized nibs that fit the x750? Or a cheap bunch of nibs that fit the Metro and Plumix? (Also open to getting several cheap rear end pens that have #6 nibs if the price is right.)

Also regarding the recent SF Penshow: If you didn't get enough time on the ink testing stations there, the SF Pen Posse still has them, and intend to keep them around for the next few weeks. Their next gathering is this Sunday at 1pm in Peter's Cafe in Millbrae, right next to the BART/Caltrain station. I went there for the first time last Sunday, and they seem to be a friendly helpful bunch.

Squats fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Sep 11, 2015

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The cheapest way to get a bunch of #6 nibs for an X750 is buy a bunch of X450s. They're a buck shipped right now off of eBay. You can also buy the nibs themselves for about $2 shipped off of eBay.

Economics is weird.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Giant Boy Detective posted:

Speaking of Chinese pens, I'm looking for a way to buy cheap nibs to fit into my Jinhao x750 for nib grinding practice. Any recommendations on the cheapest way to get several #6 sized nibs that fit the x750? Or a cheap bunch of nibs that fit the Metro and Plumix? (Also open to getting several cheap rear end pens that have #6 nibs if the price is right.)

Also regarding the recent SF Penshow: If you didn't get enough time on the ink testing stations there, the SF Pen Posse still has them, and intend to keep them around for the next few weeks. Their next gathering is this Sunday at 1pm in Peter's Cafe in Millbrae, right next to the BART/Caltrain station. I went there for the first time last Sunday, and they seem to be a friendly helpful bunch.

I greatly resent the fact that Noodler's pens will take any #6 nib, but Noodler's #6 nibs never fit right in anything other than a Noodler's pen. A bag of 10 untipped Noodler's nibs is like $10 from Anderson Pens and awesome for practice grinding.

So what I'm saying is buy an Ahab or a Konrad and do that.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is the 599A always the good plastic one and not the bad metal one? My girlfriend inadvertently bought a bunch of J. Herbin standard international cartridges at a stationary store but all our pens are Pilot or Platinum.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

RichterIX posted:

Is the 599A always the good plastic one and not the bad metal one? My girlfriend inadvertently bought a bunch of J. Herbin standard international cartridges at a stationary store but all our pens are Pilot or Platinum.

The plastic ones with either standard #5 or hooded nibs are the good ones. The metal ones with Lamy-style nibs are awful and should be avoided.

grack fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 11, 2015

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

There are a bunch of Chinese sellers that sell lots of #6 jinhao nibs for like 3 bucks.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5PCS-JINHAO-159-Fountain-Pens-Nib-Medium-New-Free-shipping-/141768666644?hash=item2102122e14
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JINHAO-X450-fountain-pen-5PCS-Medium-Nib-other-pen-can-be-changed-Free-shipping-/221450753923?hash=item338f7e5783

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

While doing all this shopping for pens on the internet and more specifically, ebay, I have found it can be useful to check the different worldwide sites they have.

Offerings differ between:
ebay.co.uk
ebay.ie (Ireland)
ebay.nl (Netherlands)
ebay.com
ebay.ca

Also some dipshit keeps bidding over my 50cts (incl P&P) for an X450 and they tend to end up around 1,50~2,00.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Is there a verdict on the TWSBI Eco yet with regard to failure rate?

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

grack posted:

The cheapest way to get a bunch of #6 nibs for an X750 is buy a bunch of X450s. They're a buck shipped right now off of eBay. You can also buy the nibs themselves for about $2 shipped off of eBay.

Economics is weird.

The only sub-$3 x450s I were able to find were ongoing auctions with 3 to 4 days left on them and 4 to 6 bids already. But I'm not going to complain about $2 nibs and $3 pens. Still a great deal.

Having never used ebay before, especially not to buy stuff from outside the U.S., are there any bonus fees I have to deal with or forms I gotta fill out? The grammar makes most of the sellers' notes a tad difficult to decipher.

NeurosisHead posted:

I greatly resent the fact that Noodler's pens will take any #6 nib, but Noodler's #6 nibs never fit right in anything other than a Noodler's pen. A bag of 10 untipped Noodler's nibs is like $10 from Anderson Pens and awesome for practice grinding.

So what I'm saying is buy an Ahab or a Konrad and do that.

The Ahab and Konrad are the pens that purportedly smell awful right? And does being untipped make the nibs different to grid than the round-tipped kind?

Still that's a pretty fantastic idea. Don't own a demonstrator yet either. Do the clear ones have any cracking issues like I hear the TWSBI demonstrators and the clear Nemosine Singularity do? (Though, the black versions with the ink window are nice looking as well.)

Those links are extremely helpful. It's good that they included the measurements as well. Not owning a x450, I didn't realize their nibs were 30mm longer than the nibs for the 159 and x750. The nibs in my x750 and 159 are already pushed as far in as they'll go, so I imagine the x450 nibs would extend 3cm farther out and possibly hit the cap interior?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

The only sub-$3 x450s I were able to find were ongoing auctions with 3 to 4 days left on them and 4 to 6 bids already. But I'm not going to complain about $2 nibs and $3 pens. Still a great deal.

Having never used ebay before, especially not to buy stuff from outside the U.S., are there any bonus fees I have to deal with or forms I gotta fill out? The grammar makes most of the sellers' notes a tad difficult to decipher.

The Ahab and Konrad are the pens that purportedly smell awful right? And does being untipped make the nibs different to grid than the round-tipped kind?

Still that's a pretty fantastic idea. Don't own a demonstrator yet either. Do the clear ones have any cracking issues like I hear the TWSBI demonstrators and the clear Nemosine Singularity do? (Though, the black versions with the ink window are nice looking as well.)

Those links are extremely helpful. It's good that they included the measurements as well. Not owning a x450, I didn't realize their nibs were 30mm longer than the nibs for the 159 and x750. The nibs in my x750 and 159 are already pushed as far in as they'll go, so I imagine the x450 nibs would extend 3cm farther out and possibly hit the cap interior?

All of the vegetal resin pens smell kind of gross; you'll get a lot of Indian pens made of the same stuff (a lot of Nathan's design is inspired by/lifted from Indian pens). But yes, they do have a distinctive stink although the smell has grown on me over time.

What I like about the untipped nibs is that I can cut them down and make big huge wide italics if I want. Rather than being limited to only working with the iridium tip I have a lot more flexibility that way. On the other side of that, they'll always be sharper since they're just straight up steel with no tipping material; they're more sensitive to pen angle and writing speed because of it.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

You only smell noodler's pens if you're literally sticking them up to your nose and taking a whiff, you aren't going to smell them during normal use.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

NeurosisHead posted:

All of the vegetal resin pens smell kind of gross; you'll get a lot of Indian pens made of the same stuff (a lot of Nathan's design is inspired by/lifted from Indian pens). But yes, they do have a distinctive stink although the smell has grown on me over time.

Yeah any of the celluloid-like resins smell kinda funky. It can be pretty strong if you sniff the pen but unless your face is super close to your page it's not really an issue while using it normally.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

pienipple posted:

Yeah any of the celluloid-like resins smell kinda funky. It can be pretty strong if you sniff the pen but unless your face is super close to your page it's not really an issue while using it normally.

That's absolutely true. The first time you smell it it's distinctive and alien enough to seem like A Big Deal, but it's not in regular use. A lot of Noodler's ink is way stinkier to write with than the pens. The bulletproof varieties in particular have a sort of detergent smell to them that you'll always smell when you're using them.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

mirthdefect posted:

Is there a verdict on the TWSBI Eco yet with regard to failure rate?

Dunno about failure *rate*, but it's confirmed that they break in all the ways we already know TWSBIs break.

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

That's somewhat reassuring, as I hadn't noticed any sort of smell using the (semi)water-resistant Noodler's inks I own. (Navy, Green Marine, Galileo, and Black Eel.)

Science demanded that I sniff these inks. So sniff these inks I did.

You're right. If you bring your face really close to bottled ink, they all have a fairly strong smell that I did not notice during normal usage. And they weren't even that unpleasant for the most part, just strong.

So, if the Noodler's pen's stink radius is less than that of many of their inks, maybe I will get that demo Konrad (or maybe the black). But sadly Anderson is currently out of stock of those two colors (as well as most of the other Konrad colors), and I'd rather not have to pay shipping from two different stores. :argh:

I'll wait until those get back in stock.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Remora posted:

Dunno about failure *rate*, but it's confirmed that they break in all the ways we already know TWSBIs break.

A quick glance at the fountain pen Facebook groups confirms the usual: pens snapping at the feed, leakage into the section and so on.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Kessel posted:

A quick glance at the fountain pen Facebook groups confirms the usual: pens snapping at the feed, leakage into the section and so on.

One would think that TWSBI could have figured out a fix by now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Why? People are pretty clearly happy to pay money for pens that break, so why fix it?