Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Angry Grimace posted:

It just makes me sad that Dwarves have never been a thing in MTG for really dumb reasons.

(The reason that's been given for this is that Dwarves have to be red and Goblins are already red)

That's not it. It's that dwarves live in the mountains, so you would want to put them in red, but the attitude typically associated with them is very, very much in White's chunk of the color pie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Nothing about being in a punk band is in whites color pie dude

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
It'd be easier to do dwarves now that WotC puts tribe into a color pair when they push it for tribal purposes. Boros dwarves would be sweet.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

whydirt posted:

It'd be easier to do dwarves now that WotC puts tribe into a color pair when they push it for tribal purposes. Boros dwarves would be sweet.

I'd be game for Dwarves coming back. They brought back Orcs, they can do Dwarves!

GlennFinito
Oct 15, 2013
Dwarves could work well in red as "artifacts matter" cards

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Or in an hate way:

GlennFinito
Oct 15, 2013
I mean there's dwarven lords in homelands and fallen empires but they were pretty bad.

E. I forgot dwaven bloodboiler from judgement and dwarven recruiter from odyssey

GlennFinito fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Sep 10, 2015

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

So, looks like I might hit up two prereleases, if there's time. gently caress. Yeah.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Nice one bro! We're all rooting for you. Take em both down then report back!

e:hope you get some siiick pulls

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Limited Resources has a cycle of spoilers.
http://lrcast.com/five-exclusive-battle-for-zendikar-preview-cards/
Catacomb Sifter is loving ridiculous. I feel like there should be some way to break Herald too, it makes Chromatic Sphere-type cards cycle for free.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

A Gaea's Skyfolk with "Kicker W, Kicker B, and Kicker R. Put a +1/+1 counter on this for each time it was kicked." That's a fun Limited card.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah the fact that it goes all the way up to Skyreach Manta is pretty crazy.

GlennFinito
Oct 15, 2013
Herald of Kozilek is really strong, a 2/4 for 3 which gives discount on all colorless spells is just more hangarback walker synergy.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

GlennFinito posted:

Herald of Kozilek is really strong, a 2/4 for 3 which gives discount on all colorless spells is just more hangarback walker synergy.

More fuel for the temur ramp deck.

GlennFinito
Oct 15, 2013
Herald of Kozilek as an artifact ramp spells.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

GlennFinito posted:

Herald of Kozilek as an artifact ramp spells.

Keep in mind that Etherium Sculptor already exists for this role, so he's not about to break anything that can't already be broken.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

GoutPatrol posted:

Or in an hate way:

Wow, didn't know Jock illustrated Magic cards, that's pretty rad.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Catacomb Sifter is loving ridiculous. I feel like there should be some way to break Herald too, it makes Chromatic Sphere-type cards cycle for free.

JFC these are all nuts in Limited, and some possibly in constructed. Giving all your guys double strike is a good way to make sure your opponent never gets to Eldrazi.

Yeah, Catacomb sifter in particular looks constructed playable.

Herald of Kozilek, very cool, though I'm not sure how good it is. 2/4s for 3 with abilities can be pretty powerful.

This set has a really really strange subtheme where it seems like they want you to play 3+ colors all the time?
Allys are in at least Naya colors, the "colorless" theme actually spans all colors except possibly white, and Converge asks you play all 5 colors if possible.

EDIT: WTF, Just noticed that both the BW and UG multicolored cards are Allys. So I guess Allys are the Slivers of this set.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

I wish Drana's Emissary was a warrior, but yay BW Vampire! I like it for limited, as tricky as it is to draft. It's probably solid but not enough for constructed unless allies or vampire tribal is really good. Or clerics.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

They haven't revealed a single common Ally yet, just a bunch of ridiculous uncommons and rares in all colors. Looking forward to see what common Allies show up and what kind of mana fixing for your inevitable splash.

Skyrider also a cool callback to Nimbus Swimmer as a 0/0 for UGX.

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Sep 10, 2015

GlennFinito
Oct 15, 2013

Chamale posted:

Keep in mind that Etherium Sculptor already exists for this role, so he's not about to break anything that can't already be broken.

I was thinking standard, and I really like the idea of casting Pyromancer's goggles for 4

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Lets Pickle posted:

They haven't revealed a single common Ally yet, just a bunch of ridiculous uncommons and rares in all colors. Looking forward to see what common Allies show up and what kind of mana fixing for your inevitable splash.

Skyrider also a cool callback to Nimbus Swimmer as a 0/0 for UGX.

It seems like a combination callback to Nimbus Swimmer (UGX 0/0), Skyreach Manta, and Gaea's Skyfolk (in its most basic form)

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Felidar Sovereign has been reprinted as rare.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

Wow, didn't know Jock illustrated Magic cards, that's pretty rad.

He was another comic book recruit in the sue ann harkey era. His magic work is uniformly outstanding.

I had never heard of him elsewhere tbqh

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

kingcobweb posted:

He was another comic book recruit in the sue ann harkey era. His magic work is uniformly outstanding.

I had never heard of him elsewhere tbqh

I know him from his recent Batman stuff.

Here are some new and old cards:

No new art for the Felidar?

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Lobsterpillar posted:

It seems like a combination callback to Nimbus Swimmer (UGX 0/0), Skyreach Manta, and Gaea's Skyfolk (in its most basic form)

and Engineered Explosives

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

I like how this guy is actually every creature type that has been pushed for the last 12 months.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I mean, isn't a 2/2 flyer for 2 in limited always pretty good? Even if you can't splash.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

GoutPatrol posted:

I mean, isn't a 2/2 flyer for 2 in limited always pretty good? Even if you can't splash.

Yeah, the card is excellent in limited

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

That converge card is so weird

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Roil Spout is weirdly similar to Aethersnipe in terms of stats/cost (although it's griptide instead of Disperse).
I've been reading this card as Roil Sprout since it was revealed. Finally saw it is Spout. Makes more sense now!

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

GoutPatrol posted:

If you can play it on turn two every time, sure. But it's not going to be a high first-pick because gold cards are so constraining, especially gold two-drops.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

CountFosco posted:

If you can play it on turn two every time, sure. But it's not going to be a high first-pick because gold cards are so constraining, especially gold two-drops.

Sure, he's just saying the card is good as a flying bear without any additional text. The draft gold cards have been good, it is just a reward for being in a color pair, if your not fighting someone for colors you probably get a little bonus in your draft later on.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

GlennFinito posted:

I was thinking standard, and I really like the idea of casting Pyromancer's goggles for 4

This was my immediate thinking. It lets you curve straight into Goggles. My biggest worry is that they haven't really spoiled any red instants/sorcs I'm super hyped about copying. (Rolling Thunder is meh outside limited, and Radiant Flames is a worse version of Anger of the Gods.)

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
The whole Ally mechanic does nothing for me.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Also Kozilek is still around?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

The whole Ally mechanic does nothing for me.

If you don't like Slivers you aren't going to like allies.

Also that legendary ally makes me realize they're never printing Goblin Recruiter again because lmao at the legendary ally ETB.

E: it's for any ally entering the battlefield at least, I guess while that's out you're drawing ally gas forever if you want to.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 10, 2015

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Has there ever been another card with X in its mana cost in which the value of X isn't outright explained or relevant? I get that it's to allow W, B, and R to be spent for Converge but I guess technically you could also use it as a mana dump for colorless mana in a world where mana burn still exists.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Engineered Explosives. I stopped playing for a while after 8th Edition came out so I never got to see that much.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Sep 10, 2015

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
engineered explosives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Really strange they didnt just reuse Sunburst, because I think everyone would have just understood it. I mean i guess its already linked to charge counters and artifacts, but I really dont think people would have been upset fixing that to be more broad.

• Locked thread