Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Fuzz posted:

Whatever, still more fun than plopping your fat rear end behind a glowy wall and pressing the same 4-6 buttons over and over while watching stupid channeling bars.

Ugh, channeling bars are the worst poo poo in this game.

Eh I think channeling bars are only bad when they are spam abilities or stuff that only does damage at the end of the channel. I like Penetrating Blasts, Blazing Bolts, and Ravage. Especailly Ravage. Does a ton of damage, nice animation and breaks up what you're doing. What sucks is dumb poo poo like Snipe, Tracer Rocket, et. all. If I have to sit there and channel something it better be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

My sub lapsed and just in time to find out I can't even choose my 192 companion gear from the weekly because EA is EA. I can't even fix it with a cartel coin bribe.

:smith:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Dely Apple posted:

My sub lapsed and just in time to find out I can't even choose my 192 companion gear from the weekly because EA is EA. I can't even fix it with a cartel coin bribe.

:smith:

Well if you resubscribe, minor mechanics spoiler for KOTFE companion gear no longer matters. Their power level is based on affection. So it doesn't matter anyway that you didn't get the 192 gear

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

Well if you resubscribe, minor mechanics spoiler for KOTFE companion gear no longer matters. Their power level is based on affection. So it doesn't matter anyway that you didn't get the 192 gear

That new mechanic will also apply to F2P in KOTFE, you just won't get the new story.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Medullah posted:

I realized that after the fact, it's just the principle of buying the expac and then not being able to even get the rewards I got from it unless I sub too.

PRETTY RUDE

Guy Innagorillasuit
Jul 24, 2009

When are we going to see these fancy new laserbats in the game?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
You missed one:

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Dibs on the Wolverine Saber Claws.

I'll be back on by expansion time. Got a new job and I need time to adapt to family stuff/a heavier work schedule.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

As someone playing a sith inquisitor for the first time, can I say that when people spoiler tag your master betraying you it's really irritating? Like, dudes, this is a star wars game and you're playing a sith. The only thing more predictable is the color of every lightsaber that you get.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Tunicate posted:

As someone playing a sith inquisitor for the first time, can I say that when people spoiler tag your master betraying you it's really irritating? Like, dudes, this is a star wars game and you're playing a sith. The only thing more predictable is the color of every lightsaber that you get.

I do think it's a shame that the Inquisitor story doesn't let you betray them first. It fits for the war to be betrayed either because ds you're all "durr I smash stuff gud" while ls you are honorable (to a fault). Inquisitor is the perfect class to pull a Sindri on. But you never do and that's terrible. I'd have killed to not only stick Zash in Khem, but do it knowingly and with a smug rear end grin on my face as I'm all like, "Oh thanks for doing all this work for me Zash."

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
I have to admit, I'm really enjoying playing as a Light-Side Bounty Hunter. So many opportunities to tell the Sith to gently caress off, they're not my supervisors.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Well all you do in any Empire storyline is kill sith and gently caress over the empire. Probably more so than the republic, who'd have thought they'd be getting their arses kicked in the war.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

maev posted:

Well all you do in any Empire storyline is kill sith and gently caress over the empire. Probably more so than the republic, who'd have thought they'd be getting their arses kicked in the war.

Yup. I've finished three of the four classes on Imp side and god drat the war is looking one sided.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SKY COQ posted:

Yup. I've finished three of the four classes on Imp side and god drat the war is looking one sided.

I mean, we know they lose eventually, since by the time of the prequels only the republic is still around and most people don't remember what a "sith" is (in fact the word falls out of the galaxy's vocabulary entirely just 20 years or so later)

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

SKY COQ posted:

I admit I like the Imperial Makeb storyline just because of how candid Darth Marr is about how blatantly hosed the Empire is. Also that the evil Empire winds up as the scrappy underdog. :v:

thrakkorzog posted:

I have to admit, I'm really enjoying playing as a Light-Side Bounty Hunter. So many opportunities to tell the Sith to gently caress off, they're not my supervisors.
I'd be hesitant to say it's the best story, but LS Bounty Hunter has been my favorite so far. Even the Smuggler doesn't feel as much of a free agent past the midgame, and Mako's got snarky approval for almost all the LS story quest choices.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So my Trooper didn't get the Captain title after Act 1, so I put in a ticket in-character asking Republic Command for help, because Jorgan was being insubordinate and hissing at me since he was a LT now as well, and Dorne was being a pain in the rear end citing rank regulations and it was hindering Havoc Squad's mission.

The reply I got:

quote:

Greetings Fêmshep,

I am Protocol Droid U4-T4: fashion guru, special attaché to Human-Cyborg Relations, and unexpected Military consul (believe me, no one was more surprised than I!)

Thank you for contacting us regarding your missing Captain title. I was aghast - AGHAST - to discover that your accolades had gone un-accolade'd! THE SCANDAL!

I have personally seen to it that the astromech droid responsible for recording ranking has dealt with most severely, and is currently being reassigned to cleaning mug-rings off the galley tables.

I also spoke briefly with General Garza about the possibility of temporarily demoting your Companions with an eye to levelling the playing field once more, but this was swiftly dismissed as a bad idea and a lot of "Who are you" and "Who let you in here??"'s.

Still, after much toil and effort I am pleased to see that your ongoing promotion through the ranks have been acknowledged. Do let us know if we can assist you with anything else. Ta-ta for now!

Galactic Support is our specialty…

Sincerely,

Protocol Droid U4-T4 (aka David)
Star Wars ™: The Old Republic™ Customer Service

This game. :allears:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Fuzz posted:

So my Trooper didn't get the Captain title after Act 1, so I put in a ticket in-character asking Republic Command for help, because Jorgan was being insubordinate and hissing at me since he was a LT now as well, and Dorne was being a pain in the rear end citing rank regulations and it was hindering Havoc Squad's mission.

The reply I got:

The customer support in this game is, and always has been, fantastic.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

I mean, we know they lose eventually, since by the time of the prequels only the republic is still around and most people don't remember what a "sith" is (in fact the word falls out of the galaxy's vocabulary entirely just 20 years or so later)

Yeah to an extent, but there's over 3000 years between TOR and the prequels so pretty much anything could have happened several times over

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

Love me some conquest. Did those 50 ilum HM flashpoints for conquest points. Picked up a purple crystal decoration, an emperor statue, and a rendili fireball speeder.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

RentACop posted:

Yeah to an extent, but there's over 3000 years between TOR and the prequels so pretty much anything could have happened several times over

Well, except the Republic being destroyed.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Defiance Industries posted:

As long as a Galactic Republic is back up and running at the time of the prequels.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Cythereal posted:

As long as a Galactic Republic is back up and running at the time of the prequels.

The movies say "a thousand generations" so TOR is way too soon for the Republic to fall

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The movies say "a thousand generations" so TOR is way too soon for the Republic to fall

Presumably not counting times when the Republic had functionally if not officially fallen, like in KOTOR2 and how it looks to be in KOTFE, and other potential hiccups that would ruin a good poetic phrase.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Oh, well, the republic never really died since the ember lived on in the noble resistance who eventually retook control, it's pretty easy to handwave if need be

The movies also waver between "generations" and "years" so I always thought it was more just "a longass time"

edit: wait poo poo, I think generations was in the opening crawl which makes it more official I don't even know anymore

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 10, 2015

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Yeah as long as Coruscant or some other place could keep a couple of senators around they could say they didn't fall. It seems in general there was a big galactic dark age in between this Republic and that one however, to explain away why no one shits their pants at the word Sith or whatever. Or how no one laughed that Palpy is a very, very dedicated ren faire cosplay enthusiast.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Ainsley McTree posted:

The Sith don't really go under until about 1000 BBY after the Battle of Ruusan when Darth Bane institutes the Rule of 2 and the Sith as a big organization basically disappear, leading to an unbroken chain of masters and apprentices that culminates in Darth Sidious/Emperor Palpatine.

The Sith Empire, as we know it in SWTOR, seems like it was gone/splintered by then (around 2000 BBY) but that's still 1000 years from now, in-game.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Fuzz posted:

The reply I got:

That's awesome. After my Knight got stuck in an unrecoverable infinite cutscene at the start of Rishi, I put in a ticket and got a reply about how he had gone through a lot of trauma, so he had been moved to the Fleet cantina to recover.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The Republic never truly dies until Palpatine literally coopts it into an Empire in the prequels.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Fuzz posted:

The Republic never truly dies until Palpatine literally coopts it into an Empire in the prequels.

And then the Rebels, once part of the Republic, just form the New Republic :v: Don't forget though that the Sith never actually disappeared (as in, red-tentacle-face Sith) - they were just marooned on a planet for god knows how many years. I never finished reading that series of books so I don't know how that turned out though.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

And then the Rebels, once part of the Republic, just form the New Republic :v: Don't forget though that the Sith never actually disappeared (as in, red-tentacle-face Sith) - they were just marooned on a planet for god knows how many years. I never finished reading that series of books so I don't know how that turned out though.

The New Republic has a different structure as compared to the original Republic that exists throughout the story, even in the new Canon poo poo vs the Legacy EU. So it's literally a new galactic government. They even redoing the dating format to reflect that. (ABY/BBY)

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
0.02$ on the Sith stuff - most of the ones you kill are either in it for themselves only, idiots or both. Either way, it's weeding out the trash and only those with long-term benefit for the Empire remain :haw:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

It actually makes me want to switch my focus back to my JK. The Republic is clearly the winning side and the story actually makes a tangible impact on the Galaxy.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

GuyUpNorth posted:

0.02$ on the Sith stuff - most of the ones you kill are either in it for themselves only, idiots or both. Either way, it's weeding out the trash and only those with long-term benefit for the Empire remain :haw:

Yeah its for the good the Empire, but I dunno, it's kind of why I find the Empire the more compelling faction. The cancer in the Empire was so massive that Marr in no uncertain terms shows just how hosed they are by Makeb. And even then the Empire was an underdog, using the power of surprise, super badass fleets, and I assume battle mediation from the Emperor to utterly wreck the Republic's poo poo. But once the Republic started to reestablish supply lines, rally their forces and stuff, defeat for the Empire was all but assumed. At the end of the day the Republic can just bury the Sith in bodies. The one thing that they don't have is more Jedi as I think Jedi Masters have a life expectancy of a gnat.

Also the story of the fact that yes, the Jedi and Republic did try to wipe out the Sith and they are trying to reclaim their ancient homeworld adds a great dimension to the war. And it helps to justify why normal people care about the Empire when so many Sith are gigantic douchebags.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Eimi posted:

Also the story of the fact that yes, the Jedi and Republic did try to wipe out the Sith and they are trying to reclaim their ancient homeworld adds a great dimension to the war. And it helps to justify why normal people care about the Empire when so many Sith are gigantic douchebags.

There's also little moments like the Foundry, and Republic superweapons like the Shadow Arsenal, Hammer Station, the Planet Prison, the Shock Drum, and the Death Mark. The Republic has an entire WMD R&D division that the Jedi Knight story deals with, and I think it's very understandable that the normal people of the Empire support and fight for that Empire when the Republic is throwing around more planet killers than the Empire during the story.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Cythereal posted:

There's also little moments like the Foundry, and Republic superweapons like the Shadow Arsenal, Hammer Station, the Planet Prison, the Shock Drum, and the Death Mark. The Republic has an entire WMD R&D division that the Jedi Knight story deals with, and I think it's very understandable that the normal people of the Empire support and fight for that Empire when the Republic is throwing around more planet killers than the Empire during the story.

This kind of ignores the beginning of the conflict though. The Sith Empire is a 1,000 year old dictatorship built on an act of genocide by its ruler. It manipulated the Mandelorians into attacking the republic, turned Revan and kicked off the events of KOTOR and KOTOR 2, which ultimately devastated several worlds, nearly wiped out the Jedi and plunged the Republic into near-economic collapse.

300 years later, it launches a full-on invasion and conquers half the galaxy, only agreeing to a Cold War-style cease fire after (again) orchestrating the fall of the Jedi on Coruscant.

The Republic may have been building WMDs, but given the threat the Empire presents it almost seems reasonable. It's also worth noting that the only one of these WMDs that gets fired is used by a Sith. Against the Jedi.

Again.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

SKY COQ posted:

This kind of ignores the beginning of the conflict though. The Sith Empire is a 1,000 year old dictatorship built on an act of genocide by its ruler. It manipulated the Mandelorians into attacking the republic, turned Revan and kicked off the events of KOTOR and KOTOR 2, which ultimately devastated several worlds, nearly wiped out the Jedi and plunged the Republic into near-economic collapse.

300 years later, it launches a full-on invasion and conquers half the galaxy, only agreeing to a Cold War-style cease fire after (again) orchestrating the fall of the Jedi on Coruscant.

The Republic may have been building WMDs, but given the threat the Empire presents it almost seems reasonable. It's also worth noting that the only one of these WMDs that gets fired is used by a Sith. Against the Jedi.

Again.

I mean the 'real' origin of the conflict is that Dark Jedi save the rest of the useless fucks on Tython from the Rakata. As thanks the normal Jedi exile them. This pisses them off. They eventually find Korriban and the Sith make their own civilization, Republic finds them, war was beginning and then the Republic in their moment of victory decides to kill all Sith forever. Vitiate somehow becomes immortal and saves them in the huge xanatos gambit mentioned above. It's important to remember though that after that, Vitiate has almost no interaction with the Empire, content to just set the wheels rolling.

I think it was ultimately Revan that forced the Emperor to issue the cease fire, though I'm not 100% on that. It could've been the Star Cabal or more of Vitiates long term plot nonsense.

Really it's more taking something that's originally written as a bunch of puppy eaters and idiots and trying to inject some depth or at least sanity to the thing. I prefer a more sane version of the Sith but that's...not exactly Star Warsy enough? :shrug:

Eimi fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Sep 11, 2015

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

The other thing about the Republic's WMD project as explained in the Knight story is that it was largely overseen by a Sith Lord working undercover on Coruscant.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
So in KOTOR 2 the Republic is on its knees, the Jedi are all but wiped out, and 300 years later everything seems back to normal? Is this a product of 300 years is a long time, or that SWTOR doesn't really give a poo poo what happened in kotor 2?

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
The desolation of KOTOR2 doesn't really follow from KOTOR1 either, it's probably best not to think too hard about Star Wars continuity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

maev posted:

So in KOTOR 2 the Republic is on its knees, the Jedi are all but wiped out, and 300 years later everything seems back to normal? Is this a product of 300 years is a long time, or that SWTOR doesn't really give a poo poo what happened in kotor 2?

BW went out of their way to tear down KotOR2, probably out of jealousy.

• Locked thread