Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Koesj posted:

Yeah the High Five for example.

Also these, and here's an almost perfectly symmetrical one.

I honestly didn't think these things existed in the UK until I clicked that link and realised that I'd been using one of them for the best part of seven years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

xzzy posted:

Why would they write code and create assets to render tunnels if the base game has no way to ever actually see those tunnels?

If they break your first person mod, well, that's on the mod for loving things up.

I'm pretty sure this game runs on the same engine as CiM2, and that game handled tunnels remarkably well. I see no reason why metros and road tunnels were dumbed down for this game.

Lycaeon
Feb 20, 2013

A closed door is a closed mind.
I've been frustrated by this game's transportation AI to no end. I'm using a mod that gives buildings more realistic populations (Upwards of 200 instead of just 30 people in an office skyscraper) as well as stopping vehicle despawning and since all of them have to drive to work (Before somehow putting their cars in their pockets and walking inside, because no parking) my streets are just a 24/7 unmoving mass of cars. Buildings are burning down and bodies and garbage are piling up as my poor emergency services can't move two blocks from their home stations before getting stuck like the rest of the unfortunate population in the neverending web of cars. The driver AI seems intent on having every car drive in the same lane on most of my four to six lane roads (A lot of which are one-way) and so a line of cars can just get stuck in a loop while there's plenty of space for anyone with half a brain to actually get to where they are going in their own lifetimes.

What's worse is only 20% of my population on average seems to want to use the subway system I spent hours meticulously planning and linking between the residential and commercial districts. There's also multiple bus lines, but the poor bastards have even less luck in navigating the traffic nightmare.

I eventually caved and remapped my city using roundabouts (bleh, I wanted a lovely American city with intersections, but the AI can't seem to get their heads around them) and am looking at mods that can force these idiots to actually realize they're not driving on one lane roads.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Lycaeon posted:

I've been frustrated by this game's transportation AI to no end. I'm using a mod that gives buildings more realistic populations (Upwards of 200 instead of just 30 people in an office skyscraper) as well as stopping vehicle despawning and since all of them have to drive to work (Before somehow putting their cars in their pockets and walking inside, because no parking) my streets are just a 24/7 unmoving mass of cars. Buildings are burning down and bodies and garbage are piling up as my poor emergency services can't move two blocks from their home stations before getting stuck like the rest of the unfortunate population in the neverending web of cars. The driver AI seems intent on having every car drive in the same lane on most of my four to six lane roads (A lot of which are one-way) and so a line of cars can just get stuck in a loop while there's plenty of space for anyone with half a brain to actually get to where they are going in their own lifetimes.

What's worse is only 20% of my population on average seems to want to use the subway system I spent hours meticulously planning and linking between the residential and commercial districts. There's also multiple bus lines, but the poor bastards have even less luck in navigating the traffic nightmare.

I eventually caved and remapped my city using roundabouts (bleh, I wanted a lovely American city with intersections, but the AI can't seem to get their heads around them) and am looking at mods that can force these idiots to actually realize they're not driving on one lane roads.

That's pretty loving weird that the game's traffic simulation stopped working properly when you increased the number of people living in buildings by a factor of nearly 10 with mods.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Lycaeon posted:

You can't use realistic numbers and expect realistic results because the game is balanced around unrealistic numbers. If we could effect the traffic rate AI this would work, but we can't. If you give a factory a realistic number of employees it produces a poo poo ton of goods that clogs up your streets, if you give residential realistic numbers your streets and transit systems can't keep up. The whole game was balanced to have traffic problems/challenge with the default numbers, if you raise them it fucks up the entire simulation.

Best you can do is just imagine each person represents a few people, inflate the numbers in your head. You can't give building realistic stats, but you can change the stats to be more proportionately realistic. Make it so low density residential never has more than 1-3 people living in each house but then have high density have 30-50. The numbers are all too low, but they make sense in relation to the typical models of the building. (Which is another huge problem, building level doesn't remotely correspond with size). So just change the proportions of the stats without really changing the total numbers. The game will seem more "realistic" but will still function correctly.

Or, even better, go way lower. Have each house only have 1 person, have a large apartment have 20 people. Bring the stats actually lower than vanilla to create more realistic amounts of traffic. The game purposefully generates way more traffic than a city of its size should have to make the game interesting/challenging. So just reduce all stats by half and in your head see your 200k person city as a 400k person city.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

I'm pretty sure this game runs on the same engine as CiM2, and that game handled tunnels remarkably well. I see no reason why metros and road tunnels were dumbed down for this game.

dumbed down != optimized

A big part of their market scope was less powerful machines therefore eking out tris at every opportunity really adds up.

Fishbus fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 9, 2015

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Koesj posted:

Yeah the High Five for example.

Also these, and here's an almost perfectly symmetrical one.

e: is there a way to update my freaking asset on the workshop like how people's mods are updated? I kinda missed a spot :gonk:

Ah, so the frontage roads aren't actually accessible from the interchange itself on the same side, only from the other three, and they extend well beyond it and have same-side connections well down the line.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Never mind cars, my problem is goddamn cargo trains. Even after I disconnected my external rail lines from my internal network, my lines are choked with loving green cargo trains taking lazy greedy routes and causing gridlock. Next time I start a new city I'm going to keep the cargo network completely separate from passenger rail.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Lycaeon posted:

Your cims are piling up in a single lane because that is the only lane that allows them to get to where they are going. You have a chokepoint somewhere in your road network where all your cims are trying to make a turn, but there's only one lane that allows a turn in that direction, thus funneling them all into that lane. Find out where your cims are coming from and where they are going (Traffic Report mod helps immensely with this) and build new routes so they don't all have to use a single road. Try downloading Traffic++ which allows you to customize intersections to add more turning lanes.

The AI in this game will always choose the quickest path to their destination, and they calculate their path to their destination once. Know this, and managing traffic gets a lot simpler.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
It seems like a pretty common complaint that traffic pile up in one lane, but isn't it obvious that if everyone needs to turn left, for example, that everyone would try and use the left lane even if other lanes are free?

The traffic simulation isn't perfect, but it's still pretty amazing. It forces you to think about where your traffic is going and the reasons for the backup rather than just throwing higher density roads at a problem until it's solved.

Subyng posted:

Traffic++

Fantastic mod too.

thepostaldude
Jan 18, 2009

I regret nothing.

Is this a recent screenshot? I would have thought they have fixed the purple pollution by now.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Breetai posted:

Ah, so the frontage roads aren't actually accessible from the interchange itself on the same side, only from the other three, and they extend well beyond it and have same-side connections well down the line.

It is indeed a three-level diamond interchange beneath a stack. Also, frontage roads gently caress up cities irl (strip malls everywhere) but they work pretty well in C:S. See: routing traffic through industrial zones with one-ways.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

thepostaldude posted:

Is this a recent screenshot? I would have thought they have fixed the purple pollution by now.

One of the most popular mods in the Workshop fixes it. I doubt CO is going to bother with it now.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Eric the Mauve posted:

One of the most popular mods in the Workshop fixes it. I doubt CO is going to bother with it now.

Wait, thats a bug? Not a weird artistic choice?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Streaming this game can be pretty intense!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Inglonias posted:

Wait, thats a bug? Not a weird artistic choice?

It was a weird artistic choice they claimed to fix before launch when everyone on the internet started bitching about it, but only some of the maps actually got the fix. Then they just forgot about it.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
I decided to do a bit of a clearout of mods today, ended up deleting 80. Which was great until I loaded the game and my save appeared to be totally corrupted (all buildings and roads had vanished). I then had to resub everything I had unsubscribed from on the workshop. Which I managed to do by finding the workshop downloads folder and realising that the empty folders (looking at the time they were modified) of the mods remained with their ID as the folder name. So I then had to copy and paste each ID into the steam workshop URL and resubscribe. It fixed the save and then from there I worked out what the problem file was (turned out to be one of the train vehicle replacements). I did not enjoy this.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Make a collection of all your subscribed mods. Then you can resub to all of them. with a singe click.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Metrication posted:

I decided to do a bit of a clearout of mods today, ended up deleting 80. Which was great until I loaded the game and my save appeared to be totally corrupted (all buildings and roads had vanished). I then had to resub everything I had unsubscribed from on the workshop. Which I managed to do by finding the workshop downloads folder and realising that the empty folders (looking at the time they were modified) of the mods remained with their ID as the folder name. So I then had to copy and paste each ID into the steam workshop URL and resubscribe. It fixed the save and then from there I worked out what the problem file was (turned out to be one of the train vehicle replacements). I did not enjoy this.

I've been working on themed collections for the workshop for a while and occasionally it seems an author will randomly delete a mod, which basically means it just vanishes off workshop and your game as well, with no clues what it was remaining

it's going to be loving awesome when some shithead drama queen nukes some major infratructure mod or resource dependencies to other mods (like the fences and objects used by certain building mods) and half the cities with mods in the game just get completely hosed as a result

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Subyng posted:

Make a collection of all your subscribed mods. Then you can resub to all of them. with a singe click.

Good idea.

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

it's going to be loving awesome when some shithead drama queen nukes some major infratructure mod or resource dependencies to other mods (like the fences and objects used by certain building mods) and half the cities with mods in the game just get completely hosed as a result

This happened a couple of times with the SC4 community, one mod team moved everything they had created off of Simtropolis and made their own site. What you're describing is much more lethal though.

Metrication fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 10, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Metrication posted:

Good idea.

This happened a couple of times with the SC4 community, one mod team moved everything they had created off of Simtropolis and made their own site. What you're describing is much more lethal though.

The reason for that one was amazing. The asset creator wanted to "legally" protect his work and thought the only way to do that (despite actual lawyers on the site telling him its useless) is have a loving EULA for his content which meant he had to have an installer for his content so you click "I agree" to the terms of his free simcity graphics. Simtropolis didn't allow exe files and for good reason. Simtropolis tried to work with him and a few others by including some sort of text in the download options or have to click "agree" on some useless bullshit when you start using the exchange but it wasn't good enough, the guy wanted fancy installers for his 200k lamp post file. In many cases the installer and it's splash screen graphics were 100x bigger than the asset its self. Anyways they threw a poo poo fit about their work potentially being stolen and copyright and intellectual property and went off and started their own site while deleting everything from simtropolis which broke a massive chain of dependence which already mostly existed not for technical reasons but for credit/ego reasons.

We haven't had any major meltdowns on the workshop but if we do the results are going to be amazingly stupid. Steam Workshop is a really bad system.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Baronjutter posted:

We haven't had any major meltdowns on the workshop but if we do the results are going to be amazingly stupid. Steam Workshop is a really bad system.

This is the same company that brought us Greenlight. Their hearts are really in the right places but sometimes they haven't thought all their ideas through completely.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

So I started a new city, Breighton. I have a bustlin population of just over 8k with very few traffic problems except for the industrial section which I plan on making a connection to the highway for soon. You can also see the abortion of an interchange that I made that can probably be fixed with tunnels when I get around to it eventually. Here's a little suburb I started off on the other side of the highway that I will expand shortly and make main roads, feeders, and local routes, etc. The roundabout will have to change eventually as well. For now have a screen shot looking down Main Street.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Fabulousity posted:

This is the same company that brought us Greenlight. Their hearts are really in the right places but sometimes they haven't thought all their ideas through completely.

I wish more companies were willing to and the market more forgiving about experimenting and screwing up publicly in order to collect actual data. Sitting in design meetings at work there's such a need to pull the needle out of the haystack first try that you lock up and go with what's already known at the expense of potential.

Edit: I thought this was the Steam thread but whatever.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Has anyone played Mini Metro on Steam? For $6 it seems like it might be appealing, especially with the hours I've put in to Cities: Skylines.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/287980/?snr=1_239_1200__1251

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

The reason for that one was amazing. The asset creator wanted to "legally" protect his work and thought the only way to do that (despite actual lawyers on the site telling him its useless) is have a loving EULA for his content which meant he had to have an installer for his content so you click "I agree" to the terms of his free simcity graphics. Simtropolis didn't allow exe files and for good reason. Simtropolis tried to work with him and a few others by including some sort of text in the download options or have to click "agree" on some useless bullshit when you start using the exchange but it wasn't good enough, the guy wanted fancy installers for his 200k lamp post file. In many cases the installer and it's splash screen graphics were 100x bigger than the asset its self. Anyways they threw a poo poo fit about their work potentially being stolen and copyright and intellectual property and went off and started their own site while deleting everything from simtropolis which broke a massive chain of dependence which already mostly existed not for technical reasons but for credit/ego reasons.

I didn't know it was about EULAs. I thought it was about them getting sick of people complaining about all of the dependencies they kept using and making for their files. The installers were really horrible to use, it's one of the thing that killed the game for me (and prevented me from starting it back up). Workshop is 100x nicer to use in terms of modding, even if it has its own issues.

There's a new dev blog about After Dark:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/cities-skylines-after-dark-dev-diary-4-commercial-specializations.881088/

quote:

Creating public transportation lines to serve leisure areas is a good choice, and you can even have the lines be inactive during the day to make sure you get the most bang for your buck.

This would suggest to me we are getting the ability to add night busses.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Lycaeon posted:

I've been frustrated by this game's transportation AI to no end. I'm using a mod that gives buildings more realistic populations[...]

Baronjutter posted:

You can't use realistic numbers and expect realistic results because the game is balanced around unrealistic numbers. If we could effect the traffic rate AI this would work, but we can't. If you give a factory a realistic number of employees it produces a poo poo ton of goods that clogs up your streets, if you give residential realistic numbers your streets and transit systems can't keep up. The whole game was balanced to have traffic problems/challenge with the default numbers, if you raise them it fucks up the entire simulation.
Rather than just imagining your own stuff, why not use the fudged population mod? Turns out, if anybody had played the Bad SimCity long enough and had bothered to count, the number of agents in-game was actually much lower than the population listed. The mod here basically just replicates that fudging of numbers and puts it alongside the "true" population, so that you have a number that at least looks like it matches what the population of your city ought to be.

Most interesting thing about it is that it's not a linear scale.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm pretty sure at least if an asset dependency isn't downloaded but you get a building that needs it, it just doesn't appear on the building - the game doesn't crash, it's just that a building might look a bit funny because a part is missing. Right? Or have I been lucky?

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Can't wait to add night-time strip mall entertainment to my 'burbs:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Those wooden supports are significantly taller than most trees. They only make the problem of the beaches being way too steep even worse.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Cities: Skylines: Vice City

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Poil posted:

Those wooden supports are significantly taller than most trees. They only make the problem of the beaches being way too steep even worse.
I had a thought about how it'd look better if the piers descended to the waterline, and then I remembered how water physics worked in this game and figured maybe they are there for a reason.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Hadlock posted:

Has anyone played Mini Metro on Steam? For $6 it seems like it might be appealing, especially with the hours I've put in to Cities: Skylines.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/287980/?snr=1_239_1200__1251

I've been playing it since the first public alpha (and paid for it when they first started charging for it). It's pretty good and definitely falls in the "simple to learn, difficult to master" category. Also got to talk to the devs at PAX East this year (they were in the indie megabooth).

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

zedprime posted:

I had a thought about how it'd look better if the piers descended to the waterline, and then I remembered how water physics worked in this game and figured maybe they are there for a reason.

I think I'm in the minority on this, but I wish they hadn't bothered with dynamic water. You could still support deformable terrain by recalculating a static water flow to match the new terrain, and it would have made a lot of waterfront and water-interacting stuff much less stupid to work with.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Supraluminal posted:

I think I'm in the minority on this, but I wish they hadn't bothered with dynamic water. You could still support deformable terrain by recalculating a static water flow to match the new terrain, and it would have made a lot of waterfront and water-interacting stuff much less stupid to work with.
Yeah, it's bad enough with the random flooding even without building any dams.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

MikeJF posted:

I'm pretty sure at least if an asset dependency isn't downloaded but you get a building that needs it, it just doesn't appear on the building - the game doesn't crash, it's just that a building might look a bit funny because a part is missing. Right? Or have I been lucky?

Yeah that's how it worked in sc4 too. That thing you downloaded with literally 30 dependencies? 20 of them are custom benches and lamp posts you barely notice, 1 is the ground texture which you will notice not being there, and the rest don't actually show up in the building the author jus has a standard list of alleged dependencies.

Missing building models were brown boxes but they were always the actual main file you were downloading. The dependencies were always stupid poo poo like decoration props and path/ground textures because you just gotta save that 100k lamp post by putting it into a 2mb installer package.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 11, 2015

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Missing dependencies in SC4 spawn the Brown Boxes though, didn't they?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
They posted this shot to Facebook:

Looks pretty cool. Much better than the earliest screens of night mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

ToastyPotato posted:

They posted this shot to Facebook:

Looks pretty cool. Much better than the earliest screens of night mode.

Yeah, their most recent shots seem to have much better, more believable lighting, especially for distant lights.