Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

ApplesandOranges posted:

Don't know if this is the right place to put it but here goooes.

I have an iPhone 4 and over the last month or so its battery seems to be pretty out of whack. More often that not it seems to drain battery very quickly (I've had it go down to 30% within a few hours of it fully charging), and it will now just randomly turn off at random percentages, even when I turn off all the apps. Right now even connected to a charger, it seems to be random whether or not it will turn itself on (sometimes it'll stay plugged for hours before turning on, and when unplugged even with high life, it would just keep giving the low battery sign).

It's not more than a few years old (I think I got it around 2012?) and the warranty's expired. I might try to upgrade around Christmas but I want to see if this one can even survive til then.

Just buy an oem battery and the correct screwdriver on eBay and replace it yourself. It's a ten minute job. Check out ifixit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
don't buy any of that poo poo buy my iphone 6 on sa mart

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3740443

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yeah that battery's bound to be shot by now. Honestly, battery replacement on the 4/4S series wasn't too bad at all. You should be able to get a kit from iFixit for like $20 if you just want to keep it limping along for a few more months.

This. I got a way better battery from Ebay for my old 4S, but it got worse anyways after a couple of months, it's still chinese crap, but helped out alot, but it's worth the price tag.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah, after a whole night of overcharging didn't make it turn on, I just went and got it a new battery (funnily enough, it turned on just as I hit the phone store, like a desperate last plea to give me another chance. Nice try.) Works great for now, thanks for the advice!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I still have istat installed on my phone, a remnant from when the memory clear function worked and it may or may not have done anything (probably not, but early memory management wasn't great). But the uptime counter still works.

I've had my iPhone 6 coming up to a year now, and it kind of astounds me that a device that I use constantly had been turned off maybe... 3 times since I've owned it? And I think all but 1 might've been for a software update. Maybe all 3 were.

It's currently on 70 days. I've seen it above 100 before. That's ridiculous. It's not as if I'm even trying to keep it running by impairing my use of it.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I still have istat installed on my phone, a remnant from when the memory clear function worked and it may or may not have done anything (probably not, but early memory management wasn't great). But the uptime counter still works.

I've had my iPhone 6 coming up to a year now, and it kind of astounds me that a device that I use constantly had been turned off maybe... 3 times since I've owned it? And I think all but 1 might've been for a software update. Maybe all 3 were.

It's currently on 70 days. I've seen it above 100 before. That's ridiculous. It's not as if I'm even trying to keep it running by impairing my use of it.

iOS 8.4 was released 70 days ago.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Anyone know when Discover is going to be supported by ApplePay? I'm running iOS 9 developer beta, and when you're on the initial splash page to set up a card, Discover is shown along with Visa, MasterCard, etc, but it still won't let me add my Discover. I know they announced that it was coming soon a few months ago, but has an exact date been announced? I'm assuming no.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

empty baggie posted:

Anyone know when Discover is going to be supported by ApplePay? I'm running iOS 9 developer beta, and when you're on the initial splash page to set up a card, Discover is shown along with Visa, MasterCard, etc, but it still won't let me add my Discover. I know they announced that it was coming soon a few months ago, but has an exact date been announced? I'm assuming no.

September 16. Discover is also offering 10% cashback on all in-store Apple Pay purchases until 2016, up to $10,000 in spend. Insanely good deal and I’ll be trying to spend all 10k before the year is out.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TinTower posted:

iOS 8.4 was released 70 days ago.

That it was, I wanted to try Apple Music so I did the update. Probably wouldn't have bothered if it was just a point release with nothing new or bug fixes for stuff that didn't affect me.

You hear about servers having up times of 10 years but a lot of the time they're not doing anything that intense (it's still neat though). This thing lives in my pocket permanently, goes everywhere I go, gets dropped sometimes, goes on international flights and gets used a poo poo ton. I get the odd respring and that's it. It blows my mind as to the stability of it.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

bobfather posted:

September 16. Discover is also offering 10% cashback on all in-store Apple Pay purchases until 2016, up to $10,000 in spend. Insanely good deal and I’ll be trying to spend all 10k before the year is out.

Nice. I assumed it wouldn't go live unit iOS 9 did. That's awesome, because Discover is the only credit card I use (not counting my debit card).

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
why does no one want to buy my phone do i have cooties what the hell is it

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Because they can get a new one for $30/mo

Used phone market going down down in an earlier round*

*yeah it's a Fall Out Boy reference and I should probably kill myself.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Yeah this Apple purchase plan is a huge blow to the used phone market, it's also a very calculated move to do exactly that, and siphon the profits that were once caught in that market back to Apple. Brilliant business plan, actually.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Michael Scott posted:

Yeah this Apple purchase plan is a huge blow to the used phone market, it's also a very calculated move to do exactly that, and siphon the profits that were once caught in that market back to Apple. Brilliant business plan, actually.

Do we know if that's available in Canada?

Edit:
Oh. :( http://www.macworld.com/article/2982376/apple-phone/iphone-6s-pricing-plan-offers-frequent-upgrades-and-applecare-for-a-premium.html

quote:

The plan is only available for purchase or pickup at Apple’s U.S. retail stores, and requires a valid American credit card.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 10, 2015

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

bobfather posted:

If you use amazon you can use the gyft app to buy gift cards with apple pay and get the cashback.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

LionYeti posted:

If you use amazon you can use the gyft app to buy gift cards with apple pay and get the cashback.

That may not work, since the Discover site specifically says in-store purchases. Time will tell though.

bobdigi
Oct 6, 2004
yea you know who is he
Just in case anyone was wondering, the new animated wallpapers are not on the iPhone 6 nor the iPad Mini 2.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Here's an interesting "feature" or possibly a bug I found today. Last month I almost went over my data plan limit luckily it reset, but I checked it today and saw that it already was at 3.6G of data usage between 2 phones. My wife's phone was at 1.2G and my phone was at 2.4G. So, I reset the cellular data stats on my phone and then checked it about 4 hours later and had used almost a gig of data! I went into details and saw under System Services that my Personal Hotspot had consumed 920 megs of data. Weird because NOTHING was tethered to it. In fact, the Personal Hotspot option was off.

I use my old iPhone 5 to listen to music at work, and with a bit of research found out that if it needs to access the internet or something, it will use my primary phone's instant hotspot without prompting me or anything to do background refresh of data. I'm assuming this is Apple's idea of a "feature" because there literally is no way to turn off the Instant Hotspot feature without disabling Bluetooth or signing one of the devices out of iCloud (both of my phones are signed into the same iCloud account).

Anyone ever hear of this, or is this a bug?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

trilljester posted:

Here's an interesting "feature" or possibly a bug I found today. Last month I almost went over my data plan limit luckily it reset, but I checked it today and saw that it already was at 3.6G of data usage between 2 phones. My wife's phone was at 1.2G and my phone was at 2.4G. So, I reset the cellular data stats on my phone and then checked it about 4 hours later and had used almost a gig of data! I went into details and saw under System Services that my Personal Hotspot had consumed 920 megs of data. Weird because NOTHING was tethered to it. In fact, the Personal Hotspot option was off.

I use my old iPhone 5 to listen to music at work, and with a bit of research found out that if it needs to access the internet or something, it will use my primary phone's instant hotspot without prompting me or anything to do background refresh of data. I'm assuming this is Apple's idea of a "feature" because there literally is no way to turn off the Instant Hotspot feature without disabling Bluetooth or signing one of the devices out of iCloud (both of my phones are signed into the same iCloud account).

Anyone ever hear of this, or is this a bug?

Turning off Bluetooth (which you mentioned) is the only trick I'm aware of, but yes it's really annoying you can't turn this off.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I think the 6S might be the first new iPhone where I'm not feeling really jealous of people who can do an upgrade every year. 3D Touch isn't something I can imagine making any appreciable difference to how I use the phone and just kinda seems like another way of doing long-presses.

That being said, I'd have no problem with the iPhone Upgrade Program coming to the UK for the iPhone 7 as, if they keep the pricing as a fair USD -> GBP conversion (they obviously won't, nobody ever does) then it would be decent value for money vs buying iPhones outright given the inclusion of AppleCare+ etc.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm in with the 6S for the camera alone. Camera on the 5S blew my mind when I got it and I can't wait to try out this one.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Question Mark Mound posted:

I think the 6S might be the first new iPhone where I'm not feeling really jealous of people who can do an upgrade every year. 3D Touch isn't something I can imagine making any appreciable difference to how I use the phone and just kinda seems like another way of doing long-presses.

That being said, I'd have no problem with the iPhone Upgrade Program coming to the UK for the iPhone 7 as, if they keep the pricing as a fair USD -> GBP conversion (they obviously won't, nobody ever does) then it would be decent value for money vs buying iPhones outright given the inclusion of AppleCare+ etc.

O2 are offering rolling twelve month upgrades with the 6S on their 30GB tariff, minus Applecare but plus O2 Insurance. My estimate is that it'll be £39/month for the airtime contract plus £(Apple Store Price/24) for the phone contract.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm in the same boat, but they probably know that the majority of people are on a 2 year upgrade plan so there wasn't much point throwing all their eggs into one basket. People were probably already counting down for their 5S to hit the end of the contract so they could get their hands on a 6 as it was a pretty upgrade.

I think the 3D Touch looks cool though and I'm keen to try it. The camera I'm less caring about, because they always show amazing photography off at these things... at the end of the day it's a higher megapixel count (semi useless) with some better processing (semi useful). The shots most people will take will probably look the same as the current camera under most circumstances.

If they added manual features into the native software, that would've been a bigger leap. Even if it was simplified nicely, because most people won't care about what f-stop to use but 'everything in focus' or 'just subject in focus' modes would've been a neat bridge.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
The new camera is actually more interesting to me than the 3D Touch, purely because my DSLR is rain damaged and I really didn't use it enough to justify paying whatever amount Canon would want to fix it. Totally agree on more f-stop/aperture options, though. I didn't even stop to think that the camera hardware was really capable of more control.

Re: rolling contracts, I'm just hoping I can get something whenever it's rolled out in the UK comparable to what I paid for up-front iPhone 6 128GB (/24 per month) plus £15/month for Tesco Mobile 2GB data. I guess that would be (using 6S prices) ~£700/24 + £15 = ~£45 a month. If I could get something in that range I'd probably be pretty chuffed, since I assume iPhone reselling costs would probably go down a fair bit when that comes in.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yeah that battery's bound to be shot by now. Honestly, battery replacement on the 4/4S series wasn't too bad at all. You should be able to get a kit from iFixit for like $20 if you just want to keep it limping along for a few more months.

Are the battery kits on ifixit pretty good? I need to replace my battery on my 5 cause it goes from 100 to 0 in like 3 hours of use so yeah. I was planning on just upgrading to a 6S but apparently it's only $30 for a battery and tools which seeks pretty cheap.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
I already promised my 6 to my girlfriend, but now I'm kinda underwhelmed. I'm waiting for reviews on the camera and battery life and will then decide between the 6s and the new Nexus 5.
The higher price in Europe is also a big turnoff. I know, what is 50€ in relation to a 800€ phone, but still...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The new camera is actually more interesting to me than the 3D Touch, purely because my DSLR is rain damaged and I really didn't use it enough to justify paying whatever amount Canon would want to fix it. Totally agree on more f-stop/aperture options, though. I didn't even stop to think that the camera hardware was really capable of more control.

That sucks, I have weather sealing on my DSLR but it's still not something I want to test out too fully.

The iPhone camera is decent for a 'I've always got it on me' device, but even after years of ownership I just don't find the thing easy to use. I can pull it out, aim at what I want and get a photo, which is fine. But beyond the 'tap to focus' I don't like the control (exposure compensation never works how I want it to, zero control over the aperture, shutter speed or ISO). The phone is making too many decisions for me, yet it doesn't know what I want the image to look like.

Absolutely fine for a 'huh, this is cool and I want a memory of it' for me, but that's about it. I've always wanted to see the circumstances the 'untouched photos' they show at these events were done. Some the photographer has absolute control over lighting, probably has the phone stabilised etc but I genuinely don't know how they do it for the most part.

e: also I hope that Walt Mossberg was joking about his DSLR comment yesterday, "you must feel like a real idiot for owning this" or similar to a reporter with a camera.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

That sucks, I have weather sealing on my DSLR but it's still not something I want to test out too fully.

The iPhone camera is decent for a 'I've always got it on me' device, but even after years of ownership I just don't find the thing easy to use. I can pull it out, aim at what I want and get a photo, which is fine. But beyond the 'tap to focus' I don't like the control (exposure compensation never works how I want it to, zero control over the aperture, shutter speed or ISO). The phone is making too many decisions for me, yet it doesn't know what I want the image to look like.

Absolutely fine for a 'huh, this is cool and I want a memory of it' for me, but that's about it. I've always wanted to see the circumstances the 'untouched photos' they show at these events were done. Some the photographer has absolute control over lighting, probably has the phone stabilised etc but I genuinely don't know how they do it for the most part.
There are plenty of apps that give you manual control over aperture, shutter speed, and ISO. :confused:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yes, I've got VSCO which does that, but I've never been truly convinced by it - albeit I've not spent that much time in them. I'm talking about the native camera app. Maybe the photographers aren't using the iPhone app, which would make some sense.

They're really pushing what you can do with tiny sensors and tiny lenses, and it's cool - but it's never going to be more than a snapshot tool for me personally. I bow down to those who get amazing shots from these things.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

As an amateur photographer myself, I'm not convinced with fine-graining phone camera software controls, but...

EL BROMANCE posted:

'everything in focus' or 'just subject in focus' modes would've been a neat bridge.

This is probably the best idea.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Does the iPhone camera actually have a real aperture?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's a fixed 2.2 aperture. I think all iPhone cameras have been fixed aperture??

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, opening image capture shows all my iPhone photos as having a focal length of 4mm (naturally fixed) at f/2.2

I presume all the apps that give you manual control are faking a lot of it, but having the ability to put hard limits on say the shutter speed would be useful. I dunno. To me it just seems that all phone camera manufacturers try to say how much better this years camera is, but you've got such hard limitations in place that it can only do so much. You can take real pretty photos, no doubt, but whenever I see a tech site say it's time to throw away your 'real cameras' I just bang my head against the desk. Although to be honest, most things tech sites say make me do the same thing.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

And to be fair, a lot of compact digital cameras don't have a real aperture either. I have a pretty pricey Canon from a few years ago and it just has a disc that can move in front of the lens to stop it way down.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The manual camera apps out there ARE quite good (especially Filmic Pro for video). I like using Manual a lot. BUT I end up using the stock Camera app 99% of times. I'd only ever use something like Manual if I had the iPhone on a tripod.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Boris Galerkin posted:

Are the battery kits on ifixit pretty good? I need to replace my battery on my 5 cause it goes from 100 to 0 in like 3 hours of use so yeah. I was planning on just upgrading to a 6S but apparently it's only $30 for a battery and tools which seeks pretty cheap.

iFixit (from my experience) sells the same stuff Apple gets.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else on the public beta getting a message that says to update the beta, but no update is available in Software Update?

edit: I see someone asked this on the last page. Common problem I guess.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I got one last week, I guess, and another last night.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I don't understand why flagship phones don't use larger sensors. Surely they have the space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The sensors are fine. I mean they aren't $3000 DSLR sensors but they do a pretty good job for such a small package, and they get better every year.

The failure with phone cameras is the lovely lenses they end up with.