Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Geirskogul posted:

As the licensed optician of the group, I highly recommend seeing an eye doctor every two years, even if the Rx doesn't change. You'd be amazed at what else can change. And if they offer fundus photography for something like $50, then go for it. That's the moneymaker right there, along with the physical slit lamp examination by the doc (the part where you see the reflections of your own eye veins in your vision).

I really should go see an optician... everyone else in my family wears glasses (except my brother has since a lab accident with scoplomine that led to an overdose and photophobia- Who would have thought that having your eyes jammed at 100% dialated for 4 days would do damage to your vision?!?) and I've got SOMETHING in one eye (black dot thats fixed in place regardless of point of view).

But everything is still crisp and in focus so its a case of if it aint broke, dont fix it. Im a terrible patient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Enourmo posted:

All American mechanics are in the wrong occupation

or at least the wrong country

no what i mean is that he doesn't seem particularly good at what he does

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

so i seem to be over my sickness. :unsmith:

but it's wrecked my sleep schedule that i'd JUST gotten into an actual diurnal cycle. :smith:

just in time for another 12 hour school day when i've already been up for like 15. :unsmigghh:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Well i just met the owner of the cat whos been pissing on my doors until we caught it in a trap and gave it enough of a scare that it hasnt been back since....

Hoooly poo poo shes more feral than the bloody cat! Apparently its MY fault her cats wandered onto my property and i broke the law trapping it (except the law says otherwise) and that it was MY responsibility to find out when they got back from holidays and talk to them about their cat being trapped AT MY FRONT DOOR.

I had to laugh when she was telling me that i needed to grow up, considering shes the one who came storming out of her house and started to yell at me on the street.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

You're better off just replacing the pink tile, too. Replacing one outdated part of the bathroom still leaves an outdated bathroom. If you are hell-bent on keeping the pink tile, you can just replace the countertop which would make a big difference and get you a new sink and faucet (get one of the faucets that pivots, they are awesome in a bathroom). Also, if you are lucky, you can scour craigslist for cabinet bases and you may come up with something that you'd be able to make into the vanity with just a bit of saw work.

some texas redneck posted:

So my new phone showed up. It was an open box from Amazon Warehouse Deals. It was sold as carrier-neutral, unlocked.

I was going to warn you about Amazon Warehouse when I saw your post, but it was too late. I tried them a few times and their failure rate for me was over 50%. Mis-described, wrong-items, you name it. If you buy from Amazon Warehouse, make sure that it's something you don't really need, 'cause you're taking a chance.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I actually like the pink tile. I guess I'm a wierdo. :blush:

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Ferremit posted:

Well i just met the owner of the cat whos been pissing on my doors until we caught it in a trap and gave it enough of a scare that it hasnt been back since....

Hoooly poo poo shes more feral than the bloody cat! Apparently its MY fault her cats wandered onto my property and i broke the law trapping it (except the law says otherwise) and that it was MY responsibility to find out when they got back from holidays and talk to them about their cat being trapped AT MY FRONT DOOR.

I had to laugh when she was telling me that i needed to grow up, considering shes the one who came storming out of her house and started to yell at me on the street.

Were you wearing her former cat as a hat at the time?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I had a dream last night I was at Pipkin's and he had a crazy stable of animals in his backyard... skunks, porcupines, moose, etc.

piss boner
May 17, 2003

Mat_Drinks posted:

Do any of them do prescription sunglasses without having a less than two year old prescription? Or does anyone know of a place that'll support that? I know WP doesn't, and sure, I could just go to an eye doc to renew my script, but that's such a PITA when just over two years ago my eyes were the same as ten years before that.

All three of them do, I still use a 10 year old prescription.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Ferremit posted:

Welcome to my day... This has been going on, practically non stop, since 9am. Stupids in the cage because hes got a broken leg and refuses to NOT run around relentlessly chasing the other cat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B_cBgIDnuA

Hell is real, and its got cats in cages in it...

That is every day of my cat-life, and without them in cages. I got a talkative gently caress, my girlfriend has a talkative gently caress, put 'em together and we've got no peace and quiet whatsoever. It is the second-worst aspect of my cat ownership experience.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I am suffering the most middle-class 1st-world problem at the moment :v:

We bought sofas 6 years ago without stain guard, had 2 kids, a dog and 2 cats. Sofas still look okay, no damage or stains but we need to get rid of a massive swiveling armchair and replace it with a second sofa because we moved and it doesn't fit.

Wife is paranoid and wants stain guard on the new one, £90 on a £400 sofa. I let her have it to keep her happy but my treat-self budget is evaporating quickly.

On the plus side there are bats in the trees behind us, and even better, the house is on great condition and they aren't in our attic so I get to watch them in the back garden without worrying :yayclod:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I love noisy kitties :)

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

CharlesM posted:

I love noisy kitties :)

But you wouldn't want to own one.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

corn in the fridge posted:

no what i mean is that he doesn't seem particularly good at what he does

I'm sure you have never broke anything while fixing something :rolleyes:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Got another job interview on Friday. Hopefully they don't low-ball me. I'll be the 3rd one to quit this lovely company since Sept. 1st. :downswords:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sigma X posted:

But you wouldn't want to own one.

I have noisy kitties. Better than noisy doggies.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I'm sure you have never broke anything while fixing something :rolleyes:

oh sure i have especially when i was young and inexperienced and some things can't be helped but both scenarios 14inch described are examples of negligence. Now im not saying he's incompetent but the broken fuel rail resulted from a lack of care and attention to what he was doing and the second was due to not even bothering to look at the component he was condemning! Both scenarios could have been easily avoided but he either doesn't know any better (which I think he does) or doesn't care which in my book makes him a bad mechanic

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Backov posted:

Were you wearing her former cat as a hat at the time?

I just about should have... Making a complaint to the council about it tomorrow because other people in the estate have this stupid pest cat on their property too.

Noisy kitties are great IN THEORY. After the 8th hour of music for the day on the 4th day in a row the urge to turn a noisy kitty into a silent slipper is pretty drat high...

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
My stupid loving new roommate left a trash bag out of the can on Monday, and my dog got in to it. After having to steam clean all the floors, now he is pooping on the rugs. I guess eating the trash gave him an upset stomach because it aint solid poop. I can tell the poor guy isn't feeling the greatest, he isn't as active as he usually is.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Super Aggro Crag posted:

That's where I get mine as well. My eye doctor wasn't pleased that I wasn't gonna let him rape me on a pair of lovely Chinese frames.
Unless the frames said Fanbao or Huangchi or some other chinese word then they definitely weren't chinese frames. The cost price for frames is loving astronomical. If your optometrist is charging you $350-$400 for a pair of Hugo Boss/Armani/whatever frames then they probably cost him $300 per frame to have in the store. Don't blame the optometrist for the cost of loving plastic. Blame the fashion industry.

Also, go get your loving eyes checked properly even if your prescription doesn't change. It's insane the amount of seemingly-unrelated health problems the optometrist will give you early warning on just by looking at the back of your eye.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Yeah the frame game is silly marked up. I paid £270 for some frames years ago and my sister remarked that she liked them. She went and had a look online and found (and bought) the exact same ones (same model code) for £70. I was not happy.

I hate paying over the odds for anything but 20p's worth of plastic? :/

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MustardFacial posted:

Also, go get your loving eyes checked properly even if your prescription doesn't change. It's insane the amount of seemingly-unrelated health problems the optometrist will give you early warning on just by looking at the back of your eye.

What do you mean, like he can tell if you have some sort of disease or a health condition by looking at your eyes?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

leica posted:

What do you mean, like he can tell if you have some sort of disease or a health condition by looking at your eyes?

Yeah. Early detection on head tumours, blood pressure problems, diabetes risk, some forms of cancer detection, etc. can all be seen really early with a regular eye exam (especially if they numb your eye and stick that multi-mirror lens thing on it.)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

some texas redneck posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone agrees it was more of a "it needs to be torn down and burned for kindling, but gently caress it, I'm gonna fix it" purchase. :haw:

Yeah, my only regrets so far are:
- paid too much. Still got a good price, but I would have offered 20-25 not 38 if I knew how hosed the structure was.
- not gutting the entire inside all at once including the interior walls in the first floor, floor joists in the first and second floors, and floor support beams and posts in the basement. I left those in place, if I could go back and do it again I'd rip that all out, have a cement truck back up to the living room window to pour cement floor in the basement, then blow another 2k on timber and have all straight level floors and walls in both floors instead of only one.

A complete teardown would have been better, but comes with downsides, like you have to hire an architect instead of pulling permits for projects as you go, utility hookup rework, not having a CO till it's done, another 30-40k spent on concretework, more spent on demolition, another $5k on timber, etc.

My next house will be very different and I will be building it entirely myself, possibly with one helper. No more dealing with other people's bad choices and basket cases.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

kastein posted:

Speak for yourself, my smallest car fits down ATV trails when I put it in 4x4 :colbert:

If I got a beat up one I would probably make the worlds smallest street legal (without 25 year rule / antique plates / similar shenanigans) pickup conversion.

Hahah, well, fair. I miss my old Geo Tracker, because it was the same. And honestly, our Venza (AWD) is more capable on snow/ice than the truck is. But the truck has some pretty solid clearance, and handles big bumps better. I haven't really done much beyond some relatively well-maintained fire roads and logging roads - the other stuff is why I really, really, really want to grab an old jeep to play with. But, well, houses are expensive. New furnace going in this year, as my insurance company is saying "gently caress you, its old, replace or get raped on prices".

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Siochain posted:

Hahah, well, fair. I miss my old Geo Tracker, because it was the same. And honestly, our Venza (AWD) is more capable on snow/ice than the truck is. But the truck has some pretty solid clearance, and handles big bumps better. I haven't really done much beyond some relatively well-maintained fire roads and logging roads - the other stuff is why I really, really, really want to grab an old jeep to play with. But, well, houses are expensive. New furnace going in this year, as my insurance company is saying "gently caress you, its old, replace or get raped on prices".

My poor 1991 Geo Tracker blew up its manual transmission. Twice.

:smith: I still miss it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

leica posted:

Ummm, yes. This is actually the reason all states make corrective Rxs expire, because it forces your lazy rear end into the office every now and again for the health check*.

The 7 years I did it, I saw multiple people with ocular nerve cancer, early onset macular degeneration, etc, that either saved their eyesight, or their lives, by having the disease or cancer spotted in the yearly exam. Better to lose your eye than your brain.

Cancer is the obvious one, but things like MD or glaucoma are those diseases that can have their progression slowed or halted, but the damage can never be reversed, so the earliest detection is the key to saving your eyesight.

*not true, but is a convenient motivator

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Siochain posted:

TBF, a new high efficiency furnace will likely save you money in the long run. Our old furnace was a SuperHot from 1971, and I replaced it with a more efficient Weil McLain and just that change alone dropped our gas bill $200 in the winter. The Weil McLain isn't even a high efficiency one, but compared to technology from 1971, this thing might as well use no fuel at all. Same with LED lightbulbs, for the love of gently caress everyone should use LED light bulbs.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 10, 2015

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm all for going to the optometrist regularly (hell, I've got two in my family) but I'm done buying glasses through optometrists. My vision insurance coverage is loving laughable at how little actual coverage it gets me; a set of glasses from Zenni are cheaper than my after-insurance rate through any major chain. I spend far more on premiums than I save in the optometry visit, too.

So, AZ goons, everyone still in one piece? :shepicide:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

So, AZ goons, everyone still in one piece? :shepicide:

Story behind this?

NM, found it.

What the gently caress is with AZ's obsession with forming posses?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 10, 2015

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
I have had this song stuck in my head since 7:00am. :shepicide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeN8saLI1IE

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Put in some new hardware yesterday, I had to take off before they fired things back up. Come in today to do a little cleanup and testing...hardware has wrong firmware level and can't be down reved to match the rest of the stuff. Have been sitting here twiddling my thumbs all loving day while we wait for software, debate if it's worth the risk of updating everything or if we remove all the stuff we did yesterday. We were supposed to have a decision by 10am...it's nearly 3 :suicide:

Really didn't need today to go way longer than planned. Still have to find race gas, pickup my tires, rebuild a carb, put a couple heat cycles on the engine and a few other things tonight before I even start packing the car. :bang:

edit: up to a 60% chance of rain for my trackday where I'll be running slicks

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 10, 2015

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Story behind this?

NM, found it.

What the gently caress is with AZ's obsession with forming posses?

For the uninformed, there's some jackass shooting vehicles along I10 pretty much anywhere in Phoenix west of 32nd street. Yeah, it's awesome.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm gonna laugh when it turns out to be some bored 8 year old who got a rifle for his birthday and wasn't explained the consequences of shooting at stuff.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Powershift posted:

I'm gonna laugh when it turns out to be some bored 8 year old who got a rifle for his birthday and wasn't explained the consequences of shooting at stuff.

At least a few of them have been confirmed to be BBs, so you might be more right than you realize :v:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is there a better place to buy tires than Walmart? I'm looking at the Continental DWS and it seems like buying them from Tirerack involves both shipping as well as getting reamed by an installer that didn't sell you the tires. I even remember Walmart had them on sale last year.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The downside is that you'll have Walmart techs installing your tires, who range from "competent" to "barely alive, let alone conscious". You can have Walmart install TireRack tires too, though I think they just recently upped their install fee for this.

If you have a Discount Tire / America's Tire nearby, they're very difficult to beat on price or service.

Homeowner chat: how much does it typically cost to do a preventative termite treatment / is it worthwhile? We've never done one (bought about 8 years ago) and have been a lot of the little bastards in the area recently. We got the house inspected and while they didn't find any indication that they've actually infested our house, they quoted us $600-$800 depending on the treatment we go with. Reasonable or assrape?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

At least a few of them have been confirmed to be BBs, so you might be more right than you realize :v:

And now you've got a Posse running around at night in body armor and ninja gear. I can't wait till one of these idiots gets shot.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Homeowner chat: how much does it typically cost to do a preventative termite treatment / is it worthwhile? We've never done one (bought about 8 years ago) and have been a lot of the little bastards in the area recently. We got the house inspected and while they didn't find any indication that they've actually infested our house, they quoted us $600-$800 depending on the treatment we go with. Reasonable or assrape?

Thats about what I paid for the initial treatment of my house in Florida from Terminex, then another $100-ish a year to keep it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yep -- that's about right, and if they're in your area it's absolutely worth it. Part of that cost is for the policy to repair any damage caused by the critters. Expect another $100/yr to retreat the house and renew the damage policy.

• Locked thread