Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Yawgmoth posted:

this owns all of the people it's going to fall directly on top of someday

Fixed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Yawgmoth posted:

this owns

When we can Finally spell out whole words with skyscrapes that don't just consist of several lower case l's in a row, then we truly will be living in a an amazing and pointless future world!

From a bit closer:

gently caress you gravity! :dance:

edit:

Hey stop taking gravities side. If humans won't to deify and mock gravity they should be able to all they please. :colbert:

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 9, 2015

RobertJ
Oct 18, 2005

peanut posted:

Needs context

Its a hotel in the Dutch town Zaandam. They took the building style, the so called Zaanse Style of that region and made a big pile of buildings out of it.

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
Can't believe there has been posts about Prague without this thing

Zizkov broadcasting tower right in the middle of Prague

Incase you were wondering what those black spots are...

e: VV

gender illusionist posted:

an actual space ship

funny you say that :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwnVGRwkZVs

Kerrow fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 9, 2015

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Kerrow posted:

an actual space ship

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Goddamn, that is terrible.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
The babies are really creepy up close.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
It's kinda cool to visit in real life. Prague has lots of awesome Soviet relics that most tourists never bother to see. There's much more to the city than the old town.

I forget what the baby statues were for though.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Bonster posted:

The babies are really creepy up close.

They forgot the ring

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Bogan Krkic posted:

I can see this from my new office

I was half hoping the person featured to be somebody reasonably recent, so in 20 years we can find out they had a Fritzl-esque dungeon in their house and deserved to be forgotten.

I found this instead: https://theconversation.com/melbournes-new-william-barak-building-is-a-cruel-juxtaposition-38983 Close enough.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
Cologne has some pretty bad buildings. The worst part is when you look at how the city was before it was bombed, it looked so much nicer.

This is a typical street, full of boring building built in the 50s and 60s:

some streets though have a few older buildings right next to each other and you can just tell how much nicer things used to/could be:

We also have our own ugly social housing projects:

The university has its share of brutalist buildings:

and other, more modern designs:

They decided to build this gigantic tower for students to live in (on the left, to the right are other, just as ugly buildings)

We have a building on a popular shopping street with this on top of it:

and the opera house looks like this:

It's currently undergoing a renovation, but I doubt it will improve the outward appearance. This is what it used to look like:

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Thats a lot of ugly poo poo, except the blocky apartments which I like so sue me

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
Cologne people should forever live in shame for what they did to the main train station.
They even had, for a time, a cool and good thing where they housed the old train station building in the newer train station building imo.
But of course, everything good and cool needs to be destroyed hail Satan

nah gently caress this poo poo lets

uuughghghghghghghghghgh

Boner Slam fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Sep 10, 2015

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
German cities that suffered from massive bombings in WW2 full of terrible 50s and 60s architecture. What a shocking discovery.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can't wait for WW4 so the Americas get old stone buildings of their own 700 years from now.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

dr_rat posted:

When we can Finally spell out whole words with skyscrapes that don't just consist of several lower case l's in a row, then we truly will be living in a an amazing and pointless future world!

From a bit closer:

gently caress you gravity! :dance:

edit:

Hey stop taking gravities side. If humans won't to deify and mock gravity they should be able to all they please. :colbert:

How do the lifts work? Are the shafts angled?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

therattle posted:

How do the lifts work? Are the shafts angled?

It looks like there's a place where you could draw a vertical line up the building. I'd imagine that's where both the lifts and the structural core are.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Architectural success, really.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Ugh. Who the gently caress poured that beer?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Lt. Chips posted:

Ugh. Who the gently caress poured that beer?

Are you questioning Glorious Leader's beer pouring ability?
:commissar:

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
upon Glorious Leader's birth a thousand cranes flew over the mountain and imparted upon him the secret of pouring beer that's 90% head

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Gold and a Pager posted:

We also have our own ugly social housing projects:

Christ, that looks like SimCity.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
demolishing beautiful buildings for lovely rectangles is the rich mans mid-life crisis

except instead of buying steroids and a cool sports car you're laying a big steel deuce all over history

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Kerrow posted:

That alien spaceship docking station/mind control antennae is loving awesome. There's one in the middle of San Francisco too, and it is also loving awesome:

It's 977' tall, and is on top of a 911' mountain, so it's a really prominent landmark:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutro_Tower

Some people hate it, especially old people who lived here before it was built, but cool people like it. No alien babies on ours though :argh:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Magnus Praeda posted:

Are you questioning Glorious Leader's beer pouring ability?
:commissar:

Wait, is that Cosmic Comic Cafe?

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

New thread title plz

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Boner Slam posted:

uuughghghghghghghghghgh
Unironic huge improvement. Old one was gaudy and poo poo.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Rah! posted:

That alien spaceship docking station/mind control antennae is loving awesome. There's one in the middle of San Francisco too, and it is also loving awesome:

It's 977' tall, and is on top of a 911' mountain, so it's a really prominent landmark:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutro_Tower

Some people hate it, especially old people who lived here before it was built, but cool people like it. No alien babies on ours though :argh:

Sutro tower owns and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Boner Slam posted:

Cologne people should forever live in shame for what they did to the main train station.
They even had, for a time, a cool and good thing where they housed the old train station building in the newer train station building imo.
But of course, everything good and cool needs to be destroyed hail Satan

uuughghghghghghghghghgh

That's a lovely old building for sure, but the newer one's got a different beauty. The structure rhymes with the type on top, as well as the logos on front. It's all a very harmonious combo. It's proudly straightforward. Better than unreasoned juxtaposition! I'd be happy to wait for a train there and stare at that big clock.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

frankenfreak posted:

German cities that suffered from massive bombings in WW2 full of terrible 50s and 60s architecture. What a shocking discovery.

Yeah, except this one survived the war just fine

Mescal posted:

That's a lovely old building for sure, but the newer one's got a different beauty. The structure rhymes with the type on top, as well as the logos on front. It's all a very harmonious combo. It's proudly straightforward. Better than unreasoned juxtaposition! I'd be happy to wait for a train there and stare at that big clock.

I can't believe you'd call that beautiful. Look at the rest of the building, it's a 60's piece of poo poo. The old building is like Grand Palais and Petite Palais, smths people would make fotos of today. No one takes fotos of the Cologne train station.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mescal posted:

That's a lovely old building for sure, but the newer one's got a different beauty.

No it doesn't.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The old one's gorgeous and certainly a level above the new one. But the new one is isn't atrocious. It looks like it's degraded a bit, but with a minor refit to the surfaces to the left and right of the main hall it could be very nice. On the right, cover the concrete top and bottom of the windows with white rims matching the top of the main hall, and on the left... okay, just refront the non-glass surfaces, yellowing squares are out. And extend the ground floor aesthetic to both sides. Maybe as you do that move the zeitcafe to the right of the main hall where the bike racks are, I hate having things stick out the front and interrupt what was clearly meant to be a big sheet entrance. Like we won't know we want a coffee unless we literally bump into it on the way in, having it a few feet away apparently isn't enough.

That's just a two-second cheap remedy, but looking at it a bit more, I reckon if you put some thought into it you could bring out the 60s elements of the design and really make it shine. The big main hall and curve has some great era-reminiscent elements.

EDIT: man the inside of the station is just sexy.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Sep 11, 2015

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Paddyb posted:

New thread title plz

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

No it doesn't.

nah its pretty decent. although i guess that doesnt necessarily make it beautiful.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Maybe as you do that move the zeitcafe to the right of the main hall where the bike racks are, I hate having things stick out the front and interrupt what was clearly meant to be a big sheet entrance. Like we won't know we want a coffee unless we literally bump into it on the way in, having it a few feet away apparently isn't enough.

It looks like it's set up so that the coffee shop is fully enclosed and has a separate outside entrance. To me it makes sense since it means people stopping to get a cup of coffee won't be going inside the station and then straight back out, or can get their coffee and go through to their train, and it's probably going to be quieter inside than if it was open to the station.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Boner Slam posted:

Yeah, except this one survived the war just fine
My statement was in response to Gold and a pager's "the city was so much prettier before the war". I'm not even trying to defend what they did to the station.

MikeJF posted:

EDIT: man the inside of the station is just sexy.

It is and it captures the original idea of putting the station where it is today: building a cathedral of modernity right next to the Cologne Cathedral.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

C.M. Kruger posted:

It looks like it's set up so that the coffee shop is fully enclosed and has a separate outside entrance. To me it makes sense since it means people stopping to get a cup of coffee won't be going inside the station and then straight back out, or can get their coffee and go through to their train, and it's probably going to be quieter inside than if it was open to the station.

Yeah, I meant... the big glass wall is clearly intended to be a grand entrance, and they just blocked off most of it with shops and the extending coffee shop ruins the visual effect. See the bike racks on the right of the photo? I meant put extension in there in that corner, so it doesn't stick out.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Sep 11, 2015

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

quote:

gently caress ART; THIS IS ARCHITECTURE

Paddyb posted:

New thread title plz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:

This is a 1980s hospital in Zagreb, Croatia. It looks weirdly plastic from the outside, but on the inside it looks like an airport terminal:

"Nauseatingly Green Plastic" is the pervasive theme inside the hospital. What's even better, the architect apparently loved the idea of port-a-potties so in the walk-in clinic waiting room, instead of real bathrooms you've got these weird green plastic kiosks you're supposed to take a poo poo in (GIS unfortunately came up with nothing on this one.)
I've had a wisdom tooth pulled in that clinic back in '04, the doctors were good but the building was weird as gently caress. They've got a bazillion of those arrow-pointing signs everywhere, they didn't stop me from getting lost in the hospital. It was like getting lost at an airport.

I bring you some lovable but nasty commieblocks for the working poor:

These shits are 1960's "sardine cans". Even though they were devised under the "Silver City" moniker, they ended up being called "Sardine Cans" because

Hot as gently caress in the summer, and cold in the winter: corrugated aluminum sheets insulated by a tiny little bit of spray-on asbestos and plywood, the whole thing left to rot over the past fifty years. Soundproofing in these buildings is virtually non-existent: a friend tells me she can hear her neighbor's Little White Dog scampering around the linoleum floors in the early morning. Every. Single. Morning.
The idea of aluminum/plywood walls must have sounded really impressive in 1957 (so much that the architect actually bothered to patent the design) but time has not been kind to these buildings. To add an insult to an injury, since they could be put up quickly and easily, the city planners shat out clumps of these aluminum blocks in quite a few districts of Zagreb. All of them are now way past their design life.

I've known several people who live there, and none were "all there" in the head. edit: despite the fact that aluminum cladding stops the government mind-controlling rays from getting inside.

A SWEATY FATBEARD fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 11, 2015

• Locked thread