Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

OneTwentySix posted:

It's sort of like if there's a herd of zebra, and lions kill half of the babies and 15% of the adults each year, but they keep out the wild dogs, hyenas, and leopards. Suddenly, the lions are gone and the other animals are eating 80% of the babies and 20% of the adults, overall it's not a good thing that the lions are gone.

This point of view relies almost entirely on seeing humans as helplessly passive. A better analogy would be an insanely oppressive government being taken out overnight. Yes, other dangerous elements would move in and things would be less stable. But unstable is much better than stably awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Wittgen posted:

This point of view relies almost entirely on seeing humans as helplessly passive. A better analogy would be an insanely oppressive government being taken out overnight. Yes, other dangerous elements would move in and things would be less stable. But unstable is much better than stably awful.

tell that to syria, pretty much

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Avalerion posted:

But rather than saying I wish the red court was still around people should be getting around to nuking the formor too.

This, if the red court were powerful enough to keep these second tier bad guys in check why hasn't the rest of the world blown them up yet?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

awesmoe posted:

tell that to syria, pretty much

I've been thinking that for this entire discussion.

On a semi-related note, where is all this information about the Fomor coming from? The only information I can remember about them is that they are opposed to Dresden, and that only because they send goons after him in Skin Game. I've read all of the novels (none recently), but everyone seems to know a lot more about them than I do.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Grundulum posted:

I've been thinking that for this entire discussion.

On a semi-related note, where is all this information about the Fomor coming from? The only information I can remember about them is that they are opposed to Dresden, and that only because they send goons after him in Skin Game. I've read all of the novels (none recently), but everyone seems to know a lot more about them than I do.

I think a lot of it is in the short stories.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think they're mentioned in Ghost Story but yeah, there's very little known past "group that capitalized on the post-Red Court power vacuum". Well, unless you go for the references in which case it's a bunch of nasty-tempered Irishmen with a leader who has really bad eyesight.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Azuth0667 posted:

This, if the red court were powerful enough to keep these second tier bad guys in check why hasn't the rest of the world blown them up yet?

Dresden was out of the game for awhile, the Wardens have been brutalized in the Red Court war and are now taking even further losses from Outsider attacks, the Faerie Courts have lost knights and ladies recently and are restructuring to deal with the Outsiders, the Denarians have their own 'master plan' distracting them, Lara's grip on the White Court is tenuous at best and that leaves basically only the Mortal authorities, whatever 1-trick hedge wizards Dresden's friends can drum up out of paranet, and Johnny Marcone to deal with the Fomor in Chicago.

Even if by themselves the Fomor wouldn't be as strong as an entrenched Red Court or the focused attention of the Wardens, that doesn't mean that anyone who can actually muscle them out of Chicago has the time or resources to spare doing so.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Pretty sure Thomas said Lara's control of the White Court was solid at this point.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
The White Court also doesn't really do their own dirty work, and if everyone else is busy, that leaves them with no one to manipulate into crushing the Fomor for them.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I asked Jim directly about the Fomor and basically he said they were a loose group of nasties that aren't Fae, but are in a similar wheelhouse. They're the guys the Unseelie didn't even want on their side. I got the impression that they aren't a single 'race' the way the vampires are but more of a collective. I think they're mainly meant to serve as the new disposable mooks since the Reds are gone.

They show up in a bunch of the side stories, they do a lot of biological/mutant monster making. We don't know why they've been kidnapping talents, but they've shown up in more cities than just Chicago. There's been references to Seattle "going dark" on the paranet and Jim gets what you might call a "wolfish grin" when asked about what happened there.

I think the rise of the Fomor has a lot to do with the recent Outsider activity because I think they either worship the outsiders or have some ties to them. There's been mention that (Cold days) someone was in charge of guarding the Outer Gates BEFORE Winter took over, but ended up getting corrupted and failing their duty and I'm personally convinced it was them.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 9, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mistaya posted:

I asked Jim directly about the Fomor and basically he said they were a loose group of nasties that aren't Fae, but are in a similar wheelhouse. They're the guys the Unseelie didn't even want on their side. I got the impression that they aren't a single 'race' the way the vampires are but more of a collective. I think they're mainly meant to serve as the new disposable mooks since the Reds are gone.

So, it's sort of like the Red Court were the Cardassians, and the Fomor are the Breen? :v:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Pretty sure Bob has a decent rant about the Fomor during Ghost Story that explains exactly who they are.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Wheat Loaf posted:

So, it's sort of like the Red Court were the Cardassians...

At first I read this as Kardashians and was like,"Yeah, ok. I can see that."

Then I got to "Breen" and was like, "... oh." :doh:

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Blasphemeral posted:

At first I read this as Kardashians and was like,"Yeah, ok. I can see that."

Then I got to "Breen" and was like, "... oh." :doh:

Me too. I've been watching The Soup too much...

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
So now that I can officially say this, I've read Butcher's upcoming new book from his new Cinder Spires series. Even got a chance to be part of a group cosplay this past weekend at DragonCon.

I'm the one in the (intentionally) horrible suit. The cane is my own creation and glows a whole bunch of colours and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, despite the rush.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I love me some Victorian ladies. Gives me ideas for PAX east.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

mistaya posted:

I think the rise of the Fomor has a lot to do with the recent Outsider activity because I think they either worship the outsiders or have some ties to them. There's been mention that (Cold days) someone was in charge of guarding the Outer Gates BEFORE Winter took over, but ended up getting corrupted and failing their duty and I'm personally convinced it was them.

I don't think they mentioned any corrupted guardians in Cold Days. I do believe that Mother Winter said that in this age holding the Outer Gates is the responsibility of Winter. She never mentions who had the duty before Winter. My theory is that this was before the Seelie and Unseelie courts even existed. Skin Game gives a hint that maybe the queen's mantles had a different form thousands of years ago. They find the statues of Hecate with the faces of the Queens--but Hecate was a 3-faced goddess, not a 6-faced one. Did something happen to cause a split between Winter and Summer?.

Also in Welcome to the Jungle. wasn't the hag trying to ascend and become Hecate? Is that mantle currently available? (Of course, its just as likely that as a graphic novel, this story may need to be retconned or reinterpreted in light of where the series went)

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I can not think of a single question to submit to Goodreads for their interview with Butcher next month. I feel like such a bad fan.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

mistaya posted:

They show up in a bunch of the side stories, they do a lot of biological/mutant monster making. We don't know why they've been kidnapping talents, but they've shown up in more cities than just Chicago. There's been references to Seattle "going dark" on the paranet and Jim gets what you might call a "wolfish grin" when asked about what happened there.

The Fomor have a "frog men from Shadows Over Innsmouth" vibe to them which meshes pretty well with the Outsiders being Lovecraftian horrors.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Captain Capacitor posted:

So now that I can officially say this, I've read Butcher's upcoming new book from his new Cinder Spires series. Even got a chance to be part of a group cosplay this past weekend at DragonCon.

I'm the one in the (intentionally) horrible suit. The cane is my own creation and glows a whole bunch of colours and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, despite the rush.

Someone could be a much better Barf from Spaceballs than whatever they were being there.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Chapter two of Aeronaut's Windlass was posted on Jim's site yesterday.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Captain Capacitor posted:

Is that cat person in the bottom right just their take on the talking cats in the cinder spires series or are there actual cat humans in the book?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I don't know the legitimate answer, but Butcher can be pretty goony so...

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I don't know the legitimate answer, but Butcher can be pretty goony so...
I don't think he stepped down to the horrors of furryism so far.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

anilEhilated posted:

I don't think he stepped down to the horrors of furryism so far.

Ok. I'm curious what you would call the Alphas then.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BabyFur Denny posted:

They are merely people who transform into their animal shapes and have sex that is completely different.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

BabyFur Denny posted:

Something my memory mercifully blocked out. Thanks.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ImpAtom posted:

They are merely people who transform into their animal shapes and have sex that is completely different.

That was the FBI agents. The Alphas never did that as far as I can recall.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wade Wilson posted:

That was the FBI agents. The Alphas never did that as far as I can recall.

Yes they did.

There's a short story where Andy and Kirby go to Harry with help with magical fleas that were attracted to them because they did the nasty in the wolfy.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Also on Demonreach after the fight with the one White Court vampire that Lara then, uh, kills. They both got heaping helpings of white vamp blood fighting her in wolf form

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Magres posted:

Also on Demonreach after the fight with the one White Court vampire that Lara then, uh, kills. They both got heaping helpings of white vamp blood fighting her in wolf form

In that instance they were in human form again when they started loving on the shores of Demonreach.

Not sure about the fleas one because I haven't bothered with any side stories other than the bigfoot set that was in the humble bundle and the one that explains how Molly got her apartment.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Wade Wilson posted:

... I haven't bothered with any side stories ...

You should, they're all pretty good as far as I can remember. But then, I don't remember the fleas part, so maybe I'm only remembering the good ones? :iiam:

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
The flea story is in Side Jobs (the collection of Dresden-related short stories). That story is a bit silly, but there are a bunch of good stories in Side Jobs, so it's definitely worth reading.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

To be fair, that short story is intentionally silly; Harry's got a day off and he's trying to prepare for a date and then chaos happens.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Almost done with Side Jobs, and they're all pretty fantastic (except the first one, which Butcher himself warns you is terrible).

The day off one is possibly my favorite. A lot of fun.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Wade Wilson posted:

In that instance they were in human form again when they started loving on the shores of Demonreach.

Not sure about the fleas one because I haven't bothered with any side stories other than the bigfoot set that was in the humble bundle and the one that explains how Molly got her apartment.

Oh thank god

Though there were other certainly goddamned hosed up things going on that island :cripes:

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Finally got to sit down with the latest Alex Verus book. I didn't really have a problem with it the way some of the others in this thread have but it was very action heavy and it didn't have a lot of good side-character moments that I usually expect from Alex. I think there was a bit of blue-balls after all the big reveals in the last book.

Really all the action was there to mask the fact that Jacka had to set up the Wizzard Political Landscape for the inevitable 'it all goes to hell' moments we're soon to see. Plus giving Verus just a tiny bit of council-credibility, which he did sorta need going forwards.

I'll admit that I like Caldera a lot so that might be why I liked it despite the flaws.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Clinton1011 posted:

Is that cat person in the bottom right just their take on the talking cats in the cinder spires series or are there actual cat humans in the book?

|Must be there take, there are no cat people in the cinder spires (yet)

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
It's just her take on Rowl. There's even an image where she knocks a glass off a table and Jim's character tries to catch it. I couldn't resist suggesting we take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Re: The Atrocity Archives. You guys were certainly right that it picks up a lot after about 100 pages. When it's a bit less "here's an excerpt from my university text books" and more "Castle Wolfenstein" it gets really good.