Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

That took me a while to figure out what kind of food would leave a mess like that, but would have a corn dog sitting alone. It looks like pudding.

Then I realized someone but a plastic sheet into the oven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

I hope the singular corndog was worth it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lonely Virgil posted:

I hope the singular corndog was worth it.

I have to assume that this too was the result of a child trying their best.

Gaybee
Jul 16, 2002
I would still eat that corn dog.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Hellgazy pie?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

Hellgazy pie?

He have such...foods...to show you.

Even in hell, your cooking will be legendary...

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Code Jockey posted:

Hellgazy pie?

:golfclap:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

OctoberBlues posted:

My favorite part of the Iowa State Fair was always the ugly cake contest. Every part of the cake has to be edible, but of course look as disgusting as possible. Here's the winner from a couple years ago!

quote:

The disheveled sheet cake — presented in a black trash bag — included moldy strawberries, rotten bananas and eyeball-shaped gummy candies that he purchased on sale after Halloween.
Edible?

Picnic Princess posted:

Someone on my instagram posted this one.

That 'butter' though. And does no one own any real dishes anymore?
So, the white stuff is supposedly butter? Butter isn't white. That looks like mayonnaise.

Roro posted:

In the UK we have "tea cakes", which are a biscuit base topped with mallow and covered entirely with milk chocolate, which I assume is what the mallocake things are?
Huh, turns out "tea cake" means a bunch of different things.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tiggum posted:

So, the white stuff is supposedly butter? Butter isn't white. That looks like mayonnaise.

It's not just you, I too must get better at googling things beforehand.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
The color of butter varies a lot depending on what the cows have been fed. It's usually more yellow in the summer.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

DekeThornton posted:

The color of butter varies a lot depending on what the cows have been fed. It's usually more yellow in the summer.

:aaaaa:

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Edible?
[/quote]

Unless they've changed the rules, I think the article meant that it was stuff that looked like moldy strawberries and rotten bananas. And I hope that is the case, because the contest isn't nearly as fun when you can just throw actual garbage on a cake.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
I sometimes browse Cook Pad for simple recipes when I'm bored, but lately there seem to be a rash of people that think that not only can they cook, but that they can photograph what they make.
"Sauteed Zucchini"

"Squash and Green Beans"

"Superb Salsa"

This one was simply titled, "Popsicle!"

It had graham crackers in it for some unfathomable reason.

Verily I Shat
May 24, 2015

by Smythe

kinmik posted:

Made me think of mango worms for some reason

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Tiggum posted:

Huh, turns out "tea cake" means a bunch of different things.

Your post has made me find out that what I thought a tea cake was is actaully this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundt_cake

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
I have a very long layover at the Kiev Boryspil airport and while I was searching for some dinner, I stumbled upon this beauty labeled "Burger Salmon":

In addition to the salmon, it had a couple of slices of cucumber, cream cheese and some dill. It was kinda underwhelming. Other burgers at the café also had funny colored buns.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

That just sounds like a lox bagel but on a black bun for some reason.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
Speaking of black buns, according to Dinosaur Dracula's twitter, there's going to be a halloween themed whopper with a black bun. Not sure if that's the only special thing about it, but it sounds like it has potential for this thread.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

ErIog posted:

Makes sense. Looks like I'll be able to do better next time. Thanks.

Also don't use super freshly laid eggs. They peel a lot worse than eggs that have sat for a few days.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Scathach posted:

Also don't use super freshly laid eggs. They peel a lot worse than eggs that have sat for a few days.

The Food Lab article makes it seem like this is really only a factor if you like live on a farm, and that's unlikely any store bought eggs are going to be new enough for it to matter.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If you want to peel eggs fast and without complications:

1) Let them cool down
2) Place them into a tupperware container with some cold water (you'll need multiple eggs for this)
3) Seal the container, shake vigorously
4) Peel the eggs, the shells should be falling off the white at this point.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

ErIog posted:

The Food Lab article makes it seem like this is really only a factor if you like live on a farm, and that's unlikely any store bought eggs are going to be new enough for it to matter.

It's good info for those of us with friends who have chickens that lay a ton of eggs. I get a free half-dozen every third day that are at most 3 days old. If you're buying your eggs from the store, they've already been a few days or longer in processing, transit, and shelf time, though.

To peel eggs, I shock them in an ice bath as soon as they're finished cooking, then roll each one between my hands to crack the shell a bit. Peel under cold water and it slips right off, usually as one piece. It's a bit laborious if you're doing more than a few.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Grape Soda posted:

Speaking of black buns, according to Dinosaur Dracula's twitter, there's going to be a halloween themed whopper with a black bun. Not sure if that's the only special thing about it, but it sounds like it has potential for this thread.
That's old hat already.

It was colored with squid ink which has no discernible taste, so yeah, would.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

kinmik posted:

Someone saved the piss snow from the gutter.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
The pro way to hardboil easy peeling eggs is to use a pressure cooker. No idea how or why but I can grab a dozen random eggs (live on a farm) of different ages and they all peal perfectly.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

kinmik posted:

"Squash and Green Beans"

Can't fool me. Thats squash and grey beans.

Captain Jesus posted:

I have a very long layover at the Kiev Boryspil airport and while I was searching for some dinner, I stumbled upon this beauty labeled "Burger Salmon":

Looks very sad, but still would. Thin the cucumbers and add some more cream cheese and it could pass for a salmon whoopee pie.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Why would you order cheese on the side in the first place?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Never tried a pressure cooker with eggs, but I'll have to check that out. Pressure cookers rock.

ErIog posted:

If you live within a few hours of a factory farm you get eggs within a few days at the grocery store, and they can still be difficult to peel. Unfortunately eggs in a grocery store are also rinsed, which gets rid of a protective layer that allows eggs to last a lot longer uncooked, so they're distributed fairly quickly. Eh.

I miss having chickens :(

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

OctoberBlues posted:

Why would you order cheese on the side in the first place?

I like to think that was a purposefully snarky response to such a dumb request.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
Mother of two on my Facebook feed.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

... that looks like a guinea pig and its child.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's not fancy or anything but in terms of this thread that meal might as well be from the french laundry

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Why do so many people use paper/Styrofoam plates day to day, this bothers me.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Because washing dishes is effort.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

OctoberBlues posted:

... that looks like a guinea pig and its child.

And it's screaming in terror

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Bina posted:

Mother of two on my Facebook feed.

LOOOSE

...peas?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

AnonSpore posted:

LOOOSE

...peas?

With waaaay overcooked green beans. When you boil them for too long, they start to disintegrate. And they taste bad.

Son of cash crab
Jul 22, 2015

PCOS Bill posted:

Give it a try, it's nice.

The Trinidad moruga scorpion (Capsicum chinense) is native to the district of Moruga in Trinidad and Tobago. On February 13, 2012, New Mexico State University's Chile Pepper Institute identified the Trinidad moruga scorpion as the hottest chili in the world, with a mean heat of more than 1.2 million Scoville heat units (SHUs) and individual plants with a heat of more than 2 million SHUs.[1] The previous record holder was the bhut jolokia of India. The current world record holder is the Carolina Reaper.
from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinidad_moruga_scorpion

I know this is from a few weeks ago, but I'm still trying to catch up on this thread. I've got Bhut Jolokia and Trinidad Scorpion growing in my garden. Today was the day that multiple fruits became ripe on each plant. I harvested some, ate half a Jolokia raw and made the rest into a tasty sambal for some fish I'm going to grill tomorrow night. How is this anti-food? If you don't like spicy and don't have a high tolerance, this stuff will ruin you. I was an idiot and didn't wash my hands properly after cutting the peppers. Rubbed my forehead and scratched the back of my neck and my skull felt like it was on fire for the next half hour. The burn was far worse on my skin than it was in my mouth or throat. Which I guess makes sense because I frequently eat very spicy food, but rarely massage it into my scalp.

Also, that discussion about boiled beef that occurred around the same time as PCOS Bill's post. Have none of you ever eaten Shabu Shabu? Boiled meat of any kind is absolutely delicious when boiled and prepared properly. Or out of a trashcan since we're all raccoons here.

Also, all you guys hitting on my mom is getting weird and desperate sounding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
While I await the "cash crab dies from eating weird Japanese candy burgers" trip report/video I thought I'd provide the thread with some more #wifematerial Stealth Edit: Also #wifematerial is suddenly flooded with topless photos on Instagram. It wasn't last week. Sealth Edit Part 2: Seriously there is nearly as many titty shots as there is pictures of food. This is annoying; I want to complain to Instagram they are misusing the hash tag.

Mostly because Loose Corn is the #wifematerial side to EVERYTHING

Just because of the :effort: put into making a banana fancy

Also :wtc:
THEY ARE MULTIPLYING!

• Locked thread