Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Gologle posted:

In Training, you're literally doing what people who hyped up Type-0 as the best Final Fantasy in years did. How does that make you feel? When the people who believe your exalted words spend their poverty money on a port (which, if it does exist, and took this much time to come out, should actually be pretty well optimized for PCs) only to find that the game is just as bad as the others, but in a different light(ning).

but we've all actually played lightning returns, idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Baal posted:

Shut up gologle

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

god drat... people liking things in games. I can't let this stand

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

The Machine posted:

What the gently caress ever, that Vamo alla Django track is hot as poo poo.

Glad I gave this a round two! :boom:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

corn in the bible posted:

but we've all actually played lightning returns, idiot

then y buy it a second time when you can just enjoy it forever and ever on the superior nippon system the PlayStation 3? lol it'd be one thing if you lost the game and it was no longer publicly available but it totes is. why i just :filez: all my old ROMs and cartridges nowadays, cus people think those old rear end games worth some 20 bucks including shipping. MAKES NO SENSE????

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Gologle posted:

then y buy it a second time when you can just enjoy it forever and ever on the superior nippon system the PlayStation 3? lol it'd be one thing if you lost the game and it was no longer publicly available but it totes is. why i just :filez: all my old ROMs and cartridges nowadays, cus people think those old rear end games worth some 20 bucks including shipping. MAKES NO SENSE????

im not going to buy it a second time but the people saying the game is good are people whove already played it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

you're retarded and i hate you

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Baal posted:

Shut up gologle

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Gologle posted:

I can't read a loving word of that. I mean, it looks like english...

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Baal posted:

Shut up gologle

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Listening to those FFIX remixes makes me want to replay the game, uuuugh. It, along with FFII, are the ones I am least familiar with because I've only played them once. Luckily FFII isn't worth replaying.

I'm digging the festival of the hunt remix though, sounds like something the Black Mages would play with Uematsu rocking out on the keyboard :rock:

EDIT: The Dark Messenger remix is also good :rock:

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 10, 2015

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Gologle posted:

Baal posted:

Shut up gologle

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I haven't listened to any of these OCR things but a 58 song soundtrack by 57 people seems like a really bad idea

It is, it's full of garbage. There's at least two tracks worth listening to.

Baal posted:

Shut up gologle

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Someone still needs to explain Necron to me in FFIX because in spite of playing through the ending a bunch of times and reading the text over and over I still had no idea what the gently caress

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Someone still needs to explain Necron to me in FFIX because in spite of playing through the ending a bunch of times and reading the text over and over I still had no idea what the gently caress

Necron was more like a metaphorical entity, like the embodiment of "zero-sum". Kuja reaches the Crystal (the source of all life on their planet) and his wishes for everyone to die is heard by Necron who 'wakes up' from his slumber in the "dead zone" between life and death, assuming the time has come for life to return to zero

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

He's the embodiment of the concept of death and cessation of existence. Kuja attacking the Crystal as a final screw you was basically his alarm clock and he was all 'Oh, is it time to erase existence already? Ok then.'

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

He's the embodiment of the concept of death and cessation of existence. Kuja attacking the Crystal as a final screw you was basically his alarm clock and he was all 'Oh, is it time to erase existence already? Ok then.'

this is explained where/when?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Baal posted:

Shut up gologle

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

TommyGun85 posted:

this is explained where/when?

quote:

The being pledges that it will always exist, as long as there is life and death.

In Final Fantasy 20th Anniversary Ultimania — File 1: Character Book, Necron is described as, "a being awakened by Kuja's fear, despair, and hatred, which called out to it as he learned of his mortality, just as his ambitions were within reach".

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Excels posted:

The being pledges that it will always exist, as long as there is life and death.

In Final Fantasy 20th Anniversary Ultimania — File 1: Character Book, Necron is described as, "a being awakened by Kuja's fear, despair, and hatred, which called out to it as he learned of his mortality, just as his ambitions were within reach".

It's really not clear in-game and really does come out of nowhere.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Necron is just an FF4 reference

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Necron is just a Suikoden 4 reference

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
it's pretty clear in the dialogue that Zidane has with him right before the final fight that that is exactly what he is. he says

"I exist for one purpose... To return everything back to the zero world, where there is no life and no crystal to give life.
In a world of nothing, fear does not exist. This is the world that all life desires."

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I just finished it this morning too. Funny how the other week we were taking about VIII being poo poo because of it not having a coherent story line next to IX and VII. As I played through, the story just felt weaker and weaker until the last disk where you are wandering though memories and Quina is chasing fish and poo poo is happening and.... blegh. I still prefer VIII.

morallyobjected posted:

it's pretty clear in the dialogue that Zidane has with him right before the final fight that that is exactly what he is. he says

"I exist for one purpose... To return everything back to the zero world, where there is no life and no crystal to give life.
In a world of nothing, fear does not exist. This is the world that all life desires."

Yeah... but what the gently caress for? It was decent tale until the last disk.

jiggerypokery fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 10, 2015

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
one of the main points in the story is the difference between how Kuja and Vivi deal with their respective mortalities as creations, with the irony that Kuja created Vivi to be a mindless golem but Vivi ends up dealing with things way better. Necron is the ultimate consequence of Kuja's wanting to destroy all of existence, which shows how ultimately destructive his way of thinking was

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

morallyobjected posted:

one of the main points in the story is the difference between how Kuja and Vivi deal with their respective mortalities as creations, with the irony that Kuja created Vivi to be a mindless golem but Vivi ends up dealing with things way better. Necron is the ultimate consequence of Kuja's wanting to destroy all of existence, which shows how ultimately destructive his way of thinking was

Which would have been more cool if Kuja was the final boss twisted from all that instead of Necron just popping in at the last part.

They must have foreshadowed Necron at some point in the game. Cause it feels really, really sudden to do that at the end.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

There was a theory that Necron was the true form of the Iifa Tree as the ultimate life vanquisher based on dialogue and whatnot. Not sure how sound that was since I read that like six or seven years ago and can't remember much.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I don't think it's really too out of the blue to introduce an ultimate god-being when a character tries to destroy the very foundation of existence, but I know it's not an uncommon problem people have with Necron.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Necron is the final boss of Final Fantasy IX. It is level 69 and has 54,100 health.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The problem with it was that he's sort of unmentioned until the end and it's a little silly when the villians been build up the whole game and then gets shoved aside for Necron.

Kuja's boss battle itself didn't have much going for it either. (aside from the music.)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Gologle posted:

you know i think that one guy who always attacks you after every post you make is kinda lame but i'm beginning to feel mighty inclined to agree with him

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Necron was just a physical representation of the apocalypse Kuja tries to cause, conveniently allowing it to be hit by swords. Kuja himself isn't the final boss because seeing the party struggle against oblivion gives him the courage to have an 11th hour change of heart and bail everyone out at the end of the fight. Also he works as allusion to the old final fantasies if you'd ever played those but considering alot of people only started the series with VII I can see why that went over alot of heads (my own included)

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

mandatory lesbian posted:

you know i think that one guy who always attacks you after every post you make is kinda lame but i'm beginning to feel mighty inclined to agree with him

I stand with Gologle.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Final Fantasy V is coming to PC before Lightning makes her Return.

http://gematsu.com/2015/09/final-fantasy-v-coming-pc-september-24

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Hell yeah

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My prediction is coming further true

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Phantasium posted:

bisonyes.avi

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Phantasium posted:

Ew that art style.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Phantasium posted:

Wish it wasn't a port of the mobile version due to all the changes that impact Fiesta-based strategies, but I'm still gonna buy it because it's the best Final Fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hoping for y-burn