Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I just grabbed and read Shattered Empire, seemed to be able to follow it fine though I don't know who the two main characters are, I'm guessing they're from something else? Anyway I enjoyed it. Marco seems to have been born to draw giant space battles. That art was gorgeous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think they're original.
I've heard people are mad at the other new post-Jedi thing, the novel Aftermath, for focusing on new characters (maybe it's just bad too.)

e: The husband is probably related to Oscar Issac from the new movie. He was the X-Wing pilot in the trailer.
http://www.comicvine.com/articles/star-wars-the-force-awakens-and-shattered-empires-/1100-153501/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 10, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

X-O posted:

I just grabbed and read Shattered Empire, seemed to be able to follow it fine though I don't know who the two main characters are, I'm guessing they're from something else? Anyway I enjoyed it. Marco seems to have been born to draw giant space battles. That art was gorgeous.

All the recent Marvel Star Wars comics are from the new continuity, in most cases there isn't "something else" unless that thing is Rebels or Clone Wars, or episode 7. You could read any of them from the beginning and be fine, even the one based on Rebels is a prequel to the show so it works all the same.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

twistedmentat posted:

I know in the real world, if you were to blow up lifeboats of a sinking battleship, it would be considered a war crime, its on the level of purposefully shooting medics. Though I mean, yea, the Empire would not give such consideration.

Yea, it's going to be weird to see that Luke didn't marry Mara, and there was no Jacen or Jaina solo, no Thrawn or Pellereon, no Fells, no Corran Horn or Tallon Card. I mean, it also means no Fett-Sempai Mandalorian stuff. I actually prefer the Clone Wars take on them.

Yeah, it's gonna be weird without these characters. I'm cool with them changing events, but I can't lie, I'm a little sad to see those people go.

Also my theory about the new movie is that it's going to basically have Jacen and Jaina with the names changed but I have no confirmation of that, just a hunch. I'm willing to bet that Rey and Kylo Ren are either Luke or Leia's kids.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think of the new continuity as Ultimate Star Wars, essentially. The specifics are different, but most of the broad strokes aren't. The EU has pretty much remained the same apart from the stuff that conflicts directly with the new movies, in part since Dave Filoni likes to put tons of references into CW/Rebels. Thrawn is such a fan favourite that I bet they will do something with him in a comic or a novel somewhere down the line.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

twistedmentat posted:

I know in the real world, if you were to blow up lifeboats of a sinking battleship, it would be considered a war crime, its on the level of purposefully shooting medics. Though I mean, yea, the Empire would not give such consideration.

The Lambda class Shuttle has weapons, lifeboats do not, it also have a hyperdrive and can flee the system to fight another day. Now if the Rebels were going around popping lifepods (unarmed, no ability to flee the system) I would cry foul, but enemy personnel transports are valid targets. This is no different than intercepting and shooting down transport planes evacuating military personnel from an enemy military base before its taken over/destroyed, or launching airstrikes on enemy troop trucks or APCs. Its ugly, but it is war.

And, again, Space Hitler might've been on one of those transports, for all they knew.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I thought Shattered Empire was very much a first issue. All set up and introductions. As the first part of an arc that is itself ultimately a lead-in to a movie trilogy, it was about what I expected.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

zoux posted:

So dainty.

Shattered Empire was really cool, how many issues is it slated for?

Four issues. The rest are scheduled to release weekly in October.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The Lambda class Shuttle has weapons, lifeboats do not, it also have a hyperdrive and can flee the system to fight another day. Now if the Rebels were going around popping lifepods (unarmed, no ability to flee the system) I would cry foul, but enemy personnel transports are valid targets. This is no different than intercepting and shooting down transport planes evacuating military personnel from an enemy military base before its taken over/destroyed, or launching airstrikes on enemy troop trucks or APCs. Its ugly, but it is war.

And, again, Space Hitler might've been on one of those transports, for all they knew.

See the Iraqi Highway of death from the first gulf war.

I did like how Luke is that good of a pilot that he can out maneuver an A-wing in a shuttle.

As for whats canon and whats not this is how I read it when they first talked about it.

Everything post Jedi is out, so nothing in the books, comics, video games whatever that happened is no longer main canon. Its more like The Ultimate Universe/Elseworlds. The new movies starting with Force Awakens is the new post Jedi canon.

The same with the stuff in between and at the same time as the 6 old ones unless they're a self contained side story that doesn't conflict with the new canon, they're out. So something like Choices of One is out because its about Mara Jade who no longer exists in the new Canon (as far as we now. We could have Luke be widowed and he married Mara).

As for stuff that is pre prequels or even old republic stuff, that is in, because for the most part it just leads into the prequels like say a book about young Palpatine. The old republic stuff is so far in the past that it has nothing to do with Star Wars current timeline, so it can stay. Some stuff from that were in Lucas's notes, like Darth Bane and the rule of two. Or the existence of the Sith as an actual race and its merging with Dark Jedi to create the Sith Empire and later Sith Order. Remember not all Dark Jedi are Sith, but all Sith are Dark Jedi. Hell, even the idea that the technology for Hyperdrive was created by the Raknai or whatever they are called form KOTOR games and when Human and Duros slaves revolted they got their hands on it.

I really love the Star Wars universe, its so interesting, and because its so big, and so old there's lots of neat stuff to explore and you can have it, and never see it in the movies.

So if you're wondering whats canon that's directly in this storyline, Clone Wars, Prequels, Rebels, Classic Trilogy and whatever we call the Force Awakens era. I'm going to assume the current crop of Marvel comics are also canon too? I haven't read anything besides Shattered Empire so I don't know exactly how the other books are lining up.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

So if you're wondering whats canon that's directly in this storyline, Clone Wars, Prequels, Rebels, Classic Trilogy and whatever we call the Force Awakens era. I'm going to assume the current crop of Marvel comics are also canon too? I haven't read anything besides Shattered Empire so I don't know exactly how the other books are lining up.

Basically, everything published from here on out is meant to be canon. We'll see how it pans out - this sort of project can be tough to hold together even with the best intentions. Hopefully once the movies start coming out and they have a clearer idea of where they're going to go, things will move more smoothly.

This was a problem Marvel had last time they published the comics - they were coming out between the movies and had to do a lot of guessing, which led to stuff like, for example, the flashback story where Obi-Wan is on a mission during the Clone Wars, accompanied by his two students, Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wheat Loaf posted:

This was a problem Marvel had last time they published the comics - they were coming out between the movies and had to do a lot of guessing, which led to stuff like, for example, the flashback story where Obi-Wan is on a mission during the Clone Wars, accompanied by his two students, Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader.

It's not like Lucas had that twist planned ahead of time. For all we know they ran that by some of the movie people and they gave a thumbs up.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Probably.

Same as with Leia being Luke's sister. I rewatched the movies recently and I was struck by how much he seemed to be aiming for a genuine love triangle between Luke, Leia and Han in the first two.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Probably.

Same as with Leia being Luke's sister. I rewatched the movies recently and I was struck by how much he seemed to be aiming for a genuine love triangle between Luke, Leia and Han in the first two.

The "she's your sister" thing seemed like a really lame-rear end attempt to resolve that triangle in a movie that had no time for a real resolution to it. It's always felt like one of the weakest parts of Jedi to me. It doesn't really add anything, either. There'd be just as much gravity if Vader was threatening Luke's good friend/love interest instead of his sister.

Although it did give us this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ccosUUPPvk

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Haha, yeah I've seen that. I tried to convince my brother it was from the most recent special edition and he sort of believed me until I overplayed my hand telling him the Blu-Ray version of ANH altered the scene where Obi-Wan says, "A young Jedi Knight named Darth Vader ... betrayed and murdered your father," so Obi-Wan turns to the audience and winks after he says that line.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

From an unlettered preview of SE #2.

Gotta say, some of the space battle art in the new SW books has been insanely good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm liking the use of an AT-AT in an urban combat scenario. :allears:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm liking the use of an AT-AT in an urban combat scenario. :allears:
There was some of this during Dark Empire, too. Good stuff.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

redbackground posted:

Please don't call Dark Empire "good stuff".

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Please don't call Dark Empire "good stuff".
Pass.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

redbackground posted:

Oh, yeah, Luke knocks it over with the Force. I guess that was pretty cool.

Though I'm of two minds about Dark Empire. Story was bad, but I actually didn't dislike the art.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

zoux posted:

Gotta say, some of the space battle art in the new SW books has been insanely good.

That's really cool, but something about some of the background ships and buildings reminds me of this:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

zoux posted:

That is pretty amazing.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Basically, everything published from here on out is meant to be canon. We'll see how it pans out - this sort of project can be tough to hold together even with the best intentions. Hopefully once the movies start coming out and they have a clearer idea of where they're going to go, things will move more smoothly.

Yea, I remember those as a kid and being confused as hell. I think Disney probably has someone in charge making sure things don't conflict with the films. And people who write for Marvel would be used to dealing with that kind of situation. You can't have during an event the X-men doing something that would conflict with what was happening in Thor.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of classic Marvel Star Wars, the new series will need to up its game to have a cover better than this one:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Speaking of classic Marvel Star Wars, the new series will need to up its game to have a cover better than this one:

The price is in cents but they spell it lightsabre?

Interview with Noto about the upcoming Chewbacca mini.

It's five issues, takes place between IV and V and is described as a "Star Wars western".

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 10, 2015

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wheat Loaf posted:

I like how Luke in the corner looks like Conan in a karate gi.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

That is pretty amazing.

Yea, I remember those as a kid and being confused as hell. I think Disney probably has someone in charge making sure things don't conflict with the films. And people who write for Marvel would be used to dealing with that kind of situation. You can't have during an event the X-men doing something that would conflict with what was happening in Thor.

Lucasfilm had a person whose job was just that. I'd be very surprised if they fired him after the acquisition.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Lucasfilm had a person whose job was just that. I'd be very surprised if they fired him after the acquisition.

That guy's job must have been a living hell once the prequels started coming out.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I finally have proof that Star Wars is a space fantasy and not science fiction!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

I finally have proof that Star Wars is a space fantasy and not science fiction!

What misbegotten creatures have you been arguing with?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Wheat Loaf posted:

The new series needs to step up its game to compete with the issue where all the Looney Tunes gang up on Jaxxon the space rabbit.

I did not make a word of that up.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Lurdiak posted:

What misbegotten creatures have you been arguing with?

Clearly you are new to this place called the internet.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

zoux posted:

I'm kind of disappointed that this is only 4 issues. What I've seen so far make me think that would be a good ongoing series.

Endless Mike posted:

His name is Leland Chee and he is still working with Lucasfilm.

"After The Walt Disney Company's acquisition of Lucasfilm, Chee was assigned a job within the newly formed Lucasfilm Story Group, whose main purpose is to eliminate the Star Wars franchise's current canon hierarchy and create one cohesive canon"

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

zoux posted:

Interview with Noto about the upcoming Chewbacca mini.

It's five issues, takes place between IV and V and is described as a "Star Wars western".

Guess who's also getting his own mini?

:allears:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Aw, it's just Goldenrod.

I was hoping they'd announced THRAWN #1

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I told my comic guy to just sign me up for anything Star Wars. I'm fuckin loving this poo poo

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

zoux posted:

I don't think that AT-AT will be able to clear that building frame.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I don't think the AT-AT cares. :killdozer:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I don't think the AT-AT cares. :killdozer:

Heavy Blasters CAN melt steel beams.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Lando's "horrifying tales of Romantic Conquest" continue this week. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Lando's "horrifying tales of Romantic Conquest" continue this week. :psyduck:

There's nothing more powerful in Star Wars than Lando's smooth talk!

Also: Chewie, coming to save the day.