Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Right, the correct inference to draw is that it should be "alright to hit a woman," and not "maybe we shouldn't be hitting other people at all."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
It's weird when people make those arguments as if Manning doesn't have a ring. He's won as many times as Favre and Young, and more than Marino, Fouts and Tarkenton. It goes past the argument that people had against Bonds and extending it to Mays and Aaron too.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

quote:

Another FCS-to-FBS team??I don’t get it. Do any of these little FCS schools think they’re going to amount to anything when they move up? Do they really think that they’re going to become relevant on the national scene? At least in the FCS you had a reasonable shot at winning a championship of some kind, whether conference or national. In the FBS, all that’s going to happen is that you’re going to become a more attractive target for teams looking for a rent-a-win; since you’re technically not in the FCS, dropping 60 on you doesn’t look quite as egregious, strength of schedule-wise.

The ONLY FCS team right now that deserves to move up is NDSU, although I think they’re pretty happy with the little niche they’ve carved out as the undisputed king of the FCS, while delivering shocking upsets to middling FBS teams along the way.

Current Junior at Louisiana State University.

GEAUX TIGERS!

by Jedibob5 on Aug 31, 2015 | 9:03 PM reply
Learn your place, small schools. Don't ever do anything to grow or challenge yourselves or increase your profile, because college sports is a zero-sum game. :smugdog:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Somebody who didn't watch Georgia Southern last year.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Hazo posted:

Learn your place, small schools. Don't ever do anything to grow or challenge yourselves or increase your profile, because college sports is a zero-sum game. :smugdog:
I said this outloud probably 95 times to my friends when Appalachian State moved up (I am an alumni)

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
i unironically wish my undergrad gets rid of its football team because nobody watches the games and it's a huge money leech

also they're loving terrible

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Hazo posted:

Its not wrong though. The powerful schools are just going to get more and more powerful while costs climb higher and higher. You can make a pretty good case that half of FBS teams shouldn't be FBS teams.

Look at Idaho. They moved up in 1997. Since then, they've had three winning seasons. The best was a 9-3 season in 1998. They've also had eight seasons that they lost ten or more games. They've only won five games in the last four seasons. Idaho will never be competitive. Conversely, from 1986 to 1996, Idaho had 11 winning seasons, never finished worse than 6-5, had seven seasons with nine or more wins, and had two 11 win seasons. Was Idaho better off in IAA/FCS?

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

TubeStank posted:

i unironically wish my undergrad gets rid of its football team because nobody watches the games and it's a huge money leech

also they're loving terrible

Also when your school disbands its football team you get to wear badass shirts like this http://longbeachstate.cbscollegestore.com/store_contents.cfm?store_id=375&product_id=120151

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

College football became totally illegitimate when minimum attendance became a factor in maintaining a program's I-A eligibility.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Sash! posted:

Its not wrong though. The powerful schools are just going to get more and more powerful while costs climb higher and higher. You can make a pretty good case that half of FBS teams shouldn't be FBS teams.

Look at Idaho. They moved up in 1997. Since then, they've had three winning seasons. The best was a 9-3 season in 1998. They've also had eight seasons that they lost ten or more games. They've only won five games in the last four seasons. Idaho will never be competitive. Conversely, from 1986 to 1996, Idaho had 11 winning seasons, never finished worse than 6-5, had seven seasons with nine or more wins, and had two 11 win seasons. Was Idaho better off in IAA/FCS?

Yeah, but is there a worse location to come up than Idaho? FAU went from non-existent to winning a bowl game in like 5 years because they were in South Florida and could build a competitive team around Florida's big 3 castoffs and rejects. Similar story with USF and UCF. Georgia Southern tells us a similar story. So yeah, Bumblefuck State won't be competitive simply because they have little to no native talent and because they can't draw a person in. Even Appalachian State has a history to fall back on. Idaho had...the Kibbie Dome.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

swickles posted:

Yeah, but is there a worse location to come up than Idaho? FAU went from non-existent to winning a bowl game in like 5 years because they were in South Florida and could build a competitive team around Florida's big 3 castoffs and rejects. Similar story with USF and UCF. Georgia Southern tells us a similar story. So yeah, Bumblefuck State won't be competitive simply because they have little to no native talent and because they can't draw a person in. Even Appalachian State has a history to fall back on. Idaho had...the Kibbie Dome.

Huh, I was gonna point at Boise as an example of a nowhere team doing well but they were actually pretty successful historically (if only in Division II/FCS stuff).

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

swickles posted:

But for the handful of Florida schools that can scoop up the leftovers like that, there's two schools somewhere else in the country that are...not in good shape.

Idaho was an easy one because I knew they'd actually been successful in IAA before moving. Washington State doesn't have much better history, which make sense because they're equally remote. What about Kent State? An hour south of Cleveland in one of the strongest football regions around. They've got the 126th best winning percentage in FBS. Exactly one good season ever. In their entire history, they've only been ranked in the AP top 25 for five total weeks (one week in 1973, four in 2012) and peaked at #18.

What realistic chance will Kent State, UTEP, New Mexico State, Buffalo, Idaho, UL-Monroe, Temple, UNLV, Eastern Michigan, New Mexico, Charlotte, Memphis, Colorado St, Wyoming, Arkansas St, and the rest of that group of teams really have? Its only going to get worse in the future for the smaller programs. Conferences are going to move to more conference games, they're going to start requiring more games against the other P5 conferences, and their autonomy is going to attract more of the guys that slipped through the hands of the Florida, California, and Texas schools. The scheduling will eventually force them out and hamstring their budgets. If Michigan is paying players, do you think a guy that wanted to stay close to home but couldn't go to Miami is going to go to FAU to not get paid when Michigan is throwing money around?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Sash! posted:

Charlotte

hah hey when is charlotte going to be FBS again? they charged me out the rear end for a football team that didnt play a game til 3 years after i left and holy poo poo they're gonna be an embarrassment to that school.

e: oh noooo it's this year? hoo boy. 3 years from nothing to division one, sorry guys.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

shiksa posted:

hah hey when is charlotte going to be FBS again? they charged me out the rear end for a football team that didnt play a game til 3 years after i left and holy poo poo they're gonna be an embarrassment to that school.

They're FBS starting this year.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Sash! posted:

But for the handful of Florida schools that can scoop up the leftovers like that, there's two schools somewhere else in the country that are...not in good shape.

Idaho was an easy one because I knew they'd actually been successful in IAA before moving. Washington State doesn't have much better history, which make sense because they're equally remote. What about Kent State? An hour south of Cleveland in one of the strongest football regions around. They've got the 126th best winning percentage in FBS. Exactly one good season ever. In their entire history, they've only been ranked in the AP top 25 for five total weeks (one week in 1973, four in 2012) and peaked at #18.

What realistic chance will Kent State, UTEP, New Mexico State, Buffalo, Idaho, UL-Monroe, Temple, UNLV, Eastern Michigan, New Mexico, Charlotte, Memphis, Colorado St, Wyoming, Arkansas St, and the rest of that group of teams really have? Its only going to get worse in the future for the smaller programs. Conferences are going to move to more conference games, they're going to start requiring more games against the other P5 conferences, and their autonomy is going to attract more of the guys that slipped through the hands of the Florida, California, and Texas schools. The scheduling will eventually force them out and hamstring their budgets. If Michigan is paying players, do you think a guy that wanted to stay close to home but couldn't go to Miami is going to go to FAU to not get paid when Michigan is throwing money around?

This is a pretty ridiculous slippery slope argument. Winning the national championship is really only the goal of maybe 20 programs in the country, the main goal is to win the conference, then a bowl game.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Forget it swickles, it's Sash

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
All I know is App State won their first championship my Sr. year, then ripped off two more right after. I can guarantee I was 10 times more hype to go to that national championship game than I would have been to backdoor an invite to the Raycom Media Camellia Bowl at 7-5.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

computer parts posted:

Huh, I was gonna point at Boise as an example of a nowhere team doing well but they were actually pretty successful historically (if only in Division II/FCS stuff).

Boise, while not exactly a cosmopolitan hotspot, is also a much easier sell to recruits than Moscow, Idaho. Why on earth is the state university in Moscow?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Ribsauce posted:

All I know is App State won their first championship my Sr. year, then ripped off two more right after. I can guarantee I was 10 times more hype to go to that national championship game than I would have been to backdoor an invite to the Raycom Media Camellia Bowl at 7-5.

Honestly this is most of my reasoning for never wanting Montana to move up. We're a big fish in a medium pond, and are about a 50/50 shot to make the playoffs each year, it's a good thing we have going on, why gently caress that up?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

swickles posted:

This is a pretty ridiculous slippery slope argument. Winning the national championship is really only the goal of maybe 20 programs in the country, the main goal is to win the conference, then a bowl game.

I never said anything about national championships. I'm talking about winning games period. Temple, for instance, has lost 57 percent of all the games it's ever played, won one conference championship ever (1967),and has been to four bowls (1934, 1979, 2009, 2011). They got kicked out of the Big East! They went 14-80 in conference during that time.

Is it that insane to suggest that teams like Temple could possibly benefit from shifting from the bottom third of FBS to possibly being the top third of FCS?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Boise, while not exactly a cosmopolitan hotspot, is also a much easier sell to recruits than Moscow, Idaho. Why on earth is the state university in Moscow?

Well, it's a land grant school so that's not too surprising (the surprising part is that it was the only university for like 60 years in the state).

Supposedly it was a compromise so the panhandle folks wouldn't secede from the rest of the state.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
People actually live in the Idaho panhandle?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Benne posted:

The whole deal about secession sounds silly, but consider this, would you really want modern-day Idaho to have FOUR senators?

Yeah, I didn't think so. :colbert:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Benne posted:

Yes and they're literally Nazis.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

swickles posted:

Exactly, that's why I thought the guy I quoted picked an odd team to cry about with Coastal joining the SBC. Not only do they have a rapidly growing and well funded campus and athletic program and have a campus in an extremely desirable location, but they can snipe people who didn't make it into USC or Clemson, or poo poo maybe even some SEC schools. I don't expect a championship run anytime soon but it's not like they're Bumblefuck State with no winning potential or attractiveness.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

a god damn idiot
Sep 7, 2006

Sash! posted:

I never said anything about national championships. I'm talking about winning games period. Temple, for instance, has lost 57 percent of all the games it's ever played, won one conference championship ever (1967),and has been to four bowls (1934, 1979, 2009, 2011). They got kicked out of the Big East! They went 14-80 in conference during that time.

Is it that insane to suggest that teams like Temple could possibly benefit from shifting from the bottom third of FBS to possibly being the top third of FCS?

This post got a lot funnier

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

As always, the most popular QB for some Internet Georgia Fans is the guy who never plays:

quote:

After a spring and summer full of speculation, rumors, and question marks concerning who would be Georgia’s starting Quarterback for the 2015 season, we finally received an answer roughly a week ago. That answer was Greyson Lambert. Lambert looked pretty good against a completely outmatched UL Monroe team on Saturday between the hedges, and most people believe that performance has solidified him as the starter moving forward. Not so fast my friends. From all accounts it appears as if Lambert barely won this thing, and one bad game could/should completely open things back up for Ramsey and Bauta. That being said, I’d like to state my case for why Faton Bauta should/could be UGA’s starting quarterback this season or at least get some 3rd down work.

I’ll begin by addressing the current starter Greyson Lambert. Yes, Lambert has all the tools that you look for in an NFL quarterback. He’s 6’5’’, he’s got a huge arm, and he’s apparently extremely smart (graduated from UVA in 3 years) and has an elite football IQ. Well, you can’t always judge a book by its cover. To begin, there’s a reason why Lambert transferred from UVA. He wasn’t even going to be the starter on a bottom-tier ACC team that has won a combined 11 games over the past 3 seasons. Now, all those Lambert band wagoner’s will argue that this is because he didn’t have any talent around him and he wasn’t receiving great coaching. These are both valid points, but there is no way you can convince me that UVA’s former back-up quarterback should start at an SEC powerhouse like Georgia or will succeed in the SEC. On paper Lambert looks great, but from what I’ve seen on the field when he played at UVA and from the game Saturday, I am worried…..very worried. Lambert doesn’t move well in the pocket at all and has been compared to a statue by multiple reporters at UVA. Overall, I believe Lambert won this battle based off his potential and ability to throw that deep ball that Richt and Schotty for some reason seem to be enamored with. But, in my opinion Lambert is not the answer or the best option for this Georgia offense.

On the depth chart Ramsey and Bauta are listed as Co-backups, but according to all reports and evidenced by playing time distribution in the game Saturday, Brice Ramsey appears to be number 2. Ramsey, the highest rated recruit of all the QB’s (A former Elite 11 QB), was the heavy favorite to become the starter after being the back-up all last season and having 2 years of experience in Mark Richt’s system. Well, if there’s one thing you should know about sports, it’s that things don’t always work out like they are supposed to (aka the Georgia-Florida game last year). It appears as if Ramsey had every chance to win this battle, but didn’t. He has all the tools as well, including a 6 foot 3 inch frame and a cannon for an arm. There’s one major problem though. From what I hear and saw in that Belk bowl, Mr. Ramsey is a gunslinger. Basically, he has a little too much confidence in his arm causing him to not make the best decisions; therefore being turnover prone. Because of Mr. Ramsey’s turnover problem, I’d actually rank him as UGA’s 3rd best option at QB.

Finally, the third string QB and ultimate loser of the QB competition this offseason appears to be Faton Bauta. Most people expected this outcome for him too. He was the least heavily recruited of the 3 (only a 3 star recruit out of Florida) and possessed the least amount of experience. That being said, I think Faton should be Georgia’s starting Quarterback and here’s why.

To begin, According to Mark Richt, ‘Bauta is one of the hardest workers he has ever been around’ and is the film rat of film rats (We are talking Peyton Manning/Aaron Murray level). Richt also stated that he apparently made the fewest mistakes of all the Quarterbacks in summer camp. Faton also possesses something neither Ramsey nor Lambert has. He has running ability and can make plays outside the pocket if the play breaks down. When he was a recruit ESPN even wrote an article comparing him to Tim Tebow. Granted that might be a stretch, but he definitely possesses a similar body type/frame and work ethic as the former Gator. So, Bauta is a hard worker, he made the fewest mistakes of all the quarterbacks, and he has dual-threat capabilities. That sounds like the perfect starting quarterback to me.

So why is he not starting or even receiving serious consideration? There are three reasons. First, He doesn’t look the part. Richt and Schottenheimer love quarterbacks that have NFL molds meaning they are 6’3’ or above in height and have big strong arms. Bauta has neither. He is 6’2’ and has the weakest arm of the three. 2nd, because of his weaker arm, Bauta probably throws the worst deep ball of the three as well. 3rd, and this is purely speculation, but for some reason I think that Richt has something against dual-threat quarterbacks. It sounds ridiculous I know, but think about it. Georgia has only ever had one "dual-threat’ QB in the 15 seasons Richt has been head coach, and that was D.J. Shockley, who was a 5th year senior and was fully encouraged to stay in the pocket as much as possible. Every other dual-threat guy that UGA has ever recruited has never really received consideration and as a result transferred (Logan Gray, Christian Lemay, and most recently Jacob Park to name a few). Heck, Richt hates dual-threat QB’s so much that he offered Cam Newton a scholarship as a Tight End. In the words of Chris Carter, "Comon Man!"

Because of his work ethic, lack of mistakes, and running ability, Faton Bauta should be Georgia’s starting Quarterback or at least should be in some 3rd and short packages. With Nick Chubb, Sonny Michel, and Keith Marshall in that backfield all Georgia needs is a game manager. We need someone that won’t turn the ball over and has the smarts to check into the right plays and read the defense. Screw the deep ball! As I mentioned earlier, Bauta is very comparable to Tim Tebow. It’s a stretch. I’ll admit to that. But is it possible Bauta could provide the same magic for this UGA team that Tebow was able to provide for Florida years ago? I think so.

At the very least Georgia should give Bauta a similar role as Florida gave Tim Tebow his freshman year, when they won the national championship. In any 3rd and short situation Florida would bring in Tebow, and plow him ahead for a couple yards and the first down. They called it "Third and Tebow." I don’t know about you, but "Third and Bauta" sounds pretty good to me!

REASONS WHY FATON BAUTA SHOULD BE GEORGIA'S STARING QB:
1) He tries hard.
2) Richt was mean to Logan Gray.
3) Tebow!

Every year with this stuff.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

D.N. Nation posted:

As always, the most popular QB for some Internet Georgia Fans is the guy who never plays:

REASONS WHY FATON BAUTA SHOULD BE GEORGIA'S STARING QB:
1) He tries hard.
2) Richt was mean to Logan Gray.
3) Tebow!

Every year with this stuff.

4) Has a neat name

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
At least in this sub, and most informed NFL fans agree that what the NFL is doing to the Patriots is nothing short of a witch hunt.
At what point, does the Gov't get involved?
You might ask, why would the Gov't get involved? Well because there is a relatively strong gambling market for the NFL. This market operates on the assumption that the league is on the up-and-up.
Clearly, the playing field is being tampered with by the NFL artificially. They have attempted to suspend a player, have docked multiple draft picks, have committed borderline libel, and continue to thrust the notion that the Patriots are cheaters without an ounce of evidence.
This is starting to look similar to the black sox scandal, in the sense that the establishment that you are trusting to oversee the game and maintain its integrity is severely hampered.
When does te NFLs actions w.r.t labor laws, libel, and artificial adjustment of the competitive environment raise enough questions for a govt inquiry?
The nail in the coffin would be concrete evidence that the NFL front office is actively trying to modify the competitive balance of the league outside of league rules. Ie: the front office is full of ex Jets employees and they hate the Pats.
A realization such as that, would in my opinion lead to nothing less than a complete dismantling of the NFL similar to the way that the MLB was effected.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

NC-17 posted:

At least in this sub, and most informed NFL fans agree that what the NFL is doing to the Patriots is nothing short of a witch hunt.
At what point, does the Gov't get involved?
You might ask, why would the Gov't get involved? Well because there is a relatively strong gambling market for the NFL. This market operates on the assumption that the league is on the up-and-up.
Clearly, the playing field is being tampered with by the NFL artificially. They have attempted to suspend a player, have docked multiple draft picks, have committed borderline libel, and continue to thrust the notion that the Patriots are cheaters without an ounce of evidence.
This is starting to look similar to the black sox scandal, in the sense that the establishment that you are trusting to oversee the game and maintain its integrity is severely hampered.
When does te NFLs actions w.r.t labor laws, libel, and artificial adjustment of the competitive environment raise enough questions for a govt inquiry?
The nail in the coffin would be concrete evidence that the NFL front office is actively trying to modify the competitive balance of the league outside of league rules. Ie: the front office is full of ex Jets employees and they hate the Pats.
A realization such as that, would in my opinion lead to nothing less than a complete dismantling of the NFL similar to the way that the MLB was effected.

quoting yourself lol

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Dude that's nothing I once saw the guy who posted that claim Slater and McCourtney could be hall of famers.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Isn't a :flag: a an artificial adjustment of the competitive environment?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Dude that's nothing I once saw the guy who posted that claim Slater and McCourtney could be hall of famers.

lmao i didn't know matthew slater had a dad in the hall of fame until that series of posts.

wanna know why? it's because no one ever talks about matthew slater or special teams gunners ever. surefire hall of famer.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
that was a private post

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The almighty does not want the Packers to be good because of Aaron Rodgers, but uh, the coaches share equal blame, I suppose. Look at the time. See ya.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
As per usual a woman is responsible for the fall of man and incurring God's wrath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Wilson and Tebow don't get any pussy and they still suck. Explain that, Christailures.

• Locked thread