Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Manifest posted:

YESSSSSSSSSSS

Thanks. I'm gonna clean the list up and mail it over to him. You guys were super helpful.

The Night of the Hunter
Prometheus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
One more: Cool Hand Luke

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Jacob's Ladder

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Chappie could be good for that class. Lots of Cain/Abel subtext, along with the resurrection/etc stuff.

Snak posted:

I feel like you can't talk about voice-overs in film and not mention "Stranger Than Fiction".

Or Shawshank Redemption. They actually recorded the VO first and staged quiet parts of scenes for the VO.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Sep 9, 2015

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

lizardman posted:

Jesus, are you guys who were so offended and appalled by the immorality of Mrs. Doubtfire and Forrest Gump also those people who are disgusted by Ferris Bueller's Day Off's celebration of an obvious manipulative sociopath?

I'm hoping you're all just taking playful potshots at movies that are too saccharine for your tastes because otherwise I'm not sure how you all are able to walk with such huge sticks shoved so far up your asses.

Oh, I love the hell out of Ferris Bueller. As far as I'm concerned, the problem, or lack thereof, as the case may be, is mostly in the presentation.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

effectual posted:

Chappie could be good for that class. Lots of Cain/Abel subtext, along with the resurrection/etc stuff.

I feel bad now because I still haven't seen Chappie.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Chappie is notable because Chappie is alongside two other criminals, like Jesus kinda-sorta-not-really was.

Elysium is a much better metaphorical comparison and lots of biblical imagery without being a straight-up adaption. Even inexperienced students should be able to see the crucifixion imagery, for example.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Winnie the Pooh sounds like an adaptation of Isaiah 11:6, too.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Please don't watch Fireproof, even ironically.

We can find some religious symbolism in The Room for you if you want to suffer.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

cheerfullydrab posted:

Oh dear God no. I think that Forrest Gump is one of those movies that's so ingrained in the culture that it's hard for us to think about it critically, and the point of asking people about the genderswapped hypothetical is not to get into that shitswamp but to kind of take people out of their usual feelings and ideas about that movie. Like I said, most people I've asked think a normal Forrest and a handicapped Jenny makes their skin crawl. I don't think that's due to any "double standard!!!" but due to the fact that it is actually creepy as it is.

I don't know the specifics about this kind of thing, but Forrest isn't a literal retard, to me he seems intelligent enough (perhaps conveniently so for the romance's sake) to be able to consent to a relationship.

Also, and I admit this might be getting into Whoopi Goldberg "rape-rape" territory, but I feel like Forrest is hardly seduced by Jenny - it's obvious to everyone he's REALLY into her, and eventually Jenny just gives him the green light. Honestly even swapping the genders I don't have an immediate negative reaction to the relationship (well, except I think Forrest deserves better than someone who continually abandons him, but you don't have to be intellectually handicapped to hold a torch for someone who may not be good for you).

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
yeah I'm not qualified to talk about this or open this can of worms, but it's not fair to deny someone sexual contact with other humans because they are "not a smart man."

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Cum, Forest, CUM!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

cheerfullydrab posted:

I've asked a few people that question outside of the forums and this seems to be the usual response.

I mean it's pretty universally recognized that you shouldn't have a sexual relationship with someone who has a mental handicap.

Well, technically speaking I have a mental handicap (Asperger's/ASD.) Obviously Forrest is a bit more severe but I've never looked into the laws around this.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
He could consent to join the army, so I don't see how he couldn't consent to sex.

At least legally.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Manifest posted:

He could consent to join the army, so I don't see how he couldn't consent to sex.

At least legally.

Hell, sometimes they're the same thing!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Manifest posted:

At least legally.

Didn't he get drafted?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

Didn't he get drafted?

Yes and I think that further reinforces the legality of his consent.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Snak posted:

Yes and I think that further reinforces the legality of his consent.

He didn't get drafted, a recruiter handed him a flyer after he graduated college and asked him if he had given any though to his future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3Z2m_oqEyU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Armyman25 posted:

He didn't get drafted, a recruiter handed him a flyer after he graduated college and asked him if he had given any though to his future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3Z2m_oqEyU

You're right, my bad. My brain just skipped straight to him finding his calling playing pingpong in the army.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I always saw Forrest Gump as a parody of the American dream. I mean the idea is that if you work hard enough you can achieve anything but the film is about a literal man-child that randomly stumbles into fame and success without even trying who also happens to be the descendant of the founder of the KKK.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just though the movie was saying that the quintessential American is retarded.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

I just though the movie was saying that the quintessential American is retarded.

And people from abusive families get to die of aids since they chose to do all those hippie drugs and sex stuff with radicals and whatnot.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Manifest posted:

Shawshank Redemption
The Matrix (Even though 2 and 3 have more overt Christian themes the first one does that neat mix of eastern meets western philosophy. Also it doesn't suck.)
The Lion King
The Seventh Seal
Eraserhead
The Man Who Fell To Earth
Superman (Reeves plus both reboots really.)
Three Kings
The Truman Show

El Topo. It's about a gunslinger who goes around murdering magical gun-masters to achieve gun-enlightenment. Then he dies and is resurrected as Jesus-Buddha to disfigured cave people which live near a town that's been taken over by a cult that basically worships money and violence.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

syscall girl posted:

And people from abusive families get to die of aids since they chose to do all those hippie drugs and sex stuff with radicals and whatnot.

Jenny is pretty clearly a standin for Forrest's mom since they're both single mothers who have done socially unacceptable things in the past (granted, one of those was for the betterment of their child).

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The funniest part of Forrest Gump was the entire civil rights movement being represented by one scene of a black panther sexually harassing a white woman and being punched out by Forrest. Also Ronald Reagan's failed assassination attempt getting as much screentime as MLK's actual assassination.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Sleeveless posted:

The funniest part of Forrest Gump was the entire civil rights movement being represented by one scene of a black panther sexually harassing a white woman and being punched out by Forrest. Also Ronald Reagan's failed assassination attempt getting as much screentime as MLK's actual assassination.

yes because Forrest Gump is from the perspective of Forrest Gump, an ignorant southern white man.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Snak posted:

yes because Forrest Gump is from the perspective of Forrest Gump, an ignorant southern white man.

Also that wasn't everything about the Civil Rights Movement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eluXKOqxM28

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Sleeveless posted:

Actually Forrest punches out the white dude radical wannabe, whose only criticism of the entire system is literally "That lying son of a bitch Johnson...".

Dude needed to get punched. In my opinion.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Billy the Mountain posted:

Actually Forrest punches out the white dude radical wannabe, whose only criticism of the entire system is literally "That lying son of a bitch Johnson...".

Dude needed to get punched. In my opinion.

Obviously the situation was more complicated, but Johnson was the President when we escalated violence in Vietnam and he dropped out of the race for reelection at least partially because of his personal shame about the whole thing, so I understand where that guy was coming from.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Wow, Forrest Gump cops so much poo poo these days. This movie was BELOVED and everyone's favorite movie ever became either Forrest Gump or Shawshank. Now it just gets torn apart with criticism about every one of it's elements.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
It's part of my life, and part of me. I was born in 1985, the son of two people both born in the 50's. But it's a clear and disgusting statement of the way the Baby Boomers think of themselves and want to be remembered. It's using a drama to retell a story about a generation, a bullshit story. It's a con job with good acting.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Every generation in history and into the future, from every culture and people, will want their generation remembered fondly and will stretch the truth to do it. Boomers are nothing special.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I absolutely agree, but I don't have to like it. Again, it's a good movie, but the points it pushes are garbage.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Every generation in history and into the future, from every culture and people, will want their generation remembered fondly and will stretch the truth to do it. Boomers are nothing special.

The boomers are special because there's a poo poo ton of them and they didn't accomplish poo poo. I feel bad for them in a certain way. "We had great music" "Your parents killed Nazis"; "Sexual Revolution" "thanks for AIDS and a generation of broken homes"; "Protested the Vietnam War" "Re-elected Nixon, voted for Reagan twice." Of course they're self conscious about their legacy.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
yes baby boomers literally accomplished nothing and every one of them personally caused AIDs and voted for Nixon, especially the ones who were 5 when he was elected

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Schweinhund posted:

yes baby boomers literally accomplished nothing and every one of them personally caused AIDs and voted for Nixon, especially the ones who were 5 when he was elected

This. Seriously.

gently caress people who were 5 when Nixon was elected.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

LesterGroans posted:

This. Seriously.

gently caress people who were 5 when Nixon was elected.

I like my parents.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I fault them for believing they invented sex, drugs, music, and art, that they think they ended the Vietnam War, and, above everything, that they got Reagan elected in 1980. That never would have happened without the votes of Baby Boomers. Also for filling the heads of us, their children, with their bullshit. If you want to actually talk movies like this forum is supposed to be about I'd say Forrest Gump is the greatest Boomer movie, but Saving Private Ryan is a close second.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Schweinhund posted:

I said re-elected, and if you were 5 in '72 you aren't a baby boomer.
Edit:If you were 5 in 68 you weren't a boomer either, I just picked 72 because that was the first year 18 year olds could vote for president and Nixon won in a landslide. To be fair, Reagan is much more their fault than any other president, and was at least as terrible as Nixon.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

Well, technically speaking I have a mental handicap (Asperger's/ASD.) Obviously Forrest is a bit more severe but I've never looked into the laws around this.

At least in the US, it's considered a disability covered by the ADA. This has been settled in legal cases.

My generation's movie is apparently Slackers and/or Clerks. Or one of those teen movies from the '80s like Pretty in Pink but meh.