Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Junkenstein posted:

I was going to ask about archangel bonuses. So archangels are, at best, just 'recommended' configurations?

Also, I found my first (non quest) body in the wasteland and Max just said he can't use it but it's good for scrap. Is that because it happened to be the same body as the one I picked at the start, so any subsequent ones I find will be added to my collection?

Archangels are just preset loadouts. You won't be using them for the most part.

Yes, the other bodies that you didn't take previously can be found out in the wastes at certain salvage points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

If they wanted Archangels to be something anyone but completion it's cared about, they would have added bonus stats. As it is, there are some options that are complete upgrades instead of side grades and some options that should be ignored and the scrap should be saved.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

MinibarMatchman posted:

going up against MGSV didn't do it many favors but it's probably more telling that WB will likely go on to do Mordor 2 and Avalanche will likely be supporting Just Cause, so it'll be a while before anymore Mad Max stuff crops back up. That being said, with how god the movie was and how adequate the game is, it's a god start for more cool poo poo in the long run

I'm really hoping there will be another one since the engine is already complete(with some updates to improve fighting, more car combat stuff, etc) so the majority of technical work is already done. At least some more DLC like missions packs/new strongholds/factions/etc. Has any one heard any word on what future DLC's might be?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Completing Archangels should unlock awesome new decals. Complete the Heavenly Bones to get a radical flaming angel wings decal, complete the Jack for racing stripes, etc.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

King Vidiot posted:

The game's really fun but it does seem like Avalanche kind of glossed over the fact that George Miller's movies had heart and some kind of human core to latch onto, and that they weren't just a gruff badass barreling through the wastes killing guys who're in spiked bondage gear. Hell the first movie in the pre-apocalypse was basically just a slow-burn drama for the first 3/4 of the running time. Max doesn't even go mad until the final 20 minutes.

Glad I'm not the only one who felt this way. It's a fun game, but the story never really felt Mad Max to me, precisely because Mad Max was about, at least to me, bombastic action tied to memorable characters and just a pinch of dark humor. There wasn't a single moment of levity that wasn't from Chumbucket talking like a crazy person. But then maybe that's just me preferring Road Warrior over the first film and feeling let down that they didn't carry on that spirit. Ending was disappointing, story didn't hook me, Max never felt like Max, none of the characters had any sort of goals or motivation, so everything just felt bland. Again, maybe I'm wrong and everybody prefers the tone of this, but I suppose I ruined myself by hoping for Road Warrior vibes and never getting them.

But god drat does driving around post-game in the Interceptor with nothing but a shotgun feel right.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 10, 2015

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm completely with you to be honest. The setting is just that, a setting. It didn't need max to be in it at all (i would have preferred if they just made references to max throughout that game) and that's why in my head, i'm not actually max. I'm murderhobo of murdery murder.

Griffa really does seem like a tryhard as well, but maybe that's because I think the whole desert shaman thing is boring as hell.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

MinibarMatchman posted:

going up against MGSV didn't do it many favors but it's probably more telling that WB will likely go on to do Mordor 2 and Avalanche will likely be supporting Just Cause, so it'll be a while before anymore Mad Max stuff crops back up. That being said, with how god the movie was and how adequate the game is, it's a god start for more cool poo poo in the long run

The next movie is already being made so another game could be sooner than we think. I just hope the right criticism gets to Avalanche about this game to improve on it instead of just upping the graphics and adding more useless Archangels because there should be more Chumbucket like characters to the wastes.

Now that I think about it, maybe some of the flaws of this game were inevitable because they split the team to make Just Cause 3 as well. If another game could have the whole of Avalanche on it, there could be even more hope that its gets more focus put into the game.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 10, 2015

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Has any future DLC been promised for this game? Did it have a Season pass or anything? I'm hoping we get more, I'm loving it so far.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Anybody catch the kid tossing a human skull :stare: up in the air like it's a toy ball in Deep Friah's temple? I think it was one of the Digglings you rescue.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Fans posted:

Has any future DLC been promised for this game? Did it have a Season pass or anything? I'm hoping we get more, I'm loving it so far.

I don't think there's been any word. Which is odd, 'cos WB normally go mental for DLC, don't they?

RPS's review is up and they actually address the discrepancy between critics and users.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/09/10/mad-max-review/

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 10, 2015

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Junkenstein posted:

I don't think there's been any word, Which is odd, 'cos WB normally go mental for DLC, don't they?

RPS's review is up and they actually address the discrepancy between critics and users.

They don't address it apart from "yeah, this is a thing." Acknowledgement isn't addressing something, and John Walker in particular is a pompous blowhard.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I've been wanting to get the side burners for a while, but based on what I've seen in the last couple of pages it sounds like it might not be worth it.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Junkenstein posted:

I don't think there's been any word. Which is odd, 'cos WB normally go mental for DLC, don't they?

quote:

. You immediately meet a mutated creature of pure tedium, Chumbucket, who unfortunately accompanies you absolutely everywhere for the entire game.

I don't know if I can trust the opinion of anyone who hates Chumbucket. Praise be!

quote:

Oh, and the loving sandstorms. How this made it to the final game will never be satisfactorily explained. At entirely random points the game declares, “Get inside, a storm’s coming!” and you have to stop whatever you’re doing and find somewhere to shelter for literally ten goddamned minutes while it blows over. If you drive to a Stronghold, it magics away immediately, but that’s often not possible thanks to the destructive nature of the storms. It offers nothing to the game, other than to interrupt whatever you were presently doing with a pointless period of no fun. It’s bewilderingly stupid.

You're meant to drive around in them and collect insane amounts of scrap by harpooning flying debris! The game tells you this with a hint pop up the first time one turns up. The gently caress!

Fans fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 10, 2015

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The reviews this game is getting are pretty on point, honestly.

It's worth no more than the $20 I got it for and if I were to grade it on a scale of 1 to 100 it'd probably get a 60 or 70.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Reading the quotes from the review directly above your point really makes me think otherwise. Do reviewers not get fun or something? I have never gone "oh no, a storm, i'm going to have to stop fighting this base". I have however, gone "gently caress yes, a storm, time to punch people while the apocalypse is actively trying to kill me".

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Deakul posted:

The reviews this game is getting are pretty on point, honestly.

It's worth no more than the $20 I got it for and if I were to grade it on a scale of 1 to 100 it'd probably get a 60 or 70.

My biggest question remains why, if it's scored so (comparatively) low, Arkham Knight got a much higher score. Mad Max plays better in almost every way to Batman. The only parts of Mad Max I get aggravated at are minefields and the fade-to-blacks when eating/filling/whatever, but pretty much everything you had to do in the cartank in batman was the most insufferable bullshit in history.

Why don't reviewers agree with my subjective opinions, basically.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I really dig the storms, even though I have had absolutely zero luck in them. I never knew you were meant to chase down scrap in them until I saw you guys talking about it in this thread.

The first piece of scrap I managed to harpoon, I dragged over to the rusted carcass of a boat and pinned between the boat and my car. Car had been struck by lightening numerous times and was about dead, so I bailed to let Chum fix it, and hid in a safe place on the other side of the boat wreckage. When the storm ended, my car had been rotated about 90 degrees by the wind and the scrap was gone.

Next I read ITT someone say you can go out and shotgun the crate and grab the scrap immediately, rather than waiting the storm out. I've tried this twice but gotten struck by lightning both times I got out of the car to do it!

Another time I was madly chasing a box of scrap and drove straight off the side of a cliff due to zero visibility. Good times.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

dogstile posted:

Reading the quotes from the review directly above your point really makes me think otherwise. Do reviewers not get fun or something? I have never gone "oh no, a storm, i'm going to have to stop fighting this base". I have however, gone "gently caress yes, a storm, time to punch people while the apocalypse is actively trying to kill me".

for real though, if this game gave me respawning convoys, the ability to have chum take the wheel while I high-speed highjack another car, and the ability to summon a storm, I would probably never play anything else.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I am sure the community will give us a re-spawning convoys mod. Its only a matter of time

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Junkenstein posted:

I can't say I agree with this dude on some things. He is shocked that the sandstorms made it into the game because they're annoying and purposeless. But frankly (and maybe I am an outlier) I've played for about 30 hours and have probably encountered 7 or 8 sandstorms in that time. They aren't that common and when they do appear, they frequently do so in such a way that it adds another layer to whatever I am doing--assaulting a convoy, for example, becomes a completely different beast entirely when a storm rolls in in the middle of it. I have never found myself watching a wall of sand and lightning roll across the desert and thinking "oh great THIS poo poo again."

Then he complains about how the storms "magic away" when you retreat to a camp. Because the alternative for people who choose to hide in a camp during a storm--being forced to sit out the storm and do nothing--is such a superior alternative. It's there as a measure of convenience for people who don't want to go AFK for 5 minutes, like fast travel or whatever.

He also says that when he has to drive cars that aren't the Magnum Opus, it's an exercise in frustration...but I don't recall that even happening very often. Unlike GTA V, I don't recall having issues with missions constantly forcing me to use some random poo poo vehicle, and even the basic enemy cars are fun to drive (and, at least initially, have strengths that make them stand out from the Magnum in various ways). He seems to be making it sound like he was frequently behind the wheel of some non-Magnum car that couldn't drive in a straight line, which is really weird.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 10, 2015

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

QwertyAsher posted:

My biggest question remains why, if it's scored so (comparatively) low, Arkham Knight got a much higher score. Mad Max plays better in almost every way to Batman. The only parts of Mad Max I get aggravated at are minefields and the fade-to-blacks when eating/filling/whatever, but pretty much everything you had to do in the cartank in batman was the most insufferable bullshit in history.

Why don't reviewers agree with my subjective opinions, basically.

It makes no sense to me why Batman got such high scores. It is garbage. My 11 year old son even thinks it isn't a good game and he loving loves poo poo like that.

Storms - I love the storms and love hunting down the scrap and trying to stay alive while getting it.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Fans posted:

I don't know if I can trust the opinion of anyone who hates Chumbucket. Praise be!

Chum's one of the best character's in the game, this reviewer's demonstrably a moron in many different ways

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Game is good but... shallow? Linear upgrades, the map is big but most of the locations are just "stop here, grab 2 craps (5% of an upgrade), maybe grab one collectible or a base upgrade part", even the combat is pretty samey after a while.

Shadow of Mordor 2 coming out soon? Nemesis system would've been perfect here

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Yeah it's pretty much "Open World: The Game" with how it plays, right down to the radio towers hot air balloons.

I'd have loved to have been able to put together my own little motor crew, though that doesn't suit Max as a character.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
The discrepancy between Batman and Mad Max when it comes to critical reviews says it all. Batman was praised, and then taken off the market because it was that broken.

You can't make this stuff up, that's what actually happened. Basically video game critics that aren't some unpopular chump on youtube aren't real critiques.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Junkenstein posted:

quote:

So it is that I find myself wanting to rail against the frustrations that just aren’t present in sleeker games. How the grappling hook should be the game’s best feature, but in fact it’s a miserable pain in the arse to aim, doesn’t seem to fire at what you were hoping for half the time, and seems to be entirely random in its range.

The gently caress is he even on about? The game goes into super slow motion to help you aim the drat thing and it paints big convenient white crosshairs on the stuff you can grapple, and then puts giant white outlines around them to let you know you've got a lock. The harpoon couldn't possibly get any easier to use unless they just made it auto lock, aim, and fire the instant you got within range. He also later bitches about the 'poon deciding to not aim at certain cars, and i'm not sure if he realizes you have to actually knock a car's armor off to be able to harpoon it in the first place.

The whole review is mindboggling in the sense that it feels like the dude just straight up didn't pay the slightest bit of attention or take time to figure out the mechanics of the game. A lot of the poo poo he's pissing and moaning about are either problems that don't actually exist, or bitching just to bitch like the sandstorms thing.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I had my first black sandstorm while as far away as possible from any strongholds shortly after I got out of my car to assault a stronghold, sprinting back to the car dodging lightning and debris was a great sequence for me! I don't get why people hate the sandstorms. Sure they dont add that much stuff to the game, but they really fill out the atmosphere well. The only things I dont really like are the minefields (though I did kite a scavenger over one I had uncovered, which was hilarious) and the boss fights just being the same guy but recolored. I would like to see scrotus try to retake some land (without resetting the threat level, as far as unlocking stuff goes, at least) and more convoys, but overall the game is fun and I enjoy playing it

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
oh man I want a black thumbs gangtag

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

T1g4h posted:

The gently caress is he even on about? The game goes into super slow motion to help you aim the drat thing and it paints big convenient white crosshairs on the stuff you can grapple, and then puts giant white outlines around them to let you know you've got a lock. The harpoon couldn't possibly get any easier to use unless they just made it auto lock, aim, and fire the instant you got within range. He also later bitches about the 'poon deciding to not aim at certain cars, and i'm not sure if he realizes you have to actually knock a car's armor off to be able to harpoon it in the first place.

I think this is only the case if you have a controller. He talks more about some dodgy KB+M shenanigans as well which paints it pretty clear the game was designed with a controller in mind.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

T1g4h posted:

The gently caress is he even on about?

I think he's on about the fact that you can be literally right next to a car, have a line of sight on the driver through a torn-off door or windshield, and still be unable to grapple him out. He's on about the fact that sometimes the distance needed to grapple something seems to be random. Sometimes that scarecrow will be highlighted, sometimes not and both times will be equidistant.

I dislike John Walker as much as the next guy who hates insufferable blowhard "critics" but you can't pretend that Mad Max doesn't have flaws because it does.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
I want a Furiosa game where you drive the war rig on convoys and direct your escorts and crew to fight off attackers.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

TerminalSaint posted:

I want a Furiosa game where you drive the war rig on convoys and direct your escorts and crew to fight off attackers.

Convoy is moddable: http://store.steampowered.com/app/318230/

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Holy poo poo.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Frogfingers posted:

I think this is only the case if you have a controller. He talks more about some dodgy KB+M shenanigans as well which paints it pretty clear the game was designed with a controller in mind.

Fair enough then, I have yet to try it with KB + M because this sort of game screams for a controller to me. Like, I'm sure you could play it with KB + M but I don't really want to try :v:

King Vidiot posted:

I think he's on about the fact that you can be literally right next to a car, have a line of sight on the driver through a torn-off door or windshield, and still be unable to grapple him out. He's on about the fact that sometimes the distance needed to grapple something seems to be random. Sometimes that scarecrow will be highlighted, sometimes not and both times will be equidistant.

I dislike John Walker as much as the next guy who hates insufferable blowhard "critics" but you can't pretend that Mad Max doesn't have flaws because it does.

I'm not claiming the game doesn't have flaws, but it honestly feels like he's not leveling valid, sensible criticism at the game so much as screaming about supposed problems that stem more from him not quite grasping how poo poo works. I think re: the distance thing, it's not so much distance as angles that the poon doesn't like. A lot of the times i've been unable to hook onto something have been times when the cable would otherwise hit something in the way, like part of a cliff or a car's front A pillar or whatever. If you stay the same distance and adjust your car so you can line up a cleaner shot it usually will go "Oh hey, okay, now you're lined up better, you can totally hit that dude." It's definitely fiddly as gently caress sometimes, but I think it's more obstruction based wonkiness than anything.

Segmentation Fault posted:

oh man I want a black thumbs gangtag

Come be one of the irl cool dudes in Automotive Insanity then :v:

Niggurath posted:

Yeah, I've sometimes wanted to grapple hook off a wheel but I think if the car has grinders on the wheel then it won't? The game is sometimes not very clear which defenses on enemy vehicles will block you from doing certain things, which is a bit frustrating. Or when I'm trying to just grapple a scarecrow and I'm within a reasonable range, but I have to stop my lock-on attempts multiple times before it will properly recognize that I want to lock onto it.

Grinders and wheel armor of any sort will stop you from grappling off an enemy wheel. You have to completely knock off any armor on the part you want to tear off, otherwise it won't let you grab it.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, I've sometimes wanted to grapple hook off a wheel but I think if the car has grinders on the wheel then it won't? The game is sometimes not very clear which defenses on enemy vehicles will block you from doing certain things, which is a bit frustrating. Or when I'm trying to just grapple a scarecrow and I'm within a reasonable range, but I have to stop my lock-on attempts multiple times before it will properly recognize that I want to lock onto it.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

The only things I dont really like are the minefields (though I did kite a scavenger over one I had uncovered, which was hilarious)

Find the boom bomb, little buddy!

Also:

Don't throw rocks at Max's car.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Praise be!

Explosions just keep happening. They're so beautiful.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Frogfingers posted:

I've played the whole game on kb+m and it's completely fine. I wish there were less long presses involved, but that's it.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."

MrMojok posted:

I've been wanting to get the side burners for a while, but based on what I've seen in the last couple of pages it sounds like it might not be worth it.

As I edited into my post bitching about how to get them, I did get ahold of them eventually, and I upgraded them to level 2 before using them. They are fairly satisfying, it gives you some decent firepower to the left and right.

It's no OP thunderpoon or Harpoon of doom, but they gets the job done so long if you're careful to not burn all your guzzolene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Segmentation Fault posted:

it's generally understood that publishers will bend over backwards to appease reviewers for certain games, sending them free goodies among other things along with review copies of the game. it's also understood that some pr firms will drop review outfits if they pan a title. gaming news sites get a lot of pressure put on them to report things positively and to gloss over negatives.

Also-also, game reviewers are often on a tight schedule.

AND there's the fact that sometimes they feel compelled to critique a game based on its technical merits rather than whether it makes you feel good. I think a lot of critics fall into that trap for every type of media.

This looks possibly good. How would you rate it?

Speedball fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 10, 2015

• Locked thread