Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Vil posted:

If you're going to grind something for upgrades to ultimately-disposable leveling gear, you might as well grind for something current to whatever level you actually are, not just to whatever was the best stuff at 50. (Because when you're in Vault/Library, 130 gear's outdated too, just not quite as badly as 120 gear is.)

If you're leveling via fates, you can pretty much give zero shits about gear, though try to keep your weapon up to date at least.

If you prefer RNG drop farming, you can grind dungeons for odd-levelled gear in the 50s. If you don't, you can use crafted gear for even-levelled gear in the 50s. Just avoid anything that's egregiously price-jacked, or craft that yourself or have a crafter buddy craft it for you.

Remember: even if you didn't personally accept a given gear upgrade from a leveling quest, someone did, and some of them turned right around and put them up for sale. Prices will have gone up since the initial market-flooding at HW release, but they should still be affordable.

Okay, thanks for the advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Important thing to watch out for with leveling gear is that higher ilvl=/=better, for instance the i110 soldiery gear has better stats than the i115 vendor gear in foundation

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

The past few times I've ran there has been 7/8 players that have all cleared before so it's cake.

Weirdly, I've had a few groups with no one new before. Sometimes roulette just doesn't like you.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

mr. stefan posted:

Important thing to watch out for with leveling gear is that higher ilvl=/=better, for instance the i110 soldiery gear has better stats than the i115 vendor gear in foundation

Speaking of soldiery gear, is there still a place to buy that if you want glamors?

Poetics gear stays good until like level 54 before it starts seriously being outclassed by HW gear.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

seiferguy posted:

Speaking of soldiery gear, is there still a place to buy that if you want glamors?

Poetics gear stays good until like level 54 before it starts seriously being outclassed by HW gear.

The gear from the vendor at Helix is the same design as all the Soldiery gear, but I'm not sure if it's equally dyeable. The main story rewards the class soldiery gear now pre-HW.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Helix stuff absorbs the color you dye it with more thoroughly so that certain highlights from the old Soldiery gear change color/vanish. If you want old Soldiery stuff, your only real bet is to get Allied Seals and buy it from your GC.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

mr. stefan posted:

This is only because the 115 gear is normal quality. The high quality stats are actually significantly better than soldiery gear.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Desynthesis. :negative:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Granted, why you would want the Soldiery gear is a question unto itself. It was kind of a low point in Pretty Princess Dressup Progression.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

The healer set looks nice but :agreed: on the rest

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I hate AS3.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Scrublord Prime posted:

The healer set looks nice but :agreed: on the rest

Daystar Circlet was great, and the Aurum Regis one dyes even better.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Vil posted:

Granted, why you would want the Soldiery gear is a question unto itself. It was kind of a low point in Pretty Princess Dressup Progression.

It was seriously disappointing to see my character go from badass BLM to weird kinky magician's assistant

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I hate AS3.

The whole raid tier seems weird. Alexander NM is, functionally speaking, CT with 16 fewer people... but they're still going to release a new CT in the next patch (which I guess will drop i180 gear?). Meanwhile, AS3 seems to be the graveyard of statics. I don't think I've talked to anyone doing it currently who's actually enjoying how ungodly punishing it is. There's just this bizarre speed bump from AS2 -> AS3.

I'm mostly just disappointed by the lack of midcore stuff. I thought Ravana Ex was pitch-perfect as far as difficulty went. All of my clears were from PF, and while it was challenging, it wasn't impossible. AS1 just seems like a dang nightmare for non-statics, by comparison, and it's harshed my groove as far as playing the game goes.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

My biggest issue with AS3 is the unresponsiveness of gimmicks. We've wiped multiple times to digititis randomly because the server tick decided two people weren't on top of eachother or because I had to run through a tether 3-4 times and still didn't get it picked up. If that stuff wasn't so shoddily coded I feel that most people wouldn't tear their hair out at this fight.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

It was seriously disappointing to see my character go from badass BLM to weird kinky magician's assistant

Two words: tail boner.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

I thought that was an animation/model/rigging glitch for the first hour or so. :geno:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Vil posted:

I like my dress up options, ok.

(Granted if I wear it is entirely a different discussion).

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

nuru posted:

Weirdly, I've had a few groups with no one new before. Sometimes roulette just doesn't like you.

I had a group miss the dps check in Bismarck Normal. I didn't even know there WAS one :negative:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

To this day I don't know why they did the weird tail thing with the soldiery caster fishnets but never removed or altered the tail on any other pants in the game. Some things just look really bad or gross with an extra cat tail hanging out (like the chocobo suit).

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Just saw this on reddit:

quote:

So I just acquired the Magitek Mount from doing the Main Quests, but when I go to use it it won't let me. How exactly can I summon this mount? I can't look anything up since most wiki sites are blocked here at work.

EDIT: Thanks everyone! I did use the item in my inventory, but I have not done the quest to be able to actually use mounts.

Dude made it all the way through the end of 2.0 without a mount...

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
So far our group seems to be doing alright with AS3. We're working on the add phase right now, but I mean nothing seems too terribly onerous. Phase 4 looks nuts. Hopefully we'll see that this week.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Nipponophile posted:

Just saw this on reddit:

You have to unlock the company chocobo to unlock mounts, right? I can see it being kinda easy to miss if you don't have prior knowledge or aren't determined to get a chocobo. I'm pretty sure the game tells you "hey, you can buy the chocobo whistle from that npc over there" - but I could see someone mashing through the dialog, or not going out of their way to get the seals, thinking they can just get another mount or that chocobos just come later.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

FFXIV is fundamentally really easy to execute but drat near none of it is explained in a meaningful way

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Oxyclean posted:

You have to unlock the company chocobo to unlock mounts, right? I can see it being kinda easy to miss if you don't have prior knowledge or aren't determined to get a chocobo. I'm pretty sure the game tells you "hey, you can buy the chocobo whistle from that npc over there" - but I could see someone mashing through the dialog, or not going out of their way to get the seals, thinking they can just get another mount or that chocobos just come later.

But unless he's playing on a low-pop server at a weird time, he should have seen everyone riding on chocobos. Simple e-peen envy should have led him towards inquiring how to get one for himself.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Wasn't getting your chocobo mount literally in the path of the rest of the MSQ?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Nipponophile posted:

Just saw this on reddit:

I would call bullshit but you have to actually save up 2000 seals to buy the license. I think the MSQ only has you name the chocobo.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

nuru posted:

Wasn't getting your chocobo mount literally in the path of the rest of the MSQ?

The quest to unlock it is gated behind part of the MSQ and they specifically mention that you need to join a grand company to get a chocobo to ride. A lot of people skip the story and don't read poo poo, so it could be missed, but it's a driving point behind joining a GC in the first place.

Eerkik
Feb 13, 2010
I'm level 24 and still doing the story to unlock GCs. I made the mistake of doing side quests alongside the mainstory on a trial account so I hit 20 right when I unlocked satasha and then didn't get around to doing it for awhile. Can't wait til I'm caught up and have a chocobo along with my new skills in the dungeons I'm unlocking

The game is more fun in a fc for anyone not a part of one of the goon fcs reading this

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Thundarr posted:

To this day I don't know why they did the weird tail thing with the soldiery caster fishnets but never removed or altered the tail on any other pants in the game. Some things just look really bad or gross with an extra cat tail hanging out (like the chocobo suit).

BLM/ACN pvp gear removes tails

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Niton posted:

Daystar Circlet was great, and the Aurum Regis one dyes even better.

I wanted an armored healer look for some time and the Daystar hand and feet were a great step towards that. The PVP Swan hat looks good with it too but I can't find any drat chest to complete the look. :negative:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It's also worth noting that if you have your companion out (even in a mountable but non-combat area like housing), you can't use any mounts other than the company chocobo

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Desynthesis. :negative:

If you enjoy smelting gear and dumping it off a pier into irretrievably deep water, Desynthesis may be for you.

At least I can desynth hw levelling dungeon gear for ltw now, and I'm over 50% on exdr jewelry, though still not sure on what/if I want to take up a third desynth.

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 10, 2015

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Scrublord Prime posted:

I wanted an armored healer look for some time and the Daystar hand and feet were a great step towards that. The PVP Swan hat looks good with it too but I can't find any drat chest to complete the look. :negative:

Prototype Gordian is literally healer armor.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
i want heavy darklight tail armor from 1.0

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

What's currently the most populated EU server? Were there any EU goon offshoots on other servers?

I've pretty much lost all hope that I can find a static on Excalibur. I've looked at the official forums, checked the party finder, checked and posted on ffgoons. Our semi-goon static didn't even get proper AS1 attempts before falling apart and now I need to find a static that's willing to take me in. The other EU goon statics are full as far as I know.

I've got my AST and WHM at 60 with esoterics capped every week and I'm slowly leveling my ninja (wrong choice for a EU DPS, I know, but I'm doing it for my own enjoyment). Are there any sites/resources I should look besides the official forums, ffgoons and party finder?

I really want to get to the endgame, guys. :negative: I did some pretty high end (but time limited) raiding in WoW before I moved to FFXIV and I was hoping to recreate that here.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Vermain posted:

The whole raid tier seems weird. Alexander NM is, functionally speaking, CT with 16 fewer people... but they're still going to release a new CT in the next patch (which I guess will drop i180 gear?). Meanwhile, AS3 seems to be the graveyard of statics. I don't think I've talked to anyone doing it currently who's actually enjoying how ungodly punishing it is. There's just this bizarre speed bump from AS2 -> AS3.

I'm mostly just disappointed by the lack of midcore stuff. I thought Ravana Ex was pitch-perfect as far as difficulty went. All of my clears were from PF, and while it was challenging, it wasn't impossible. AS1 just seems like a dang nightmare for non-statics, by comparison, and it's harshed my groove as far as playing the game goes.

it would be a mistake to compare alexander nm to anything from 2.0. it's a new tier of low difficulty raid content for people that want the story behind raid stuff but aren't in hardcore raid groups. void ark is going to be the new ct and i would expect it to give ilevel 200 equipment immediately and upgrades for ilevel 210 equipment a few patches down the line, to provide gearing options for people trying to catch up on top level content

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Yeah part of the problem with the patch/gear cycle they are stuck in is the 24 person raids always drop stuff of a nearly useless ilev for even casual players. I kind of hope they shake up the paradigm a bit, and Void Ark drops stuff that's a bit more compelling. i200 Role gear instead of the currently available Job gear would fit the bill.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

At the expense of Alexander Normal. That makes it a bit more tricky unless they're happy with it not making it all the way to 3.2 for the next set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Boten Anna posted:

Yeah part of the problem with the patch/gear cycle they are stuck in is the 24 person raids always drop stuff of a nearly useless ilev for even casual players. I kind of hope they shake up the paradigm a bit, and Void Ark drops stuff that's a bit more compelling. i200 Role gear instead of the currently available Job gear would fit the bill.

just like every crystal tower raid since launch because they all drop the equivalent of unupgraded tomestone gear (except lota because there was no upgrade mechanic for first coil)

• Locked thread