Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Rime posted:

TBF you've accurately described dating in most Canadian cities. It's a sad fact of life that if you're over 25 the good ones are either already taken or long since fled this barren wasteland for a decent country.

Yep. I done hosed up. Unless I get transferred to Europe. But more likely I'll end up in some bumfuck town in New York state. I decided not to go for that apartment for now and instead just save up as much money as possible. Who knows maybe I'll just invest it until it grows into a couple million and build a large granite pyramid tomb in a suburban neighborhood to house my corpse with an annuity to funnel the tax money needed to keep it standing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Rime posted:

:goonsay:

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 10, 2015

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Oh man I missed poo poo on Barrie chat because of work. :smith:

Imagine Hamilton and Thunder Bay had a baby and that baby had fetal alcohol syndrome. Thats Barrie. Not quite hick town, not quite rust belt wasteland, but all the stupid parts of both.

At least its not Peterborough though.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
^^ haha I was chatting to this girl and somehow the topic of Peterborough came up and I was like "oh my grandparents live there" and she was like "yeah mine too" and then we were both like "this is maybe the most Peterborough conversation ever".

I moved back in with my mom with my husband when we moved back to Canada for a while and I was I guess like 24 or 25 I guess I didn't realize what I huge loser I was all that time.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

flashman posted:

Why haven't they sold it and rented while waiting for price correction?

Sell? Prices are tanking in calgary, and rent is absurd; last summer I saw a studio renting for $1000/mo here. And I've seen those particular units. Like, they're not in the ghetto but they're old-ish and nothing special.

edit: also, originally bought in 2008 before the economy fell on its sword, when prices were still high.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
So Calgarian homeowners, how many of you motherfuckers were proclaiming prices can only go up, prior to July 2014?

Be honest now.

:laugh:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Cultural Imperial posted:

So Calgarian homeowners, how many of you motherfuckers were proclaiming prices can only go up, prior to July 2014?

Be honest now.

Have prices there seriously been dropping for that long? I thought it was at the very earliest the start of this year, but granted I pay very little attention to this poo poo because I neither live there nor ever expect to.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Be honest now.

I bought at the price I was willing to pay and am not looking at my house as an investment or retirement strategy...

Calgary is weird where condos are dropping like a rock but townhouses and detached houses are relatively sticky.

Comparable houses in my neighborhood have gone up around 80 k in price. I have no idea whats going on.

Edit: I bought Dec 2013

apatheticman fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 10, 2015

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Be honest now.

All i know is I bought in October 2014 after hunting all summer, and got the place for like 1/8th off the asking price. I think the writing was probably on the wall back then. (condo, btw)

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I wish I could get paid Calgary money while living in NS. I could have a palace. :(

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Legit, my buddy got a nice split level house in Phoenix for what my 1 bedroom condo cost me in Calgary.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
It's ok, your kind is what keeps our strong stable economy afloat.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Also we'll all be bailing your asses out

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

P.d0t posted:

Legit, my buddy got a nice split level house in Phoenix for what my 1 bedroom condo cost me in Calgary.

If I owned Phoenix and Hell, i'd live in hell and rent Phoenix

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

El Scotch posted:

I wish I could get paid Calgary money while living in NS. I could have a palace. :(

Like, this is the actual problem; if I lived somewhere cheaper and did the same job, I'd get paid less because

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

P.d0t posted:

Like, this is the actual problem; if I lived somewhere cheaper and did the same job, I'd get paid less because

And so I continue biding my time in the hope Calgary corrects...a bit. Preferably a lot.

I could afford to buy a place now, but I'd rather wait and hopefully buy a place for less.

E: Bahahaha

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 10, 2015

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

P.d0t posted:

Sell? Prices are tanking in calgary, and rent is absurd; last summer I saw a studio renting for $1000/mo here. And I've seen those particular units. Like, they're not in the ghetto but they're old-ish and nothing special.

edit: also, originally bought in 2008 before the economy fell on its sword, when prices were still high.

Really sounds to me like buying a half a condo with her brother wasn't really something that worked out well for her.....

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

flashman posted:

Really sounds to me like buying a half a condo with her brother wasn't really something that worked out well for her.....

your average joe smo sucks at timing the market in everything from stocks to real estate.

Gets excited when home prices or stock prices are high, then buys.

Sells all stocks in the middle of a crash.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

quote:

The Vendor will not accept any offers to purchase from any individual that is an Employee of TD Bank or any of its subsidiaries or affiliated Corporations.

What an odd stipulation. I assume the vendor is a competing mortgage holder in this case?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

pro-tip:

If you need to split a mortgage with family members or friends it means you aren't financially ready to buy.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

etalian posted:

your average joe smo sucks at timing the market in everything from stocks to real estate.

Gets excited when home prices or stock prices are high, then buys.

Sells all stocks in the middle of a crash.

This dumb broad I was dating was living with her parents while I was buying in at the peak of the market on the halves with my sister.. What an idiot

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rime posted:

What an odd stipulation. I assume the vendor is a competing mortgage holder in this case?

The owner is probably the TD bank and they have to make sure that there is no conflict of interest.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

etalian posted:

pro-tip:

If you need to split a mortgage with family members or friends it means you aren't financially ready to buy.

If you can somehow get your monthly housing spend down to reasonable amounts it's fine. Never, ever get into business with friends.

Im not sure how many single people could afford to buy anything other than a tiny condo. I could carry my mortgage myself if I had to but it would be extremely unpleasant.

All my FB friends are going west of the GTA

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rime posted:

TBF you've accurately described dating in most Canadian cities. It's a sad fact of life that if you're over 25 the good ones are either already taken or long since fled this barren wasteland for a decent country.

I have a friend in his late 40s who's managed to convince himself that the reason younger women are attracted to him is all because of his "charm."

He's an investment banker, probably worth 8 figures.

I didn't have the heart to break the bad news to him...

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

apatheticman posted:

I bought at the price I was willing to pay and am not looking at my house as an investment or retirement strategy...

Calgary is weird where condos are dropping like a rock but townhouses and detached houses are relatively sticky.

Comparable houses in my neighborhood have gone up around 80 k in price. I have no idea whats going on.

Edit: I bought Dec 2013

This sort of makes sense in that condos is where most of the new supply has been added, whereas detached houses would be in more limited supply. You'll have people with investment condos but not many with investment detached houses.

I haven't looked at Calgary housing prices, but I'd expect cheap condos in the suburbs to be quickly dropping in value, whereas more expensive condos in the downtown core to be holding their value a bit more.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You need to buy a condo early to get your self on the dating ladder, fee-males only care about the size of your equity. Not owning is beta.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

PT6A posted:

I have a friend in his late 40s who's managed to convince himself that the reason younger women are attracted to him is all because of his "charm."

When you get together, do you rub fedoras together and talk about women?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
So while you guys are going on about snatching up cheap property or whatever whenever the inevitable crash occurs, I have a better plan on how I plan to make money off of it:

Yes. This is a real tour offered in Iceland. I did give it some consideration while there last week.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
If you're having Canadian women troubles, it's not because of the women available in your city, it's because you're a massive dirty goon with a reprehensible personality

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Trees and Squids posted:

If you're having Canadian women troubles, it's not because of the women available in your city, it's because you're a massive dirty goon with a reprehensible personality
No, it can't be, clearly all feee-males want the same thing in this wretched country, and all the good ones are taken, like they're happy meal toys, and if I could only move to Estonia or whatever promised land then I would be swimming in pussy

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

THC posted:

No, it can't be, clearly all feee-males want the same thing in this wretched country, and all the good ones are taken, like they're happy meal toys, and if I could only move to Estonia or whatever promised land then I would be swimming in pussy

hot wheels envy

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

PT6A posted:

Ask him what would happen if he cut his "shopping allowance" for his girlfriends by half or even by two thirds. If he's worth 8 figures, he's probably spending a five figure sum per month.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Professor Shark posted:

There are some okay things about Cape Breton, tho

Yea, like Chase the Ace.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/inverness-chase-the-ace-cell-service-gets-boost-from-bell-aliant-tower-1.3222527

I'll let some curmudgeonly CBC commenters speak for me on this one:

Allworld posted:

"fundraiser has turned into a huge boost for the entire community, with food and gas sales soaring..."

"Chase the Ace"... the new 'Economic Action Plan' for Nova Scotia's communities.

Gracietoo posted:

This is what poverty and desperation looks like. if it weren't so far I'd be there too buying a ticket with good odds.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Rime posted:

The lies we tell ourselves.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

OhYeah posted:

Ask him what would happen if he cut his "shopping allowance" for his girlfriends by half or even by two thirds. If he's worth 8 figures, he's probably spending a five figure sum per month.

He's married, and I don't think he actually cheats, he just likes the attention. I have no idea what the monthly budget looks like, but I do know that he has one Range Rover for Canada, and another for when he's at his vacation home in the US, so I have to think he's not adverse to spending large amounts of money.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Seriously lol if you think the dating game ends at 25. If anything, that's when the real fun begins. Pretty much everybody under 25 is just a stupid loving overgrown teenager who doesn't know anything about anything, much less what they want in life.

Also all those people who get married in their early 20s? Ask them what their biggest regret is when they're in their 40s and almost to a (wo)man they will say "getting married as young as I did".

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

People from all over the area are putting in more and more money every week. One person that I know of went last week representing over a dozen people, all of whom are putting in money they cannot afford to lose.

This isn't the kind of area that you want to win big in, anyway. My girlfriend and I both buy lottery tickets, and if we somehow ever win, we both decided we'd have to move. People around here get upset when there is someone who has More than them.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MrChips posted:

Seriously lol if you think the dating game ends at 25. If anything, that's when the real fun begins. Pretty much everybody under 25 is just a stupid loving overgrown teenager who doesn't know anything about anything, much less what they want in life.

Also all those people who get married in their early 20s? Ask them what their biggest regret is when they're in their 40s and almost to a (wo)man they will say "getting married as young as I did".

By the time you are hitting 25 you are probably entering the phase where everyone you know is getting divorced.

You'll be fine. Foreveralone

e: Their first divorce anyways.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

ocrumsprug posted:

By the time you are hitting 25 you are probably entering the phase where everyone you know is getting divorced.

You'll be fine. Foreveralone

e: Their first divorce anyways.

Everyone I know is getting a baby to save their marriages!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Really? Everyone I know is just starting to get married one by one, or at least come out of the closet as "permanently together". My only close friend with a kid died two months after she was born this year. :(

Personally, being a stupid loving overgrown teenager and living a crazy life is far too much fun to trade for silly things like job security or long term prospects, so phooey on any girl that just wants to be boring anyways. :v: