Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Aranan posted:

I first found this thread when I was on something like book 3. I bookmarked it and never looked at it again until I finished the 10th.

I guess I should probably read Forge of Darkness soon... I read all of ICE's books because I wanted more Malazan, and haven't touched the series since. Maybe I should give FoD a read.
You've read all the ICE books because you wanted more Malazan but you haven't read FoD??

:stare:

READ FOD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

thumper57 posted:

Re: Jethiss - but when did (TtH and TCG) Spinnock actually die? i remember him showing up at the shore with Korlat and the Andii and not dying after that?

Yeah, isn't he the one doing that epic shieldbashing stuff while Nimander & Co are up fighting it dragon storm style? Also Jethiss saying "Make me a sword worthy of me" is basically the same kind of request he gives to Caladan Brood...

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Habibi posted:

You've read all the ICE books because you wanted more Malazan but you haven't read FoD??

:stare:

READ FOD.

To be fair, I read the ICE books before FoD was out. I haven't read Assail, either. But I have ordered FoD along with Bauchelain and Korbal Broach 1. I'll get my Erikson back on, don't worry!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You owe it to yourself to read Crack'd Pot Trail.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Crack'd Pot Trail is the only Malazan book that I put down unfinished. It's the epitome of everything I dislike about Erikson's writing.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
So, having finished Forge of Darkness, are there any common theories on what becomes of Arathan between FoD and the 1100s, Burn's Sleep?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Nothing too substantial, I believe: FoD cured a lot of the Malazan fanbase of theorizing by showing they were all wrong.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

zeal posted:

So, having finished Forge of Darkness, are there any common theories on what becomes of Arathan between FoD and the 1100s, Burn's Sleep?

The two most common theories I've seen are:

1) He is Tayschrenn (who has gone by the name Artanthos)
2) He has some connection to Quick Ben, potentially by way of one of the souls within him (has to do with his perspective on the Spar of Andii)

So it's pretty much a given he turns out to be a distant ancestor of Hedge.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Habibi posted:

The two most common theories I've seen are:

2) He has some connection to Quick Ben, potentially by way of one of the souls within him (has to do with his perspective on the Spar of Andii)

So it's pretty much a given he turns out to be a distant ancestor of Hedge.

I just thought of it now, but he could be Edgewalker. Some connection to Shadow and Elder Gods (being half-Darkness/Draconus), an undead kind of vibe from hanging out with Jaghuts before/during the war on death. And, y'know, walking around the edges of Kurald Galain.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Habibi posted:

I really like this one, even if I think the Quick Ben angle is a lot more likely.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

zeal posted:

I really like this one, even if I think the Quick Ben angle is a lot more likely.
The only thing is, Arathan doesn't seem to know magic.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Infinite Karma posted:

The only thing is, Arathan doesn't seem to know magic.

Yet. But he's also the son of an Azathanai and who knows what else, so it seems almost inevitable that he figures it out at some point.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Habibi posted:

Yet. But he's also the son of an Azathanai and who knows what else, so it seems almost inevitable that he figures it out at some point.
Especially considering magic as we know it doesn't exist yet in FoD. That being said, I really really hope he ends up being someone else; ICE killed that character off for me.
Oh, speaking of ICE: did anyone ever figure out why the gently caress did he turn K'rul into a woman?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Rereading Midnight Tides and came across a line that relates to Forge of Darkness. Did Scara Bandaris participate in the slaying of Andarist's betrothed? In the Midnight Tides prologue he straight admits to have had a part in the tragedy but Andarist never knew about his involvement. From what I remember of FoD he blames it on Hunn Raal loyalists and goes so far as to resign. Gives me something to look for again anyway. Glad I'm doing the reread of the main series, picking up on tons of stuff that I definitely missed the first time through.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

anilEhilated posted:

Oh, speaking of ICE: did anyone ever figure out why the gently caress did he turn K'rul into a woman?

... What? I think I missed something.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

The Ninth Layer posted:

Rereading Midnight Tides and came across a line that relates to Forge of Darkness. Did Scara Bandaris participate in the slaying of Andarist's betrothed? In the Midnight Tides prologue he straight admits to have had a part in the tragedy but Andarist never knew about his involvement. From what I remember of FoD he blames it on Hunn Raal loyalists and goes so far as to resign. Gives me something to look for again anyway. Glad I'm doing the reread of the main series, picking up on tons of stuff that I definitely missed the first time through.

I need to reread FoD, but from my hazy recollection, he had no part in the murder plot, and was not aware of it, but possibly belonged to the side that orchestrated it?

Aranan posted:

... What? I think I missed something.
Yup. Orb, Sceptre, Throne.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
in a world where dragons rain down from the sky or magician's get spritual handjobs from ghost monkeys, a god changing their gender at a whim is not really out of place

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Dalmuti posted:

in a world where dragons rain down from the sky or magician's get spritual handjobs from ghost monkeys, a god changing their gender at a whim is not really out of place

I think the weird thing was that it was implied to not be a sudden change but to have been the case all along.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Eh, they have minor differences, nothing to really get your knickers in a twist over. (e.g., Tufty/Fluffy)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but the weird thing is he acknowledges it - there's a character quip somewhere along the lines of "Weird, I thought K'rul was a guy".
So I'm fairly sure there was a purpose but cannot fathom what.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Habibi posted:

I need to reread FoD, but from my hazy recollection, he had no part in the murder plot, and was not aware of it, but possibly belonged to the side that orchestrated it?
Yup. Orb, Sceptre, Throne.

I think he was just their captain and they assumed he'd approve despite him not being there and repeatedly talked about as honourable?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Jose posted:

I think he was just their captain and they assumed he'd approve despite him not being there and repeatedly talked about as honourable?

That's what I remember happening too but the Midnight Tides prologue definitely suggests the opposite.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

The Ninth Layer posted:

That's what I remember happening too but the Midnight Tides prologue definitely suggests the opposite.

It's possible he considers his membership in that faction sufficiently terrible in and of itself, as far as Andarist is concerned.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Overly stuffy and completely full of himself? Yup that sounds like Andarist

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Baudin posted:

Overly stuffy and completely full of himself? Yup that sounds like Andarist

Let him who has had his fiance brutally gang raped and murdered on their wedding day cast the first stone.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Habibi posted:

Let him who has had his fiance brutally gang raped and murdered on their wedding day cast the first stone.

I'll give him some slack for that, and because of the skills with swords thing, but he's still so aggravating for some reason.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's not his fault Anomander wouldn't take his grief.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Habibi posted:

It's possible he considers his membership in that faction sufficiently terrible in and of itself, as far as Andarist is concerned.

Spoilers from MT, the exact quote from the prologue:

Three names...

Andarist, who long ago surrendered his power in answer to a grief that could never heal. All unknowing that the hand that delivered that grief was mine...

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I've started a reread and I love that when Tool is talking to Lorn about the history of the Tiste Andii he tells her that there is probably little truth to it.

That's such a great line after reading the prequel.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i just spent an isolated two week at work and happened to read the first book in this series. if i had literally anything else to do in my down time i would never have read it, as it took until what my kindle told me was 70% of the book before i gave a single gently caress about anything that was happening, but then i couldn't stop. i am thoroughly enjoying book 2 thus far. anyway i have nothing to contribute, peace out.

genki
Nov 12, 2003

Marching Powder posted:

i just spent an isolated two week at work and happened to read the first book in this series. if i had literally anything else to do in my down time i would never have read it, as it took until what my kindle told me was 70% of the book before i gave a single gently caress about anything that was happening, but then i couldn't stop. i am thoroughly enjoying book 2 thus far. anyway i have nothing to contribute, peace out.
I just finished book one and I'm not entirely clear what's happened or who all the major players are, but it's been relatively interesting so hopefully things start to come together in a book or two...

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Books 2 and on are a major improvement on GotM; there was a long pause between Erikson writing that and continuing the series.
That being said, there is some really impressive foreshadowing in the first one.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

GOTM is a lot of events happening in really quick succession and at times it reads more like a visual novel without the pictures. A lot of things happen really quickly. Deadhouse Gates brings up all the stuff from Gardens and this time remembers to put a proper book around it. Undeniably an improvement, so if you could get through Gardens and still enjoy it you're only going uphill from there.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
so there I was at the end of DoD thinking "I know this is basically one long book cut in half but is he actually gonna end this first half on anything?" and a minute later in the audiobook all hell broke loose.

Am I supposed to know what the gently caress a Stormrider is? I vaguely remember them being mentioned in relation to one of the female captains.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's more of a sideline thing. They're some kind of intelligent sea creatures that for some reason (that's elaborated on in the ICE stuff) constantly attack Korel. They ride on waves and have strong ice magic.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Dalmuti posted:

magician's get spritual handjobs from ghost monkeys

Ok, which book should I get excited for?

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 14, 2015

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

First time that happens is book 4, House of Chains. It's not the last time it happens.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015

genki posted:

I just finished book one and I'm not entirely clear what's happened or who all the major players are, but it's been relatively interesting so hopefully things start to come together in a book or two...

I've always looked at the Malazan books as a mystery. The info and history is slowly given out over the course of the series, until finally you start piecing it all together. I enjoy the take on it, rather than the standard fantasy fare of 50-100 pages of boring exposition explaining the world to you. I understand some people's frustrations with it, but I personally love it.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Illinois Smith posted:

so there I was at the end of DoD thinking "I know this is basically one long book cut in half but is he actually gonna end this first half on anything?" and a minute later in the audiobook all hell broke loose.

Am I supposed to know what the gently caress a Stormrider is? I vaguely remember them being mentioned in relation to one of the female captains.

I haven't read the ICE books, but there's a lot of references to Malazans manning some kind of wall against the Stormriders. I wouldn't really call it spoilers as it's not really a secret that spoils anything, it's just part of the world, like Jaghut roaming around. People manning the wall are considered to be bad asses and it's apparently very rare for them to stop and be sent to other duties. I get the feeling there is a bigger story behind Captain Faradan Sort, the captain formerly of the wall, but I don't know what it is.

e: Sort owns though, that much is indisputable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I think the ending of DoD is when one of the Malazan captains reveals he can somehow don armour of ice just like a stormrider can, and that he used to roll with Greymane. I'm not sure how he could do it.

God drat I read that book like a month ago and it's already vague and hazy, I can't even remember his name.