Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I'm just curious what the Camp Omega re-visit was going to be.

I suspect it was going to be part of the final reveal and you got to see Snake through the perspective of the medic, rather than the final mission just being the first mission with like two changes. It'd be Kojima revisiting what he did with Raiden. (Which is honestly what Venom Snake is: Raiden 2.0, right down to your name appearing as his name at the end of the game.)

Edit:
In general Kojima has a biiiig thing for 'the same things repeat over generations but in doing so they change." It's a convenient excuse to reuse character concepts but at very least he does seem to actually want to do something with it which is how you get things like Huey or Venom Snake. Venom Snake is arguably a successful SSS (the fake one,not the real one) project, right down to being put into place by Cypher.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

MGS2 rules but I like how Venom Snake was handled more, the ending of the game is a really cool sequence with him struggling with accepting the final role he has to play and its all handled non verbally which is neat. It's a very cool scene.

I also like how Big Boss is explicitly cast as a bad person who will sacrifice an entire hospital, the life of a comrade, and everything that remains of MSF so he can continue his work unimpeded elsewhere. MIller's arc is really cool in this game and he has a right to feel how he does, but it's also kinda cool that he sees Venom as the real Boss worth supporting since he's the one who picked up the pieces and actually saved him.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

It was Zero who set the hospital thing up, not Big Boss. By the time Big Boss awoke, everything was set in place by Zero anyway so he'd be as well using the decoy.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I definitely think this is going to be a sleeper hit, once people come to terms with the twist.

When I first heard "Venom isn't Big Boss", I was annoyed that he was just reusing the MGS2 twist. But this feels fresh. This isn't someone being forced to live up to someone else's reputation like Raiden was, it's someone taking on sins of the father (see what I did there?)

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
oh hey, I just realised Quiet isn't going to die in the desert since she has no alveoli for the parasites to breed in due to her lungs being burned out husks filled with flower petals

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I definitely think this is going to be a sleeper hit, once people come to terms with the twist.

When I first heard "Venom isn't Big Boss", I was annoyed that he was just reusing the MGS2 twist. But this feels fresh. This isn't someone being forced to live up to someone else's reputation like Raiden was, it's someone taking on sins of the father (see what I did there?)

I honestly didn't see it coming. I read speculation beforehand about the main dude not being big boss, and the medic having the same voice, but I just thought it was a bait and switch raiden fakeout, because the doctor said something weird... like 'we did the surgery' then 'oh we didn't do it', so I thought: "ok it's just my Metal Gear Online character I just created, ok cool". I did wonder about Ishmael but then I thought, whatever.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The Radix posted:

oh hey, I just realised Quiet isn't going to die in the desert since she has no alveoli for the parasites to breed in due to her lungs being burned out husks filled with flower petals

Yah it's more she's just leaving you so the danger is gone.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'm bummed out Venom took her pictures down anyways though, but I'm choosing to see it as him being sad she left and not being reminded of her than angry that she left like when he takes Huey's down.

Now that I've seen the 51 stuff I think I'd actually be really disappointed if that's what we got instead of the cool ending we actually did, I think as another mission in chapter 2 it would be alright, but if you put it after 43 I would have a really hard time caring because that one is way more emotionally resonant and powerful.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 10, 2015

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I knew something had to be up when they first called him Venom Snake in previews. There's kind of a precedent with "old snake" having two snake names but it was still a tip off.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I'm glad the game is the way it is and not just all our favorite characters growing up in the same orphanage coming in for a huuuuge party.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Oh, I noticed something with the Afrikaans (which is clearly spoken by actual Afrikaans speakers. Hollywood could learn something from Konami apparently)
Dude says in Afrikaans: "MOENIE KAKPRAAT NIE!" (Don't talk poo poo)
subtitle: "YOU'RE TELLING STORIES!"

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

redreader posted:

Hollywood could learn something from Kojima apparently

ftfy, by all accounts he's the guy who wants all those little details in his games. Even if it means going over budget.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

redreader posted:

Oh, I noticed something with the Afrikaans (which is clearly spoken by actual Afrikaans speakers. Hollywood could learn something from Konami apparently)
Dude says in Afrikaans: "MOENIE KAKPRAAT NIE!" (Don't talk poo poo)
subtitle: "YOU'RE TELLING STORIES!"

It's probably not intended, but during the Afrikaans interpreter mission, if you already got an Afrikaans interpreter, you can hear that the he improvises a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if they got an actual interpreter to do those voice lines, because it reminds me a lot of the way real interpreters improvises and stutters a little while thinking how to best formulate what they are interpreting.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Terminally Bored posted:

ftfy, by all accounts he's the guy who wants all those little details in his games. Even if it means going over budget.

This game cost twenty million dollars less to make than that buggy turd of a rail shooter BioShock infinite. The budget wasn't high enough!

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
This has probably been said but ...

I get the quiet breathes through her skin, hence the skimpy clothing, but why does she need to make those noises while in the Chopper/ACC?

Im sitting there doing PMF managment poo poo on my idroid and i hear subtle mmm and uhhs coming from the other side of the chopper.

Its distracting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HardKase posted:

This has probably been said but ...

I get the quiet breathes through her skin, hence the skimpy clothing, but why does she need to make those noises while in the Chopper/ACC?

Im sitting there doing PMF managment poo poo on my idroid and i hear subtle mmm and uhhs coming from the other side of the chopper.

Its distracting.

To make you ashamed of your words and deeds, duh.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Under the vegetable posted:

This game cost twenty million dollars less to make than that buggy turd of a rail shooter BioShock infinite. The budget wasn't high enough!

Bioshock Infinite cost 100 mil??? Holy gently caress

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

I didn't mean anything hostile by it other than this is a thing he does often. He went over budget in 2 and 4 also. And ran out of dev time in both cases, too. Eurogamer article mentioned there was a large part of MGS1 cut and I guess it was the same with 3 but you won't notice it since both have (comparably) concise and coherent stories.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

To make you ashamed of your words and deeds, duh.

She's likes Boss.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The camp omega return could have been the "meanwhile snake does a mission to get info" in mission 51. But since that's all wrapped up in intro/tanker chapter type stuff I'd guess it was more fun than that.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
The expression of female sexual characteristics is haram and must be stopped at all costs.

Now, let's talk about Hot Ryu and the queer masculinity of stealth games.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

The expression of female sexual characteristics is haram and must be stopped at all costs.

Now, let's talk about Hot Ryu and the queer masculinity of stealth games.

You can have this for your 'research'

http://fuckyeahmetalgearbutts.tumblr.com

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The new Ryu w/beard is pretty hot though

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
"moenie my vir 'n poephol vat nie!". Subtitle: "you're not fooling anyone"
real translation: "Don't take me for an rear end in a top hat" (literally: poop hole)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

redreader posted:

-Huey, what the gently caress. He's all like NO NO NO IT WASN'T ME and clearly he did everything. They even play the clip at his trial where Strangelove gets locked in and he's like 'you have no proof, I have NO IDEA what you're talking about, you're all crazy!!!'

It seems like bullshit but I've met someone like that, the kind of horrible liar that believes their own lies over everything else.

Huey in this game seems to be Kojima showing us that Huey is what Otacon could have become if he never took responsibility for his own actions. Sure, Otacon is kinda wimpy but he never shied away from the fact that he built something horrible and spent the rest of his days trying to make up for it, while Huey kills SO MANY people and keeps saying he didn't do anything wrong.

Ever see the original version of "Little Shop of Horrors?" That version of Seymour isn't so sympathetic. Even to the end he keeps screaming how nothing is his fault. That's Huey.

I bet Huey probably had a snipe at Strangelove when he locked her in the pod. "Y-you always loved that drat thing more than you loved me! Y-you can just stay in there!"

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Well I don't care how dumb it is, for this one hazy night in september I am going to believe with all my heart that kojima will ride over the hill tomorrow with an announcement that will tear the world asunder

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Strangelove is clearly not bi. She's full lesbian. I don't know why she ever gave Huey a chance. It's like... it's almost like she's actually bi. But she isn't?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Turns out that Hideo Kojima was never actually working on Metal Gear Solid V. It was instead a fake, a phantom Hideo, designed to attract attention from Konami and the fans and to uphold his legend while the real Hideo Kojima created his true game in secret.

redreader posted:

Strangelove is clearly not bi. She's full lesbian. I don't know why she ever gave Huey a chance. It's like... it's almost like she's actually bi. But she isn't?

I'm not sure why you don't think she's bi. She's clearly more in love with the Boss than anyone else but that doesn't preclude her being bi.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

Well I don't care how dumb it is, for this one hazy night in september I am going to believe with all my heart that kojima will ride over the hill tomorrow with an announcement that will tear the world asunder

"I'm making a movie with Uwe Boll"

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

iGestalt posted:

"I'm making a movie with Uwe Boll"

I would watch this tbf

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

ImpAtom posted:

Turns out that Hideo Kojima was never actually working on Metal Gear Solid V. It was instead a fake, a phantom Hideo, designed to attract attention from Konami and the fans and to uphold his legend while the real Hideo Kojima created his true game in secret.

I'm not sure why you don't think she's bi. She's clearly more in love with the Boss than anyone else but that doesn't preclude her being bi.

In one stroke he finally breaks his "im not directing this poo poo again" MEME and delivers a new Snatcher game.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
An open world Snatcher game could be amazing. Cyberpunk LA Noir but by team that knows that they're doing and directed by a man who can't help but shove details into everything. Now I'm even more depressed about konami :(

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Broseph Brostar posted:

An open world Snatcher game could be amazing. Cyberpunk LA Noir but by team that knows that they're doing and directed by a man who can't help but shove details into everything. Now I'm even more depressed about konami :(

That really would be utterly incredible. Darn :(

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

This vaguely ties to the MGSV in the most contrived way possible because !!!!80s!!!!! but I've been hankering after an LA Noire sequel featuring an 80s cop duo for a while now. Would be loving perfect.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Broseph Brostar posted:

Oooh, yeah, and you know that Snatchers only come out at night and have to find ways of detecting and eliminating them while also not endangering the public.

Double twist: Everyone in the city is an android already, including you. Snatchers are just the ones that have gone berserk.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

ImpAtom posted:

Clearly I'm letting my prejudices get the better of me, but it seemed to me like she was super butch. I've known like, a couple of bi girls who are butch but ... it's a bit rare I suppose. I'm a straight guy (what else being so opinionated) so I really have no idea.

edit: also because how could anyone even like Huey

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

ImpAtom posted:

But Silent Hills was also canceled.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

redreader posted:

I'm a straight guy
trust me, we can tell.

also shocking fact: there are 'butch' girls who are 100% straight

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.
Mostly that ending just makes me want to play the real Big Boss building Outer Heaven game I know Kojima is creating right now and will finally unleash upon the world once he buys the rights to MGS from Konami on September 11th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

trust me, we can tell.

also shocking fact: there are 'butch' girls who are 100% straight

Strangelove in game says she really just wanted a baby she could pass on her genes and the bosses will with and didn't give a drat who the dad was, so she just asked the person she was working with.

She never expected Huey would be as messed as he was or she probably would have been more selective.

• Locked thread